HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ben in walking boot...anybody have info???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Ben in walking boot...anybody have info???   Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@OX1947 wrote:
Yah, it's easy to blame Tomlin for this, but I don't. Ben needs to be smarter. Throw the damn ball away, the game was over.

I think the blame goes all around. Tomlin/Haley for even dreaming of a pass play in that situation, and Ben for trying to do too much and letting Cameron Wake get to him. Such a pointless play all around. Just hand the ball off to #26, and if he doesn't get the first down, punt it away.

Fortunately at least Bell was out of the game by then (but was still playing until the Steelers knocked Ajayi out of the game in the 4th quarter, which might have caused Tomlin to remember running backs can get hurt when they run the ball).  This thought process behind removing Bell but leaving Ben in the game seems a bit of a reach by Tomlin

“We felt Ben's presence would aid us in terms of closing out the game via the run,” Tomlin said. “We have every intention of working to close the game out with DeAngelo (running the ball). His presence on the field was aiding that.

“A lot of the run game was check-oriented based off what we saw from the defense. (Roethlisberger) had the better part of the game to see those checks and put us in the appropriate calls.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11760675-74/roethlisberger-game-steelers

Taking that to its logical conclusion, Ben presumably would have stayed in the game until the last play even if the score went to 50-12 since Landry Jones would not have been in the game to see the checks upon which any further runs were based.

Real vote of confidence in Landry Jones that Tomlin will not put him in unless Ben is carted off the field.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ben in walking boot...anybody have info???   Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:09 am

@Atlanta Dan wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@OX1947 wrote:
Yah, it's easy to blame Tomlin for this, but I don't. Ben needs to be smarter. Throw the damn ball away, the game was over.

I think the blame goes all around. Tomlin/Haley for even dreaming of a pass play in that situation, and Ben for trying to do too much and letting Cameron Wake get to him. Such a pointless play all around. Just hand the ball off to #26, and if he doesn't get the first down, punt it away.

Fortunately #26 was out of the game by then (but was still playing until the Steelers knocked Ajayi out of the game in the 4th quarter, which might have caused Tomlin to remember running backs can get hurt when they run the ball).  This thought process behind removing Bell but leaving Ben in the game seems a bit of a reach by Tomlin

“We felt Ben's presence would aid us in terms of closing out the game via the run,” Tomlin said. “We have every intention of working to close the game out with DeAngelo (running the ball). His presence on the field was aiding that.

“A lot of the run game was check-oriented based off what we saw from the defense. (Roethlisberger) had the better part of the game to see those checks and put us in the appropriate calls.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11760675-74/roethlisberger-game-steelers

Taking that to its logical conclusion, Ben presumably would have stayed in the game until the last play even if the score went to 50-12 since Landry Jones would not have been in the game to see the checks upon which any further runs were based.

Real vote of confidence in Landry Jones that Tomlin will not put him in unless Ben is carted off the field.

I stand corrected I thought Bell was still in at that point.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ

Ben in walking boot...anybody have info???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: