HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:34 am

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 am

@BlackAndGold wrote:

I say let him play out this season under the franchise tag. I still don't trust him enough. After the suspensions, and injuries that have lead to him never playing an entire season... I think we should let him play out this season, and then try to sign him if he makes it through the season issue free.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 am

I'm ok if they give him a long term contract before July 15, but if they do, then there certainly should be some verbiage regarding suspensions and monies owed back should he fail to hold up his end of the deal.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@BlackAndGold wrote:

I say let him play out this season under the franchise tag. I still don't trust him enough. After the suspensions, and injuries that have lead to him never playing an entire season... I think we should let him play out this season, and then try to sign him if he makes it through the season issue free.

No real down side to doing just that.  If he stays healthy, clean, and repeats this year's performance, you pay the man.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 am

Agree with most here, let him play this season and see if he can make it a full one before entrusting him into a long term deal. There are still too many questions marks with his health, attitude, 2nd job/hobby of rapping, drug concerns, etc. to lay down a ton of money before the season begins.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Per Mark Kaboly on Twitter:

Quote :
Le'Veon Bell is now the the highest paid RB in the league. And it's not even close. $4 million gap.

We're putting a lot of money on the table...
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Stability (2 suspensions) and durability (hasn't made it through an entire season healthy) are the reason I think they should let him play out the franchise tag. He's still young enough to put it all together and just imagine if he makes it healthy / smoke free through the whole season the records he could set. Not to mention how it would help us in 2017.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 am

@jak341 wrote:

Quote :
Le'Veon Bell is now the the highest paid RB in the league. And it's not even close. $4 million gap.

Is Kaboly smoking doobage? I'm not an expert at how the franchise tag is paid, but thought it was something like the average of the top 5 running backs. How does Bell become the highest paid by far if he's tagged???

Here's a blurb from the Trib:

Quote :
The purpose of the exclusive franchise tag is to make the one-year deal more expensive for teams, which is why the nonexclusive tag is preferred. But Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, the league's highest-paid running back with an $18 million salary this year, could be a salary-cap casualty, which could drive down the average cost. The next highest-paid back, Buffalo's LeSean McCoy, is scheduled to make $8.875 million in 2017.

Read the rest of the article here.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:23 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Quote :

Is Kaboly smoking doobage? I'm not an expert at how the franchise tag is paid, but thought it was something like the average of the top 5 running backs. How does Bell become the highest paid by far if he's tagged???

Quote :
The purpose of the exclusive franchise tag is to make the one-year deal more expensive for teams, which is why the nonexclusive tag is preferred. But Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, the league's highest-paid running back with an $18 million salary this year, could be a salary-cap casualty, which could drive down the average cost. The next highest-paid back, Buffalo's LeSean McCoy, is scheduled to make $8.875 million in 2017.

If you follow the Tweets, there is a lot of discussion surrounding that statement. The long and short of it was there was a change to the tag, and how the tag is applied. It got over my head quickly, so I didn't follow it anymore. It was something about the average of the top 5 RBs over 5 a 5 year period.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 am

@jak341 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

If you follow the Tweets, there is a lot of discussion surrounding that statement. The long and short of it was there was a change to the tag, and how the tag is applied. It got over my head quickly, so I didn't follow it anymore. It was something about the average of the top 5 RBs over 5 a 5 year period.

Ok, thanks for the info. Seems strange that the Steelers would use a Franchise Tag that will pay Bell more than $4M above the next highest RB. Other than protection with a long term contract, Bell would have all the incentive not to sign a longer term, lower 2017 payout deal. Knock it out of the park this year and get a long term, bigger deal next year (with the Steelers or elsewhere). Or, given 2 knee surgeries, 2 suspensions and a groin, maybe it's best he not bet on himself. No
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 am

Tomlin don't help much by "running the wheels" of of his RBs either... plenty of times this year Bell could and should have been given a rest and it didn't happen...
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:11 pm

@BlackAndGold wrote:

I like that we are going all in to get another title...but there are many other needs as well that need filling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell   

Back to top Go down

Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: