HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:12 am

The Steelers defense needed an adjustment, and coach Mike Tomlin and coordinator Keith Butler knew it before the end of last season.

But after rebuilding with three rookies, it was too late to change, and Tom Brady and the New England Patriots* made the Steelers pay for playing too much zone defense in a 36-17 loss in the AFC championship game.

“We knew at the end of last year we needed to develop more than just spot drop (into coverage) and play zone,” Butler said Wednesday after the first of two practices on the second day of minicamp. “We knew that going into the end of the season, but, hey, we felt like that was the best opportunity that we had to try to get to the Super Bowl.

“We did what we felt like we had to do against (the Patriots*) with where our defense was at at the time.”

After an offseason of retrospection, the Steelers are planning to mix up their defense with more man-to-man coverage — the kind former cornerback Ike Taylor loved to play on the way to three Super Bowls — with the hope the pass rush will be good enough to allow it.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12405502-74/steelers-defense-plans-to-man-up-more-in-2017

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 am

Judging by this years (and last years) picks it sure looks like we're loading up for this. Not to mention signing Alaula as a backup. IMO in order to play man coverage it helps to be able to apply pressure up front. Burns admittedly prefers man coverage. I think Sutton is a logical replacement for Gay and he can play man. My question is can Cockrell play man?
I know we can mix it up and Butler probably will but if we see N.E. in the playoffs again we better be able to bump these rec's coming off the line and stay attached while the front 4 ( by then I think it will be Heyward-Tuitt-Dupree-Watt) get to Brady and put the fear in him.
I also think if we stay healthy on the other side we can out score them.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 am

solardave wrote:
Judging by this years (and last years) picks it sure looks like we're loading up for this. Not to mention signing Alaula as a backup. IMO in order to play man coverage it helps to be able to apply pressure up front. Burns admittedly prefers man coverage. I think Sutton is a logical replacement for Gay and he can play man. My question is can Cockrell play man?
I know we can mix it up and Butler probably will but if we see N.E. in the playoffs again we better be able to bump these rec's coming off the line and stay attached while the front 4 ( by then I think it will be Heyward-Tuitt-Dupree-Watt) get to Brady and put the fear in him.
I also think if we stay healthy on the other side we can out score them.

Cockrell stated last year that he likes to play man coverage. Some of his draft profiles suggest he can play man or zone and I think he has shown the skills to do so.

I think a lot of fans think man coverage is the magic answer, but it isn't IMO. As you stated, it helps to have pressure on the QB and disguise coverages. Having the ability to play zone, man or cover 2 with man to man underneath makes the opposing offense have to think and gameplan more and I think that is important.......but pressure on the QB in passing situations really needs to be key.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:31 pm

If the Steelers do not pressure Brady for 60 minutes to the point where he is uncomfortable everytime he drops back, the Steelers can put velcro on their men and it still wont do anything. Brady needs to eat grass everytime he drops back.

That's how the Giants beat him twice in the Super Bowl, how the Broncos beat him with Von Miller.

Only player that can beat Brady one on one was Peyton Manning. Big Ben doesn't do well going toe to toe with the elite QB in a game.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:52 am

I concur we definitely need to be able to be more diverse in our coverages, but to do that we need to be able to pressure the QB with consistency. We've seen an improvement in our pass rush over the past couple of seasons. This season I'm hoping our young draft pick TJ Watt can be a big boost to our pass rush, and I think guys like Tuitt, and Heyward coming back off of an injury are going to be hungry this year. If we want to beat Brady we can't let him play an entire game without a grass stain on his jersey. His teammates should be picking him up with clods of dirt stuck in his helmet.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017   

Back to top Go down

Steelers defense plans to man up more in 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: