HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Gameballs:

Landry Jones did enough to help put the team in a position to win. He could of been better but nobody else was really stepping up their game, and Brown cramping up killed the offense. Bell, and Brown have to relied upon way too heavily. DHB made a couple plays, but balanced those out by disappearing at times, and dropping the ball. Cobi Hamilton made a couple of nice catches.

Goats:

Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler. Coaching was abysmal. Poor clock management (again), wasted timeouts, costly penalties that shouldn't be happening, sitting back in zones all game and letting Brady methodically pick us apart. Failing to make adjustments to cover Gronkowski.

The defense. Once again an inability to stop the run, even against a slow, average running back in Blount. Missed tackles at the worst times. Giving up easy TDs, and they can't get the QB on the ground even when they get ahold of them.

Boswell. Easily the worst game I've seen. Shanked two kicks and killed our momentum. All that work by the offense for nothing. The 42 yarder should of been made, the 54 a little more forgiveable, but particularly awful as it wasn't even close.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:54 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Gameballs:

Landry Jones did enough to help put the team in a position to win. He could of been better but nobody else was really stepping up their game, and Brown cramping up killed the offense. Bell, and Brown have to relied upon way too heavily. DHB made a couple plays, but balanced those out by disappearing at times, and dropping the ball. Cobi Hamilton made a couple of nice catches.

Goats:

Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler. Coaching was abysmal. Poor clock management (again), wasted timeouts, costly penalties that shouldn't be happening, sitting back in zones all game and letting Brady methodically pick us apart. Failing to make adjustments to cover Gronkowski.

The defense. Once again an inability to stop the run, even against a slow, average running back in Blount. Missed tackles at the worst times. Giving up easy TDs, and they can't get the QB on the ground even when they get ahold of them.

Boswell. Easily the worst game I've seen. Shanked two kicks and killed our momentum. All that work by the offense for nothing. The 42 yarder should of been made, the 54 a little more forgiveable, but particularly awful as it wasn't even close.

Got to listen to the game on the raido.

Fully agree. I would add AB to the Goats as well. As someone for who "business is boomin'," he has been nearly invisible lately. Where's the dynamic player that no one can cover?
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Gameball- O-Line, Timmons was busy, J. Jones is coming around.

Goats- Coaches...
Back to top Go down
Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Would people stop blaming the coaches for losses.  The coaches didn't hold costing us a TD that would have tied the game, and IMO that was huge in the game because we missed a FG right after that, the coaches didn't miss FGs.  The players are the one's that have to come off the blocks and make a tackle, but don't you all think that not having Cam Heyward in there is the reason our run D has been so awful last 2 weeks.
I didn't like not going for it on the missed 54 yd FG and I didn't like the challenge, but clock management was more of a lack of urgency and confusion on the players than the coaches. If the players are unsure and confused then TBH thats more on them. Everybody had there hand in this, not just the coaches.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Gameballs:  None

Goats:  Tomlin- 54 yd. FG attempt instead of going for it at 4th and 2  
                     Poor clock management.....wasted timeouts..... which is the norm  
          Butler and his defense - bad against the run.....poor tackling..... did he really think that Timmons could cover    Edelman  
Back to top Go down
muncher
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:40 pm

get off tomlin and his clock management and halftime adjustment, he's still learning
Back to top Go down
muncher
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Gameballs:  None

Goats:  Tomlin- 54 yd. FG attempt instead of going for it at 4th and 2  
                     Poor clock management.....wasted timeouts..... which is the norm  
          Butler and his defense - bad against the run.....poor tackling..... did he really think that Timmons could cover    Edelman  

golden sucked and shazier was invisible
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:59 pm

game ball - bye week. I don't think we can beat anybody with half our starters banged up

goat - injuries. I honestly thought the team fought pretty tough but was just outmanned by a healthier Patriots* squad
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 am

Le'Veon was our best, and Hamilton was admirable. Landry gave it a good try and didn't do half bad, but with the EONS of time he had to stand in the pocket surveying the field (kudos OL) he should've been able to find more decent targets than he did.

Every kick from Boswell hooked to the right, and there's no good reason why......probably his first bad game.

The goat goes to our defense, who can't stop the run, and can't stop the pass, providing large holes down the middle, that continue to be exploited as much this season as the last, with no clear scapegoat in sight.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am

As banged up as we are we should have won this game.

Game Ball: Bell for making the most of what he had and he didn't have much. They stacked the box daring Jones to throw.

I'd like to give the O-line one but with several false starts (no excuse for that at home) and at least a couple holding calls cost us points.

I'd like to give one to Jones but he had time to write a letter to his Mom back there and couldn't find people open. He needed to play above his pay grade and he almost pulled it off.

Goats:Tomlin/Haley. That 54 yard FG I'm pretty sure would have been the longest at Heinz and sometimes I think Tomlin is more interested in that than playing smart. Poor clock management and no second half adjustments.
Butler. Gronk only caught one ball in the first half. Did he really think they would not look to throw to him in the second half? As a coach you have to know your players strengths and weaknesses. Putting Timmons on Edelman was not playing to Timmons strength. Not scheming to double cover Gronk would be the same as them not planning for AB. Stupid.

Defense. The only guy slower than Jesse James on that field yesterday was Brady and they let him run for 3 first downs. Inexcusable! Doesn't anyone on this defense have a swim move? All I saw all day was bull rushing to the outside. That's fine if you get there but it's predictable as hell. All the tackles had to do was guide them past the QB. When they did get to Brady (twice I think) they couldn't finish.
I thought a little payback on Blount would have been sweet but nooo. Here's a plan. That big ass neanderthal that wears 87,you may want to keep an eye on him. Dude can catch.

The fact is we beat ourselves. This wasn't a beat down. They didn't dominate us. We didn't play well enough to beat an over rated team.

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 am

I know everyone is Tomlin for going for the 54yd FG and I agree I'd rather of seen them go for it and not get it. It shows they are trying to score points based on the situation in the game but the FG just felt weak especially from 54 yards out.

oh well we're on to the bye week :)
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:54 am

Gameballs:
Landry Jones - played well and kept it close. Thought he did a great job of commanding the offense
DHB - I feel like he's been the most productive WR the last 2 weeks
Bell - without Williams to spell him, he carried the load
Offensive line - did a great job protecting Jones

Goats:
Brown - yeah, I get it, you were double teamed (at least what I heard), but 'Business is Boomin'. The last two games it's been barely a blip on the radar
Boswell - missed some easy FGs (I don't count the 54-yarder against you)
Coaches - bad decisions throughout the game cost this team the opportunity to win

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:33 am

solardave wrote:
As banged up as we are we should have won this game.

Game Ball: Bell for making the most of what he had and he didn't have much. They stacked the box daring Jones to throw.

I'd like to give the O-line one but with several false starts (no excuse for that at home) and at least a couple holding calls cost us points.

I'd like to give one to Jones but he had time to write a letter to his Mom back there and couldn't find people open. He needed to play above his pay grade and he almost pulled it off.

Goats:Tomlin/Haley. That 54 yard FG I'm pretty sure would have been the longest at Heinz and sometimes I think Tomlin is more interested in that than playing smart. Poor clock management and no second half adjustments.
Butler. Gronk only caught one ball in the first half. Did he really think they would not look to throw to him in the second half? As a coach you have to know your players strengths and weaknesses. Putting Timmons on Edelman was not playing to Timmons strength. Not scheming to double cover Gronk would be the same as them not planning for AB. Stupid.

Defense. The only guy slower than Jesse James on that field yesterday was Brady and they let him run for 3 first downs. Inexcusable! Doesn't anyone on this defense have a swim move? All I saw all day was bull rushing to the outside. That's fine if you get there but it's predictable as hell. All the tackles had to do was guide them past the QB. When they did get to Brady (twice I think) they couldn't finish.
I thought a little payback on Blount would have been sweet but nooo. Here's a plan. That big ass neanderthal that wears 87,you may want to keep an eye on him. Dude can catch.

The fact is we beat ourselves. This wasn't a beat down. They didn't dominate us. We didn't play well enough to beat an over rated team.

So, let us declare yesterday's game a moral victory.  

As for the Patriots** being overrated....if they're overrated, so are we...only moreso.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:54 am

Gameballs:

Landry Jones: One pass that hung up and got picked (and I still think Brown needed to fight for that ball better than he did). I hear everyone saying he had all day and should have found open receivers, but I think his receivers were in the M.A.S.H. tents and a bunch of scrubs were running routes. Landry threw good enough to make the game competitive. One holding call and two missed FGs and this could have been a huge upset for him.

Jarvis Jones - A forced fumble, a recovered fumble, collecting two holding calls (that would have been sacks) and some really good run support. He's been close to making plays all year, but finally put it together yesterday. Hopefully, he starts a trend.

O-line - Although there was a costly holding penalty and a few false starts (which will happen with a backup QB), I thought the line did well in run and pass blocking.

Honorable Mentions

Colby Hamilton - It has to be tough running scout offense from the practice squad, then come in knowing the playbook well enough to make plays. He has potential.

DHB - Veteran leadership and a weapon when there is a lack of them at the WR position.

Goats -

Run Defense - They miss Heyward ... I really believe his return shores that up.

Tomlin's challenges - I swear, that red flag is nothing more than an emotional hanky. They need to get someone who can watch replays and call it down to him. That Gonk catch wasn't even close when you see the replays. Tomlin threw that flag before any replays even started.

Boswell - He was off, pure and simple. He didn't even look comfortable kicking FGs. His motion just didn't look right.

Patriots* - I hate them.  

Dishonorable Mention

Anthony Chickillo - The first Brady scamble for a 1st down, Chickillo didn't keep outside contain and Brady, running his 8 second 40 speed, ran to the right for the yardage. I understand Brady's 2 other 1st down scrambles because he found his way up the middle. But he should be the last person in the league to break outside contain and scramble away. I wouldn't have called Chick out on this one play if he made other plays, but he was largely absent on game film last night.

Refs - The Artie Burns penalty was plain stupid. "Throwing the ball carrier to the ground", isn't that called a "tackle"? And the ball carrier landed on top of Burns. But I also think the Hightower call against Bell was just as stupid (blow the whistle and throw the flag all in one motion). They called DHB for OPI, then missed the call against the Patricheats on the deep Coates throw. DHB has to bitch at them on the punt being knocked into the endzone. Then there were a couple late hits out of bounds by the Pats* that even Phil Simms mentioned. The Steelers didn't lose this game because of the refs, but stupid calls or obvious missed calls makes it hard to appreciate the game ... especially when the league has lower ratings.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Soooo they couldn't Put Justin Gilbert in there to Cover Gronk?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01 pm

BKAnthem wrote:

Why would you put your #5 DB on the best TE in the game??
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:06 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

I do think he would've been a better match for Gronk than LBs and Safeties.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

I do think he would've been a better match for Gronk than LBs and Safeties.

I thought that guys like Sean Davis and Shazier were drafted to match up against some of these bigger athletic TE's.

IMO, gameplanning Justin Gilbert on Gronkowski is like gameplanning that you rush 4 and expect Jarvis Jones to give Joe Thomas fits in the passing game. Neither guy has proven the ability to be up to the task.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

He's only #5 because he's not up to speed on the D...he's not #5 because of talent...he has size, speed, and he does know how to cover...hell the can put Cortez Allen on Gronk when he was here, but not Gilbert? Really? Would he have been any worse than Golden?
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

He's only #5 because he's not up to speed on the D...he's not #5 because of talent...he has size, speed, and he does know how to cover...hell the can put Cortez Allen on Gronk when he was here, but not Gilbert? Really? Would he have been any worse than Golden?

I suspect the answer falls in the scheme. Gronk did nothing with Shazier covering him. His two long plays came with Golden covering him. Putting Gilbert on Gronk when the defense was already having issues stopping the run would have only made that problem worse. They would love to see Gilbert try to get off from a Gronk block. They'd run the ball until the Steelers pulled Gilbert. So they had a LB and S covering him.

Of the two big plays by Gronk, the TD came when Davis failed to cover the middle of the field and went to the deep out. The second long play came when Golden had Gronk in man coverage in the middle of the field and got juked. I get that a rookie hosed coverage on the TD, but a 6' 6" 267lbs player shouldn't be able to juke a defensive back like he did on the long catch and run.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:50 pm

The more Golden plays, the more he shows that his best position is backup safety.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:09 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
The more Golden plays, the more he shows that his best position is backup safety.

A lot of these guys we have on defense are back ups on other teams at best. Arthur Moats, Robert Golden, Jarvis Jones... None of them have been nearly productive enough as starters. I love Moats, dude has a great work ethic, and I love Golden as well but they're back ups on other teams. Jarvis Jones looked like he could be a good one when they drafted him out of Georgia, but all he's proven is that he'd be a serviceable back-up in this league.

We need starting talent on this team, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Outside of Heyward, and Tuitt we don't have anyone else that can consistently rush the passer and it's killing us in trying to defend against the pass.

It's scary to think just how good this defense could be if we had some outside edge rushers at the OLB position. We've got guys in Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave that can rush the passer on the DL, but right now they're being asked to do way too much because the linebackers can't get to the QB.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Rick5895 wrote:
Would people stop blaming the coaches for losses.

Coaches don't get a "bye" from the blame. They come up with the game plan and call the plays. They put the team in the best possible position to win (as they see fit) and it's up to the players to execute. IMO, the schemes were not the correct ones on defense and thus, blame falls on Butler.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:57 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
Rick5895 wrote:
Would people stop blaming the coaches for losses.

Coaches don't get a "bye" from the blame.  They come up with the game plan and call the plays.  They put the team in the best possible position to win (as they see fit) and it's up to the players to execute.   IMO, the schemes were not the correct ones on defense and thus, blame falls on Butler.

Yup, that and the losing record to below .500 teams, this is inexcusable. The team not playing up to their potential / ability really falls on coaching.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Goat - Ben for asking for Brady's jersey  

Let’s all watch Ben Roethlisberger ask Tom Brady for a jersey

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger really, really wanted to play Sunday against the New England Patriots* on Sunday, but a torn meniscus kept Big Ben on the sideline. Still, he was able to connect with New England quarterback Tom Brady before the game, and the two apparently have formed something of a mutual-admiration society because Roethlisberger straight-up asked Brady for one of his jerseys....

You’ll know things are serious if Roethlisberger asks Brady to help him move

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/10/27/lets-all-watch-ben-roethlisberger-ask-tom-brady-for-a-jersey/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats   

Back to top Go down

Steelers Patriots*** Gameballs/Goats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: