HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers release Ladarius Green

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm

@steelers
We have released TE Ladarius Green, and signed RB Terrell Watson.

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/865280974959128577

Wow
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm

He was released due to a failed physical.

Per Bouchette, "the Steelers did not investigate Green's concussion history enough before they signed him"
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Jessie James, you are now the man.
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Good
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

they could always move Watt to TE ...

i'm rooting for the fordham under dog Phazahn Odom
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

I'm with ya

at 6' 8" 250 lbs. get him in the weight room but 25 - 30 pounds on now that is a big TE.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm

@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

at 6' 8" 250 lbs. get him in the weight room but 25 - 30 pounds on now that is a big TE.
i don't know ...dude is already running a sad 4.8 at 250...add another 25 or 30 lbs and he might drop to running casey hampton speed.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 am

@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

i don't know ...dude is already running a sad 4.8 at 250...add another 25 or 30 lbs and he might drop to running casey hampton speed.

Don't have to be the fastest to be a great TE. I believe Heath Miller ran a 4.87 40 time. I feel like the great TEs know how to run their routes crisply, and know where to sit down in the defense to get open.

My question now is, do the Steelers consider talking to Gary Barnidge to fill the void left by Ledarius Green? We have a little cap space, don't see how it could hurt, durability hasn't been an issue for Barnidge in his career, and he was good playing with atrocious QBs in Cleveland, I don't think it would hurt to see what he could do with the weapons we have here in Pittsburgh.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

Don't have to be the fastest to be a great TE. I believe Heath Miller ran a 4.87 40 time. I feel like the great TEs know how to run their routes crisply, and know where to sit down in the defense to get open.

My question now is, do the Steelers consider talking to Gary Barnidge to fill the void left by Ledarius Green? We have a little cap space, don't see how it could hurt, durability hasn't been an issue for Barnidge in his career, and he was good playing with atrocious QBs in Cleveland, I don't think it would hurt to see what he could do with the weapons we have here in Pittsburgh.

Are you telling me there isn't a TE free agent from Iowa we could sign?

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 am

@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

was thinking about big ol 275 lbs. Levon Kirkland type playing TE on running plays a light OT who can move, seal the edge, and trap plays.

i think he could but on 25 lbs. for strength and still keep his speed.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

When the Browns released Barnidge, I thought that he would make sense, but what is the cap consequence of Green's contract? I still think he is worth trying to sign and am still hoping that Xavier Grimble takes a step further this season.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am

MOVE HIM HELL! OLD SCHOOL,PLAY HIM ON BOTH SIDES.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

According to PFT, the move clears $2.6million in salary cap. That is enough to sign somebody like Barnidge.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 pm

well shit
Back to top Go down
TollingtheBell26

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Barnidge please
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 pm

If you're looking for a Barnidge-Steelers connection ...

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 1:05 pm

If JJ continues to improve like he did from season 1 to season 2, we'll be fine at the TE position.
Depth at that position is another issue.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

@FrancoLambert wrote:
If JJ continues to improve like he did from season 1 to season 2, we'll be fine at the TE position.

James ranked #33 in receiving yards last season. He ranked 24th in receptions.

Looks below mediocre to me. I always said the kid is a #2 TE and that is great, but the Steelers still need a #1 TE at some point and Ben isn't getting any younger. I'm not ready to accept that the TE play is bottom 1/3 in the league and that is good enough.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Sat May 20, 2017 2:51 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I'm with ya

Are you telling me there isn't a TE free agent from Iowa we could sign?  

Haha as much as I love Brandon Myers, he's not Gary Barnidge.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Ju Ju Smith Schuster imo is a upgrade from Ladarius Green.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@FrancoLambert wrote:

James ranked #33 in receiving yards last season.  He ranked 24th in receptions.

Looks below mediocre to me.  I always said the kid is a #2 TE and that is great, but the Steelers still need a #1 TE at some point and Ben isn't getting any younger.  I'm not ready to accept that the TE play is bottom 1/3 in the league and that is good enough.

For me, his value won't be reflected in number of receptions or yards.  Not on an offense stacked at WR (presuming all good things) and also having a player that's one of the best receiving running backs.

I want him to show consistent solid hands, better blocking, and the ability to find a seem in a zone when it's 3rd and 9 and the defense is focusing on AB, LeVeon et all.

He's too low on the pecking order to get a lot of balls thrown to him.

I agree that we need to get more productive at the TE position.  The team's decision not to draft one and the loss of Green hurts us at that position going forward. Like you, I agree that at this point in time we are putting a #2 TE in a #1 TE spot, but as I said with all of our weapons intact it might be good enough next year.
I do think signing Barnidge would give us some depth with experience.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 am

They should have drafted Butt, Kittle or Everett instead of a #3 QB. I still don't understand why they didn't.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Mon May 22, 2017 7:38 am

We'll just have to see if they use the cap money on someone like Barnidge. I'm thinking we'll be OK with J.J. and Grimble. If our WRs stay healthy that's where Ben is going to throw anyway. I thought J.J. improved in blocking situations last year and hopefully he takes that to the next level. There is the drops too. He'll have to clean that up. He's never going to be Heath but with all the talent at wideout I don't believe he has to be.
Back to top Go down
Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 am

I may be in the minority of Steelers fans here, but leave Barnidge alone, we have a TE here with similar qualities...Jesse James. James is younger, cheaper and blocks better. I'm hopeful Grimble will improve and D.J. can play multiple spots (TE Hback).
As far as Everett, Kittle or Butt. They would have been nice additions, however Everett was drated pick 12 rd 2 so we would have had to draft him in RD 1..not worth that pick, Butt and Kittle both drafted ahead of us in RD 5, so my question is who dont you draft in RD 3 or 4 to pick those guys. Moving up was always a possibility but trading is a 2 way street and someone would have to want to trade down. I like the UDFA we signed, Orndoff and Odom. I particularly like Orndoff. Having watched a number of Pitt games last season as well as Michigan games I can say Orndoff is close to what Butt is. Factor in the reconstruction of Butt's knee and we'll see.
I think the Steelers will be fine with the TE depth.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 am

@Rick5895 wrote:
I may be in the minority of Steelers fans here, but leave Barnidge alone, we have a TE here with similar qualities...Jesse James. James is younger, cheaper and blocks better.  I'm hopeful Grimble will improve  and D.J. can play multiple spots (TE Hback).
As far as Everett, Kittle or Butt.  They would have been nice additions, however Everett was drated pick 12 rd 2 so we would have had to draft him in RD 1..not worth that pick, Butt and Kittle both drafted ahead of us in RD 5, so my question is who dont you draft in RD 3 or 4 to pick those guys. Moving up was always a possibility but trading is a 2 way street and someone would have to want to trade down.  I like the UDFA we signed, Orndoff and Odom. I particularly like Orndoff.  Having watched a number of Pitt games last season as well as Michigan games I can say Orndoff is close to what  Butt is.  Factor in the reconstruction of Butt's knee and we'll see.  
I think the Steelers will be fine with the TE depth.  

Simple, should have drafted a TE in the 4th instead of Josh Dobbs. Jake Butt would have been a 2nd round pick before the injury, if he checked out medically, then he was a much better selection than Dobbs. Even Kittle would have worked as a 4th round pick.

TE was needed instead of a 3rd string QB that has questionable accuracy and slight build as his drawbacks, but intelligence and athleticism as his positives. Kevin Hogan will be released by the Browns later this season and I think he would be a solid addition as the #3 QB instead of adding a young talented TE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Ladarius Green   

Back to top Go down

Steelers release Ladarius Green
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: