HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Welcome T.J.
Back to top Go down
steelcrazy

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 am

I like it...was kinda hoping for Foster out of Alabama but no argument from me on this pick...living in Big10 country I've gotten to see him play several times...think he'll fit in nicely with our LBs...and if he's 1/2 as good as his brother well....look out welcome to Pittsburgh T.J.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 am

i really do believe the steelers got the best player left on the board. i knew as soon as mckinley and njoku came off the board it was gonna be watt. dude needs to spend some time with harrison in the weight room and he'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 am

@steelcrazy wrote:
I like it...was kinda hoping for Foster out of Alabama but no argument from me on this pick...living in Big10 country I've gotten to see him play several times...think he'll fit in nicely with our LBs...and if he's 1/2 as good as his brother well....look out   welcome to Pittsburgh T.J.

Yeah, at the time I thought Foster was the best defender on the board and would be awesome next to Shazier. I guess they either thought his shoulder issues were enough, or felt they needed more at OLB than the BPA. Watt is a high motor guy, that can drop in coverage and should play the run strong. My guess is that he eventually ends up on the OLB spot over the RT in 2 years and Dupree ends up on the other side. Mayock says he reminds of Clay Matthews, but I don't think he is that quick.

Wondering if Jake Butt is on the board in the 2nd round still, as TE is still a need IMO. Also like Gerald Everett from South Alabama.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:30 am

Absolutely love this pick. High motor player, from good bloodlines. Played on a squad that prides itself on old school Big 10 defense. Couldn't be happier with this pick.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:54 am

"He’s a better player than I was at the same point in our careers. The guy’s only played the position for 18 months or whatever it is. And for him to have the innate abilities that he has, a nose for the ball and the way that he can rush the passer with no true experience or a ton of time being coached at it … he just picked it up."

-J.J. Watt

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:16 am

I said in another thread either him or McKinley so I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 am

I think the Steelers drafted him as a TE.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:39 am

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:20 am

@solardave wrote:

Yeah I was thinking Takk McKinley too, but after watching him act like a doofus swearing on national television when talking about his dead grandmother... Yeah I'm glad we picked TJ because he seems like he has a little more character to go with the talent.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

Yeah I was thinking Takk McKinley too, but after watching him act like a doofus swearing on national television when talking about his dead grandmother... Yeah I'm glad we picked TJ because he seems like he has a little more character to go with the talent.

I didn't see that but I would rather have T.J. Knowing his brother and how he carries himself I think we made the right choice.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@steelcrazy wrote:
I like it...was kinda hoping for Foster out of Alabama but no argument from me on this pick...living in Big10 country I've gotten to see him play several times...think he'll fit in nicely with our LBs...and if he's 1/2 as good as his brother well....look out   welcome to Pittsburgh T.J.

Yeah, at the time I thought Foster was the best defender on the board and would be awesome next to Shazier.  I guess they either thought his shoulder issues were enough, or felt they needed more at OLB than the BPA.  Watt is a high motor guy, that can drop in coverage and should play the run strong.  My guess is that he eventually ends up on the OLB spot over the RT in 2 years and Dupree ends up on the other side.  Mayock says he reminds of Clay Matthews, but I don't think he is that quick.

Wondering if Jake Butt is on the board in the 2nd round still, as TE is still a need IMO.  Also like Gerald Everett from South Alabama.  

I agree that Foster was the best athlete on the board when the Steelers picked at 30. But the guy seems like a basket case. He was thrown out of the combine for a heated argument with one of the medical staff, he had a diluted drug test at the combine (don't know if those two events were related) that counts as a failed test and puts him in the protocol ... then he's recovering from shoulder surgery that seems to be taking longer than expected. The shoulder issue is understandable. Those things can happen. But his attitude and diluted sample put him in the D-bag category.

I almost expected the Steelers to go CB in the 1st, then hope to have Rivers or Lawson available in the 2nd. But there are several talented CBs available in the draft and only a limited number of edge rushers. Given how everything fell, they got the right guy.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 am

You beat me to it Kirk. The Steelers often value character above talent and TJ has plenty of that. I'm excited to see his growth because at this point, we've only seen a taste of what he can do on D.

Welcome to the Burgh TJ!

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

T.J. Watt isn’t his brother, and that’s just fine for the Steelers

T.J. Watt was always going to be playing in his brother’s shadow at Wisconsin. And because his brother is three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt, it was a pretty big shadow.

But the younger Watt carved his own path with the Badgers, developing from bench-riding tight end into All-American linebacker. On Thursday, he added another accomplishment — first-round NFL draft pick.

Full story: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/27/15153706/tj-watt-steelers-nfl-draft-2017

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:05 am

Good value pick....good character.....intelligent......relentless motor.....hard worker.....what's not to like about this kid. Only weakness at this point in time is his strength and inexperience as an OLB.

Loved how he said he can't wait to receive "tutelage" from Harrison. He'll get stronger.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@steelcrazy wrote:

Yeah, at the time I thought Foster was the best defender on the board and would be awesome next to Shazier.  I guess they either thought his shoulder issues were enough, or felt they needed more at OLB than the BPA.  Watt is a high motor guy, that can drop in coverage and should play the run strong.  My guess is that he eventually ends up on the OLB spot over the RT in 2 years and Dupree ends up on the other side.  Mayock says he reminds of Clay Matthews, but I don't think he is that quick.

Wondering if Jake Butt is on the board in the 2nd round still, as TE is still a need IMO.  Also like Gerald Everett from South Alabama.  

I agree that Foster was the best athlete on the board when the Steelers picked at 30. But the guy seems like a basket case. He was thrown out of the combine for a heated argument with one of the medical staff, he had a diluted drug test at the combine (don't know if those two events were related) that counts as a failed test and puts him in the protocol ... then he's recovering from shoulder surgery that seems to be taking longer than expected. The shoulder issue is understandable. Those things can happen. But his attitude and diluted sample put him in the D-bag category.

I almost expected the Steelers to go CB in the 1st, then hope to have Rivers or Lawson available in the 2nd. But there are several talented CBs available in the draft and only a limited number of edge rushers. Given how everything fell, they got the right guy.

Yes, all true, but guys like Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Dan Marino all slid in the draft due to pre draft issues. Time will tell if Foster turns out to be a guy with a tough childhood like Randy Moss, or a headcase like Pacman Jones.

Watt is a character kid, the hustle and motor shows on tape. He doesn't seem to have elite quickness, but th37" vertical shows some explosiveness and his use of his hands on film is already better than Jarvis Jones hands as a 3rd year pro.

I rewatched Watt's NFL Combine workout last night and his movement and change of direction, drop into coverage looks like that of a 230 LB ILB. His 4.70 40 time is OK, but he doesn't look like a fluid long strider, so running a 40 didn't look pretty. I like that he put up 21 reps on the bench press, but he looks a bit thin in the legs and we have to remember he is a junior and will get stronger.

I'm excited for the future, but don't think Watt will be a big impact guy this year until maybe later in the season. The prospects of him in 2 seasons from now being a reliable defender on the edge, with Dupree on the other and Chickillo for some depth at least feels like some good young talent at the position.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 am

It's exciting that we're seeing the making of a new defensive team. As fans, we still miss old stalwarts like Ike, Troy, Casey, Aaron Smith, Farrior,  Clark, and others but we're seeing a new generation of guys come in with Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Dupree, Shazier, and now Watt. And then there's James Harrison who I think is a great teacher for these young linebackers.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@steelcrazy wrote:

Yes, all true, but guys like Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Dan Marino all slid in the draft due to pre draft issues.  Time will tell if Foster turns out to be a guy with a tough childhood like Randy Moss, or a headcase like Pacman Jones.

Watt is a character kid, the hustle and motor shows on tape.  He doesn't seem to have elite quickness, but th37" vertical shows some explosiveness and his use of his hands on film is already better than Jarvis Jones hands as a 3rd year pro.

I rewatched Watt's NFL Combine workout last night and his movement and change of direction, drop into coverage looks like that of a 230 LB ILB.  His 4.70 40 time is OK, but he doesn't look like a fluid long strider, so running a 40 didn't look pretty.  I like that he put up 21 reps on the bench press, but he looks a bit thin in the legs and we have to remember he is a junior and will get stronger.

I'm excited for the future, but don't think Watt will be a big impact guy this year until maybe later in the season.  The prospects of him in 2 seasons from now being a reliable defender on the edge, with Dupree on the other and Chickillo for some depth at least feels like  some good young talent at the position.

Thanks for the analysis, I always like to see your take on this forum.

Personally I am really excited about this pick. I like Watt on the field and hearing him talk he comes across with great work ethic. He'll certainly have some great NFL guidance between his brother and Harrison. I'm hoping for a good CB today and maybe a RB. Go Steelers
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

I see it as the safest pick for the Steelers, good ballplayer with a good head on his shoulders.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 pm

There are so many guys in the draft with character issues.
Seems to increase year after year.
It surely happened many years ago, but with no smartphones, internet, 24 hours news outlets to broadcast it quickly, most character issues probably went unreported or more likely it was explained as, "he likes to drink and chase women."
Still, even if there was equivalent coverage, the numbers would be well below what they are today.

Solid move taking Watt.

Back to top Go down
Vis

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:

It surely happened many years ago, but with no smartphones, internet, 24 hours news outlets to broadcast it quickly, most character issues probably went unreported or more likely it was explained as, "he likes to drink and chase women."
Still, even if there was equivalent coverage, the numbers would be well below what they are today.

Solid move taking Watt.

I'm not sure about that. Back in the day, character issues didn't get you suspended. Or they weren't considered character issues. How many players in the 60s do you think smoked pot? Most? But there was no testing and no one thought it was a character flaw.

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 pm

@Vis wrote:
@FrancoLambert wrote:

Solid move taking Watt.

I'm not sure about that.  Back in the day, character issues didn't get you suspended.  Or they weren't considered character issues.  How many players in the 60s do you think smoked pot?  Most?  But there was no testing and no one thought it was a character flaw.  

No.

70's - Yes

I'm talking more about character issues involving violence.

Seems like it comes up more often when the talking heads analyze prospective picks.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 am

@FrancoLambert wrote:
@Vis wrote:
@FrancoLambert wrote:

Solid move taking Watt.

I'm not sure about that.  Back in the day, character issues didn't get you suspended.  Or they weren't considered character issues.  How many players in the 60s do you think smoked pot?  Most?  But there was no testing and no one thought it was a character flaw.  

No.

70's - Yes

I'm talking more about character issues involving violence.

Seems like it comes up more often when the talking heads analyze prospective picks.

in the 60s most football players had off season jobs because the NFL pay wasn't great in the 70s most could play in the NFL as a full time job (Chuck Noll's lifes work) but you couldn't retire as an NFL player.

In the 60s it was more about being naturally strong and talented work out and party with the people to get you to the next level.

In the 70s things started to change most NFL players didn't need a off season jobs but they couldn't retire with what they made playing in the NFL.

It started when I'll let you decide

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 am

Social media hasn't helped these kids any either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt   

Back to top Go down

Round 1, pick 30: Steelers select T.J. Watt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: