HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line   Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Ron Cook: More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line

September 14, 2016
By Ron Cook / Pittsbugh Post-Gazette

Everybody in the football world talks about Ben Roethlisberger’s chemistry with Antonio Brown. It truly is remarkable and produces spectacular results. But there is no stronger relationship on the Steelers than the one Roethlisberger has with his offensive linemen. Maurkice Pouncey put it in perspective after the 38-16 win against the Washington Redskins Monday night.

“When Ben walks away from this sport, I’m walking right behind him.”

That’s strong.

It goes back to Roethlisberger’s rookie season after he was picked in the first round of the 2004 draft. He learned quickly that his health and success depend on what he calls “the big boys upfront.” For many years, the Steelers line wasn’t very good. Roethlisberger often took a beating, but he never blamed the linemen. “I held on to the ball too long,” he would say after being sacked four, five, six times or more.

His appreciative linemen noticed.

“He’s watched us grow,” Ramon Foster said late Monday night. “You don’t want to let that guy down.”

The Steelers linemen don’t let Roethlisberger down these days.

Roethlisberger is thankful the Steelers have maybe the NFL’s best offensive line. Management is paying for it, more than $142 million after signing David DeCastro to a six-year, $58 million deal last week. Foster is signed through the 2018 season, Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert through 2019.

“I tell them every day and, I’m not shy about telling the world, we go as they go,” Roethlisberger said. “When they have a great day, we have a great day. I thought they were awesome [Monday night].”

There will be tougher opponents ahead, starting with the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday at Heinz Field. Mike Tomlin talked about their “enormous” defensive ends — Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson — creating “ridiculous physical mismatches.” Roethlisberger also acknowledged the challenge.

“That was my message to the guys [Monday night],” he said. “Let’s enjoy this win. We earned it. But let’s not kid anybody. We know what’s coming up. It’s the Bengals. We know how good they are.”

That doesn’t mean the rest of the NFL isn’t finding out how good the Steelers linemen are.

The team hit the trifecta against the Redskins with Roethlisberger throwing for 300 yards and three touchdowns, DeAngelo Williams running for an NFL, first-weekend-best 143 yards and two touchdowns and Brown finishing with 126 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

All three excelled because of the heavy lifting done by All-Pros Pouncey and DeCastro and the other three linemen, including Al Villanueva, who, slowly but surely, is getting better at left tackle.

“In the past, we were the group that everyone looked down on,” Gilbert said. “Now, it’s our time to take charge and lead this team.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/09/14/Ron-Cook-More-impressive-than-win-was-play-of-Steelers-offensive-line/stories/201609140084

PostSubject: Re: More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line   Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Big Ben, the king of the north!
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line   Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 am

Look at dem eyes... Shocked

Munchaks got em molded into a pretty tough group.....if  they can maul people with the running game and force that safety into the box...AB and Ben will get even deadlier.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line   

Back to top Go down

More impressive than win was play of Steelers offensive line
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: