HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Season over

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:39 pm

This is not a good team, week in and week out I haven't seen a more unprepared team. They can't even get ready to play a top division rival. I'm calling it now we're having an 8-8 season at best
Back to top Go down
SteelerEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Well, it's been pretty well known that the Ravens have been in Ben's head for a while now. Just look at his stats and our W-L record over the last 12 games the team played them (we lost 9 of em').

I'm not even convinced of a playoff win this yr, way short of being a championship team.

Last edited by SteelerEmpire on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:19 pm

@SteelerEmpire wrote:
Well, it's been pretty well known that the Ravens have been in Ben's head for a while now. Just look at his stats and our W-L record over the last 12 games the team played them (we lost 9 of em').

I'm not even convinced of a playoff win this yr, way short of being a championship team.

It's just a bad team with a great QB. If not for Ben this team would be 0-8. If he plays bad it's a guaranteed loss
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:30 pm

More freaking injuries too. We can't make it through a game without losing more players. The team seems cursed.

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Defense really didn't do to bad considering how the offense completely shit the bed.
Back to top Go down
muncher
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:43 pm

only thing worse than our players and coaches is our division.
hard to believe the afc north has become the worst division in football
8-8 may just win it
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 pm

I thought I'd be able to suppress the fan rage and keep it to a minimum until it blew over.....but then someone on that ffffing coaching staff told our kicker to try that clown show shit at the end and I'm fuming again......

How the fuck does someone get paid to coach football and call that.....

Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:54 pm

I was texting with my son during the game, he thought we would end up 10-6 after this mess. I DISAGREED. This game plus the last 2, especially that mess against the Dolphins 6-10may not be a stretch!! I certainly hope not. That 4th Q today was a nice effort but ........
I will say this, aside from that 95 yd TD by Wallace, our D played a nice game, good intensity.
Some observations I have, Mike Mitchell is a liability and quite frankly should be cut this off season. Shazier balled out today as did Deebo, but when a 38 year old player gives the most effort on the field there is a problem. The young kids on D played well, they made the odd mistakes but that will happen, they need to keep playing. I wonder why Gilbert wasn't given a hat today?!
The injury to DHB is disheartening to me, he gives it everything he has every play.

This team has the look of the mid 80's Steelers, lost all of our great players of the 70's and just not well prepared to play. Chuck was able to squeeze top effort out of what he had but....Tomlin ain't no NOLL

There is still tie to recover but these players seemed to have tuned out Tomlin and are playing somewhat disinterested.

Until Next week Cheers!!
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:23 pm

I bet the Cowgirls are licking their chops.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:50 pm

@WVABE wrote:
I bet the Cowgirls are licking their chops.

Yep 4-5 here we come
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:59 pm

No, Steelers will win next week. because the only time they are worth shit is when everyone tells them they are shit. That's the mentality of an immature simpleton. You wanna be great, be great when they know you are coming. Anyone can luck into shit. If you want consistent greatness, you need to do it week in week out and if you have a set back every now and then, fine, it happens but not regularly.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Technically it's not over but it feels over. Poor tackling, dumb penalties, players look unprepared, team out of sync in general....
I blame the coaches. Either that or our players forgot how to play.

I'm leaning on the former
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm

@Steeler-in-west wrote:
Technically it's not over but it feels over. Poor tackling, dumb penalties, players look unprepared, team out of sync in general....

Before you can beat a team, you have to beat the guy in front of you. O line didn't beat the guys in front of them in the run game. The WR's beat some of the guys covering them, but Ben threw it to the guys that were double covered most of the day.

Defensively the Steelers contained the run, but a couple mistakes and big plays hurt (Davis not blocking in the punt, Burns not able to cover the slant and Mitchell taking a bad angle). I still think intermediate crossing routes are far too easy vs the Steelers and the pass rush is the worst I have seen in 35 years as a Steeler fan. That isn't coaching, its lack of talent.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Watch this team beat Dallas by 2+ TD's next week.

Completely different team at home.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:35 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Steeler-in-west wrote:

Before you can beat a team, you have to beat the guy in front of you.  O line didn't beat the guys in front of them in the run game.  The WR's beat some of the guys covering them, but Ben threw it to the guys that were double covered most of the day.

Defensively the Steelers contained the run, but a couple mistakes and big plays hurt (Davis not blocking in the punt, Burns not able to cover the slant and Mitchell taking a bad angle).  I still think intermediate crossing routes are far too easy vs the Steelers and the pass rush is the worst I have seen in 35 years as a Steeler fan.  That isn't coaching, its lack of talent.

Its hard to believe this highly touted offense 30+ ppg couldn't score against the Ravens until late in the game. We had the o-line intact, Bell, AB, were there. the talent on O was unquestioned. Can't agree, the O does not lack talent. If Ben couldn't plant couldn't plant his foot and connect, maybe he shouldn't have been playing. the D played well enough (The Ravens are not world beaters). the Offense looked totally different than the one from earlier this season and that was with Bell missing. Delay of games, false starts, poor play calling (A run on 3rd and 4?), too many men on the field on D? ; to me the coaches are not looking good.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:05 am

@Fire Arians wrote:
This is not a good team, week in and week out I haven't seen a more unprepared team. They can't even get ready to play a top division rival. I'm calling it now we're having an 8-8 season at best

Looks that way - I had thought the Thanksgiving game against the Colts was a win but after watching Luck torch the Packers (who are having as disappointing a season as the Steelers in another crap division) not any more

Remaining schedule - I am guessing the Steelers go 3-1 at home and 1-3 on the road

L-   Dallas
W- @Cleveland
L-  @Indy
W- Giants
L- @Bills
L -@Cincy
W- Ravens
W- Browns
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 am

The season isn't over, but it is hanging by a thread. 4-4 to start, with the 3 of the losses [BAL, MIA, and PHI] being complete and total ineptness. At least the NE loss was somewhat competitive.

The wins were also all over the map, from the tough CIN win to the blowout KC win.

We're 8 games in. We know what team we have. It is an inconsistent team that, if firing, can run with anyone. If not, they tend to get blown out.

A loss next week when DAL comes to town, and I think that's all she wrote.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:35 am

This one really has to be on coaching and Ben. When you are stacking 8-9 in the box and calling a draw, draw, 20+ yd pass...what the hell do you think is going to happen with a QB coming off of surgery too soon? Emabarrasing to say the least, but I'm used to it. We can't beat Baltimore at home no matter how shitty their team is. Harbaugh knows how to make Tomlin look like the shitstick he is.

This season can still be salvaged because we will go on to beat teams we have no right beating, AKA Dallas next week. We will sneak into the playoffs, and then a key injury will give us the excuse we need to bow out early. Then it's on to next year and we can all have the 30 PPG hope we had this year.

Oh and one other thing about that onside kick. Boswell suggested it as he did it successfully at Rice:

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:51 am

I started thinking the season may be a lost cause before the game yesterday..on 1 of the pre-game shows they showed a stat that the Steelers have the "easiest" remaining schedule..and I think we all know how well they play against "easy' teams.....

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:23 am

@Steeler-in-west wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Steeler-in-west wrote:

Before you can beat a team, you have to beat the guy in front of you.  O line didn't beat the guys in front of them in the run game.  The WR's beat some of the guys covering them, but Ben threw it to the guys that were double covered most of the day.

Defensively the Steelers contained the run, but a couple mistakes and big plays hurt (Davis not blocking in the punt, Burns not able to cover the slant and Mitchell taking a bad angle).  I still think intermediate crossing routes are far too easy vs the Steelers and the pass rush is the worst I have seen in 35 years as a Steeler fan.  That isn't coaching, its lack of talent.

Its hard to believe this highly touted offense 30+ ppg couldn't score against the Ravens until late in the game. We had the o-line intact, Bell, AB, were there. the talent on O was unquestioned. Can't agree, the O does not lack talent. If Ben couldn't plant couldn't plant his foot and connect, maybe he shouldn't have been playing. the D played well enough (The Ravens are not world beaters). the Offense looked totally different than the one from earlier this season and that was with Bell missing. Delay of games, false starts, poor play calling (A run on 3rd and 4?), too many men on the field on D? ; to me the coaches are not looking good.

The offense is very talented, but they didn't play to their capabilities and the prime offender was #7. Sure the Ravens front 7 is good and the O line changes a bit without Pouncey, but they need to run block better. Defensively we lack talent in the pass rush and secondary for sure still.

Ask yourself this question....Who played a better game at QB? Landry Jones vs the Patriots* Defense or Ben Roethisberger vs the Ravens Defense?? That might give you a hint as to why this "highly touted offense" didn't put up 30 points.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Ask yourself this question....Who played a better game at QB?  Landry Jones vs the Patriots** Defense or Ben Roethisberger vs the Ravens Defense??  That might give you a hint as to why this "highly touted offense" didn't put up 30 points.

Exactly. Ben's record when coming off injury is poor. And he usually comes back ahead of schedule. I was hoping to see Jones out there and give Ben another 2 weeks to heal. And I didn't see him favoring that knee, so I am placing no blame on his injury. Bad reads and really bad throws.
Back to top Go down
SteelerEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:56 am

High powered offense ? What good is owning a Bugatti when it breaks down every other time you use it ?

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:15 pm

@SteelerEmpire wrote:

And what changed?  

Ben used to dominate the Ravens.  Make big throws, big plays at key moments, for 8 years.  

Then it changed.  

What are these numbers below?  

17, 7, 10, 23, 19, 20, 6, 43, 17, 20, 17, 14.  

That would be Todd Haley's offensive system, in 12 games vs. the Ravens since 2009.

20 points or less on offense, in 10 of them.

And before someone even asks?  Arians was 20 points or less on offense, in 8 of his 12 games as our OC vs. the Ravens.

Two games better.  

Before yesterday? The Steelers had scored 20 or less on offense, in 10 of their past 16 road games.  I'm pretty sure those 16 games weren't all against the supposed in Ben's head Baltimore Ravens.

To compare?

Joe Walton who was laughed out of the NFL?  Was 12 of 16 in two years in Pittsburgh.

Kevin Gilbride who was laughed out of Pittsburgh?  Was the same 10 of 16 in two years there.  

And Haley's playing with MORE talent than those two had, and in an NFL where the league is designed to score points.  

At what point does Art II realize this isn't working?  

But what sickens me?  Is that Haley gets all the credit on the rare occasion the offense lights it up, but it's Ben and Tomlin who get the blame when it stinks.  

Why?  

Because Toddy went to Upper St. Clair?  BFD.  

This offense doesn't work because Toddy can't stay out of the way.  His constant mixing and matching disrupts the flow of his own offense.  And this is usually after we start slow, because he has to run the ball to start games, where as the first 8 years of Ben's career with Whiz/BA, they'd come out firing.  

20 or less on offense, in 34 of 74 games of the Haley Era.  

That's not good enough.  And again, it's mostly due to his constant shuffling of the deck, because if he doesn't?  That limits his role on game days.  And he won't have it, as Charlie Batch. who played FOR Haley, has stated on more than one occasion.  

All is not lost.  ALL the Ravens did yesterday was hold serve.  

We have 8 games left.  Send this buffoon on his way, or at least take away his play-calling, and setting formation responsibilities away from him and hand them to QB Randy Coach Fichtner. Get back to the Steelers PROVEN method of success when it comes to OC's since 1990.  

Go three wide, 1 TE, 1 RB, and mix and match Ben from under center and the shotgun.  Give the OL less bodies to deal with at the LOS. Every 3rd series, if he gets the ball or not? Put DW in for Bell to save his legs. Stop the ridiculous two TE sets out of Jones/Grimble/David Johnson. They aren't exactly Gronk and Aaron Hernandez clones out there.    

And more importantly, give the offense some continuance for more than five minutes.  

Win the North.  

The BEST defense, the Steelers face every year?  Is Todd Haley himself.  He kills the rhythm of his own offense because he won't stay out of their way.

After 4 1/2 years of this crap?  It has to stop.  

It's time.

Or you may as well can Tomlin, promote Haley, trade Ben, and start over.

Because THIS, current ownership induced arrangement, isn't working.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Season over   Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Ask yourself this question....Who played a better game at QB?  Landry Jones vs the Patriots*** Defense or Ben Roethisberger vs the Ravens Defense??  That might give you a hint as to why this "highly touted offense" didn't put up 30 points.

Exactly. Ben's record when coming off injury is poor. And he usually comes back ahead of schedule. I was hoping to see Jones out there and give Ben another 2 weeks to heal. And I didn't see him favoring that knee, so I am placing no blame on his injury. Bad reads and really bad throws.

I think you and I are the only people that actually wanted to see Landry Jones start this game instead of Ben. I agree with you completely and think Ben should have been the backup, Jones starts and Ben comes in if needed. Bad reads and bad throws are the real reason why the offense didn't do much....but I will give secondary blame to the Offensive line for not owning the run blocking game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Season over   

Back to top Go down

Season over
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: