HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 10969
Likes : 742
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:15 am

Looking at this team, WR or TE is not something we need right now.

O-line, LB, D-line are areas of concern (imo). I really think the O-line and LB positions should be heavily considered when looking at this years draft class. I believe the D-line is coming together and is only missing 1 piece to make it solid.

_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Looking at this team, WR or TE is not something we need right now.

O-line, LB, D-line are areas of concern (imo).  I really think the O-line and LB positions should be heavily considered when looking at this years draft class.  I believe the D-line is coming together and is only missing 1 piece to make it solid.

What more do you think the Steelers need on the O line?? Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert are arguably top 5 at C, G, RT in the NFL right now. Foster is playing the best of his career and young Jerald Hawkins is back from IR next season.

I would say that WR is one of the top needs right now. Wheaton is likely gone, DHB is the #5 WR, Martavis Bryant is smoking his way out of the league. Coates has hands of stone.

A true OLB that can rush the passer, a reliable #2 WR and either D line depth and ILB depth(if Timmons not signed) are the top needs that I can see in the draft. I still don't discount that if BPA is a TE, that the Steelers don't take one in the top 3 rounds.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 10969
Likes : 742
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
Looking at this team, WR or TE is not something we need right now.

O-line, LB, D-line are areas of concern (imo).  I really think the O-line and LB positions should be heavily considered when looking at this years draft class.  I believe the D-line is coming together and is only missing 1 piece to make it solid.

What more do you think the Steelers need on the O line??  Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert are arguably top 5 at C, G, RT in the NFL right now.  Foster is playing the best of his career and young Jerald Hawkins is back from IR next season.

I would say that WR is one of the top needs right now.  Wheaton is likely gone, DHB is the #5 WR, Martavis Bryant is smoking his way out of the league.  Coates has hands of stone.

A true OLB that can rush the passer, a reliable #2 WR and either D line depth and ILB depth(if Timmons not signed) are the top needs that I can see in the draft.  I still don't discount that if BPA is a TE, that the Steelers don't take one in the top 3 rounds.

I feel like they don't have the ability to make decent holes for Bell or protect Ben when it matters most. And when they do, they seem to get caught holding. Really can't put my finger on one player per se, but I just feel like they're one solid player away from really securing up the line.

_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

avatar

Posts : 489
Likes : 142
Join date : 2014-09-29
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@Fire Arians wrote:
I don't watch college ball much, so not really. I guess the FO will stick to the BPA strategy though if there's no great players at need positions when we're up.

Top edge rushers usually go in the top 10 so we don't have a realistic shot at one of those unless we lose out, which won't happen likely.
i understand the BPA at a position of need logic. but if your down to the 3rd or 4th best options of at need players , then the logical thing to do is go with a guy who can contribute immediately and make the team better , even if there's a cemented starter in front of them.
more than one TE dresses for games and more than one TE gets playing time. why not have two quality receiving TE's that you can specifically design plays for ?

TEs and RBs haven't been going high, and even top drafted corners have been busts.

Internally we've been discussing this at SCU and the only glaring need for sure is an edge rusher. They could still live with Bud and Chick, plus Moats will be back. Good spot for a rookie to work into the rotation and become "the guy" next season.

ILB could be a need too, but I expect Timmons back. Groom the next guy.

Safety depth later on as well.

TE and WR would be luxury picks. I think they like what the have on the OL. DL depth needed as well.

I also see a RB in their future, unless there's a veteran or DW comes back for one more year. Karlos screwed that plan up...

Pretty much can go BPA anywhere, including that wanted QB to groom, outside of taking an edge guy or two. (And they could wait till 2nd round depending on where they're drafting too for an edge rusher maybe, depending on the board.)

Scary to think how much improved this team could even be next year!

_________________
Connect With Steel City Underground - Articles and Podcasts
Web | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Google+ | Vine | Pinterest | iTunes | Google Play Music | Stitcher | TuneIn
Back to top Go down
http://steelcityunderground.com
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:31 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
Looking at this team, WR or TE is not something we need right now.

O-line, LB, D-line are areas of concern (imo).  I really think the O-line and LB positions should be heavily considered when looking at this years draft class.  I believe the D-line is coming together and is only missing 1 piece to make it solid.

What more do you think the Steelers need on the O line??  Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert are arguably top 5 at C, G, RT in the NFL right now.  Foster is playing the best of his career and young Jerald Hawkins is back from IR next season.

I would say that WR is one of the top needs right now.  Wheaton is likely gone, DHB is the #5 WR, Martavis Bryant is smoking his way out of the league.  Coates has hands of stone.

A true OLB that can rush the passer, a reliable #2 WR and either D line depth and ILB depth(if Timmons not signed) are the top needs that I can see in the draft.  I still don't discount that if BPA is a TE, that the Steelers don't take one in the top 3 rounds.

I feel like they don't have the ability to make decent holes for Bell or protect Ben when it matters most.  And when they do, they seem to get caught holding.  Really can't put my finger on one player per se, but I just feel like they're one solid player away from really securing up the line.

I hear ya. The one thing to remember is that the other team has Defensive players that are pretty good too. IMO, Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey are top tier players at their position. Foster is playing solid as an interior lineman and AV is improving, but still likely the weakest link on the O line. BJ Finney is a good young Interior lineman, Jerald Hawkins could be the LT of the future and Hubbard is a versatile guy that can play all positions.

The O line is the best it has been in 10 years IMO and I just don't see the need to spend a pick there unless they plan on letting #78 go in free agency, or want to cut salary with somebody, so they can use it elsewhere (Bell, AB, Shazier, Tuitt, Free Agent).
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

avatar

Posts : 489
Likes : 142
Join date : 2014-09-29
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:06 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
Looking at this team, WR or TE is not something we need right now.

O-line, LB, D-line are areas of concern (imo).  I really think the O-line and LB positions should be heavily considered when looking at this years draft class.  I believe the D-line is coming together and is only missing 1 piece to make it solid.

What more do you think the Steelers need on the O line??  Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert are arguably top 5 at C, G, RT in the NFL right now.  Foster is playing the best of his career and young Jerald Hawkins is back from IR next season.

I would say that WR is one of the top needs right now.  Wheaton is likely gone, DHB is the #5 WR, Martavis Bryant is smoking his way out of the league.  Coates has hands of stone.

A true OLB that can rush the passer, a reliable #2 WR and either D line depth and ILB depth(if Timmons not signed) are the top needs that I can see in the draft.  I still don't discount that if BPA is a TE, that the Steelers don't take one in the top 3 rounds.

I feel like they don't have the ability to make decent holes for Bell or protect Ben when it matters most.  And when they do, they seem to get caught holding.  Really can't put my finger on one player per se, but I just feel like they're one solid player away from really securing up the line.

I hear ya.  The one thing to remember is that the other team has Defensive players that are pretty good too.  IMO, Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey are top tier players at their position.  Foster is playing solid as an interior lineman and AV is improving, but still likely the weakest link on the O line.  BJ Finney is a good young Interior lineman, Jerald Hawkins could be the LT of the future and Hubbard is a versatile guy that can play all positions.

The O line is the best it has been in 10 years IMO and I just don't see the need to spend a pick there unless they plan on letting #78 go in free agency, or want to cut salary with somebody, so they can use it elsewhere (Bell, AB, Shazier, Tuitt, Free Agent).  

They've given up 3 sacks over the 4 game win streak.

Don't confuse dirty/cheap hits with the o-line's ability to keep Ben upright. This is what's more frustrating when I hear about Cam Newton crying and getting a meeting with Goodell.

Last year against the Rams, that guy went low on Ben, no flag, but got fined and admitted they missed a penalty.

Burfict lays on and knee strikes Ben in the playoffs, and he ends up playing against Denver with a supposed separated shoulder!

Then the same dirty crap from the Dolphins, was it Suh or Jones that kicked Ben's leg, and ended up hurting his knee?

The line is fine and the best it's been in years. Pouncey is healthy and hasn't given up a sack, DD is an All-Pro (though caught holding a ton). Finney and Foster are finds, and Big Al and Gilbert are holding it down on the edges (in fact Gilbert is VASTLY underrated.)

_________________
Connect With Steel City Underground - Articles and Podcasts
Web | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Google+ | Vine | Pinterest | iTunes | Google Play Music | Stitcher | TuneIn
Back to top Go down
http://steelcityunderground.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"    

Back to top Go down
 
Second-best receivers on the #Steelers aren't "receivers"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: