HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Steelers release Justin Gilbert

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 am

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
Yeah just so we're clear. If Deshaun Watson is there at #30 we take him.

I'm hoping this is of the sarcastic side of things lol
Because it would be a total waste.
I will say THE only way it would make sense is if Ben actually does retire before the draft.

Aside from that if we go with the status quo then you draft what you need and right now that's an OLB, DB/CB, or a WR.
I say WR because none of us can count on Bryant and if there is a prime one available I'm grabbing him to play opposite AB. Who that actually is or could be I have no idea only because I don't watch college ball.
The only name I've heard in the WR class that 'could' drop to 30 is Corey Davis (I probably have the name wrong).

Mind you getting a guy that could step in as a prime pass rusher mid-season would be beneficial and be a long term solution.

I fully expect RDs 1-3 to go as follows:
1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR


I agree about not drafting a QB. Ben will play 2 or 3 more years and if it's the latter taking a QB now in the first round would be a waste. Wait until next year then the new QB can learn from Ben for 1 or 2 years.

Besides that it's far from sure that Watson will be a franchise QB for any team. From what I read teams aren't very high on him.

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not.  Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work.  If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA.  If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.

What I don't like about Watson is that he's undersized (especially for the physical AFC north) and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense. He will need to learn to work under center.

He's 6'3" and 215. He will bulk up once he gets to where he is going. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle he will be a beast like Cam Newton. Here is what Bucky Brooks says about him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIddlfuK6c

The Steelers will not draft a 'Cam Newton' clone meaning a bitch QB that wont try and recover a fumble in the biggest game of his life.

Nor will they draft a QB in Rd1 because they'd be stupid to WASTE a pick on a QB in said round.

And citing Prescott as a great example is crazy too. No one expected him to even start it was to be the Sanchize but he's shit so by default Prescott got the job, and to boot no one expected them to go 13-3 more like 3-13.

I guess at this point with everyone wanting to draft a QB we might as well trade AB and let Bell walk, just tear it right down and start over
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 10597
Likes : 712
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 am

I'm all for drafting a QB, just not this year. I believe this year doesn't offer a substantial improvement (via the draft) over what is already on the roster. Besides, if the Steelers take the right path, I believe there is an alternate solution to our backup QB position via Free Agent.

I agree with you SteelersNorth that drafting a QB would be a wasted pick. I honestly believe our offense is one of the best in the league when they are firing on all cylinders. And while the games against the Chiefs and Patriots***** were lack luster performances, our biggest problems are on the defensive side of the ball and need serious addressing in the draft.

_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 292
Likes : 75
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:40 am

QB next year. This year must be OLB maybe even twice in the top 4.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2419
Likes : 465
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:48 am

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
Yeah just so we're clear. If Deshaun Watson is there at #30 we take him.

I'm hoping this is of the sarcastic side of things lol
Because it would be a total waste.
I will say THE only way it would make sense is if Ben actually does retire before the draft.

Aside from that if we go with the status quo then you draft what you need and right now that's an OLB, DB/CB, or a WR.
I say WR because none of us can count on Bryant and if there is a prime one available I'm grabbing him to play opposite AB. Who that actually is or could be I have no idea only because I don't watch college ball.
The only name I've heard in the WR class that 'could' drop to 30 is Corey Davis (I probably have the name wrong).

Mind you getting a guy that could step in as a prime pass rusher mid-season would be beneficial and be a long term solution.

I fully expect RDs 1-3 to go as follows:
1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR


I agree about not drafting a QB. Ben will play 2 or 3 more years and if it's the latter taking a QB now in the first round would be a waste. Wait until next year then the new QB can learn from Ben for 1 or 2 years.

Besides that it's far from sure that Watson will be a franchise QB for any team. From what I read teams aren't very high on him.

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not.  Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work.  If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA.  If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.

What I don't like about Watson is that he's undersized (especially for the physical AFC north) and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense. He will need to learn to work under center.

He's 6'3" and 215. He will bulk up once he gets to where he is going. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle he will be a beast like Cam Newton. Here is what Bucky Brooks says about him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIddlfuK6c

The Steelers will not draft a 'Cam Newton' clone meaning a bitch QB that wont try and recover a fumble in the biggest game of his life.

Nor will they draft a QB in Rd1 because they'd be stupid to WASTE a pick on a QB in said round.

And citing Prescott as a great example is crazy too. No one expected him to even start it was to be the Sanchize but he's shit so by default Prescott got the job, and to boot no one expected them to go 13-3 more like 3-13.

I guess at this point with everyone wanting to draft a QB we might as well trade AB and let Bell walk, just tear it right down and start over

First of all I'm referring to his size. Not his character! I never said we needed a "bitch" QB. I said he has the physical characteristics.

Call me crazy but when Ben took over he wasn't supposed to but he was the obvious choice.Unless you have inside info on the Cowboy's I'd say Prescott was also the obvious choice. Whether anyone expected it or not they went 13-3,PERIOD.Now, go ahead and tell us how Prescott was a bad decision for the Cowboys.No one expected us to go 15-1with Ben as a rookie either but we did,Period.

It takes at least a couple of years to determine if any pick is a waste and I don't own a crystal ball. I don';t know how old you are. I don't know if you watched guys like Malone,Brister,Tomzak,Woodley,Stout and the O'dumbass fiasco in the SB against Dallas but all that was painful to watch. Not to mention up and down Kordell.

I would rather us "WASTE" a pick on Watson than have to watch years of inept QBs drag an otherwise talented team down for 3 or 4 years.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 am

@solardave wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
Yeah just so we're clear. If Deshaun Watson is there at #30 we take him.

I'm hoping this is of the sarcastic side of things lol
Because it would be a total waste.
I will say THE only way it would make sense is if Ben actually does retire before the draft.

Aside from that if we go with the status quo then you draft what you need and right now that's an OLB, DB/CB, or a WR.
I say WR because none of us can count on Bryant and if there is a prime one available I'm grabbing him to play opposite AB. Who that actually is or could be I have no idea only because I don't watch college ball.
The only name I've heard in the WR class that 'could' drop to 30 is Corey Davis (I probably have the name wrong).

Mind you getting a guy that could step in as a prime pass rusher mid-season would be beneficial and be a long term solution.

I fully expect RDs 1-3 to go as follows:
1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR


I agree about not drafting a QB. Ben will play 2 or 3 more years and if it's the latter taking a QB now in the first round would be a waste. Wait until next year then the new QB can learn from Ben for 1 or 2 years.

Besides that it's far from sure that Watson will be a franchise QB for any team. From what I read teams aren't very high on him.

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not.  Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work.  If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA.  If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.

What I don't like about Watson is that he's undersized (especially for the physical AFC north) and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense. He will need to learn to work under center.

He's 6'3" and 215. He will bulk up once he gets to where he is going. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle he will be a beast like Cam Newton. Here is what Bucky Brooks says about him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIddlfuK6c

The Steelers will not draft a 'Cam Newton' clone meaning a bitch QB that wont try and recover a fumble in the biggest game of his life.

Nor will they draft a QB in Rd1 because they'd be stupid to WASTE a pick on a QB in said round.

And citing Prescott as a great example is crazy too. No one expected him to even start it was to be the Sanchize but he's shit so by default Prescott got the job, and to boot no one expected them to go 13-3 more like 3-13.

I guess at this point with everyone wanting to draft a QB we might as well trade AB and let Bell walk, just tear it right down and start over

First of all I'm referring to his size. Not his character! I never said we needed a "bitch" QB. I said he has the physical characteristics. i said bitch QB because you specifically mentioned Newton who refused to dive on a ball in the super bowl

Call me crazy but when Ben took over he wasn't supposed to but he was the obvious choice.Unless you have inside info on the Cowboy's I'd say Prescott was also the obvious choice. Whether anyone expected it or not they went 13-3,PERIOD.Now, go ahead and tell us how Prescott was a bad decision for the Cowboys.No one expected us to go 15-1with Ben as a rookie either but we did,Period. Well Ben only got the 'job' because Chuck was also injured that year. Otherwise he'd of sat for a season or 2 before he actually 'got' the job outright. As for the Cowboys don't forget they picked up Sanchize to be Romo's backup he's just that bad and Prescott played that good in the preseason so he beat him out and with them not knowing when Romo would actually return they had nothing to lose. Having said that he was a 4th round pick; you can't expect him to be a starter his rookie season or even dress it just happened to work out and he took advantage of it. So the Cowboys look like geniuses where in actuality they fluked it.

It takes at least a couple of years to determine if any pick is a waste and I don't own a crystal ball. I don';t know how old you are. I don't know if you watched guys like Malone,Brister,Tomzak,Woodley,Stout and the O'dumbass fiasco in the SB against Dallas but all that was painful to watch. Not to mention up and down Kordell. Old enough to know of the Neil days and Kordell but wasn't a fan then. I live in Canada so before Sunday ticket I was stuck watching the Bills. Thankfully they stunk in 2004 which is when I became a Steelers fan as my local area would pick up the next regional game and the Steelers happened to be the team

I would rather us "WASTE" a pick on Watson than have to watch years of inept QBs drag an otherwise talented team down for 3 or 4 years.I hate doing this but that's just pure stupidity thinking like that. If the Steelers 'should' be drafting a QB that's still in his prime then all the teams i mentioned earlier should be doing the same, Packers, Saints, Pats*, Chargers, Giants, hell Atlanta cause Ryan's in his 30s, Ravens (although they still don't have a QB lol). But based on your method/theory since nothing says Watson will even be any good at the NFL level (remember JaMarcus Russell); you'd rather burn a pick to get the potential 'next' guy, instead of getting an impact player at one of the 3 main positions they need in OLB/CB/WR that could put them over the top and win it all? Good thing you're not the GM then WOW! Unreal.

responses in bold above ^
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 2541
Likes : 495
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : here when I'm posting

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 am

Don't know how the draft will fall for the Steelers I'm for BPA but I'd like to see them draft 2 corners and 2 OLBs imo the Steelers can get what the defense needs CB and OLB early in the draft.

with this draft being deep in both positions its a good possibility they can get the other 2 in the later rounds you know are athletic but don't have the experience.

if there isn't a run on WRs, in the middle round of the draft I like Noah Brown Ohio State he is big fast athletic not much on experience but I think coach Mann could really coach him up to the 53 man roster.

as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.

a RB I like is Cory Clement Wisconsin

_________________
aren't you pickin your peaches before they get good and fuzzy?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:26 pm

@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year. I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft? Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games? The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving. DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake. (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.That's a who cares question with a BFD answer. Until he takes an NFL snap/plays in an NFL game it doesn't matter. Half that defense could be in the NFL for all I know (I don't watch college ball) and the other half could be washing cars. So because he played against 5.5 players he's amazing?

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)


It's not a mistake NOT drafting a QB this year, the mistake IS drafting the QB.
It's WIN NOW, not WIN LATER!

No guarantees they'll win another one with Ben as it stands, but by drafting a QB you've officially said the last few years of his career are pointless and he might as well just retire.

Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2419
Likes : 465
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:37 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm

@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

I agree that Landry Jones is only ever going to be the backup. He is a modern day Cliff Stoudt or Mark Malone. I think if Watson is there it becomes an Aaron Rodgers scenario that the QB of the future is on the sidelines for 2 or 3 seasons.

I get what others are saying that you get the best talented CB, OLB, ILB, TE that helps you win in 2017. But, I heard Bill Polian talking about not drafting a QB at #1 when dominant defenders are at #1 and he said that you don't take a QB because you need one and he is the 10th most talented guy on the board. "you don't pay for a Ferarri and get a Chevette". I believe that DeShaun Watson at #30 would be the most talented player on the board and a Ferarri, but some on this board think we would draft the Chevette, because that is what is NEEDED.

IMO, this should all be moot and Watson gets drafted higher. In that case its still BPA for the Steelers in round 1 and they have lots of holes to fill IMO at OLB, TE, WR, ILB.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 pm

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick? They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team. Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick?  They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team.  Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.


No I don't remember since I wasn't a fan at that point.

Having said that during my brief era, leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft lots of people wanted/thought the Steelers would draft Eifert, they didn't because they still had the BEST (yes I said that) OVERALL TE in the NFL (meaning one that could block like an actual TE and catch not just catch and run like Gronk or Graham etc.) in Heath.
What did they draft instead?
NEED; which happened to be a BUST in Jones.

Summation: you're not drafting a QB just for the 'SAKE' of drafting a QB in the first round. It's idiotic and will basically end any hope this team has at winning anything for the remainder of Ben's career.
It's also entirely possible the OLB or CB or whatever they get is a bust as well, but again by drafting a QB that will pick his nose for 2 or 3 or 4, maybe 5 seasons is literally pointless.

Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2419
Likes : 465
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 am

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick?  They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team.  Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.


No I don't remember since I wasn't a fan at that point.

Having said that during my brief era, leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft lots of people wanted/thought the Steelers would draft Eifert, they didn't because they still had the BEST (yes I said that) OVERALL TE in the NFL (meaning one that could block like an actual TE and catch not just catch and run like Gronk or Graham etc.) in Heath.
What did they draft instead?
NEED; which happened to be a BUST in Jones.

Summation: you're not drafting a QB just for the 'SAKE' of drafting a QB in the first round. It's idiotic and will basically end any hope this team has at winning anything for the remainder of Ben's career.
It's also entirely possible the OLB or CB or whatever they get is a bust as well, but again by drafting a QB that will pick his nose for 2 or 3 or 4, maybe 5 seasons is literally pointless.


Let's get something straight. I NEVER said we had to draft a QB. It's hard to argue with a person that twists what you say to fit their argument. All I said was if Watson is their IMO he would be a steal. What I never did was call your ideas "stupid and idiotic". Just because someone doesn't agree with me I don't start with insults.
Here is how I see it for what it's worth. You don't wait until Ben can't play anymore to start looking if there is a good candidate staring you in the face. A smart draft pick can learn while being a backup. He still gets reps in practice and gets mentored by one of the best.
you admit you weren't a fan back in the lean years so you don't know the absolute frustration caused by all of the bad QBs we had. All this because we waited. We actually passed on Marino. We picked Gabe Riviera five spots before. How did that work out? Let that sink in. How many more SB wins would we have? Who knows.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 am

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick?  They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team.  Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.


No I don't remember since I wasn't a fan at that point.

Having said that during my brief era, leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft lots of people wanted/thought the Steelers would draft Eifert, they didn't because they still had the BEST (yes I said that) OVERALL TE in the NFL (meaning one that could block like an actual TE and catch not just catch and run like Gronk or Graham etc.) in Heath.
What did they draft instead?
NEED; which happened to be a BUST in Jones.

Summation: you're not drafting a QB just for the 'SAKE' of drafting a QB in the first round. It's idiotic and will basically end any hope this team has at winning anything for the remainder of Ben's career.
It's also entirely possible the OLB or CB or whatever they get is a bust as well, but again by drafting a QB that will pick his nose for 2 or 3 or 4, maybe 5 seasons is literally pointless.


Take a breath, calm down and try to read what is being said here.

Steelers don't NEED a QB right now, but will in 2 or 3 years. IMO, DeShaun Watson is a Jameis Winston type QB and if he is there at #30, he should be selected because of the best value on the board at the time. You advocate taking BPA by citing the need pick and bust of Jarvis Jones, but then ignore the assertion that a franchise QB at pick #30 is "idiotic" pick.

I am not saying "draft a QB in the first round". I am saying that passing on a franchise QB when you have a 35 year old QB is "idiotic", because they don't come around that often. More than likely Watson should be taken around 15 and not get past the Chiefs at the latest.

I'm a Steeler fan for life, so when Ben retires after 2 more seasons and the Steelers don't have a QB, I will endure the 2nd coming of Cliff Stoudt or Mark Malone. If you were not even a fan in 97, then you have no idea of what that feels like. Maybe by then Buffalo will be good again and you can follow them.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am

@solardave wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick?  They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team.  Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.


No I don't remember since I wasn't a fan at that point.

Having said that during my brief era, leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft lots of people wanted/thought the Steelers would draft Eifert, they didn't because they still had the BEST (yes I said that) OVERALL TE in the NFL (meaning one that could block like an actual TE and catch not just catch and run like Gronk or Graham etc.) in Heath.
What did they draft instead?
NEED; which happened to be a BUST in Jones.

Summation: you're not drafting a QB just for the 'SAKE' of drafting a QB in the first round. It's idiotic and will basically end any hope this team has at winning anything for the remainder of Ben's career.
It's also entirely possible the OLB or CB or whatever they get is a bust as well, but again by drafting a QB that will pick his nose for 2 or 3 or 4, maybe 5 seasons is literally pointless.


Let's get something straight. I NEVER said we had to draft a QB. It's hard to argue with a person that twists what you say to fit their argument. All I said was if Watson is their IMO he would be a steal. What I never did was call your ideas "stupid and idiotic". Just because someone doesn't agree with me I don't start with insults.
Here is how I see it for what it's worth. You don't wait until Ben can't play anymore to start looking if there is a good candidate staring you in the face. A smart draft pick can learn while being a backup. He still gets reps in practice and gets mentored by one of the best.
you admit you weren't a fan back in the lean years so you don't know the absolute frustration caused by all of the bad QBs we had. All this because we waited. We actually passed on Marino. We picked Gabe Riviera five spots before. How did that work out? Let that sink in. How many more SB wins would we have? Who knows.


I've read up on history etc. and I watched football in the early 90s and knew the Steelers had a solid D for awhile so if Marino (the best PURE PASSER I've seen) was a Steeler 4 life who knows what may have been.
The only back up the Steelers have had in my time as a fan who I actually trusted was Chuck Batch.
Leftwhich was crap, and i just have no faith in Landry, although I will say he played fairly well in the 2 games he played in this past season against the Cheatriots and Browns.

Ben can probably play until he's 40 if he only takes the sacks he took this year at 17/season and less hits overall.
In general the Steelers are in WIN NOW not WIN IF WE'RE LUCKY like the Browns are each season.

And you're argument for them taking a QB is flawed as it is because I listed all the teams ahead of them in the draft except 1 that should be taking a QB based on their QB ages which is your reason for the Steelers doing the same.

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:


as a QB draft pick imo wouldn't think about that until next years draft this draft is really thin at the QB position.


This is the most likely reason that the Steelers don't pick a QB this year.  I am saying that a lot of people like to devalue DeShaun Watson and make him out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, Taj Boyd, etc. so he might be there at pick #30.  

I ask the knowledgeable on this board how many NFL Defensive players did Alabama put in the NFL in last years draft and how many will be in this years NFL draft?  Then I will ask you to name a QB that played them once in each of those years and totalled 825 Passing Yards, 7 Passing TD's and 1 INT in those 2 games?  The answer is a guy with a National Championship title and a National Championship loss by 5 points against arguably the best defense in college football.

Pundits will question the talent level a prospect played against like Trubisky, talk about busts with 1 year of success like Akili Smith or criticize Peyton Manning for wilting in the moment more than thriving.  DeShaun Watson played in 2 national title games, put up 400 yards a game passing against defenses loaded with future NFL players and WON at title.  

I think if DeShaun Watson is there at #30 and you pass on him for Teez Tabor because you think you need a CB more than a QB, its a mistake.  (If evaluators are smart, Watson doesn't last to #30 IMO)

I honestly don't follow college football. I mentioned Watson early on and you said if he's there at #30 we should grab him. I happen to agree. Mostly because I value your opinion and I honestly thought I had a valid point. I still do. I don't think you wait until your starting QB can't play any more before you draft a future starter. I'm pretty sure Landry Jones is not our future.
Gonzo I know you like Landry Jones and to be honest I feel a little more comfortable with him every Time he plays but I think all he is going to be is  a backup. I'm talking about a guy (Watson) who could learn from Ben so that when the time comes the next man up is ready to WIN NOW.

You know what you guys are right.
It makes perfect sense to draft Watson resign Jones and Ben be the starter because he'll get tons of snaps and be 'seasoned' in 6 years.
Smart move I'm really coming around on this plan.

Do you remember when the Steelers NEEDED a TE and drafted Mark Bruener instead of ILB Derrick Brooks the very next pick?  They had ILB's, but Derrick Brooks in the long run would have contributed more than Mark Bruener to the team.  Would have been nice when Chad Brown left in 1997 to have a HOF ILB on the roster.....but instead had a serviceable TE.


No I don't remember since I wasn't a fan at that point.

Having said that during my brief era, leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft lots of people wanted/thought the Steelers would draft Eifert, they didn't because they still had the BEST (yes I said that) OVERALL TE in the NFL (meaning one that could block like an actual TE and catch not just catch and run like Gronk or Graham etc.) in Heath.
What did they draft instead?
NEED; which happened to be a BUST in Jones.

Summation: you're not drafting a QB just for the 'SAKE' of drafting a QB in the first round. It's idiotic and will basically end any hope this team has at winning anything for the remainder of Ben's career.
It's also entirely possible the OLB or CB or whatever they get is a bust as well, but again by drafting a QB that will pick his nose for 2 or 3 or 4, maybe 5 seasons is literally pointless.


Take a breath, calm down and try to read what is being said here.

Steelers don't NEED a QB right now, but will in 2 or 3 years.  IMO, DeShaun Watson is a Jameis Winston type QB and if he is there at #30, he should be selected because of the best value on the board at the time.  You advocate taking BPA by citing the need pick and bust of Jarvis Jones, but then ignore the assertion that a franchise QB at pick #30 is "idiotic" pick.

I am not saying "draft a QB in the first round".  I am saying that passing on a franchise QB when you have a 35 year old QB is "idiotic", because they don't come around that often.  More than likely Watson should be taken around 15 and not get past the Chiefs at the latest.

I'm a Steeler fan for life, so when Ben retires after 2 more seasons and the Steelers don't have a QB, I will endure the 2nd coming of Cliff Stoudt or Mark Malone.  If you were not even a fan in 97, then you have no idea of what that feels like.  Maybe by then Buffalo will be good again and you can follow them.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

I was just pointing out what the Steelers needed in 2013 much like what they need in 2017.

Most teams franchise QB they get within the first 10 picks.
Yes there are exceptions every so often/flukes like Brady, Wilson, Prescott (those are the quick ones I can point out).

Regardless of what happened in the 80s and 90s and early 2ks before Ben; by drafting a QB at 30 to me that's throwing away the remaining years this current team has at winning another Super Bowl.
Be real for a minute on the defensive side of the ball, Harrison can't play 16 games although its entirely possible because of who he is a genetic freak lol but logically it's impossible for a guy his age at that position.
That's a NEED.
Burns will be probably like Ike Taylor where he will be a pretty good cover/shutdown corner.
Is Cockrell the 'best' option? can we count on Golson who has no idea what a football field looks like?
That's a NEED.
Ideally we know what the deal is with Bryant before the draft, odds are Roger Dodger will drag it out.
If that's the case a bonafide #2 (Coates didn't exactly pan out, yes I know broken fingers/groin injury), Hamilton, maybe could? But if you could potentially get one of the top 5 guys listed to take pressure off AB why wouldn't you do that?
There's also the option of bringing back Wheaton on a minimal deal if we're lucky but neither here nor there, a #2 is still needed due to Bryant not being reliable to stay on the field.

I'd rather win 1 or 2 more times now and suffer for a season or 2 and get the NEXT Ben not a 'potential' Ben.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 pm

@SteelersNorth wrote:
[LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

I was just pointing out what the Steelers needed in 2013 much like what they need in 2017.

Most teams franchise QB they get within the first 10 picks.
Yes there are exceptions every so often/flukes like Brady, Wilson, Prescott (those are the quick ones I can point out).

Regardless of what happened in the 80s and 90s and early 2ks before Ben; by drafting a QB at 30 to me that's throwing away the remaining years this current team has at winning another Super Bowl.
Be real for a minute on the defensive side of the ball, Harrison can't play 16 games although its entirely possible because of who he is a genetic freak lol but logically it's impossible for a guy his age at that position.
That's a NEED.
Burns will be probably like Ike Taylor where he will be a pretty good cover/shutdown corner.
Is Cockrell the 'best' option? can we count on Golson who has no idea what a football field looks like?
That's a NEED.
Ideally we know what the deal is with Bryant before the draft, odds are Roger Dodger will drag it out.
If that's the case a bonafide #2 (Coates didn't exactly pan out, yes I know broken fingers/groin injury), Hamilton, maybe could? But if you could potentially get one of the top 5 guys listed to take pressure off AB why wouldn't you do that?
There's also the option of bringing back Wheaton on a minimal deal if we're lucky but neither here nor there, a #2 is still needed due to Bryant not being reliable to stay on the field.

I'd rather win 1 or 2 more times now and suffer for a season or 2 and get the NEXT Ben not a 'potential' Ben.


Oh, I know the Steelers need help at OLB, WR, TE and even D line depth and CB depth. They even need RB depth. If the Steelers grade out a QB at 15th best player in the draft and he is there at #30, I guarantee you they will draft him.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
[LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

I was just pointing out what the Steelers needed in 2013 much like what they need in 2017.

Most teams franchise QB they get within the first 10 picks.
Yes there are exceptions every so often/flukes like Brady, Wilson, Prescott (those are the quick ones I can point out).

Regardless of what happened in the 80s and 90s and early 2ks before Ben; by drafting a QB at 30 to me that's throwing away the remaining years this current team has at winning another Super Bowl.
Be real for a minute on the defensive side of the ball, Harrison can't play 16 games although its entirely possible because of who he is a genetic freak lol but logically it's impossible for a guy his age at that position.
That's a NEED.
Burns will be probably like Ike Taylor where he will be a pretty good cover/shutdown corner.
Is Cockrell the 'best' option? can we count on Golson who has no idea what a football field looks like?
That's a NEED.
Ideally we know what the deal is with Bryant before the draft, odds are Roger Dodger will drag it out.
If that's the case a bonafide #2 (Coates didn't exactly pan out, yes I know broken fingers/groin injury), Hamilton, maybe could? But if you could potentially get one of the top 5 guys listed to take pressure off AB why wouldn't you do that?
There's also the option of bringing back Wheaton on a minimal deal if we're lucky but neither here nor there, a #2 is still needed due to Bryant not being reliable to stay on the field.

I'd rather win 1 or 2 more times now and suffer for a season or 2 and get the NEXT Ben not a 'potential' Ben.


Oh, I know the Steelers need help at OLB, WR, TE and even D line depth and CB depth.  They even need RB depth.  If the Steelers grade out a QB at 15th best player in the draft and he is there at #30, I guarantee you they will draft him.  

NEEDS (meaning guys that can step in right away like this past season)
OLB/CB/WR

Depth NEEDS:
DL/RB

They might draft a QB in the 4th rd or later but even then that's a stretch because of the win now mentality/mode and other 'needs' as stated above.

So what's the bet should you lose this guarantee, because there's no way they waste that 30th pick on a QB and I GUARANTEE they won't take a QB at 30!
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2419
Likes : 465
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:23 pm

@SteelersNorth wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:
[LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

I was just pointing out what the Steelers needed in 2013 much like what they need in 2017.

Most teams franchise QB they get within the first 10 picks.
Yes there are exceptions every so often/flukes like Brady, Wilson, Prescott (those are the quick ones I can point out).

Regardless of what happened in the 80s and 90s and early 2ks before Ben; by drafting a QB at 30 to me that's throwing away the remaining years this current team has at winning another Super Bowl.
Be real for a minute on the defensive side of the ball, Harrison can't play 16 games although its entirely possible because of who he is a genetic freak lol but logically it's impossible for a guy his age at that position.
That's a NEED.
Burns will be probably like Ike Taylor where he will be a pretty good cover/shutdown corner.
Is Cockrell the 'best' option? can we count on Golson who has no idea what a football field looks like?
That's a NEED.
Ideally we know what the deal is with Bryant before the draft, odds are Roger Dodger will drag it out.
If that's the case a bonafide #2 (Coates didn't exactly pan out, yes I know broken fingers/groin injury), Hamilton, maybe could? But if you could potentially get one of the top 5 guys listed to take pressure off AB why wouldn't you do that?
There's also the option of bringing back Wheaton on a minimal deal if we're lucky but neither here nor there, a #2 is still needed due to Bryant not being reliable to stay on the field.

I'd rather win 1 or 2 more times now and suffer for a season or 2 and get the NEXT Ben not a 'potential' Ben.


Oh, I know the Steelers need help at OLB, WR, TE and even D line depth and CB depth.  They even need RB depth.  If the Steelers grade out a QB at 15th best player in the draft and he is there at #30, I guarantee you they will draft him.  

NEEDS (meaning guys that can step in right away like this past season)
OLB/CB/WR

Depth NEEDS:
DL/RB

They might draft a QB in the 4th rd or later but even then that's a stretch because of the win now mentality/mode and other 'needs' as stated above.

So what's the bet should you lose this guarantee, because there's no way they waste that 30th pick on a QB and I GUARANTEE they won't take a QB at 30!

I'm about 99% sure they won't draft a QB either. And Brady went in the 6th round, he turned out to be above average. I never said they would. For the record I agree with OLB and CB but not a WR. At least not in the top 3. I bet they go OLB,DB,OLB. But you know what. We won't know until the draft and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 292
Likes : 75
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 pm

I am perfectly fine double dipping at OLB in the first three rounds we need two beasts at that position and while Dupree is good he hasn't played a full season and his production has not been stellar. Harrison can groom the pups into monsters. We need to make up some time for the bust that was Mr. Jones.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 am

@SteelersNorth wrote:


NEEDS (meaning guys that can step in right away like this past season)
OLB/CB/WR

Depth NEEDS:
DL/RB

They might draft a QB in the 4th rd or later but even then that's a stretch because of the win now mentality/mode and other 'needs' as stated above.

So what's the bet should you lose this guarantee, because there's no way they waste that 30th pick on a QB and I GUARANTEE they won't take a QB at 30!

Teams get rookies to step in right away, because they have substandard talent at those positions and lack of depth. If the Steelers have missed so many draft picks the past few years that they needed to plug in guys like Davis and Burns, despite all their mistakes.

I don't know that you will get many OLB's stepping in right away this year. Dupree, Moats, Harrison, Chickillo are decent enough that a #30 pick wont step in day 1. WR might have to if Bryant smokes up some more and TE could if Green cant play.

The bet should be that if DeShaun Watson gets past the Steelers at #30, I owe you some Steam Whistle. :cheers:. the out clause is in case his stock drops because he is smoking crack with Johnny football or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 499
Likes : 110
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 am

I would wait another year to draft a QB. Like SteelersNorth pointed out we have more urgent needs and this year's QB class is really meh, worst class in years imo. I believe that only Trubisky is kind of NFL-ready right now, all others need serious development.

It looks like the Steelers are going to draft a QB this year however. I read several weeks ago that Bouchette said that according to Rooney it was likely that they were going to draft one this year. If I had to chose I would take Davis Webb in round 3 rather than Watson in round 1. He needs to learn the same mechanics that Watson lacks at the moment: working under center, operating the huddle and adjusting his footwork. Webb has the bigger body, Watson is a better runner. And if you want to develop a QB I rather pick one in round 3 or 4 than a slightly better one in round 1.

It will be key for both QB's that they will be drafted by a team where they can be back-up for at least 2 years, preferably 3 (Chargers, Chiefs, Giants, Steelers,...). If drafted by a QB now needy team (Browns, 49ers, Bears, Texans,...) their carreers will be ruined soon.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth



Posts : 561
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:03 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@SteelersNorth wrote:


NEEDS (meaning guys that can step in right away like this past season)
OLB/CB/WR

Depth NEEDS:
DL/RB

They might draft a QB in the 4th rd or later but even then that's a stretch because of the win now mentality/mode and other 'needs' as stated above.

So what's the bet should you lose this guarantee, because there's no way they waste that 30th pick on a QB and I GUARANTEE they won't take a QB at 30!

Teams get rookies to step in right away, because they have substandard talent at those positions and lack of depth.  If the Steelers have missed so many draft picks the past few years that they needed to plug in guys like Davis and Burns, despite all their mistakes. that's not entirely true. if the guy has the talent he plays right away. Or its the trial by fire ie sink or swim.

I don't know that you will get many OLB's stepping in right away this year.  Dupree, Moats, Harrison, Chickillo are decent enough that a #30 pick wont step in day 1.  WR might have to if Bryant smokes up some more and TE could if Green cant play. should they take an OLB at #30 by mid season he'll be the starter OR rotational guy with Harrison. Chickillo and Moats aren't starters but very good depth/spell guys for a snap or 2 players every so often. WR might be a great pick if we land one of the top 5 guys (i stress the IF factor) and TE I think we'll be fine because I loved Green when he played especially the Giants game which I also happened to be at

The bet should be that if DeShaun Watson gets past the Steelers at #30, I owe you some Steam Whistle. :cheers:.  the out clause is in case his stock drops because he is smoking crack with Johnny football or something like that.   steam whistle is a horrible beer to me at least lol Mill St is far better if you haven't tried it lol
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

avatar

Posts : 1783
Likes : 807
Join date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
I would wait another year to draft a QB. Like SteelersNorth pointed out we have more urgent needs and this year's QB class is really meh, worst class in years imo. I believe that only Trubisky is kind of NFL-ready right now, .

Did you watch Trubisky play this season? He had some good games and has the tools, but he looked less than inspiring in the loss against NC State and the loss in the Sun Bowl against Stanford he had 2 TD and 2 INT and q QBR of 43.

This is what I find Hilarious........Mitch Trubisky throws 2TD and 2 INT(pick 6) in the SUN BOWL against Stanford and he is the best QB in the draft. DeShaun Watson throws for 400+ yards against Alabama in the National Championship Game (2 YEARS IN A ROW)....and he just isn't ready.


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   

Back to top Go down
 
Steelers release Justin Gilbert
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: