HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

James Harrison forced wide receiver Tyler Boyd to fumble, which closed the door on any Bengals comeback.

PITTSBURGH -- So this is what the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive rebuild is supposed to look like.

One soggy, throwback day of football in Heinz Field validated all those defensive draft picks and free-agency signings over the past four years. Pittsburgh slowly "de-striped" the Bengals' offense in a 24-16 victory and is at least entertaining the question of whether vintage Steelers defensive football is finally back.

Well, maybe not Polamalu-and-Harrison-in-their-prime back. But two touchdowns allowed in eight quarters? That's a heckuva start heading into Sunday's matchup with Carson Wentz and the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I think you'll continue to see us get better," safety Mike Mitchell said.

The Steelers sealed the game with the recovery of a Tyler Boyd fumble with 2:00 left. The ball came loose on a James Harrison tackle at the Steelers’ 33-yard line, and safety Robert Golden recovered.

The Steelers used to struggle to overcome the rare sluggish day from the offense. But with the passing game's inconsistency in the rain, there was the defense, holding the Bengals to 34 rushing yards on their first 16 carries and Andy Dalton to less than 50 percent passing for much of the day.

If the Steelers can win games this way, especially without having to force a bunch of turnovers, they'll really have something, because the offense’s timing won’t be this off very often.

The defining moment came late in the third quarter, with the Bengals driving 74 yards to the Steelers' 1. On first-and-goal, the Steelers got a tackle for a loss from linebacker Ryan Shazier and forced two incompletions. Shazier said the Steelers spent significant time during the week diagnosing the Bengals' goal-line offensive tendencies. They held Cincinnati to a field goal, and even that wasn't satisfying. "We were trying to hold them to nothing," Harrison said.

Make no mistake, Dalton's play was disjointed for the first three quarters, and so was the Bengals' offense. The only favorable matchup for Cincinnati’s offense was Gio Bernard in the passing game. Bernard had 100 receiving yards, including a 25-yarder where he blew by rookie corner Artie Burns.

And the rain affected both offenses. Bengals-Steelers isn’t built to be high-scoring in even good weather.

But the Steelers didn’t rely on splash plays like last year. They simply got stops, holding A.J. Green to two catches for 38 yards with Ross Cockrell following him in coverage much of the day. Two length-of-field Bengals drives resulted in field goals. This is a good red zone defense.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20274/steelers-defense-looks-promising-after-vintage-performance-vs-bengals
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:21 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

James Harrison forced wide receiver Tyler Boyd to fumble, which closed the door on any Bengals comeback.

PITTSBURGH -- So this is what the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive rebuild is supposed to look like.

One soggy, throwback day of football in Heinz Field validated all those defensive draft picks and free-agency signings over the past four years. Pittsburgh slowly "de-striped" the Bengals' offense in a 24-16 victory and is at least entertaining the question of whether vintage Steelers defensive football is finally back.

Well, maybe not Polamalu-and-Harrison-in-their-prime back. But two touchdowns allowed in eight quarters? That's a heckuva start heading into Sunday's matchup with Carson Wentz and the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I think you'll continue to see us get better," safety Mike Mitchell said.

The Steelers sealed the game with the recovery of a Tyler Boyd fumble with 2:00 left. The ball came loose on a James Harrison tackle at the Steelers’ 33-yard line, and safety Robert Golden recovered.

The Steelers used to struggle to overcome the rare sluggish day from the offense. But with the passing game's inconsistency in the rain, there was the defense, holding the Bengals to 34 rushing yards on their first 16 carries and Andy Dalton to less than 50 percent passing for much of the day.

If the Steelers can win games this way, especially without having to force a bunch of turnovers, they'll really have something, because the offense’s timing won’t be this off very often.

The defining moment came late in the third quarter, with the Bengals driving 74 yards to the Steelers' 1. On first-and-goal, the Steelers got a tackle for a loss from linebacker Ryan Shazier and forced two incompletions. Shazier said the Steelers spent significant time during the week diagnosing the Bengals' goal-line offensive tendencies. They held Cincinnati to a field goal, and even that wasn't satisfying. "We were trying to hold them to nothing," Harrison said.

Make no mistake, Dalton's play was disjointed for the first three quarters, and so was the Bengals' offense. The only favorable matchup for Cincinnati’s offense was Gio Bernard in the passing game. Bernard had 100 receiving yards, including a 25-yarder where he blew by rookie corner Artie Burns.

And the rain affected both offenses. Bengals-Steelers isn’t built to be high-scoring in even good weather.

But the Steelers didn’t rely on splash plays like last year. They simply got stops, holding A.J. Green to two catches for 38 yards with Ross Cockrell following him in coverage much of the day. Two length-of-field Bengals drives resulted in field goals. (This is a good red zone defense.)

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20274/steelers-defense-looks-promising-after-vintage-performance-vs-bengals

a good red zone defense is half the battle it's up to the red zone offense, in the playoffs when things get tight imho the Steelers offense needs to get better in the red zone scoring TDs.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 pm

The defense looked really solid. Sure Dalton put up big yardage, but a lot of that came against the prevent when they were 2 scores down. Not really worried about that.

I want to see a little more of the MLB blitz with Shazier, 2 weeks in a row he ended drives bringing pressure up the middle on key 3rd downs
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Amazing how when Deebo is in there, something good happens almost everytime.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:32 pm

@OX1947 wrote:

Sad thing is that I didn't see him in there very often. He would have caught that gift wrap INT that Jarvis Jones dropped.

Artie Burns made a nice play to deflect that pass in the end zone. I can't wait to see what he can do in the future. Cockrell and Gay did decent though. They need to tone down some of the celebrations when they make a stop on 3rd down. I kept waiting for a flag to come out.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:01 pm

@Lokki wrote:
@OX1947 wrote:

Sad thing is that I didn't see him in there very often.  He would have caught that gift wrap INT that Jarvis Jones dropped.  

Artie Burns made a nice play to deflect that pass in the end zone.  I can't wait to see what he can do in the future.  Cockrell and Gay did decent though.  They need to tone down some of the celebrations when they make a stop on 3rd down.  I kept waiting for a flag to come out.

Yeah, watch Burns in Miami and he played a lot of "trail coverage" with help over top, so that pass breakup with his long arms in the endzone is a comfort level he is used to.

The PI on the quick slant to the post and the matador tackling of Gio Bernard for a TD are part of the holes in his game he will have to get better at. I'm hopeful that he keeps getting better each week as he gets reps in Dime defenses like that.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:01 pm

I had to listen to the game on radio yesterday because the NFL decides 1-2 times a year we need to watch the Ravens in S. central PA. The announcers were convinced Boyd's knee was down so I was expecting an overturn, so was freaking when the fumble stood. That's 2 games now that Harrison sealed with a turnover. His INT didn't really matter last week, but still cool to see him finish the game.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Good in the red zone.
Good on third downs.
A.J. Green didn't torch us and better secondary play overall.
Good calls at the right times.

Hell yeah it looks promising.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 pm

@OX1947 wrote:

Coaches must agree - snap counts from yesterday

DEFENSE (of 76)

ILB Ryan Shazier, 76 (100%)
ILB Lawrence Timmons, 46 (61%)
ILB L.J. Fort, 1 (1%)

OLB Vince Williams, 0 (0%)
OLB Jarvis Jones, 57 (75%)
OLB James Harrison, 38 (50%)
OLB Arthur Moats, 37 (49%)
OLB Anthony Chickillo, 19 (25%)

At outside linebacker, Moats and Harrison each played half the game while Jones was “the chosen one” to play three-quarters of the drives – allowing Chickillo to be eased in in a limited role with Bud Dupree out. … Timmons continues to have his role reduced – in effect, coaches have decided that they’d rather have Burns on the field than him. Yes, much of the defensive personnel is dictated by what the offense is doing. But in the past, Timmons would never leave the field – and the Steelers went through a long stretch of never going dime.

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2016/09/19/adamski-steelers-reverse-trend-of-early-losses-to-bengals-ravens-plus-snap-counts/#ixzz4KkVffYbY
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:49 am

@Lokki wrote:
@OX1947 wrote:

Sad thing is that I didn't see him in there very often.  He would have caught that gift wrap INT that Jarvis Jones dropped.  

Artie Burns made a nice play to deflect that pass in the end zone.  I can't wait to see what he can do in the future.  Cockrell and Gay did decent though.  They need to tone down some of the celebrations when they make a stop on 3rd down.  I kept waiting for a flag to come out.

Considered who Cockrell was against. I would say he did an excellent job (even with help). Shut down Green and you shut down the Bengals offense.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:53 pm

NFL.com has the Steelers ranked 1 in their Power Rankings based in part on the D's play so far:

NFL.com wrote:
The top team in pro football right now. The Steelers downed two division winners from 2015 in their first two games. They did so without Le'Veon Bell and, perhaps more importantly, with consecutive stout performances from the defense. Cincinnati did manage to rack up over 400 yards of offense on Sunday. However, the key here is that Keith Butler's defense kept managing to get off the field on third down. Not to mention (but we'll mention), Andy Dalton only pieced together 16 points. How about the impending return of Bell in Week 4? Two entities don't want to see that: the rest of the AFC, and peeps (like me) who drafted (the great) DeAngelo Williams in fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' defense looks promising after vintage performance vs. Bengals   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: