HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

More balls and less goats this week, at least

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Steel Peon

PostSubject: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Ben, AB, Bell, and basically the entire offense did as good as could be expected despite some asinine play calls, and 2-pt tries, so they all get balls.

The goats start with Tomlin and filter out to the entire defense and STs coverage unit, who make tackling anyone look like Sisyphus trying to push a boulder uphill. Fucking Antwon Blake was better at tackling (2nd on our team last year) than most of the practice dummies we have floating around out there, and I would gladly have him back. I want to fire up a jet engine under Tomlin's ass right now.

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:31 pm

With 4 losses in a row, nobody get's a game ball.

They need to get their s*** together.

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Gameballs - None. Just not seeing anyone playing above the line. Ben was o.k., but not great. Too many drives stalled out when the offense should have put this game out of reach.

Goats - The entire defense failed, but that's kind of expected at this point. One guy stuck out for me today. Hate to goat a rookie, but for the second game in a row, Davis made critical mistakes that cost the team big. Last week he failed to block a defender on a punt that got blocked and returned for a TD. This week he lost contain on the longer kick return, didn't get over on the Bryant TD, and had a huge face-mask penalty that just killed the defense at the most critical time of the game.

This isn't a good team right now. The offense just isn't dominating, which was the expectation. They either fail altogether, like last week, or don't put teams away when they have the chance, like today. Hopefully the rookie growing pains will be worth it when next season rolls around. Or maybe God will finally listen to my prayers and those guys start pulling it together for a run in the 2nd half of this year.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:04 pm

goat - defense, tomlin. i knew it was just a matter of time before being cute with 2pt conversions would bite them. they should have stopped that crap after it failed the first time. they left 4 points on the field which ended up being huge
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:23 am

Didn't see the whole game so my post might be little off, but from what i did see:

Game ball: Bell, trying to do everything as usual, block, catch, rush like a beast: he was getting something out of nothing almost every time.

Goat: Tomlin for stubbornly going for two points. His maverick, 'don't live in our fears' approach is looking hollow with the losses piling up. 2 point failed attempts cost us 3 or 4 points. Saw Burns also get toasted a few times, but on one or two Bryant was pushing off.

This has got to be the most disappointing season of all time. Now its looking like we won't even make the playoffs. Super Bowl favorites? This is more than just injuries. Certainly losing MB due to suspension hurts but there's more to this and i'm looking at coaching

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:37 am

Game ball: for Bell. Also Jesse James, he didn't play to the level of Bell or Ben but I really like the effort he gives game after game. Reminds me of Randy Grossman

Goat: coaching. 4 game losing streak, 2 games that should have been no doubt, 2 against top 5 teams that should have been wins. It just seems there's lack of discipline, poor game planning, poor in game decisions. It was disgusting watching Jerry Jones celebrating at Heinz. I will continue watching every game, but I am starting to get numb to this.
Back to top Go down
Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 am

Game Ball-- BEN, early in the week he says follow me, He played his ass off, trying to show at least some leadership. I also love that he's calling the team and it seems coaches out for being undisciplined and no accountability. Bell gets a game ball as well.

Goats--the D. Given a lead to protect with 42 seconds left and they can't hold them. 3 quarters they played aggressively then went to that damn soft zone. I don't care how good Shazier is supposed to be ( I know he's talented) but he sure does hit the wrong gap too many times. This team, particularly on D is way too undisciplined and lacks focus. Late hits out of bounds, facemasks, and the call on Davis was the right call, but the refs missed a worse facemask on the previous play

I'm not going to second guess the 2 point tries. I like the aggressiveness, if they work everyone loves it, they didn't so everyone hates it. Just gives the Tomlin haters more ammo!
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:03 am

I think if we loose their shouldn't be any game balls. We played just well enough to loose.

Goats:Davis- Facemask penalty put them in at least field goal range.
Cockrell- Late hit out of bounce kept their drive going.
Entire D for not tackling , letting Elliott escape not once but twice for a total of 128 yards and 2 TDs.
Special teams for playing like shit again.
Here is my feelings on 2 point conversions:if you take the ball down the field with no resistance and punch it in you go for 2. If in fact you struggle on the way you don't keep trying it over and over just to prove you can't get the job done! So yeah,Tomlin gets a goat. I just remembered Toussant gets one for not STAYING THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. He had to see James going for the ball yet he tried to be a hero.

Honorable mention: Ben, Bell, Brown, Rogers (he had some nice blocks) James helped with a couple good catches. Harrison for showing these guys where the QB lives (we need a freakin' senior citizen to show us the way to the QB. How special is that?
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:18 am

Gameballs:
Ben (loved the Marino-esque fake spike)
Bell
Brown
Rogers
O-line

Goats:
Defense
Tomlin (for going for 2)
Special Teams

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Gameballs:
Ben (loved the Marino-esque fake spike)
Bell
Brown
Rogers
O-line

Goats:
Defense
Tomlin (for going for 2)
Special Teams

I like this list. The offense scores 30 and that should be enough to win, but again getting gashed by opponents RB's is brutal.

Also, I don't normally blame officials and you have to play thru the bad calls......but 1) Dez pushed off Gay and the Steelers get the PI call. 2) Coates got mugged twice on the same route which should have been PI in the end zone. 3) AB got grabbed around the waist, in front of the ref, in the end zone and not call.

When the HOF Cowboys QB Troy Aikman is commenting on all 3 of those plays that "The Cowboys got away with one there"......you know those were blown calls.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Also, I don't normally blame officials and you have to play thru the bad calls......but 1) Dez pushed off Gay and the Steelers get the PI call.  2) Coates got mugged twice on the same route which should have been PI in the end zone.  3) AB got grabbed around the waist, in front of the ref, in the end zone and not call.

When the HOF Cowboys QB Troy Aikman is commenting on all 3 of those plays that "The Cowboys got away with one there"......you know those were blown calls.

Totally agreed. The Steelers receivers were getting mugged all game long. And Bryant is a notorious push off artist. Why the refs don't see and call this is beyond me. Unless they are still giving him the free pass for what many feel was a TD catch they reversed a few years ago.  He had at least 4 push-offs, one on Gay that resulted in a PI 1st down. Another on Burns that resulted in a TD. And the thing that sucks is that these weren't even subtle ... it was major shove offs.

Oh, well, I still go back to my point that the offense wasted too many opportunities to put the game away. Ben tends to do well trying to win the game at the end. Great teams put their opponents away as early as possible. There were a few drives I felt Ben was just trying to force it to AB, when he had other guys open. He did the same thing against the Ravens. Just throw to the open receiver and win the game. I could care less about AB feelings at this point. Win a game already. No
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Also, I don't normally blame officials and you have to play thru the bad calls......but 1) Dez pushed off Gay and the Steelers get the PI call.  2) Coates got mugged twice on the same route which should have been PI in the end zone.  3) AB got grabbed around the waist, in front of the ref, in the end zone and not call.

Totally agreed. The Steelers receivers were getting mugged all game long. And Bryant is a notorious push off artist. Why the refs don't see and call this is beyond me. Unless they are still giving him the free pass for what many feel was a TD catch they reversed a few years ago.  He had at least 4 push-offs, one on Gay that resulted in a PI 1st down. Another on Burns that resulted in a TD. And the thing that sucks is that these weren't even subtle ... it was major shove offs.

Oh, well, I still go back to my point that the offense wasted too many opportunities to put the game away. Ben tends to do well trying to win the game at the end. Great teams put their opponents away as early as possible. There were a few drives I felt Ben was just trying to force it to AB, when he had other guys open. He did the same thing against the Ravens. Just throw to the open receiver and win the game. I could care less about AB feelings at this point. Win a game already. No

There's a guy I used to work with on Facebook who is a Cowboy fan and he was complaining that we got away with a bunch of calls. I pointed out Dez Bryant and the muggings from their DBs and he agreed that the officiating is terrible. That had 10 penalties and we had 2 I think. It should have been 14-4.

I have to agree about Ben. He seems to cherish coming from behind when he should start out playing lights out. He seems to be bipolar. Remember when we called this team bipolar. Now they're just polar.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:48 pm

@Steeler-in-west wrote:

This has got to be the most disappointing season of all time. Now its looking like we won't even make the playoffs.

Not even close for me - the 2006 (started 2-6) and 2009 (five game losing streak) Steelers teams had more than the potential to be good - those were defending Super Bowl champs that missed the playoffs

In terms of goats I blame the coaching staff for the team's ongoing dumb play this season, the manic constantly chuck it deep play calling at the end of the first half and start of the second half, and the dysfunctional defense

Although it might appear that way, being head coach of the Steelers is not like a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court - Cowher apparently came close to losing his job in the late 1990s - it is not going to happen after this season but for the first time I think Tomlin might be gone before Ben.

This from Ray Fittipado of the P-G in his chat today

These problems are not being fixed. It's on the head coach and all of his assistants to get it fixed and they are running out of time. That doesn't mean Tomlin is getting fired, but we could look back on this stretch a year from now or two years from now when there is a change and mark this as the beginning of the end. I admit that is possible.

And in terms of sources of information to evaluate what the problem might be, the Rooneys have this  

One interesting aspect of this season is Danny Rooney, the 27-year old Dartmouth grad, being a member of the coaching staff for the first time this season. Art II is a frequent visitor at practice and is very involved. But Danny knows everything that's going on throughout the day. I wonder what those private conversations are like between father and son away from the facility when some of these questionable coaching decisions are criticized. Things such as a low percentage onside kick vs. Baltimore or the two-point conversion fiasco.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/11/14/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-11-14-16/stories/201611140123
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More balls and less goats this week, at least   

Back to top Go down

More balls and less goats this week, at least
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: