HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Cornerback Ross Cockrell started every game for the Steelers in 2016 and often found himself facing off against the top receivers on other clubs, which likely made it easy for Pittsburgh to decide to tender him as a restricted free agent this offseason.

Choosing the level of tender for Cockrell may have taken a little longer, but the team has reportedly made it’s decision. Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that the Steelers have extended an original-round tender on Cockrell.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/03/report-steelers-tender-rfa-ross-cockrell-at-lowest-level/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm

maybe it's just to see who would be interested and they have other plans?

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 pm

It's letting them see the market value. And they can match any offer.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:52 am

I think this is the right move. He's a starter but not worth big bucks IMO. I don't think his phone is going to be blowin' up.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:06 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
It's letting them see the market value. And they can match any offer.

Agreed. I hope they use the market info to get him on a multi year deal, so there is some stability at the position. He played more snaps than any other Steelers CB last season and performed well.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Cockrell has been a steal for us I hope they work something out with him. He lined up this year against the best WRs in the game and had some really solid shut down play.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 pm

This draft is so deep in DBs....there about 4 Ross Cockrells they can draft
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 pm

"If another team wants to sign restricted free agent Ross Cockrell, it would cost them a fourth-round draft choice to do so, although the Steelers would maintain the right to match the offer and keep him."

With how these corners look at the combine, maybe that's what they are hoping for...
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:41 pm

BKAnthem wrote:

But why not just keep Ross Cockrell instead of trying to draft another when you really need a younger James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons? Steelers even need a Chris Hoke type D line depth guy and a #2WR that can stay off the suspended list.

For years the Steelers looked for younger versions of Ike Taylor and DeShea Townsend, but all they got was Cortez Allen, Shaq Richardson, Curtis Brown, Crezdon Butler, Joe Burnett.

https://twitter.com/pff/status/797441094170644481

Since Week 6, Ross Cockrell has surrendered 0.25 yards per coverage snap, the best mark among CBs.

30 PFF stats: http://pffoc.us/2fjLXo7
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:54 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

But why not just keep Ross Cockrell instead of trying to draft another when you really need a younger James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons?  Steelers even need a Chris Hoke type D line depth guy and a #2WR that can stay off the suspended list.

For years the Steelers looked for younger versions of Ike Taylor and DeShea Townsend, but all they got was Cortez Allen, Shaq Richardson, Curtis Brown, Crezdon Butler, Joe Burnett.  

Since Week 6, Ross Cockrell has surrendered 0.25 yards per coverage snap, the best mark among CBs.

Well if we lose him they might not have a choice... i'm saying the draft is so deep they can probably afford the loss.

Colberts biggest problem was drafting 5-6 rd DB talent in the 2-3rd. This draft he may get some actual value.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:14 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

But why not just keep Ross Cockrell instead of trying to draft another when you really need a younger James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons?  Steelers even need a Chris Hoke type D line depth guy and a #2WR that can stay off the suspended list.

Well if we lose him they might not have a choice... i'm saying the draft is so deep they can probably afford the loss.

Colberts biggest problem was drafting 5-6 rd DB talent in the 2-3rd. This draft he may get some actual value.

True, if they lose him they have to spend a pick on another CB, where they could really use spending it on D-Line depth, WR depth, OLB, ILB, TE. I think Cockrell is a reliable CB in the mould of DeShea Townsend, just taller and faster. If they lose him, then its unfortunate, but the game goes on.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm

If Cockrell was to be signed by another team, don't be shocked if they show interest in Revis as a stop gap...
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
If Cockrell was to be signed by another team, don't be shocked if they show interest in Revis as a stop gap...

they won't...i live in NYC...Revis is on the wrong side of 30 and he's finished a a quality CB
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:58 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

they won't...i live in NYC...Revis is on the wrong side of 30 and he's finished a a quality CB

Still think he could bounce back and be solid. Nobody is saying he'll play on an island like old Revis.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 pm

They should have offered Cockrell the 2nd round option at least the young man earned it.
Back to top Go down
SteelerinDC71
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:53 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Still think he could bounce back and be solid. Nobody is saying he'll play on an island like old Revis.

Even so he would be an upgrade from Cockrell and Gay.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

SteelerinDC71 wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

He'd be an upgrade over Gay. Cockrell? At this point in Revis' career...that's debatable
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:05 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
SteelerinDC71 wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

He'd be an upgrade over Gay.  Cockrell? At this point in Revis' career...that's debatable

I completely agree. Arrow is pointing down for Revis and Gay, but still pointing up for Cockrell. Although, I think PFF ranked Gay as the Steelers best CB last season, but I think its fair to say that isn't the case.

The 2nd round tender for Cockrell is $2.81million and I doubt anybody wants to give up a large contract and a 2nd round pick for him, so while the 4th round tender seems like leaving him out on the market, the 2nd round tender would likely not garner him any attention. I think they see what he gets offered and try to match it so he remains a Steeler.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:10 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
SteelerinDC71 wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

He'd be an upgrade over Gay.  Cockrell? At this point in Revis' career...that's debatable

I completely agree.  Arrow is pointing down for Revis and Gay, but still pointing up for Cockrell.  Although, I think PFF ranked Gay as the Steelers best CB last season, but I think its fair to say that isn't the case.  

The 2nd round tender for Cockrell is $2.81million and I doubt anybody wants to give up a large contract and a 2nd round pick for him, so while the 4th round tender seems like leaving him out on the market, the 2nd round tender would likely not garner him any attention.  I think they see what he gets offered and try to match it so he remains a Steeler.

Let's hope so... if they let him go they need to draft 2 CB's or sign another one in FA. Cockrell is good, not expensive and knows the team, I don't see the point of letting him go. We're already thin at the position: Cockrell, Burns, Gay and Golson with Golson yet to practice after 2 seasons and Gay should be a good substitute, but not a starter anymore.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am

BKAnthem wrote:
SteelerinDC71 wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

More than debatable. Whoever signs Revis will probably move him to safety where he will finish his career. Over priced and over the hill. I'm not Cockrell's biggest fan but I'd take him over Revis all day long.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Yes about the Revis possibility, Steelers have no interest. Thought maybe they'd have somewhat interest as a cheap stop gap if they was to lose Cockrell.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:14 pm

I'll go on record and say, if Cockrell goes, we're in deep trouble in the secondary.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 pm

jak341 wrote:
I'll go on record and say, if Cockrell goes, we're in deep trouble in the secondary.

IDK, if I would say "deep trouble". I think he is a solid young CB that has proved himself last season. No other Steelers CB was on the field for more snaps than Cockrell. He might have had more snaps than any DB on the team and that should backup the fact he played well.

Again, I think he is like DeShea Townsend, only taller and faster. A 4th round pick that has become a solid #2 CB on the team. Never going to be a pro bowl caliber player, but a member of a good defensive secondary.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 pm

No takers for restricted free agent Ross Cockrell

When the Pittsburgh Steelers put an original-round tender on cornerback Ross Cockrell, the thought was he wouldn’t last long. A team would only have to give up a fourth-round pick to get a cornerback who is only 25 years old and has started 23 games over the past two seasons. But so far there’s been no conversation about any teams making an offer on Cockrell.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/12/good-newsbad-news-no-takers-for-restricted-free-agent-ross-cockrell/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 pm

He was such a huge improvement over Antwaan/Valentino Blake that he became overvalued by many Steelers fans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   

Back to top Go down

Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: