HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kan_t wrote:
Jones probably is the best run defense OLB on the team. He is a good rotation OLB who could help shutting down the run. Just don't expect him to make any splash play and win any one-on-one battle.

To sum up, he's a good backup.

Yup, a backup is all that he is.  I watched the 2nd half again and Cedric Obuehi at RT handled him pretty much.  As a pass rush all he does is bull and when they stop his initial surge, there is nothing left as Jones just jogs to the play on the other side of the field.  On the front side, pretty much the same initial burst gets stopped and then he doesn't have the speed or acceleration to get to the ballcarrier or QB.

Basically, if you watch Jarvis Jones play in isolation, he shows up just a bit late after somebody else makes the tackle or the sack, because he doesn't have the speed or technique to be the one that forces the play.  Look at drafting another OLB in round 1 or 2 next year.

That's why they didn't pick up his option year, or did they and I just forgot lol
I mean they were limited in what they had already but you knew once he didn't get 'extended' his Steelers career was over. UNLESS he takes a ridiculous discount but I figure someone will pay him more no doubt.

I don't watch college ball only because I'm not interested BUT imagine they find another Shazier 'type' to come off the edge OH BABY! DYN-O-MITE!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:01 pm

@Atlanta Dan wrote:

He has "position flexibility". The substandard is the standard.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:21 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Atlanta Dan wrote:

He has "position flexibility".  The  substandard is the standard.

This question submitted during the Ed B. of the P-G chat today indicates your opinion of Jarvis is shared

Comment From Kevin in Punxsy
I saw on the PG that HC M Tomlin thought that Jarvis Jones looks like he can play either OLB position. Has Coach Tomlin taken up using drugs?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/09/20/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-9-20-16/stories/201609200161

Back to top Go down
pczach

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Atlanta Dan wrote:

So he can play both sides.......Does that mean he is equally ineffective on either side?

There is just no explosiveness in his game. He is solid against the run, but does not have elite speed or quickness, and struggles to get to the quarterback. That is the definition of an average player that is good depth on a roster....not a starting OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

I like the guy. He works hard and gives good effort in games. He just isn't talented enough to be a difference maker.

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:11 am

@pczach wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Atlanta Dan wrote:

So he can play both sides.......Does that mean he is equally ineffective on either side?

There is just no explosiveness in his game. He is solid against the run, but does not have elite speed or quickness, and struggles to get to the quarterback. That is the definition of an average player that is good depth on a roster....not a starting OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

I like the guy. He works hard and gives good effort in games. He just isn't talented enough to be a difference maker.

I keep hearing fans say "Jones is solid vs the run". But what do they mean by that??

I see him taking on the lineman and taking the contact, but not getting off the blocks to make tackles, unless they are 5 yards downfield. So, if he were a chess piece, he is a pawn. Never mind a difference maker, I'd be impressed if he logged 3 tackles in a game and 2 QB hurries. That is 1/2 a season worth of production for him. Not as useless a pick as Sharmarko, but brutal for a 1st rounder.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:06 am

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 am

Gameballs:

Sammie Coates: Played as well as I've ever seen him play. Outplayed the rest of the receiving corps. Couple of long catches, showed his speed, and talent. Was definitely more focused, and I think he's only going to get better with more time, and reps. Guy is a physical specimen to see in person. Great height, and a huge wingspan.

Jesse James: Looked great. Did well blocking, and getting out and catching passes including a leaping grab for a TD.

DeAngelo Williams: Ageless warhorse of the offense. Just plays hard, is patient, and got enough yards against a tough Bengals' front 7 to keep the Steelers offense rolling enough to get the win. Also effective in the passing game, and had a reception TD.

James Harrison: Ageless warhorse of the defense. Despite seeing less snaps than Jarvis Jones I think he was more impactful for the defense. Forced the controversial Tyler Boyd fumble that the Bungles and their fans are crying so much about. That makes him a hero in my book, salty Bungle tears taste delicious.

Ross Cockrell: Dude all but erased AJ Green. No small feat by any stretch of the imagination. This kid has really started to blossom into something special.

Goats:

Antonio Brown: Rarity to have him on this list but I'm pretty sure I counted two impactful drops where had he caught the ball, he would've had space to run for big plays. One of those drops he was trying to turn and run before he had full possession of the ball, hence the drop.

Jarvis Jones: I really didn't see him do anything that stood out. He is easily blocked, his pass rush is nothing to be scared of, and Dalton attempted to shovel a pass to I believe Jeremy Hill and instead shoveled it right into Jarvis' chest, and Jarvis dropped it. Should've been the easiest interception of his career, and could've been a nail in the Bengals' coffin. Jones just doesn't seem like anything to me but a serviceable backup in this league, but perhaps he'll surprise us... Ha, if I had $1.00 for every time I've said that, and anyone else in Steeler Nation or abroad has said that, I'd be a rich man.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 am

Gameballs:
Cockrell
Erickson (or whatever that puntreturner's name is), he gave us good field position all day with his fair catches between the 5 till 10 yard line while there was always enough room to run or to let the ball bounce into the endzone

Goat:
Ben despite his 3 TD's and clutch plays, but he had 2 interceptions and we were lucky to see that 2 others were dropped.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Jarvis Jones: I really didn't see him do anything that stood out. He is easily blocked, his pass rush is nothing to be scared of, and Dalton attempted to shovel a pass to I believe Jeremy Hill and instead shoveled it right into Jarvis' chest, and Jarvis dropped it. Should've been the easiest interception of his career, and could've been a nail in the Bengals' coffin. Jones just doesn't seem like anything to me but a serviceable backup in this league, but perhaps he'll surprise us... Ha, if I had $1.00 for every time I've said that, and anyone else in Steeler Nation or abroad has said that, I'd be a rich man.

Yeah, I still have the game on DVR and watched the first half again. Possibly the easiest day Andrew Whitworth has had at LT in a long time was his matchups with Jones. Obuguei on the other side didn't struggle that much either with Jones, but didn't absorb the bull rush as well as Whitworth. Jones seemed to have success when the TE was blocking him.

So far, this reminds me of a lot of the positive words thrown the way of Antowan Blake early last season. Only difference is that lacklustre play at OLB doesn't kill you as badly as a CB on the outside will. Looking forward to this week, when Jones can show off his greatness vs the Eagles OT's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs   

Back to top Go down

Wk2 (bungals): Goats and gameballs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: