HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Been awhile since I've dropped in, so thought I'd contribute on the high I have from Ladarius Green finally get some significant playing time.

He's setting team and career highs each time he's stepping more, and more, on the field. Really excited for what this guy brings.

That said, Le'Veon Bell and Jesse James have been taking the pressure off of AB as well. Hence the motivation for this article.

https://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/12/06/second-best-receivers-steelers-arent-receivers/

http://steelcityunderground.com
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 pm

How time changes things.

Projected WR's after last season:  AB, Martavis, Wheaton, Coates, Rogers, (DHB)

Current WR's:  AB, Rogers, Hamilton, Coates

Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:38 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:
How time changes things.

Projected WR's after last season:  AB, Martavis, Wheaton, Coates, Rogers, (DHB)

Current WR's:  AB, Rogers, Hamilton, Coates

I REALLY like Rogers. He looks like a younger AB in the making. Smooth route running, ability to wiggle free in the open field, etc.

Coates could easily be Bryant, if he gets those fingers healthy. Recall that Bryant was called out for dropping passes too.

Hamilton has good hands. He's moved the chains several times this season on third down, and he had a nice high-point catch for a TD against Miami.

Wheaton is hurt, so he gets an incomplete. I see he says he wants to return, but it's going to be far too crowded for that possibility, especially if Bryant comes back.

DHB is what he is, a dependable fill-in, who at times flashes greatness. Should've had two TD's against the Pats*, but had one called back. Saw his vision in that end-around against the Dolphins too. Great special teams AND team player.

Next year could look like:

AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, DHB and Hamilton... and don't forget we drafted Demarcus Ayers as well.

Crowded depth chart for Wheaton to come back to, assuming Bryant can pass a drug test.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Rogers will be a fine slot WR. Coates has worse hands than Martavis Bryant, so get used to it folks. He will be that guy that can come thru with big plays and likewise have big drops. He's a bigger version of Ted Ginn. Expect a WR in the draft again this upcoming year, but maybe in the 3rd or 4th round.

I really think Grimble should be part of the plan next season, but not sure the Steelers will live with not having a solid blocking TE.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:25 pm

Coates broken fingers seem to have derailed his promising season. Maybe it would have been better he healed and not played. I wonder if he keeps aggravating the injury.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:26 am

@SteelCityUnderground wrote:
Been awhile since I've dropped in, so thought I'd contribute on the high I have from Ladarius Green finally get some significant playing time.

He's setting team and career highs each time he's stepping more, and more, on the field. Really excited for what this guy brings.

That said, Le'Veon Bell and Jesse James have been taking the pressure off of AB as well. Hence the motivation for this article.

https://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/12/06/second-best-receivers-steelers-arent-receivers/

with Bell as the RB / receiver don't need the run blocking TEs the Steelers fans are use to Green and Gimble fit in with Bells style of running out of the back field or as a receiver.

With Bell style of running use the TEs as pulling Guards or take the opposing LBs down the field running seam routes.

in other words spread the defense out and let Bell pick his hole or use the TE as a trap guard after you run a few inside zone block plays.

hell throw a WR trap in there every now and then.

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:41 am

It's a really nice spot to be in knowing you have serious depth at a position. Now if we can only get that in the pass rush area...
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
It's a really nice spot to be in knowing you have serious depth at a position. Now if we can only get that in the pass rush area...

I think that's coming... Chickillo has been a good find considering he was a 6th rounder. Bud didn't play half of the year.

They'll add someone for sure, because Harrison can't do this forever, but 92, 56 and 48 are more than enough to get us to the promised land this year.

WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:46 pm

I'd rather have Wheaton back then a damned dope head.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 pm

@WVABE wrote:

What if that dope head turns it around?

Bryant is way better receiver than Wheaton.
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:31 pm

@BlackAndGold wrote:
@WVABE wrote:

I hope he does turn it around but preferably with another team. He's already proved what the Steelers meant to him by getting popped again.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:49 am

Love the fact that the team has a W.R. named Jesse James. Despite not being a good person the outlaw. The W.R. is!

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:31 am

Wheaton and Coates (to some degree) have been disappointments. We desperately needed someone like Green to fill the void left by Miller and Bryant. I'm personally hoping we have AB, Green and Bryant next year. Yeah, Bryant. He's too talented to not be given another chance. I'd hate to see him killing it on another team.

I would say among the wr's

AB
Rogers
Coates (i give him some slack for the hurt hand)
Hamilton
Wheaton and DHB (maybe fast but the least athletic of the bunch)

in that order
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:22 am

O.J. Howard from alabama could be our next Heath Miller. same size as heath (6'6" / 250 lbs). decent blocker. under utilized at alabama as a receiver. probably a bit faster than heath was.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:43 am

@WVABE wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:
@WVABE wrote:

I hope he does turn it around but preferably with another team. He's already proved what the Steelers meant to him by getting popped again.

If he wasn't on a rookie contract I'd somewhat agree.

Reports were that his 2nd incident were depression(noting to joke about) related, and I believe he went to get help. if that's really the case, everyone should give him another shot.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 am

@BlackAndGold wrote:
@WVABE wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:
@WVABE wrote:

If he wasn't on a rookie contract I'd somewhat agree.

Reports were that his 2nd incident were depression(noting to joke about) related, and I believe he went to get help. if that's really the case, everyone should give him another shot.

I agree. It seems he has some inner demons he's dealing with.

I say he should be given another shot. He just needs to make it count before he ends up in Cleveland.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:03 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
O.J. Howard from alabama could be our next Heath Miller. same size as heath (6'6" / 250 lbs). decent blocker. under utilized at alabama as a receiver. probably a bit faster than heath was.

True, but do you really think they go TE after giving Green that free agent contract?

I'm a Michigan fan, so I'll throw Jake Butt into the mix as another great TE prospect, but I don't think I see it. OLB, WR, FS, RB
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 am

Can't see them taking a TE, at least high in the draft.

Not trying to make this a big draft thread

OLB will most likely be round 1 and one later on. I like Carl Lawson & Joe Mathis(coming on late with him) for round 1

D-lineman in either round 2 or 3

RB round 4 (James Connor!!!!)

Could see a WR being taken, I'd love to see Dede Westbrook as a Steeler. But if Bryant is back, I can't see them taking one early.

ILB is possible, but If Timmons is brought back, then I don't see it.

So a fun early mock
1. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn 2. Dede Westbrook, WR, OU 3. DE/DT???, 4. James Connor, RB, Pitt, 5. Ejuan Price, OLB Pitt

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:51 am

I can't see the Steelers selecting a TE at all....too many other pressing needs.

Green, JJ, Grimble....I could live with this depth chart next year.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:15 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:
I can't see the Steelers selecting a TE at all....too many other pressing needs.

Green, JJ, Grimble....I could live with this depth chart next year.

Agreed, could see them bring back DJ on a vet min deal.

A late round blocking TE could be very possible. Seems like the trend anyway.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:43 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

True, but do you really think they go TE after giving Green that free agent contract?

I'm a Michigan fan, so I'll throw Jake Butt into the mix as another great TE prospect, but I don't think I see it.  OLB, WR, FS, RB

no i don't see it happening , because the steelers just aren't the visionaries that i am.
they won't think back to the huge success the Patriots**** had a few years ago when they regularly ran the two TE sets with hernandez and gronkowski , which basically nullified there need for 3 good WR's.  

plus i factor in the decreased rookie scale along with the length of both contracts, and by the end of green's contract , we'd still have an experienced quality TE after they let green walk for wanting more money . it's called being pro active instead of reactive ..

besides green's remaining contract will be paying him just under 6 mill a year for the next 3 years. what's another 1.5 - 2 mill a year on top of that considering guys like gronk and graham are pulling in 9-10 mill a year average .

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:47 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I'm a Michigan fan, so I'll throw Jake Butt into the mix as another great TE prospect, but I don't think I see it.  OLB, WR, FS, RB

no i don't see it happening , because the steelers just aren't the visionaries that i am.
they won't think back to the huge success the Patriots*** had a few years ago when they regularly ran the two TE sets with hernandez and gronkowski , which basically nullified there need for 3 good WR's.  

plus i factor in the decreased rookie scale along with the length of both contracts, and by the end of green's contract , we'd still have an experienced quality TE if they let green walk. it's called being pro active instead of reactive ..

besides green's remaining contract will be paying him just under 6 mill a year for the next 3 years. what's another 1.5 - 2 mill a year on top of that considering guys like gronk and graham are pulling in 9-10 mill a year average .

Valid point and all but right now we're hurting for OLB talent unless Harrison can play till hes 45
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:52 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

they won't think back to the huge success the Patriots**** had a few years ago when they regularly ran the two TE sets with hernandez and gronkowski , which basically nullified there need for 3 good WR's.  

plus i factor in the decreased rookie scale along with the length of both contracts, and by the end of green's contract , we'd still have an experienced quality TE if they let green walk. it's called being pro active instead of reactive ..

Valid point and all but right now we're hurting for OLB talent unless Harrison can play till hes 45
and have you seen the amount of talent coming out at the position ? the pickins are slim. maybe 2 or 3 worthy of a 1st round pick.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm

I don't watch college ball much, so not really. I guess the FO will stick to the BPA strategy though if there's no great players at need positions when we're up.

Top edge rushers usually go in the top 10 so we don't have a realistic shot at one of those unless we lose out, which won't happen likely.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
I don't watch college ball much, so not really. I guess the FO will stick to the BPA strategy though if there's no great players at need positions when we're up.

Top edge rushers usually go in the top 10 so we don't have a realistic shot at one of those unless we lose out, which won't happen likely.
i understand the BPA at a position of need logic. but if your down to the 3rd or 4th best options of at need players , then the logical thing to do is go with a guy who can contribute immediately and make the team better , even if there's a cemented starter in front of them.
more than one TE dresses for games and more than one TE gets playing time. why not have two quality receiving TE's that you can specifically design plays for ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    

Back to top Go down

Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: