HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 am

@Rick5895 wrote:
I marvel at Bell, he's leaving money on the table by turning down the Steelers offer, he won't miss any games because of hold out, my guess is he comes back to camp somewhat like Berry did with KC.  He's a running back who can catch out of the backfield, great player..yes, But he needs to get his head out of his ass, until he can stay healthy and prove he's not going to be suspended again no serious contender is going tie that much money up in him.
Wallace did this and we gave Antonio the money, and look what Mikey has done in the league....nadda.  Leveon says NO, then look after Tuitt, Villenueva and Shazier.
I think Bell needs a quick history lesson when playing hardball, prior to free agency they let Franco and Webster leave and let Woodson go as well.  As much as I like Bell he's not at those guys level.
Franchise him this year and next, run him into the ground get a super bowl than let him go elsewhere.

Exactly. Bell is fantastic, there is no doubt.

Ask yourself this as well: would Bell being 100% last year against the Pats* made a difference? I say no. Now, if you had Bryant and a slot receiver there who was more proven, would that have made a difference? I say yes.

With the weapons at WR and a solid OL, a good RB will put up great numbers for us. We don't need the best in the league. We just need a good RB to succeed.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
As far as being the #2 receiver we all know why that happened. Don't get me wrong he's good out of the backfield but barring injury to A.B., Bryant, Rogers or Shuster I'm pretty sure he falls in around #3 at best if he makes it through the season.

I say as good as he is there is a level of health problems and stupid moves. To soon to ask for top money on a team that can still win it all without you. The train to #7 is ready to roll. They'll give you 12.1 mil to get on.

Bryant is going make the big difference this season he's the WR who can take the top off of opposing defenses.

I hope so. But I find it interesting that in a thread where many reference Bell as not being able to play a full season yet in his career, that we pin the hopes on Bryant.

I hope I am wrong, but personally I put the over/under on game 10 as the point where Bryant either becomes a major distraction, or gets suspended again.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
As far as being the #2 receiver we all know why that happened. Don't get me wrong he's good out of the backfield but barring injury to A.B., Bryant, Rogers or Shuster I'm pretty sure he falls in around #3 at best if he makes it through the season.

I say as good as he is there is a level of health problems and stupid moves. To soon to ask for top money on a team that can still win it all without you. The train to #7 is ready to roll. They'll give you 12.1 mil to get on.

Bryant is going make the big difference this season he's the WR who can take the top off of opposing defenses.

I hope so.  But I find it interesting that in a thread where many reference Bell as not being able to play a full season yet in his career, that we pin the hopes on Bryant.

I hope I am wrong, but personally I put the over/under on game 10 as the point where Bryant either becomes a major distraction, or gets suspended again.

I also hope you're wrong about Bryant even though I think your prediction could very well come true. Maybe even sooner than game #10. That is why I really like what Shuster can bring to the table. I think he can play wide or slot and Rogers says he is healthy for the first time so being drafted.
For the record I hope Bell plays all the way through the season and is our SB MVP. After that we probably wouldn't be able to afford him.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

@solardave wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

I hope so.  But I find it interesting that in a thread where many reference Bell as not being able to play a full season yet in his career, that we pin the hopes on Bryant.

I also hope you're wrong about Bryant even though I think your prediction could very well come true. Maybe even sooner than game #10. That is why I really like what Shuster can bring to the table. I think he can play wide or slot and Rogers says he is healthy for the first time so being drafted.
For the record I hope Bell plays all the way through the season and is our SB MVP. After that we probably wouldn't be able to afford him.

I like Shuster a lot too. As for Bell, he kind of needs to get off the stance of trying to re-establish the RB market financially IMO. Its like trying to not take less money for a typewriter at a garage sale, as compared to a 486 PC. Today's NFL has been using RB by committee, or getting guys less touches per game at the position. Bell is arguably one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL, but they just are not valued as much as they used to be.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Like Shuster as he is the jack of all trades it seems. But Bell would cost the team some money. But still holdout or not, he could still have a great year.

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:33 am

@JPPT1974 wrote:
Like Shuster as he is the jack of all trades it seems. But Bell would cost the team some money. But still holdout or not, he could still have a great year.

Here's what worries me about him skipping camp. There is conditioning and there is "football" condition. History shows guys coming in not in football condition are prone to injury. I think the odds of him not making it through the season because of injury go up if he skips camp.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm

@solardave wrote:
@JPPT1974 wrote:

Here's what worries me about him skipping camp. There is conditioning and there is "football" condition. History shows guys coming in not in football condition are prone to injury. I think the odds of him not making it through the season because of injury go up if he skips camp.

Bell will be fine. He is probably in great condition and most veterans don't really enjoy the grind of camp and the preseason games. He will show up with 2 weeks left in camp and play one preseason game, then be ready for opening day. The last think he wants is to get injured in one of the meaningless preseason games. He would rather play in the 19 regular season and playoff games instead of the 4 preseason IMO.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Le’Veon Bell doesn’t report to Steelers camp

Posted by Josh Alper on July 27, 2017

Steelers players reported to training camp on Thursday, but running back Le’Veon Bell wasn’t among them.

That comes as no surprise as Bell has not signed his $12.1 million franchise tender and players in that position tend to stay away from the early part of camp at the very least. The deadline to sign a longer deal passed on July 17, leaving that deal on the table through the start of the season unless the Steelers offer him more money or a promise not to use the franchise tag to make reporting more worth Bell’s while.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown has been lobbying Bell to report to work recently and continued that effort on Thursday.

“When trying to do something special, we would like all our guys here,” Brown said, via ESPN.com.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/leveon-bell-doesnt-report-to-steelers-camp/

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:09 am

Mike Tomlin says there are “consequences” for Le’Veon Bell’s absence

Unlike players who are under contract, the Steelers can’t fine running back Le’Veon Bell $40,000 a day.

But coach Mike Tomlin suggested there’s still some price to pay.

Via Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers coach used the words “consequences” when talking about his star running back’s contract-related absence.

“There is no question we are a group that values the team-building process,” Tomlin said. “And doing it in this setting, so yes, there is value, and yes, there are consequences for not being here. That’s the reality of it.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/mike-tomlin-says-there-are-consequences-for-leveon-bells-absence/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm glad Bell didn't show Conner will get much need work with the offense, his illness? talent wise he's a NFL quality RB.

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:46 am

You know I really don't get why he's not just singing the franchise tag. It's my understanding the the deadline passed for him to get a new contract anyways because the Steelers put he franchise tag on him. So what the hell is the point of holding out? You might as well show up to camp with your teammates, the guys that battle in the trenches with you all season and get focused on the game.

I think it says a lot that Brown, and others have been trying so hard to coax him to come to camp. How often do you see teammates go out of their way to do that?

Bell is turning out to be more of a diva than anyone else on this team. Brown might be a clown, and he might pull some stunts here and there but he's one of the hardest workers on the team. Bell works hard, but he's also very egocentric, and is more worried about a huge payday than winning a Championship, or so it seems to me.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
You know I really don't get why he's not just singing the franchise tag. It's my understanding the the deadline passed for him to get a new contract anyways because the Steelers put he franchise tag on him. So what the hell is the point of holding out? You might as well show up to camp with your teammates, the guys that battle in the trenches with you all season and get focused on the game.

I think it says a lot that Brown, and others have been trying so hard to coax him to come to camp. How often do you see teammates go out of their way to do that?

Bell is turning out to be more of a diva than anyone else on this team. Brown might be a clown, and he might pull some stunts here and there but he's one of the hardest workers on the team. Bell works hard, but he's also very egocentric, and is more worried about a huge payday than winning a Championship, or so it seems to me.

If he signs the tag, then he has to goto camp or be fined. This way he takes the first 3 weeks of camp off, then signs it and reports without being fined. He makes his statement and saves some of the dog days of camp that he has been thru before. He will be there, but probably not for 2 more weeks.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:24 am

@solardave wrote:
I'm just wondering if the FO has some behavior clauses in there and Bell's corner is not kosher with them. I mean he's one step away from taking a Bryant vacation. I can think of 12.1 million reasons to sign the franchise tag if they don't get it done and like Ron Cook said: if he plays 16+ games he can ask for top dollar next year.

This is something I read on almost every forum/website. Truth is that Bell is actually just one step away from... a 4 game suspension.
Unlike players like Bryant and Josh Gordon who both got into the program after testing positive during an announced period where players can be tested, Bell got into it after a DUI. He got a 3 game suspension that got reduced to 2 games. In the 2016 postseason he then "missed" a test and he got his 4 game suspension. Bell appealed and he probably got a good excuse for missing the test or the inspector made some mistake because he got another reduction, to 3 games this time.
Most important outcome of his "succesful" appeal is that because of not serving a 4 game suspension, he stayed in the same protocol of the program which means that his next violation would turn into a 4 game suspension (followed by a 10 game ban an then the Bryant vacation )

Not that a possible 4 game suspension is something to look forward to, but unlike Bryant and Gordon, Bell was already rather unlucky to get into the program in the first place. And I like Bell's chances for not getting caught again more than Bryant's.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 am

Good read on the Bell situation and potential outcomes for this year and the future:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/why-2017-is-le-veon-bell-last-season-steelers.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:55 am

And now Colbert gets in on it:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-gm-calls-out-leveon-bell-over-holdout/ar-AApMXSx?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote :
“My feeling is there’s nothing to be gained by a holdout. The situation won’t change, it can’t really change from our part on a long-term deal. So it hurts him not to be here,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It hurts him because he’s not working with his teammates, he’s not getting the conditioning work that he’s going to need to have a great 2017 season. And he’s not working with his teammates to get acclimated to the offense — every year it’s different.”

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm

If anyone missed it...

Falcons RB, Dovonta Freeman just became the highest paid RB in the league making an annual $8.25mil over the life of the deal.

Bell would have been making $4 million more than Freeman had he accepted the Steelers offer.

Just insane that he turned it down.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

@BlackAndGold wrote:
If anyone missed it...

Falcons RB, Dovonta Freeman just became the highest paid RB in the league making an annual $8.25mil over the life of the deal.

Bell would have been making $4 million more than Freeman had he accepted the Steelers offer.

Just insane that he turned it down.

Yes, insane. TBH I think Bell is a very good RB, but not worth more than what the Steelers offered. Hell, a Deangelo Williams in the twilight years of his career was able to produce at near the same level. The o-line is a huge reason why Bell is having as much success as he is. TBH if he's not backing down, we're probably best off cutting ties and drafting a RB next year in rd 1 or 2.

Everyone credits his patience, but don't you think the o-line is a big part of why he can just dance around for 2-3 seconds picking his hole? On other teams, Bell wouldn't be able to do the same thing.

Two more things: 1) He's one stupid decision away from a 4 game suspension, and 2 more stupid decisions away from being suspended for a year. 2) He's never shown the durability to stay healthy in the postseason. So he's never played a full season due to either injuries or suspensions, proving that he's not very reliable. And when we needed him the most (in the postseason), he's never been healthy for long. Because of these factors, I'm not even sure he deserves as much money as Freeman.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Le'Veon Bell reportedly won't join Steelers until after third preseason game

A source tells ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler that it would be a surprise if Bell isn't back with the Steelers shortly after the team's Week 3 preseason game against the Colts next Saturday.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-wont-join-steelers-until-after-third-preseason-game/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
Le'Veon Bell reportedly won't join Steelers until after third preseason game

A source tells ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler that it would be a surprise if Bell isn't back with the Steelers shortly after the team's Week 3 preseason game against the Colts next Saturday.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-wont-join-steelers-until-after-third-preseason-game/

If anybody saw Odell Beckham almost break his leg in todays game, they wouldn't want Bell back until it counts anyways.

If Bell signs the tender, then comes back for a preseason game and his season is ended, then he has no future earnings if the injury is serious. I don't blame the kid for wanting a long term deal and waiting out these scrub games.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 am

This is mostly speculation as far as guarantees but man. What does he want? He reportedly turned this deal down.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/18/report-rb-leveon-bell-rejects-a-steelers-offer-in-excess-of-12m-per-year/
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 am

IF Bell has a great season, one which includes a run deep in to the playoffs, and potentially another Super Bowl for the Steelers, then his pay day will be slightly larger than what he left on the table.

However, IF Bell has an average season, or falls off, or has a career ending injury, then there's no pay day to be had.

That's a huge risk vs. reward moment for both him and the team.

If it's option A, then the Steelers will have to pay him or lose him. If it's option B, then the Steelers are off the hook and Bell would have lost a significant amount of guaranteed money.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:36 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
IF Bell has a great season, one which includes a run deep in to the playoffs, and potentially another Super Bowl for the Steelers, then his pay day will be slightly larger than what he left on the table.

However, IF Bell has an average season, or falls off, or has a career ending injury, then there's no pay day to be had.

That's a huge risk vs. reward moment for both him and the team.

If it's option A, then the Steelers will have to pay him or lose him.  If it's option B, then the Steelers are off the hook and Bell would have lost a significant amount of guaranteed money.

Yeah. What he said!!!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 am

the first 2 years on Bell's contract was for 30 million dollars franchising for 2 years 26 million dollars win Steelers. enough time for a replacement a lot of good second round RBs in the draft.

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm assuming he wanted more than the first year guaranteed. That's the only way this makes any kind of sense. Meaning he's worried about another injury, which makes me wonder if he's going to really go all out on the field or sit out any minor bump or bruise he gets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal   

Back to top Go down

Le’Veon Bell, Steelers reportedly motivated to agree on long-term deal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: