HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 am

It was a Pro Bowl season for Ben Roethlisberger that just came to an end and the quarterback continues to play at a high level, but when he joined The Cook and Poni Show for the final #1 Cochran Ben Roethlisberger Show, he was very cryptic about his future in the NFL.

“I’m going to take this offseason to evaluate, to consider all options,” Ben told us. “To consider health, and family and things like that and just kind of take some time away to evaluate next season, if there’s going to be a next season.”

When asked if he’s going to play next year, Ben simply said, “I’m going to take some time and evaluate with my family and just do a lot of praying about it and make sure it’s the right thing for me and my family.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-on-Patriots*-they-out-coached-us-they-out-played-us-they-out-executed-us/

Drama!

No word on whether Ben had his foot in a boot during his appearance this morning
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 pm

That comes across poorly. You get smoked by a team that has owned you since day 1 and you talk as if you're considering retirement, which isn't even in the realm of possibilities. Maybe those younger players that Ben said the moment was too big for them ... maybe they need a leader that says things more in line with regrouping and punishing the league next year, or looking forward to setting more records, or even just finding ways to take that next step since they were so close this year.

Oh well, I guess every QB has to try on the dress. No
Back to top Go down
TollingtheBell26

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Dont think he will retire, at least not this year but it definitely is coming. They need to get a QB and start grooming someone for the future
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm disappointed in Ben this year. Not so much in his play, which wasn't superb, but more in his comments. First his criticism in his radio show that they practice too hard under Tomlin and now this No
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:25 pm

I think he will be back, but let's be real: the end of the Big Ben era is in sight, and closer than we ever imagined. I think what the Steelers do this offseason will be the determining factor. If they tag Bell, get some FA help in the way of a true 2 WR and some D help; he will be back to make one last run. If the Steelers do nothing with Bell, pocket the cap space, and simply draft: I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben put in his papers.

There was something about the way he played post injury that said something isn't right. His crisp passing was off and decision making not as great. I noticed something as the season progressed: every time Ben gets hit and knocked down, he comes up wincing. I thought it for a while, but never said it: Ben's body has started breaking down. He isn't superman that can endlessly extend the play anymore. What was the game where Ben threw 2 picks and basically sat in a stupor on the bench until he heard a child cheering him on and telling him he could do it? When have you ever seen that before?

I'll go on record: Ben has 1 season left.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Yeah the 2nd half of the season was really peyton manning-esque. and not prime manning if you know what i mean

I do think he's overplaying it though, he has about 2-3 years left. May be the time to start taking chances with QB's in the draft who have starter potential in 2-3 years. If we could get a russell wilson / prescott in the draft that'd be really nice
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 pm

For what it's worth, Tomlin said that this isn't the first time Ben has mentioned retirement to him. Tomlin also said that potential for replacement at QB "extremely significant".

Guys, I think there is not only smoke on this...there is a lot of fire as well.

Source: Ed B. from the Post Gazette Twitter feed.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Seems rather random.
Personally I think he'll play out this deal and that's it. Unless they're still competing for Super Bowls which is entirely possible depending on what they do in free agency and the draft in the next season or 2 he could play longer.

It's not like he's fallen off a cliff like Peyton did which was sad to see but it happens and it happens fast in football.

early 2017 record prediction - 12-4
Ls to the Packers (even though they're not that good and have the most overrated QB in NFL history), Colts, Jags (cause there's always 1 flopper), and the Chiefs out for revenge just because

Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 pm

@SteelersNorth wrote:
Seems rather random.
Personally I think he'll play out this deal and that's it. Unless they're still competing for Super Bowls which is entirely possible depending on what they do in free agency and the draft in the next season or 2 he could play longer.

It's not like he's fallen off a cliff like Peyton did which was sad to see but it happens and it happens fast in football.

Ls to the Packers (even though they're not that good and have the most overrated QB in NFL history), Colts, Jags (cause there's always 1 flopper), and the Chiefs out for revenge just because

Still clinging to that belief???  After this year's playoffs?  

Eli Manning is far more deserving of that title.  
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
Seems rather random.

Yep easily. No simple way to put this but after the so called 'Pass' (FYI a far better catch than it was a throw) EVERYONE and literally EVERYONE or EVERYTHING (caps for emphasis) you would see or read were sucking off his cock like no tomorrow like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

And he's overrated because everyone literally thinks he does it all himself which is a total joke.
That 'Hail Mary' against the Giants was a PI on Adams for a push off but if you watch the ref on the back line he's watching his feet not the play...go figure.
NFC title game - pure and simple what's the excuse for being down 31-0? Z E R O! if you're THAT good you'd better bring it and back it up. His stats look 'great' because the Falcons put it in neutral for basically 2 quarters but to be exact more like 28:30 minutes. And don't use the lame excuse they're already using to protect his 'image' that all his receivers were 'severely' injured; pfftttt please. You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth (which all the NFL media clowns do for him) say he's great and then when they get their asses handed to them where he does nothing except in 2 quarters of garbage time that he still played great? that's the EPITOME of overrated.

Right now Rodgers playoff record is going down the path of one Peyton Manning barely keeping his head above water at 8-7.

I've said it numerous times that he's good he's just not THAT good or vastly superior to everyone else REGARDLESS of what gets shoved down our throats; which again in my view is trying to build a 'LEGEND' for the sake of doing it.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@FrancoLambert wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
Seems rather random.

Yep easily. No simple way to put this but after the so called 'Pass' (FYI a far better catch than it was a throw) EVERYONE and literally EVERYONE or EVERYTHING (caps for emphasis) you would see or read were sucking off his cock like no tomorrow like the 2nd coming of Jesus.

And he's overrated because everyone literally thinks he does it all himself which is a total joke.
That 'Hail Mary' against the Giants was a PI on Adams for a push off but if you watch the ref on the back line he's watching his feet not the play...go figure.
NFC title game - pure and simple what's the excuse for being down 31-0? Z E R O! if you're THAT good you'd better bring it and back it up. His stats look 'great' because the Falcons put it in neutral for basically 2 quarters but to be exact more like 28:30 minutes. And don't use the lame excuse they're already using to protect his 'image' that all his receivers were 'severely' injured; pfftttt please. You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth (which all the NFL media clowns do for him) say he's great and then when they get their asses handed to them where he does nothing except in 2 quarters of garbage time that he still played great? that's the EPITOME of overrated.

Right now Rodgers playoff record is going down the path of one Peyton Manning barely keeping his head above water at 8-7.

I've said it numerous times that he's good he's just not THAT good or vastly superior to everyone else REGARDLESS of what gets shoved down our throats; which again in my view is trying to build a 'LEGEND' for the sake of doing it.

If given the choice between the two, I'd bet that the majority of GM's and coaches would say that Rodgers is "highly valued" and not "overrated."
Back to top Go down
StainlessStill
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

No matter the situation, the Big Ben-era is nearing an end, fellas. Appreciate him while we can.

So how big does the noose have to be for an adult male? Lol. This was blindsiding!
Back to top Go down
StainlessStill
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

If Ben retires this year, he loses $65 million.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:34 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@FrancoLambert wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
Seems rather random.

If given the choice between the two, I'd bet that the majority of GM's and coaches would say that Rodgers is "highly valued" and not "overrated."

there's only a handful if that of QBs that's are in the 'highly valued' range as it stands and yes I'm agreeing he'd be one of them BUT in saying that anyone of those other guys can out play him and not even break a sweat like Matt Ryan.

My point of him being overrated is that 'The Pass/Throw' was so talked about it was like he literally was on another planet.
Hell even Adam 'i'm always busy giving Rodgers a blow job in my articles' Schien said he's on the same level, THE SAME LEVEL as Jordan! are you fucking kidding me!

On the other side of it not one person mentioned during his fabled 'run the table' streak how he was invisible for the first 10 weeks of the season.
Yet with the Steelers they'd mention 'well they had a couple of horrible games against the Eagles and Dolphins' (and rightfully so because they were putrid).
The Packers got man handled by Dallas, Tennessee of all teams, and the Redskins. On top of that both the Skins and Lions only had to win 2 and 1 game each to eliminate the Packers so they imploded. Give the Packers credit for winning out when they needed too but face the facts that they also got lucky like the Steelers needing the Bills to beat the Jets last year. And as a fan I get it, you take anything because you just never know what can happen in the playoffs.

But be real at the same time you can be a really good player and be overrated because when you fail, the blame as in this case has to fall on the QB due to the simple fact that he's been built up as a messiah but he's been put in a special bubble because the media clowns don't want him to 'look bad'.

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:37 pm

@StainlessStill wrote:

I think he finishes out his contract and calls it quits no one wants to lose $65mil...but then again he doesn't even need it lol

Better trade for Romo
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Winning in the NFL is so hard, even great players looks like they are overrated sometimes. Its just not true. Rodgers isnt playing defense in the NFC title game or fumbling like Ripkowski in a crucial moment.

Heck, as good as Brady and Belichick are, they are a dolt brain call away from losing 3 Super Bowls in a row. They have won 1 super bowl in the last 11 years. Very similar to the Braves run in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm

@StainlessStill wrote:

That will be why he isn't going anywhere...

He may be depressed because of the loss. He may be down in the dumps and sore and tired from the season. His ass is still raw from the complete ass kicking it took from Brady and company but he will be back. He will go play golf, hang out with his toddlers, fuck his really hot wife and recover from the bumps and bruises from an extra long season. Come OTAs he will be out there tossing passes ready to win the AFC North again.
Back to top Go down
Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 pm

I am almost 100% certain that he will be back. Once again it's just the media hyping up something that really isn't there.

The Steelers' organization really does have to focus on who will be our future QB though. So my fellow Steelers' fans, what are some of your suggestions?

I am looking ahead to the 2018 draft and I really like the Pac 12 QB, Luke Falk from Washington State University. I have been watching him play for the last three years and I feel like he is really underrated. He is a tough sob who can take hits and displays accuracy with mobility. I know I may get laughed at for this thought, but I feel like he would fit in perfect with the Steelers' offense and culture.

Here are some of his highlights. I wish I had some more recent ones from this season, but trust, he keeps getting better.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:45 pm

@OX1947 wrote:
Winning in the NFL is so hard, even great players looks like they are overrated sometimes. Its just not true. Rodgers isnt playing defense in the NFC title game or fumbling like Ripkowski in a crucial moment.

Heck, as good as Brady and Belichick are, they are a dolt brain call away from losing 3 Super Bowls in a row. They have won 1 super bowl in the last 11 years. Very similar to the Braves run in the 90's.

hate to break to you but you're wrong.

try and see the light...was 'the throw' over hyped from the Dallas game?
no idea what number a gazillion is but it was a gazillion times over and it wasn't that 'great' of a throw it was the catch.

Now lets just use 3 prime plays in Bens career that really only Steelers fans or their media people will ever talk about not 'nationally'

2005 - 'The Tackle' if rodgers makes that same play its called 'The Tackle' in NFL LORE! like they're trying to build up 'The Throw'
And just saying one guy propelled his team to a super bowl where they other had brown pants by the end of the game not yellow

2008 - Super Bowl XLIII - 'The Drive' & 'The Pass' need I say more. Again IF Rodgers did the same thing they are forever etched on your TV screen EVERY sunday from when that game happened until the end of time.

Heck they even do it with his Hail Marys one of which won a game and 2 others just prolonged a game they deserved to lose.

I'm sorry he's overrated where as always Ben is underrated.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Can be a QB gets drafted in the first 4 rounds.

Nathan Peterman could be a option in rounds 3-4
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 pm

At that age and all the injuries he had, that should not be a surprise. Put yourself in the same situation and you would be lying if you don't have this kind of thoughts. You have rings, you have money set for life and you have a family. At one point you need to think about life after football.

That's being said, he will be back.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Sorry to say, but Ben does have a flare for the dramatic. He's butt hurt about losing getting this far, and wants his teammates to know he won't be around to hang with these younger guys who aren't pulling their weight too much further down the road.

He'll be back for at least 2 more seasons barring a serious injury where he can try and compete for one more ring which I know he desperately wants.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 am

If the steelers are threatening to trade brown.....and Ben is on team antonio, this maybe a power play to look out for his boy.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:47 am

Going to guess that Ben has some kind of ulterior motive behind what he said. Either he's going out to bat for Brown with all of the trade rumors swirling among Coach Tomlin's own comments about great players getting moved around to different teams. Or, he's simply putting a shot out to these younger players that he's not going to stick around if they're not buying into the bigger picture which is winning a seventh Lombardi trophy. Ben has been known to jockey for playmakers to stay around, I believe he did something similar for Emmanuel Sanders.

That or he's just being Ben and jumping on the Brett Favre-esque retirement seesaw to be the center of attention.

My opinion, he'll be back, Brown will be back. We'll be just fine. The media has a tendency to blow these kinds of stories way, way out of proportion. That much is evidenced by Aditi Kinkhabwala reporting that Brown was sulking on the field during Deangelo Williams' rushing TD because he was "wide open" in the endzone and the ball wasn't thrown to him during the AFC Championship game. You could plainly see on video that Brown wasn't sulking, he was out blocking, and ran up and signaled TD as Williams went into the endzone. So the media has a tendency to outright lie, in the name of creating a story.

Pat McAfee even called out Kinkhabwala:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/01/24/colts-punter-pat-mcafee-calls-out-nfl-network-for-lying-about-antonio-brown-pouting-about-stats/

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Going to guess that Ben has some kind of ulterior motive behind what he said. Either he's going out to bat for Brown with all of the trade rumors swirling among Coach Tomlin's own comments about great players getting moved around to different teams. Or, he's simply putting a shot out to these younger players that he's not going to stick around if they're not buying into the bigger picture which is winning a seventh Lombardi trophy. Ben has been known to jockey for playmakers to stay around, I believe he did something similar for Emmanuel Sanders.

That or he's just being Ben and jumping on the Brett Favre-esque retirement seesaw to be the center of attention.

My opinion, he'll be back, Brown will be back. We'll be just fine. The media has a tendency to blow these kinds of stories way, way out of proportion. That much is evidenced by Aditi Kinkhabwala reporting that Brown was sulking on the field during Deangelo Williams' rushing TD because he was "wide open" in the endzone and the ball wasn't thrown to him during the AFC Championship game. You could plainly see on video that Brown wasn't sulking, he was out blocking, and ran up and signaled TD as Williams went into the endzone. So the media has a tendency to outright lie, in the name of creating a story.

Pat McAfee even called out Kinkhabwala:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/01/24/colts-punter-pat-mcafee-calls-out-nfl-network-for-lying-about-antonio-brown-pouting-about-stats/

If Ben was to do what Fav-re did he'd have to retire just before Free Agency happens.
Then when he's had time to decompress, 3 days before training camp starts he 'un-retires' because he has the 'desire' to play again.

Repeat the above for the next 4-5 years if you think Ben is to be like Fav-re (god I hope not)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future   

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger Uncertain About Future
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: