HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

What's up with the D?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
QueenstownPa
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 am

We all know the secondary needs work but I don't get why the front 7 is so often jumping around screaming and yelling at each other trying to get the D set when the ball is snapped?

I watched this all last season in the early part of the season and again last night for the first quarter.  It's as if the D is seeing something they have never seen and it's like there are four captains all barking out calls?  I don't get it!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:55 am

That seemed to be the case for about 31 other teams this weekend. Football can be sloppy the first few weeks of the season. I'll worry if this is a common occurrence after week 3.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:41 pm

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Calling Big Dan!! (not Atlanta Dan) Where are you? Did he play? I don't remember hearing his name called once.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:27 pm

they only gave up 16 points. no problem with me

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 pm

(IMO) The game plan was for Cousins to beat our zone, Butler and Tomlin didn't believe he could(IMO). He got his yards, but he couldn't get it done in the redzone. Bend but don't break.

Still kinda worried about the pass rush, but the game against Washington isn't going to make be lose sleep. I expect to see better pass rush next week against the Bungals.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:47 am

Pro Football Focus Top defensive grades:

ILB Ryan Shazier, 88.6

CB William Gay, 79.0

DE Cameron Heyward, 75.1

DE Stephon Tuitt, 73.7

OLB Arthur Moats, 73.5

Ryan Shazier grades out as Pittsburgh’s top defender versus both the run and pass.

Shazier led the Steelers with eight overall tackles, with two of those being run stops. He was targeted four times in coverage, giving up two catches for 26 yards, but also had an interception and a pass breakup.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-steelers-redskins-grades/

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:40 am

I don't think Cousins held the ball long enough to get sacked. And the Steelers didn't attempt anything crazy. Hell, I saw twice long distance downs Jarvis Jones rush from the inside (A and B gap) ... that was nothing more than taking away the draw. Dropping 8 into coverage isn't going to result in a lot of sacks against a QB throwing in 2 seconds or less. We'll see if they get aggressive against Dalton this week.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
I don't think Cousins held the ball long enough to get sacked. And the Steelers didn't attempt anything crazy. Hell, I saw twice long distance downs Jarvis Jones rush from the inside (A and B gap) ... that was nothing more than taking away the draw. Dropping 8 into coverage isn't going to result in a lot of sacks against a QB throwing in 2 seconds or less. We'll see if they get aggressive against Dalton this week.

Yes, but on the whole, the Redskins had good pass protection and the only pressure really again was created by Heyward. Jones had a couple bull rushes that pushed Williams back in the pocket, but it just took too long.

I really hope Dupree comes back by week 8 and shows something, because Jones is a proven bust as a pass rusher and they need to manage Harrison's snap total to keep him healthy for January.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:13 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

Yes, but on the whole, the Redskins had good pass protection and the only pressure really again was created by Heyward.  Jones had a couple bull rushes that pushed Williams back in the pocket, but it just took too long.  

I really hope Dupree comes back by week 8 and shows something, because Jones is a proven bust as a pass rusher and they need to manage Harrison's snap total to keep him healthy for January.

Even against a bad O-line, 3 and 4 rushers aren't going to apply a bunch of pressure. Pressuring Cousins wasn't part of their gameplan, otherwise they would have at least run more stunts and disguised where their rushers were coming from. I really thought that defensive scheme was nothing more than the vanilla you see in the preseason. Basically, Butler was saying that Cousins couldn't throw 3 accurate passes in a row and he was right. I'm sure he's going to change that this weekend, then we'll know if they can get push the pocket (which I expect because they were doing that in the 2nd half of last year and it's the same guys).
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:29 pm

You like that?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:14 pm

16 point allowed in this modern day NFL is pretty damn good. Washington was a playoff team last year and they got spanked at home by the far superior team. Bend don't break worked.

Last edited by SteelerFreak58 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:27 pm

I'd say trying to hide the secondary weakness.

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 am

Like last year, I believe as the season progresses our defense will get better and this will no longer be as much of an issue.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:19 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Like last year, I believe as the season progresses our defense will get better and this will no longer be as much of an issue.

Agreed, it will only get better.

I think the defense is already better than where it was on opening night last year. Remember Gronk being totally uncovered and taking it into the endzone? And although there were some missed tackles against the Redskins, it was refreshing not seeing Antwon Blake fail to wrap up a receiver and seeing that receiver run 50+ yards after the catch.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

it was refreshing not seeing Antwon Blake fail to wrap up a receiver and seeing that receiver run 50+ yards after the catch.

Kind of funny, but Blake has changed his name and is listed as Valentino Blake on the Titans depth chart backing up McCourty at CB. Maybe he thinks Valentino Blake wont get abused by opposing teams like Antowan Blake did??
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

it was refreshing not seeing Antwon Blake fail to wrap up a receiver and seeing that receiver run 50+ yards after the catch.

Kind of funny, but Blake has changed his name and is listed as Valentino Blake on the Titans depth chart backing up McCourty at CB.  Maybe he thinks Valentino Blake wont get abused by opposing teams like Antowan Blake did??

Sounds like a name for a fluffer in the p@rn industry. Yeah, Valention's going to get abused alright, just not by a football player.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Any updates on Shazier? I heard he still isn't practicing and no one seems to be talking.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:01 pm

he sat out yesterday but no news on if he's practicing today or not. i hope yesterday's sit-out was precautionary.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Steelers might not be Blitzburgh anymore

By Dale Lolley
September 14, 2016

The Steelers only blitzed Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins three times in Monday’s 38-16 victory. The unusual strategy gave Cousins ample time to throw but the Steelers’ pass coverage was up to the task.

PITTSBURGH – Typically, in the aftermath of a victory, there are plenty of smiles, laughs and good feelings to be had in a locker room.

That was not the case for Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward Monday night in Washington, following a 38-16 season-opening victory.

Heyward had a far different view of things.

“It sucks. The pass rush sucked,” said Heyward. “I’ve got to get to the quarterback.

“Our DBs and linebackers covered their tails off. We’ve got to be better up front. We’ve got to get to the quarterback, especially since we’re going up against Andy Dalton and that offense. Our defensive line and our front have to be better.”

The Steelers went out of character in the win over the Redskins, sending more than four pass rushers at Kirk Cousins just three times in the game, choosing instead to drop more players into coverage.

The plan worked as the Redskins scored just one touchdown and 16 points, a total the Steelers held just five opponents under in 2015. Well, three if you throw out two games against the hapless Browns.

As Heyward noted, just because the Steelers aren’t blitzing doesn’t mean they can’t also pressure the quarterback.

But Blitzburgh? That might be a thing of the past.

“We don’t need to blitz,” Heyward said. “I think we like blitzing sometimes, but if you can sit back and get a four-man rush and dominate, why blitz? I just have that kind of confidence. We can do that week in and week out. We’ve just got to put it on film. I don’t know if it was getting the kinks out or getting the rust off, but we’ve got to have an explosion this week.”

This week will bring Andy Dalton and the Cincinnati Bengals (1-0) to Heinz Field for the fourth meeting between the two AFC North rivals in the past 12 months.

After failing to win one-on-one matchups against the Redskins to get to Cousins, Heyward and company want to change that this week to, in his words, “put Andy on his behind.”

For Heyward, who led the Steelers in sacks in each of the past two seasons, it starts with him.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160914/steelers_might_not_be_blitzburgh_anymore

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:11 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:

Agreed, it will only get better.

I think the defense is already better than where it was on opening night last year. Remember Gronk being totally uncovered and taking it into the endzone? And although there were some missed tackles against the Redskins, it was refreshing not seeing Antwon Blake fail to wrap up a receiver and seeing that receiver run 50+ yards after the catch.

I second that. It seemed to me as the game progressed the tackling got better when they kept everything in front.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:36 pm

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/steelers-injury-report-lb-ryan-shazier-practices-limited-basis-thursday/

Shazier returned to practice, limited, but still looks like he's going to be a go for Sunday
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:09 am

I like the numbers 4 of your guys against 6 of their guys that leaves you with 7 against 5. maybe Butler has some defenses drawn up for these numbers advantages?

PostSubject: Re: What's up with the D?   

Back to top Go down

What's up with the D?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: