HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:28 am

On the Steelers: Competitive Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'

September 19, 2016
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maybe Antonio Brown has spoiled everyone for so long that when he catches four passes for 39 yards and no touchdowns, it becomes breaking news.

It would be like hearing Billy Joel hit a sour note, or having watched Gene Kelly trip on his umbrella. Those things just do not happen.

But in football, they do. The greatest of all time, Jerry Rice, in his prime and in his best season of 1995 was held to five receptions for 32 yards at home against Buffalo, two catches for 21 yards at St. Louis and six catches for 43 yards at Indianapolis. Yet, he would catch 122 passes that season and lead the NFL with 1,848 yards, still third most in history.

Brown has had worse days than Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals — he was held to three catches for 24 yards vs. Arizona last season — just not with Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback lately. It had been more than three years since Brown produced such low numbers with Roethlisberger throwing him the football.

Nevertheless, Brown will live to do it another day, perhaps Sunday in Philadelphia, where the Steelers have lost eight consecutive and not won since 1965.

“I always want to have a great performance and give the fans what they came to see,’’ Brown said Monday.

Frustrated? Yes and no. The Steelers, after all, won, 24-16, and he did have that big game the week before against the Washington Redskins when he caught eight for 126 and two touchdowns. And his team is 2-0.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/09/19/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Antonio-Brown-happy-with-win-but-wants-to-put-on-performance/stories/201609190185
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:56 am

Just one game. Take it easy. The reason why Coates and crew were open was because of AB.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 am

AB is high maintenance

USA Today ran a nice story several weeks ago on AB's personal chef Niko

Three years ago he was a junkie. Now he's Antonio Brown's chef.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/antonio-brown-chef-niko-pittsburgh-steelers-addiction

AB has now fired Niko

http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/20/antonio-brown-fires-chef-niko-break-up/

Maybe AB found out Niko was cooking for Coates, Rogers, Grimble and James too?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Brown not happy as decoy   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:04 am

By Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – The resident Canada goose season in Pennsylvania opened Sept. 1, meaning more than one decoy was put out across the state.

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown was unhappy about the one that was on display last Sunday at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh’s 24-16 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Brown, the NFL’s leading receiver over the past three seasons with 375 receptions, felt he was used as more of a decoy at times in the win over the Bengals, when he had just four receptions for 39 yards, his lowest totals in a game started by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger since Brown had just two receptions for 22 yards in a Dec. 30, 2012, game against Cleveland.

His displeasure bubbled over early in the third quarter when he raised his hands and stomped off the field in disgust after Roethlisberger threw incomplete on a deep pass down the sideline to Sammie Coates.

It was a moment similar to one he had last season when Landry Jones was filling in for Roethlisberger.

Guard Ramon Foster quickly diffused the situation, talking to Brown as they walked off the field. And Roethlisberger and Brown spoke between series regarding the outburst on the sideline. Neither feels it will be an issue for the Steelers (2-0) this week when they travel to Philadelphia (2-0) Sunday.

“I’m pretty sure they kissed and made up,” said Foster jokingly.

Roethlisberger said he didn’t take offense.

“I’ve been in the league long enough to know every single receiver is open on every single play,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s just what you’re used to. But, he’s the best in the world, and we won the game. That’s most important. I think that’s most important to him, too.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160921/steelersx2019_brown_not_happy_as_decoy
--------------------------------------

I have mixed feelings about Brown exhibiting any kind of frustration either on or off the field. On the one hand, the team is more important than any one player, and the bottom line is getting the win, which they did. On the other hand, it looked like, at least from my perspective, that Ben wasn't even looking for Brown much of the game. Being the competitor that he is, I can understand him being frustrated. As long as he doesn't make it more about him than the team, it's all good.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 am

If AB didn't drop that catch, It would be another 5 catch 50 yards game.

It's a non-issue.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:52 am

Needs to quit worrying about putting on a show, and worry more about the winning part of it all. Bigger picture AB. You worry about winning, and the stats will come along naturally. It isn't a one man show out there. We're stacked at almost every position offensively.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:10 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Needs to quit worrying about putting on a show, and worry more about the winning part of it all. Bigger picture AB. You worry about winning, and the stats will come along naturally. It isn't a one man show out there. We're stacked at almost every position offensively.

I'm sure he does, but after a bad performance it's natural to want to play better. I used to game competitively and sometimes I used to play bad (for me) and still win some games. Although I was happy with the result, I still got down on myself if I didn't play as well as I should have. He just wants to bounce back from that last game and I hope he does, it can only increase our chance of winning the next game
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

I don't care how good you are even the best have games that are average. He is the best in the game right now but if he doesn't play with the team first mentality he only half as good as he can be. Take a page out of Heinz's style. Jerome was unselfish also. Heath, Aaron Smith. The list goes on and that's why we have 6 trophies. Not because of 1 WR.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:15 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I'm sure he does, but after a bad performance it's natural to want to play better. I used to game competitively and sometimes I used to play bad (for me) and still win some games. Although I was happy with the result, I still got down on myself if I didn't play as well as I should have. He just wants to bounce back from that last game and I hope he does, it can only increase our chance of winning the next game

AB wants the big contract or the leverage to go elsewhere if the Steelers will not give it to him - that requires stats, which are also necessary for any more endorsement deals

I do not buy the "he is just a competitor" line - trying to show up Ben the same way he showed up Landry Jones last year was nonsensical
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 am

Antonio Brown confirms he was told to change shoes or stay in the locker room

Posted by Zac Jackson on September 27, 2016

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown changed out of his yellow and blue shoes at halftime of last weeks loss to the Eagles, but not by choice.

On his weekly Pittsburgh radio show Tuesday night, Brown confirmed that game officials gave him a choice: Change his shoes or stay in the locker room.

That was first reported by Mark Kaboly of DKPittsburghSports.com.

Brown changed his shoes for the second half. His yellow and blue shoes were an NFL uniform violation.

When Brown was fined for his blue shoes and his touchdown dance in the season opener, he said the fines were “nothing to a boss.” But the boss wanted to keep playing, so he changed his shoes last Sunday.

He can expect another fine this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/27/antonio-brown-confirms-he-was-told-to-change-shoes-or-stay-in-the-locker-room/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:04 pm

AB is going to honor Arnold Palmer by wearing these shoes tomorrow:

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:20 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
AB is going to honor Arnold Palmer by wearing these shoes tomorrow:

"Every week, I'm going to try to keep some motivation or put a picture of somebody that means the most to me or inspires me to keep me encouraged," Brown said. "I'm definitely going to follow the rules in regards to sticking to the team color." ...

Brown, who said he believes inscriptions are "cool" with the league as long as they aren't explicit, spent time at Palmer's house in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, before 2016 training camp.

"A guy like Arnold, his legacy and what he meant not only to the world, but to Latrobe, to Pennsylvania, his legacy will live on," Brown said. "An inspiring guy. I'm glad I got a moment to share with him."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17678746/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-salute-arnold-palmer-picture-cleats

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'   

Back to top Go down

Competitive Antonio Brown happy with win but wants to put on 'performance'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: