HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Thu May 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
How many really successful dual threat QB's have there been? Not that many

Tarkenton
Cunningham
Steve Young
Mike Vick? (for a little while anyway)

the QB's listed above were great passers as well as adept at running with the ball. With faster defenders in the pros its not as easy to be a dual threat QB. If Dobbs improves on his passing, maybe he has a shot to do well.

Cam Newton, Donovan McNabb & Russell Wilson can be added to that list. But yeah they seem to be more of a rarity than a norm.

Not gonna say Prescott yet, because a lot of those rushing QB's are one season wonders. Let's see if he can put up similar numbers when teams get some film on him and adjust.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

Tarkenton
Cunningham
Steve Young

the QB's listed above were great passers as well as adept at running with the ball. With faster defenders in the pros its not as easy to be a dual threat QB. If Dobbs improves on his passing, maybe he has a shot to do well.

Cam Newton, Donovan McNabb & Russell Wilson can be added to that list. But yeah they seem to be more of a rarity than a norm.

Not gonna say Prescott yet, because a lot of those rushing QB's are one season wonders. Let's see if he can put up similar numbers when teams get some film on him and adjust.

You referenced a #1 pick, a 2nd overall pick and the #75 pick who was the most impressive QB at the Senior Bowl.

Dobbs was the 3rd most impressive QB at the Senior Bowl behind Davis Webb and nate Peterman. The kid will take 2 seasons before he is considered as a possible backup QB, IMO.

Personally I wish they had drafted Jake Butt, George Kittle, Jordan Leggett or Desmond King in the 4th round, but Dobbs it is.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Fri May 05, 2017 12:54 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

Tarkenton
Cunningham
Steve Young

You referenced a #1 pick, a 2nd overall pick and the #75 pick who was the most impressive QB at the Senior Bowl.  

Dobbs was the 3rd most impressive QB at the Senior Bowl behind Davis Webb and nate Peterman.  The kid will take 2 seasons before he is considered as a possible backup QB, IMO.  

Personally I wish they had drafted Jake Butt, George Kittle, Jordan Leggett or Desmond King in the 4th round, but Dobbs it is.

I agree with you Gonzo. TE or another DB would have been better IMO. I don't know how the Steelers can be comfortable with Green at TE with his concussion history. And i don't see James near the Heath Miller or even Brueners level yet. I was hoping the Steelers would hold off on a QB until next year. Jones is good enough as a backup for now. He's our best bet to fill in for a couple games if need be. Dobbs may be ok as well for a game or two but you need to be able to pass well in the pros to have any sustained success. I sort of have doubts Dobbs will develop into a prolific or proficient passer in the NFL.

As far as FA's post, yeah, i probably forgot Russell as another successful dual threat. But he's not as good of a runner as the others. He's a very good passer though. And after his super bowl meltdown and this last season i don't put Cam on the successful list yet. Was McNabb that much of a dual threat?
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Fri May 05, 2017 11:27 am

Steeler-in-west wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

Tarkenton
Cunningham
Steve Young

Dobbs was the 3rd most impressive QB at the Senior Bowl behind Davis Webb and nate Peterman.  The kid will take 2 seasons before he is considered as a possible backup QB, IMO.  

I agree with you Gonzo. TE or another DB would have been better IMO. I don't know how the Steelers can be comfortable with Green at TE with his concussion history. And i don't see James near the Heath Miller or even Brueners level yet. I was hoping the Steelers would hold off on a QB until next year. Jones is good enough as a backup for now. He's our best bet to fill in for a couple games if need be. Dobbs may be ok as well for a game or two but you need to be able to pass well in the pros to have any sustained success. I sort of have doubts Dobbs will develop into a prolific or proficient passer in the NFL.

As far as FA's post, yeah, i probably forgot Russell as another successful dual threat. But he's not as good of a runner as the others. He's a very good passer though. And after his super bowl meltdown and this last season i don't put Cam on the successful list yet. Was McNabb that much of a dual threat?
well lets compare  second seasons....

heath miller - 16 starts ...39 rec...393 yds...11.5 yds/avg... 87 yds longest...5 td's
jessie james - 13 starts...34 rec...338 yds ....8.7 yds/avg.....24 yds longest...3 td's

looks to me like james is on heath's level at least at this point in his career. nearly 1/4 of heath's yards total came from 1 catch... plus james lost playing time to greene
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Fri May 05, 2017 1:24 pm

^thanks for the stats. Maybe your right about James. Maybe he is on the right trajectory. Hope so.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:

I guess McNabb could be a grey area. Looking at his stats, in his first 5 seasons, he was good for around 400 yards rushing per season, but that fell off big time from years 6 and beyond, then he became more of a pocket passer. Most mobile QB's though have to evolve if they want any kind of longevity in the NFL.

I would still consider Newton to be a successful QB, but yeah he's going to be tested soon, going into his 7th season. I'm not sure he can be as effective once his speed / durability starts taking a hit, I don't know if he has the capability to be the same threat as a pocket passer. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

And yeah I think Wilson is definitely one of those guys who can get it done with his arm alone, he's solid. But he did have a season where he rushed for 850 yards, that's crazy for a QB. Though I think a lot of his rushing yards are due less to athletic talent, and more because of his accuracy (Doesnt seem as athletically gifted as Newton or McNabb). You can't really send an extra LB / safety to spy him or you'll get burned by deep passes.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Sat May 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Sat May 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

Tarkenton
Cunningham
Steve Young

well lets compare  second seasons....

heath miller - 16 starts ...39 rec...393 yds...11.5 yds/avg... 87 yds longest...5 td's
jessie james - 13 starts...34 rec...338 yds ....8.7 yds/avg.....24 yds longest...3 td's

looks to me like james is on heath's level at least at this point in his career. nearly 1/4 of heath's yards total came from 1 catch... plus james lost playing time to greene

Heath was an unheralded blocker.IMO the best at it during his time in the NFL. James is coming around but has a way to go. I believe that is why we saw the extra lineman so much this year. We rarely saw that when Heath was playing.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 am

i believe he's improving. loved what he did on this play.

Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 pm

If JJ (no, not Jarvis Jones ) progresses this year as much as he progressed last year, we'll be fine at TE.

A healthy Green would be a heck of a bonus at the position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs   

Back to top Go down

Round 4, pick 135: Steelers select Josh Dobbs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: