HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:02 am

From the article....  

" Artie Burns is poised to be a star in the league, but beyond him, there is very little to get excited about. William Gay has been good for a long time, but there was a dip in his game in 2016. There’s still hope that Senquez Golson could return, but he’s a complete unknown at this point. So having Cockrell back on the roster is a good thing.

But the bad news is if no team is willing to part with a fourth-round pick for a starting cornerback, is he really as good as we think? Pittsburgh played primarily zone coverage in 2016 delving very little into man. That came back to haunt them in the AFC Championship when the New England Patriots** picked them apart.

Pittsburgh will have a decision to make about how to approach their defensive scheme when camp starts. Burns played a ton of man in college, but Cockrell doesn’t really have that skill set. If there are no takers for him, and Pittsburgh cannot sign a veteran to bump him on the depth chart, it is going to be a significant process to get this secondary more scheme versatile. "
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I'll take Cockrell over nobody at this point...we need some type of depth back there.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 am

I find it amusing how the fanbase suddenly forgets how terrible the secondary was 2 seasons ago. Last season with Cockrell starting on the outside improved it so much compared to the season before.

IMO, he is a solid CB and he can play boundary or as a slot corner in nickel. Can always upgrade as he will not be a pro bowl type corner, but there are so many other spots that need upgrading, like pass rusher, WR, ILB, TE. For fun, I hope he gets an offer elsewhere and the whiners can deal with Gay, Burns, Golson and Shabazz along with a rookie.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I find it amusing how the fanbase suddenly forgets how terrible the secondary was 2 seasons ago.  Last season with Cockrell starting on the outside improved it so much compared to the season before.  

IMO, he is a solid CB and he can play boundary or as a slot corner in nickel.  Can always upgrade as he will not be a pro bowl type corner, but there are so many other spots that need upgrading, like pass rusher, WR, ILB, TE.  For fun, I hope he gets an offer elsewhere and the whiners can deal with Gay, Burns, Golson and Shabazz along with a rookie.

I couldn't agree more about Cockrell and about our needs. Although I still think we need a CB to replace Gay as a starter. Could be that he declines even more this season.

For me ideally 1st round pass rusher or ILB, 2nd round vice versa, 3rd round TE and WR or CB, 4th round WR/CB, 5th round RB.

They also need to replace Mitchell as a starter but I can live with him one more year.

In next year's draft I would go all in for a QB and move up if necessary even if it would cost us a lot.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Burns developing into a #1 corner will help Cockrell. So I'd want him back.

But it seems like the Steelers want to use more press coverage on defense. If so, Cockrell is not a good fit. (reason why they probably tendered him at a low level)
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:06 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Burns developing into a #1 corner will help Cockrell. So I'd want him back.

But it seems like the Steelers want to use more press coverage on defense. If so, Cockrell is not a good fit. (reason why they probably tendered him at a low level)

I don't think the Steelers went with a low tender because press vs zone coverage skills. They have the right of refusal, so the Steelers have the last say in regard to letting him walk away. Cockrell will test the market. If there's not a big demand, the Steelers will be able to sign him to a cheaper deal. If he signs a big deal and leaves (ala Timmons), well it's not like they are losing a core player that can't be replaced. This is their strategy for non-core players. Allow the market to set the price and don't outpay the market.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I find it amusing how the fanbase suddenly forgets how terrible the secondary was 2 seasons ago. Last season with Cockrell starting on the outside improved it so much compared to the season before.

Agreed. Some fans only remember the very last thing they think they saw. Brady ripped our secondary so Cockrell must suck. Unfortunately for those fans, there was a lot in the outcome of that game that had nothing to do the Cockrell.

I think RC has the ability to see good improvment in just obtaining experience. I also agree that he most likely won't develop into a Pro Bowl CB. But he has just enough height and athletism that combined with veteran savy, might just turn into a solid corner.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I find it amusing how the fanbase suddenly forgets how terrible the secondary was 2 seasons ago.  Last season with Cockrell starting on the outside improved it so much compared to the season before.  

I hope this isn't in reference to my post stating that I would want him back, rather than nothing. Cockrell was for sure an upgrade from Blake and I thought he handled himself adequately in our backfield last year. So again, I would prefer to have him back than see him walk. But as Kirk already stated, the Steelers are smart and are trying to get the most bang for their buck letting him test his value.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 am

Ross Cockrell is a good starting CB in this league he shut down AJ Green for basically two full games. You want to see our secondary become a shut down secondary then pick OLB in the first and second rounds that can get after the QBs and don't whiff like they did with J Jones.

The whole problem our defense has had has been the lack of pressure/sacks from the outside. Don't get me wrong I love Harrison but the man is 38 years old and his speed has dropped, combine that with the Jones bust (being the major problem, and Dupree's durability and ability to be on the field and it's pretty obvious where the main problem is.

Look back to Harrison in his prime with Woodley on the other side and you damn near had 30 sacks from both of them and our defense was plain nasty the secondary got a ton of cushion because the heat was on opposing QBs to get the ball out stupid fast or eat dirt.

I have said it before and will say it again WHIFFING on Jarvis Jones has caused this team unimaginable harm and may have cost it some chances at rings if you really look at it.

Fix the OLB situation and we have a serious shot at more rings in the next few years.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

Yup I agree. No doubt our first draft pick should be used on a pass rushing LB. Which is why the Steelers even entertained a Hightower visit. They know it and were willing to pay for it in free agency. If they don't get one, which now it doesn't seem we will, number one concern in the draft will be finding one. As everyone knows, a solid pass rush makes your secondary look like a field of Rod Woodson's.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Yup I agree.  No doubt our first draft pick should be used on a pass rushing LB.  Which is why the Steelers even entertained a Hightower visit.  They know it and were willing to pay for it in free agency.  If they don't get one, which now it doesn't seem we will, number one concern in the draft will be finding one.  As everyone knows, a solid pass rush makes your secondary look like a field of Rod Woodson's.

Yep. Draft a pass rushing LB, start the year with Harrison, and slowly transition to the rookie.

As much as I love Harrison, there just aren't a lot of 38 year old LBs in the league for a reason. He isn't going to make a full season playing 40-50 snaps or more a game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level   

Back to top Go down

Steelers tender RFA Ross Cockrell at lowest level
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: