HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Ok, my 2 year ban is over and I am ready to be a kinder, gentler Steeler fan on this board.

So, I am totally fine with the steelers approach to Free Agency. It was a weak crop at our need positions or the players just wanted way too much money.

To me, our #1 need is a #2 WR. Why? The only way we beat the Pats* is to outscore them. We are too far away on defense to think bringing in a corners and OLBs are going to get us over the hump. If you watched the game, we struggled on offense when Bell went out as the Pats* eliminated Brown and no other WR stepped up. We need a sure fire or high draft pick #2 wr and IF Bryant comes back, we are 3 deep. let Hunter, Rodgers, Ayers and Hamilton fight for the last 2 spots.

Letting Timmons go was smart. Why pay millions for a LB who lost a step and was a liability in coverage. You have Vince Williams, although not as big a name, has always been solid when in. he is always in on the tackle and holds his own in coverage. Think Larry Foote. Wont make pro bowls but wont get knocked around all game either.

We need to draft an OLB who can get to the QB. That will immediately improve our improving secondary. Maybe Golson comes back and we will have Artie Burns and Davis starting day 1.

Good move not resigning Jones. we all knew that would happen.

The Steelers never make a big splash in free agency. They are smart with their bargain picks like Farrior , Kimo, DHB, DWilliams, Clark, MItchell, etc etc. And, the free agents that didn't work out didn't cripple them. Miss on a Hightower or a high priced WR or CB and they don't work out in our system that cripples you for years. Just ask the Redskins and Jaguars how overpaying for free agents is working for them.

The big key , I think, to this off season is that second, Third round pick we have. Having 2 third rounders is like gold on draft day. That will enable us to trade up in the first round or second round or we can trade a pick for a proven player who can fill an immediate need. I can see a Bettis like draft day trade for a WR or OLB.

my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am

I don't agree with finding a #2 WR as our top priorty. I believe our young WR corp will continue to grow this coming season and with Bryant coming back, it will only solidify the group. Our top needs are defense and anything other than that in the first 3 rounds would be a wasted pick (IMO).

I do agree letting Timmons and Jones go in FA were good decisions. I was a bit concerned after Timmons left the Steelers would over pay for Jones. But thankfully they didn't.

I would like to see the Steelers either sign Williams as Bell's backup or find a suitable replacement for if/when he goes down during the season.

However, I certainly believe our draft picks need to fill the gaps in our defense right now. Offensively I believe we're strong enough to out score the Patriots***** but we need to find the guys who will play the roles necessary to stop marsha.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

my issue with our WR group is we don't have time to develop them if Ben is talking retirement. I don't think he will this year but what if he isn't out qb in 2018? the window is closing.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm

@steelers5895 wrote:
my issue with our WR group is we don't have time to develop them if Ben is talking retirement.  I don't think he will this year but what if he isn't out qb in 2018?  the window is closing.

The key is having Bryant clean and focused. He is saying the right things now. If Bryant comes back focused, we have our 1,2 and 3 combinations: Brown, Bryant, and Rodgers (who will be even better this year). With Coates, DHB, and Hunter rounding out, that is a solid group of WRs on paper.

If Ben is considering retirement after this season, the window immediately slams shut. Let's face it, you almost need a HOF QB to advance deep into the playoffs and SB on a year to year basis. Look at the list of SB winning QBs over the past 30 years. Majority of them are in, or will be, the HOF. There are a few outliers, of course.

As bad is it sounds, Indy's "Suck for Luck" got them a very good franchise QB in exchange for a really bad season.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:14 am

Kinder gentler? Suppose that's why you send smart ass PMs ragging on the board because it's not active enough for your liking, and promptly make personal insulting remarks about me and my podcasts. Hold a grudge much?

Bye Felicia.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 am

@jak341 wrote:
@steelers5895 wrote:
my issue with our WR group is we don't have time to develop them if Ben is talking retirement.  I don't think he will this year but what if he isn't out qb in 2018?  the window is closing.

The key is having Bryant clean and focused. He is saying the right things now. If Bryant comes back focused, we have our 1,2 and 3 combinations: Brown, Bryant, and Rodgers (who will be even better this year). With Coates, DHB, and Hunter rounding out, that is a solid group of WRs on paper.

If Ben is considering retirement after this season, the window immediately slams shut. Let's face it, you almost need a HOF QB to advance deep into the playoffs and SB on a year to year basis. Look at the list of SB winning QBs over the past 30 years. Majority of them are in, or will be, the HOF. There are a few outliers, of course.

As bad is it sounds, Indy's "Suck for Luck" got them a very good franchise QB in exchange for a really bad season.

I still believe (even in this new era of high flying offense) that defense wins championships. If we can play man coverage and get to him when needed we can beat the Patriots*. Having said that I predict we will draft a QB this year. I think Bryant stays on the field with AB opposite and Rogers in the slot. I think Coates or DHB will be gone. Look for Ayers and Hunter to beat them out.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 am

Health is the #1 thing for any and all football teams.
Not saying that the Steelers would've beaten the Cheatriots last year but it's possible it would have been a 'tad' closer had Coates not had broken hands; yes I said hands lol.

Any way; I think offense CAN win championships in this NEW age NFL but as my first statement read that health is #1.
Having said that IMO 'should' one of the top 5-7 WR fall to the Steelers at #30 I'd lean to taking said player. Reason being is that we as fans can't count on Bryant nor do the Steelers seem to be counting on him. But devils advocate let's just say all the ducks are in a row meaning he's 100% back etc etc.
Picture having Bryant and #30 pick (not sure who it would be but hopefully he's 6'2" at least lol) and then you could then put AB in the slot in 3WR packages which you could almost run exclusively. Add in the hope of Green and Bell...it would look pretty awesome I think.

I know it's all hot garbage but throwing it out there lol
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

@SteelersNorth wrote:
Health is the #1 thing for any and all football teams.
Not saying that the Steelers would've beaten the Cheatriots last year but it's possible it would have been a 'tad' closer had Coates not had broken hands; yes I said hands lol.

Any way; I think offense CAN win championships in this NEW age NFL but as my first statement read that health is #1.
Having said that IMO 'should' one of the top 5-7 WR fall to the Steelers at #30 I'd lean to taking said player. Reason being is that we as fans can't count on Bryant nor do the Steelers seem to be counting on him. But devils advocate let's just say all the ducks are in a row meaning he's 100% back etc etc.
Picture having Bryant and #30 pick (not sure who it would be but hopefully he's 6'2" at least lol) and then you could then put AB in the slot in 3WR packages which you could almost run exclusively. Add in the hope of Green and Bell...it would look pretty awesome I think.

I know it's all hot garbage but throwing it out there lol

You want to put AB in the slot? Burfict would love that! Rogers is the slot. If Heyward was on the field against N.E. I think it would have been a closer game. I just said that because you didn't mention him in regard to health. You can have all the firepower you want on offense but if you play zone against Brady...well we all know what happens there. I do agree health is key on both sides. Look how much better our O-line played with Pouncey healthy all year.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Honestly the way to beat the Pats*** is to play them in Pittsburgh. They have our number lately, but the only times we've played them well in the last decade have been at home. Every time we play them at NE it's a slaughter going back as far as I remember. Either that or the offense has to learn how to take the show on the road. It almost seems like they score all their points at home and are pretty mediocre when playing away.

For that we'd need to be consistent in the regular season, but we're always good for 2-3 head scratching losses. It's good enough to get into the playoffs, but we need that #1 or #2 seed
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:33 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
Honestly the way to beat the Pats**** is to play them in Pittsburgh. They have our number lately, but the only times we've played them well in the last decade have been at home. Every time we play them at NE it's a slaughter going back as far as I remember. Either that or the offense has to learn how to take the show on the road. It almost seems like they score all their points at home and are pretty mediocre when playing away.

For that we'd need to be consistent in the regular season, but we're always good for 2-3 head scratching losses. It's good enough to get into the playoffs, but we need that #1 or #2 seed

You're right we need to kick the door in. I still think with a healthy team on both sides we can go up there and beat those assholes. I'd love to see a team so focused that we get home field and demolish anyone in our way. That means we win all the games we're supposed to. Which is every damn one,right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency   

Back to top Go down

I'm back and Ready to Talk Steelers Free Agency
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: