HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 J Peezy in Cuffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:


It really says a lot when the Chief of Police is actually backing up his officer. With the way things have been the past year or so, more often than not they'll simply bow down to public pressure and go against the officer in the name of pandering to the masses to save face for the department. I was actually quite surprised to read this. In my eyes, it's pretty damning for Joey Porter.

Not as damning as the assessment by the Allegheny County DA of the credibility of the off duty officer

District Attorney Stephen Zappala Jr. said that after viewing surveillance video, he decided to drop charges of aggravated assault involving a police officer and a simple assault charge for Porter's actions Sunday involving a bouncer, as well as charges of resisting arrest and defiant trespass.

"Today our office was able to view surveillance video showing multiple angles of the events that led to the arrest of Steelers coach Joey Porter. Following that review, it is the position of the office that the only charges supported by the video are summary disorderly conduct and summary public drunkenness," Zappala said....

In his criminal complaint, Officer Paul Abel contends Porter grabbed both his wrists and wouldn't let go after Abel intervened in a dispute between Porter and a bouncer who refused to let Porter into a bar. Porter was charged with simple assault for allegedly picking up the bouncer....

Abel was nearly fired for a 2008 off-duty encounter in which he pistol whipped and shot a man. Abel claimed the man walked up to his car at a red light and punched him. Abel was acquitted of criminal charges of drunken driving, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment and the city paid $44,500 to settle a lawsuit filed by the man shot by Abel. Abel's firing was overturned by a labor arbitrator.


http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18460255/assault-charges-pittsburgh-steelers-assistant-joey-porter-dropped

I am a former prosecutor and firmly believe the overwhelming majority of law enforcement officers are honorable men and women who put their lives on the line to protect us. I also believe some law enforcement officers are less credible than others.

Not the first time nor the last that a prosecutor's office and law enforcement agents reach different conclusions on whether to prosecute, but the police do not get to make that call. This incident is probably just another episode in ongoing tension between the Allegheny County DA and the Pittsburgh PD.

Back to top Go down
Jazzo

avatar

Posts : 215
Likes : 70
Join date : 2015-04-13
Location : Pacific NW

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Abel was nearly fired for a 2008 off-duty encounter in which he pistol whipped and shot a man. Abel claimed the man walked up to his car at a red light and punched him. Abel was acquitted of criminal charges of drunken driving, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment and the city paid $44,500 to settle a lawsuit filed by the man shot by Abel. Abel's firing was overturned by a labor arbitrator.

This cop Abel sounds like a lying scumbag to me. It always makes me smh when certain citizens assume every law enforcement officer is 100% honest and trustworthy. With that being said, Joey Porter still made a poor decision to go down to E. Carson St. at night time while the team is in the middle of a playoff run.

_________________
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Question remains does Peezy still have a job? Or is it Mr. Greens for the taking? I vote Green.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Jazzo wrote:
With that being said, Joey Porter still made a poor decision to go down to E. Carson St. at night time while the team is in the middle of a playoff run.

Agreed - having to go to your boss and say let bygones be bygones since the only charges that stuck were public drunkenness and disorderly conduct is an indefensible position.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Question remains does Peezy still have a job? Or is it Mr. Greens for the taking? I vote Green.

Apparently he has a job this Sunday



If true that is surprising - Al Davis would support that message,

Back to top Go down
Jazzo

avatar

Posts : 215
Likes : 70
Join date : 2015-04-13
Location : Pacific NW

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Question remains does Peezy still have a job? Or is it Mr. Greens for the taking? I vote Green.

They just said on NFL Network that he was with the team today and will be on the sidelines during Sunday's game.

_________________
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 2219
Likes : 1080
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Highly disappointed with that Officer. Not the kind of person I want working in my career field. Unfortunately assholes get badges too, assholes are in every job out there.

I'm surprised they're not dropping all charges at this point.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 am

Reinstatement announced this morning

The Steelers have decided to reinstate outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, who was arrested Sunday night at a South Side bar following the Steelers’ playoff victory against the Dolphins.

“At this time, we have decided that Joey Porter will return to our coaching staff for the game in Kansas City this weekend,” team president Art Rooney II said. “We have reviewed the available information regarding the incident that took place on Sunday night. We have also reviewed the communication from the Allegheny County District Attorney’s office indicating the intention of that office to withdraw all but the summary offense charges.

“As an organization, we have great respect for the job the City of Pittsburgh Police perform for our community. We also respect the fact that there are ongoing legal proceedings stemming from the incident. We will await the outcome of the legal process and communicate further with the NFL regarding the Personal Conduct Policy before making any further decisions on potential discipline.”

Porter also issued the following statement this morning:

“I am grateful to be allowed to return to our coaching staff this weekend. I regret that I was involved in an incident that could have been a distraction to our team. Most importantly, I regret that I touched the police officer and I sincerely apologize for that action. Thankfully, no one was injured.


http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/01/13/Steelers-reinstate-assistant-coach-Joey-Porter-after-South-Side-arrest/stories/201701130170

The doorman and off duty officer also are thankful no one (most likely it would have been one of them) was injured.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2507
Likes : 475
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am

Again. Do not put yourself in these positions. GO HOME AND CELEBRATE. Think about someone else (your team that you coach) and how it will affect them. If you do that how the Police or DA handles it won't come into play.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert



Posts : 750
Likes : 417
Join date : 2015-05-02
Location : Tony Soprano's neighborhood

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:36 pm

solardave wrote:
Again. Do not put yourself in these positions. GO HOME AND CELEBRATE. Think about someone else (your team that you coach) and how it will affect them. If you do that how the Police or DA handles it won't come into play.




That takes a lot of common sense, something Porter obviously lacks.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:12 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
solardave wrote:
Again. Do not put yourself in these positions. GO HOME AND CELEBRATE. Think about someone else (your team that you coach) and how it will affect them. If you do that how the Police or DA handles it won't come into play.




That takes a lot of common sense, something Porter obviously lacks.

Yeah, and I like the comment where he apologized for "touching the officer".

I was always taught to talk to cops with politeness and respect. That is another common sense way to stay out of trouble. Read the accounts of Porter's 2010 run in with the California Highway Patrol, where he refused to give a cop his Drivers license when requested, then slapped the cops hand out of the way and rolled up the window in his car. Not the smartest way to interact with law enforcement.

Oh, well. Moving on to KC. Hope Peezy stays on the sidelines and coaches his azz off.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert



Posts : 750
Likes : 417
Join date : 2015-05-02
Location : Tony Soprano's neighborhood

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Question remains does Peezy still have a job? Or is it Mr. Greens for the taking? I vote Green.

Too late.  Kevin Greene hired as Jets OLB coach.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:09 pm

This story indicates Porter is a jackass

You would think that most high school football programs would be thrilled to have a former Steeler as a head coach and the sons of the current head coach and one of his assistants as players. If there was a thrill for Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic, it’s gone now.

Jason Gildon, a former Steelers outside linebacker, who held the franchise sack record until James Harrison broke it this season, was the head coach and he was fired shortly after the season ended.

Soon after that, the sons of Mike Tomlin and his current outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, transferred. So did Porter’s nephew.

It might be safe to say there aren’t many people in the North Catholic community who are sorry to see the parents go.

By all accounts, the kids weren’t the problem.

Joey Porter was allegedly a big problem.

According to a source, Porter made a spectacle of himself at home games and on the road, even though he was with his head coach at the time.

During a game at Riverside in October, Porter reportedly ran on the field to badger the officials. Remember, he’s a Steelers assistant coach and only a North Catholic parent.

North Catholic was reportedly penalized 15 yards and officials asked the North Sewickley police to remove Porter. According to eyewitnesses, Porter told the cops, “If you want me to leave, it’s gonna take more than just you.”

The officers working the game, the source said, had to call for extra help.

Porter then reportedly finally calmed down when the referee threatened North Catholic with forfeiting the game.


http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170129/some_good_advice_for_these_steelers#.WI4ciyJnYsI.twitter

The column is written by John Steigerwald, no great Tomlin fan, but I doubt he would make this up
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2507
Likes : 475
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
This story indicates Porter is a jackass

You would think that most high school football programs would be thrilled to have a former Steeler as a head coach and the sons of the current head coach and one of his assistants as players. If there was a thrill for Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic, it’s gone now.

Jason Gildon, a former Steelers outside linebacker, who held the franchise sack record until James Harrison broke it this season, was the head coach and he was fired shortly after the season ended.

Soon after that, the sons of Mike Tomlin and his current outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, transferred. So did Porter’s nephew.

It might be safe to say there aren’t many people in the North Catholic community who are sorry to see the parents go.

By all accounts, the kids weren’t the problem.

Joey Porter was allegedly a big problem.

According to a source, Porter made a spectacle of himself at home games and on the road, even though he was with his head coach at the time.

During a game at Riverside in October, Porter reportedly ran on the field to badger the officials. Remember, he’s a Steelers assistant coach and only a North Catholic parent.

North Catholic was reportedly penalized 15 yards and officials asked the North Sewickley police to remove Porter. According to eyewitnesses, Porter told the cops, “If you want me to leave, it’s gonna take more than just you.”

The officers working the game, the source said, had to call for extra help.

Porter then reportedly finally calmed down when the referee threatened North Catholic with forfeiting the game.


http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170129/some_good_advice_for_these_steelers#.WI4ciyJnYsI.twitter

The column is written by John Steigerwald, no great Tomlin fan, but I doubt he would make this up

I don't know what to say except if half of this is true then it's not just Porter being a dick but also Tomlin. I have to wonder if there is any evidence of these so incidents in any other paper.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert



Posts : 750
Likes : 417
Join date : 2015-05-02
Location : Tony Soprano's neighborhood

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Did Joey Porter contribute so much to the Steelers defense this year that Tomlin was willing to look the other way and ignore his alleged and confirmed actions, and put up with shit like this?  
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2507
Likes : 475
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
Did Joey Porter contribute so much to the Steelers defense this year that Tomlin was willing to look the other way and ignore his alleged and confirmed actions, and put up with shit like this?  

If you believe this article they are 2 of a kind. I'm trying to figure out if this guy hates Tomlin so much he'd say anything or is it true. If it is it is troubling to think the FO office would sit back and not do anything.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:28 am

solardave wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
Did Joey Porter contribute so much to the Steelers defense this year that Tomlin was willing to look the other way and ignore his alleged and confirmed actions, and put up with shit like this?  

If you believe this article they are 2 of a kind. I'm trying to figure out if this guy hates Tomlin so much he'd say anything or is it true. If it is it is troubling to think the FO office would sit back and not do anything.

One person is arrested for being drunk and disorderly on the South Side and allegedly runs on to the field at a high school football game to protest a call, after which he leaves only after the refs threaten to forfeit the game

The other person allegedly utters some expletives in a high school locker room while trashing the officials (first time that has ever happened), allegedly smokes a cigar in the stands, and allegedly is "less than cooperative" (loaded term there) when asked to move away while standing at a fence and blocking the view of other fans

"2 of a kind?"

The backstory is that this comes out after Jason Gildon was fired after going 17-6 in two seasons as the North Catholic coach. Tomlin and Porter obviously did not support the decision if their sons are going to enroll elsewhere next fall - just a wild guess other parents pushed for Gildon to go and these allegations being shopped to John Steigerwald are tied to that dispute - parents getting involved in the hiring and firing of the high school football coach can get ugly

Nice of Steigerwald to sit on the story until after the season ended
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

avatar

Posts : 1400
Likes : 467
Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Riiiiight heeeere

PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:13 am

You won't find more politics and drama than the high school sports scene. Everyone's kid is an all star, but those stupid coaches just don't see it.

We had an issue with our local high school. They had a football coach who did nothing but win. Unfortunately, he didn't start the son of an influential family (because the kid wasn't any good). Those people got on the school board, trashed the coach, and ultimately had him thrown out. That football team has sucked for the past 6 years. Meanwhile, the former coach has moved on and does nothing but win at his new school.

It's hard to tell how much of that article is based on reality. However, I do feel that if Tomlin and Porter did nothing but sit in the back row of the stands, smile and keep their mouths shut ... there wouldn't be a story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: J Peezy in Cuffs   

Back to top Go down
 
J Peezy in Cuffs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: