HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 It wasn't even...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 pm

a close game... I am bummed. Well here is to talking free agency and the draft for the next 7 months. I hope we get some beasts...
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1551
Likes : 472
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 pm

That's what has me pissed off the most. It wasn't even close. Realistically, the score wasn't even as close as it was.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 2218
Likes : 1080
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Should've been closer. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times. Along with our self-inflicted mistakes, we compounded that with poor execution, and we didn't adjust our scheme defensively to stop the Patriots** offense. All in all we were outcoached, outplayed, and we committed mistakes on top of that. You're not going to win games like that. It's a recipe for disaster.

I truly don't feel like the Patriots** are that much better than us, but tonight they outplayed us, and outcoached us, and it showed up in the final score. If we had been better tackling, and had we played more physically with their receivers I think the score would've been a little less lopsided.

This just sucks, any way we look at it.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.


Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Once Bell went down the offensive game plan was in ashes.

I bet they were going to split him out a lot.

I guess the defensive game plan was to hope Brady made mistakes while he had no pressure and the Steelers sat in their zones - guess again

Disappointed but not surprised - Vegas made the Pats* 6 point favorites for a lot of reasons
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu



Posts : 1270
Likes : 565
Join date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm

I know. You hate to lose but when it's close, I guess you can at least say them's the breaks but when you get completely outplayed. It just hurts more. Well the last time we lost to these guys in a conference championship, we came back the next year and won it all but you don't win based off coincidences. You win because you win. I don't blame AB's video, the flu bug, Bell getting hurt, or the jackass Pats* fan that pulled the fire alarm for why we lost. We lost legitimately but it still hurts and I hope the Falcons ruin Brady's chance at immortality.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert



Posts : 750
Likes : 417
Join date : 2015-05-02
Location : Tony Soprano's neighborhood

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 pm

It was a thorough ass kicking, no two ways about it.

Brady and Belichick own us.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
We lost legitimately but it still hurts and I hope the Falcons ruin Brady's chance at immortality.

Two best teams are in the Super Bowl (I never was buying the Dallas hype and thought the Falcons would beat them in Dallas).

After the low point of the Dallas loss Tomlin finally had a long stretch where his team did not screw up and lose to a team it should not lose to - that is what champions do

Steelers are not there yet - Pats* can be beaten but not by the Steelers when they do not play their best
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:25 pm

At least Atlanta knows not to play a lot of zone D! Lol
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu



Posts : 1270
Likes : 565
Join date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
We lost legitimately but it still hurts and I hope the Falcons ruin Brady's chance at immortality.

Two best teams are in the Super Bowl (I never was buying the Dallas hype and thought the Falcons would beat them in Dallas).

After the low point of the Dallas loss Tomlin finally had a long stretch where his team did not screw up and lose to a team it should not lose to - that is what champions do

Steelers are not there yet -  Pats** can be beaten but not by the Steelers when they do not play their best
What do you think we need to beat the Pats*? It's just maddening to me to see the Pats* come up with these little midgets like Welker, Edelman, Amedola and now Hogan year in and year out who are totally unheralded and Brady makes them look awesome. I really really dislike those guys if you can't tell. I do agree with you about Atlanta. They were by the NFC's most balanced squad and I'm rooting for Matt Ryan. He's always seemed like a good kid.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Press one on one physical coverage to upset the timing patterns and a pass rush. Even then it's not a guarantee you beat Brady, you make it a better chance. You have to score TDs not FGs or failing outright to get in the end zone. You have to play a complete game not thirty minutes hell not even 45...
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1826
Likes : 815
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:28 pm

The strange thing is that it wasn't that much of surprise what needed to be done, but it didn't get done.

1. Needed to stop the run and pressure Brady up the middle and get him off his spot. Make him move outside the pocket. That didn't happen.

2. Needed to come off the crossing routes and CB's step into the lanes, or play Cover 2 over and Man to Man underneath. That didn't happen.

3. That potent Steelers offense needed to find Rogers, Grimble, James and somebody(Hamilton, DHB or Coates), because you knew they were going to bracket AB.

4. Needed to win the turnover battle. Didn't happen.

Oh, well. Need to find a real #2 WR in the draft, and find somebody that can rush the passer, so moving on to Senior Bowl Week. Movin on. :(
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I will tell you that you can't sit back in zone coverage Brady will tear you apart hasn't ever worked for us against him. Butler played timid with our CBS and they got torched in zone.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 302
Likes : 78
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:31 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
The strange thing is that it wasn't that much of surprise what needed to be done, but it didn't get done.

1. Needed to stop the run and pressure Brady up the middle and get him off his spot.  Make him move outside the pocket.  That didn't happen.

2. Needed to come off the crossing routes and CB's step into the lanes, or play Cover 2 over and Man to Man underneath.  That didn't happen.

3. That potent Steelers offense needed to find Rogers, Grimble, James and somebody(Hamilton, DHB or Coates), because you knew they were going to bracket AB.

4. Needed to win the turnover battle.  Didn't happen.

Oh, well.  Need to find a real #2 WR in the draft, and find somebody that can rush the passer, so moving on to Senior Bowl Week.  Movin on.  :(

This right here and none of it happened... sigh...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 2218
Likes : 1080
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:32 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
It was a thorough ass kicking, no two ways about it.

Brady and Belichick own us.  

Exactly. Something needs to change. I sincerely hope this game was a wake up call to the coaching staff, Keith Butler in particular. I don't understand how you can watch all that game film of the Patriots***, and have the experience of having played them within the same season and yet you still come out and think that you're going to beat them with the same scheme that they exposed, and have exposed every time we've employed it against them.  The Patriots*** offense is all about timing, and getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly and efficiently. We literally played right into their gameplan, and when it was abundantly apparent within the 1st Quarter that our zone defense wasn't working, adjustments should've been made then and there to try and right the ship. They didn't make adjustments then, they didn't make them after halftime and we got flat out embarrassed because of it. That was a good ole, out back behind the woodshed ass whooping that they put on us.

My biggest Goat for this game isn't any of the players, they surely could've played better, but the scheme never put them in a position to win, and that's on Keith Butler. We made Chris Hogan, some scrub off the streets look like he should be mentioned in discussions about Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and AJ Green.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerSpartan

avatar

Posts : 404
Likes : 139
Join date : 2015-04-30

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm not in the mood to discuss this really, still really proud of the team pulling themselves out of adversity from the mid season low and getting as far as they did....but there are some facts that the team better for once come to terms with.....

1. Your defensive scheme cannot be this dependent on zones/cushions and tackling after the catch....You have to have players in the secondary who can play press/man and contest the ball in air.

The argument is done and over with...The steelers defensive scheme fails utterly vs those assholes..we've just witnessed close to 15 years of it.....and if your not fully committed to making fundamental changes to it we will always be at a severe disadvantage whenever we play them.

2. Home field advantage( thus beating the teams your supposed to beat) matters.....There has to be a recognition and need to correct their consistency issues throughout the regular season.

We all could take the attitude of "well if this would of happened....we had one more of that type of player...or if we just make this little correction.....well we had great year regardless"......but that would be underselling what needs to happen.....

And it would be damning us to a place where we are always second place to those assholes.

_________________
Previously known as: Steel_Bus_24
Member of Steelers Fever forums since 06
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
avatar

Posts : 614
Likes : 518
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:16 pm

We played like garbage.. That said, I'm still proud of this team. We started out so promising this season with the 4-1 start, then dropped 4 to go 4-5. I thought we would be 8-8, 9-7 at best. We then win out to go 11-5 and then win the Wild Card and Divisional round games.

I'm hoping for 1 good free agent pickup and some solid draft picks.

Go Dirty Birds! #NotMySuperBowl

_________________
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

avatar

Posts : 265
Likes : 134
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Erie, PA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 pm

So this is the goat thread, eh? Fine by me, here goes.

The primary excuse for this debacle will undoubtedly be the absence of Le'Veonn Bell for 95% of the game, and while it's certainly A valid excuse, it is by far not even close to a definite reason for the myriad of poor performances across the entire team, save for a few players. Continuing that train of thought, Antonio CANNOT be faulted if he's the only reliable target on offense besides Jesse James, who did as good as you could expect. Ben was mostly accurate tonight, but for some reason was forced into attempting low percentage throws into tight coverage, and I'm not sure if it's even his fault, or Haley's fault for calling shit plays, or for the fact that we have an inexcusable amount of disposable WRs on our roster. I just can't lay too much blame on Ben's feet, especially when considering he felt consistent pressure while being protected by "The Greatest OL in the NFL." One fact is undeniable though, our game plan sucked from beginning to end, and lacked any coherent structure towards winning a conference championship, while squandering an offense that was supposed to be our greatest strength period. Period. And, period.

But no, that's not where I'm laying the majority share for this defeat, and we all know where it's going without me typing another word. With that, I will only ask "Is this defense any better than the one we had one year ago?" If you say yes to that question, then I'd be deadly curious as to why in a flying fucking shit you think so. Ok fine, the LBs have a slightly better rhythm than last year's corp, but they've been gaining hardly any more pressure on opposing QBs, and certainly none against Tom Brady. The DL is OK (albeit Cam Heyward was hurt), but our secondary is another sandwich full of shit altogether. Mitchell is shit, Davis did nothing (although he shows promise), Gay did nothing, and Cockrell did nothing. These are all glaring deficiencies which make me more than prepared to state the same thing about this defense that I was ridiculed for last season, which is: This defense is no better minus Antwon Blake than it was with him, and he was only a minor piece in an otherwise larger failure. You guys can roast me all you want again, but I really don't fucking care, because he was singled out as the primary reason we lost ball games, when I knew for a fact he wasn't our biggest problem. Am I still bitter? Yes. Did anything get fixed? No. Will I type anything into another football forum ever? I'm not sure. Whatever the case may be, be sure to afford the second chance to Artie Burns that you never afforded to Blake.

Edit: Bryant can take a fucking walk, and while I'm not judging him, he's certainly not focused on being a player in the NFL, and only served as a (another) wasted draft pick.

_________________
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before." ~ Steven Wright
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

avatar

Posts : 276
Likes : 58
Join date : 2015-04-16
Location : Pacific rim

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah, really dissapoointed. The momentum swung in the Pats** favor when they went up 10-0 and Bell got hurt. Refs missed 3 pi's and Brady's fumble. They were holding and mugging our young receivers during the crucial periods and the refs let them get away with it. Those factors allowed the game to get out of hand. I think it took the air out of our young defense too. And I agree with others who critiqued the zone. I didn't work. Our DB's are not good enough - not against a top QB. I don't know why they didn't go with man coverage.

Just sick and tired of the Pats**. I can take or leave watching the SB at this point. Funny thing is most of the Pats** fans I've run into are johnny-come-latelys. They have no idea who Steve Grogan is pure bandwagon

Hope the falcons smoke them. But I won't hold my breath.

Gameball to D-Will filled in for Bell admirably and scored twice. Wish the game ended better as this might be his last game, but anyway he was a great backup RB for the team

Goats: refs and the zone defense


Last edited by Steeler-in-west on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kan_t



Posts : 274
Likes : 80
Join date : 2015-04-25

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 pm

I have no problem if they wanted to play zone coverage. I have problem seeing James Harrison kept dropping to the coverage. And it seems that all defensive backs haven't practiced zone coverage at all. Not only the rookies, the veterans also got lost in positioning. That's poor preparation, execution and coaching.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan



Posts : 2001
Likes : 1635
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:31 pm

Lokki wrote:


Go Dirty Birds!  #NotMySuperBowl

My role for the next 2 weeks is to educate Falcons fans in Atlanta who only have a casual dislike of the Pats** because they are the Super Bowl opponent as to why Belichick and Brady, who epitomize much of what is wrong in our win at any cost and narcissistic society, must be stopped in an effort to thwart evil in our midst.

This Atlanta sportswriter is with me

Facing the hated Patriots*, the Falcons are now America’s Team

The Atlanta Falcons aren’t just going to the Super Bowl. They’re going as the choice of everyone who isn’t a New England fan, and why would you be a New England fan if you don’t, you know, live in New England? Maybe the folks in New Orleans will root against the Men of Quinn — the way Atlantans did against the Saints when they lucked up and won that Super Bowl — but those in Texas and Tennessee and California and Colorado and both Carolinas?

They just became Bird-lovers.

Because the Patriots*, as great as they have been and are, aren’t revered. They’re reviled. There’s that lingering suspicion that their coach and their franchise quarterback cheated along the way. Lose to Pete Carroll and you tip your hat. Lose to Belichick/Brady and you want to chew nails
.

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2017/01/22/atlantas-falcons-just-became-americas-team/


Last edited by Atlanta Dan on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu



Posts : 1270
Likes : 565
Join date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
Yeah, really dissapoointed. The momentum swung in the Pats*** favor when they went up 10-0 and Bell got hurt. Refs missed 3 pi's and Brady's fumble. They were holding and mugging our young receivers during the crucial periods and the refs let them get away with it. Those factors allowed the game to get out of hand. I think it took the air out of our young defense too. And I agree with others who critiqued the zone. I didn't work. Our DB's are not good enough - not against a top QB. I don't know why they didn't go with man coverage.

Just sick and tired of the Pats***. I can take or leave watching the SB at this point. Funny thing is most of the Pats*** fans I've run into are johnny-come-latelys. They have no idea who Steve Grogan is pure bandwagon

Hope the falcons smoke them. But I won't hold my breath.

Gameball to D-Will filled in for Bell admirably and scored twice. Wish the game ended better as this might be his last game, but anyway he was a great backup RB for the team

Goats: refs and the zone defense
Steve Grogan? Many of the ones I know just know Bledsoe as that guy who Brady Boy replaced. I think that's what I hate most about their fanbase. They've had a great run this past decade plus no doubt but they think they can talk shit to fans of teams that have a lot of history and man do i get sick of being otld "You're just jealous." Uh no. I don't like losing, but when it's someone like say the Ravens, I know I've lost to an opponent that respects the rules of the game and isn't constantly embroiled in controversy. Don't tell us Belichick and Brady are the GOAT when they have that surrounding them. Sorry I'm rambling but man I ahte those guys.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 290
Likes : 119
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
It was a thorough ass kicking, no two ways about it.

Brady and Belichick own us.  

Exactly. Something needs to change. I sincerely hope this game was a wake up call to the coaching staff, Keith Butler in particular. I don't understand how you can watch all that game film of the Patriots****, and have the experience of having played them within the same season and yet you still come out and think that you're going to beat them with the same scheme that they exposed, and have exposed every time we've employed it against them.  The Patriots**** offense is all about timing, and getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly and efficiently. We literally played right into their gameplan, and when it was abundantly apparent within the 1st Quarter that our zone defense wasn't working, adjustments should've been made then and there to try and right the ship. They didn't make adjustments then, they didn't make them after halftime and we got flat out embarrassed because of it. That was a good ole, out back behind the woodshed ass whooping that they put on us.

My biggest Goat for this game isn't any of the players, they surely could've played better, but the scheme never put them in a position to win, and that's on Keith Butler. We made Chris Hogan, some scrub off the streets look like he should be mentioned in discussions about Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and AJ Green.

I'm with you, but it won't wake anyone up. It will just continue on like this as long as marcia and belicheat are up there. The teams and players change whether its 01, 04, or 16, but the result is always the same. It looks like the Steelers have a better team, then they get to the game and the game plan and/or Steelers players never can match belicheat's game plan, his cheating, or both. I am the world's biggest Atlanta Falcons fan for the next 2 week.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 76
Likes : 30
Join date : 2015-11-06

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 am

Let's not forget that the Steelers aren't the only team the Patriots* "own".
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

avatar

Posts : 276
Likes : 58
Join date : 2015-04-16
Location : Pacific rim

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 am

rellimie wrote:
Let's not forget that the Steelers aren't the only team the Patriots** "own".  

This 'owning' is overblown. Patriots* don't own shit. They just won a game. This steeler team is a revamped team with a young defense that will only get better. They have nothing to do with the steeler teams from ten years ago. They'll be back.
Back to top Go down
muncher
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 26
Likes : 6
Join date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 am

this team will have to cherish afcn title like super bowls until brady or tomlin leave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: It wasn't even...   

Back to top Go down
 
It wasn't even...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: