HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 am

The drafting of Sutton and Allen, the signing of Sensabaugh on a 2 year $2.6mil deal and the return of Golson add a lot of competition to this years roster. The Steelers kept 5CB's last season with Sean Davis starting the year as a possible slot CB and 6 in 2015. My guess is Davis will be projected as a safety only and that the Steelers look to keep 6 CB's this year on the roster, with the expectation that Gay is in his final year and they still don't seem committed to Cockrell long term. Here is who I think make the top 6 :

-Burns and Cockrell will start again at CB.
-Gay is the consummate pro and will start the season at slot...but Sensabaugh having a good camp could possibly end Gay's time as a Steeler. (I personally don't think the Steelers will risk too much change and Gay will make the team)
-Sutton had a good showing in OTA and what I saw on film and at the Senior Bowl tells me that he supplants Gay at slot CB by Week 10
-Sensabaugh was signed for veteran insurance and carries pretty much the same cap value as Golson this year. The Steelers can cut Sensabaugh without much impact, but I think he makes the 53
-IMO, the final 2 spots will be between Sensabaugh, Allen and Golson and I think it could be any combination, but since I already have Sensabaugh making the team, I think the Steelers like the size of Allen over that of Golson and wont want to risk losing him on the practice squad.

I personally hope Golson can recover from his injury and make the team, but I don't think that happens unless the Steelers either put Allen on the Practice Squad or cut Sensabaugh, which either could happen.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Everything you say makes sense. I do think Golson is the odd man out. To many ??? with him. Can he stay healthy? Can he be a ST ace? Even that doesn't guarantee him a roster spot. Compared to just 2 years ago we are in a pretty good situation as far as CB. I also think Sutton will replace Gay before week 10.

I hope I don't jinx us by saying that.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I can see Allen making the team by making plays on ST. Allen's size and speed makes him so intriguing, I know us fans say this every year, but he won't make it that long on the practice squad if he shows any potential ability. Either as a starter on the outside, or simply a player who can run/defend with these big athletic tight ends (ex: Bill Belichick traded for Eric Rowe(similar player) last year to do that exact job and helped them win games)

And yes I agree with your list. Imo, they'll keep 6 CB's and 4 safeties.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm

One of the real hopes I have is that Golson shows no ill effects of the Lisfranc injury. He displayed really good ball skills in college and if the secondary starts to be comprised of guys that have a knack for interceptions, like Burns, Golson, Allen and guys that challenge passes and tackle like Sutton and Cockrell, then more game changing turnovers should happen.

Like I said, Gay is probably not here in 2018 and Sensabaugh is strictly a sub package corner with some experience and 2 career INT's. Neither of those guys has upside any longer, but hopefully Golson does and shows it in Latrobe.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Don't forget about Mike Hilton, another small slot CB from Ole Miss. He did well in the early OTA/mini camp workouts. He's not the ball hawking player Golson was in college but he played hard and wasn't scared to come up in run support and hit.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm

like Brian Allen's size length speed still very raw still learning being a DB. he's my underdog DB.

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:18 am

@effyou515 wrote:
like Brian Allen's size length speed still very raw still learning being a DB. he's my underdog DB.
Being a former WR, he has better hands than the average DB, IMO. He had 4 INT's at Utah last season, which was tied for 5th most in the PAC12. He has a good shot at being the 6th CB, or else practice squad material if he doesn't have a great camp.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Being a former WR, he has better hands than the average DB, IMO.  He had 4 INT's at Utah last season, which was tied for 5th most in the PAC12.  He has a good shot at being the 6th CB, or else practice squad material if he doesn't have a great camp.

forgot to write in better hands, I think he will be hard to stash on the practice squad.

Steelers are out for DBs with good hands which I like if the pass rush can get going this defense will be a turnover machine.

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

1) Artie Burns
2) Ross Cockrell
3) William Gay
4) Coty Sensabaugh
5) Cameron Sutton
6) Mike Hilton

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I don't know why Golson is even in the conversation anymore...it's not like he was lighting it up even when he was healthy...there are better more reliable options on the roster now...Fare thee well Senquez..we never should have drafted ye
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:45 pm

i believe golson is still eligible for the practice squad.

Quote :
On Thursday Bob Labriola from Steelers.com gave a list of everyone that is eligible on his weekly chat. The following players are all practice squad eligible:

Joshua Dobbs, Bart Houston, Canaan Severin, Demarcus Ayers, Marcus Tucker, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, Senquez Golson, Brian Allen, Malik Golden, James Conner, JaCorey Shepherd, Trey Williams, Brandon Dixon, Brandon Brown-Dukes, Greg Ducre, Terrell Watson, Mike Hilton, Farrington Huguenin, Jacob Hagen, Kameron Canaday, Matt Galambos, Colin Holba, Keith Kelsey, Kyle Friend, Francis Kallon, Lucas Crowley, Ethan Cooper, Christian Brown, Jerald Hawkins, Lavon Hooks, Jake Rodgers, Brian Mihalik, Roy Philon, Keavon Milton, Jake McGee, Phazahn Odom, T.J. Watt, Johnny Maxey, and Keion Adams.
Quote :

The players who have at least two years of accrued services but are still eligible are listed on the exempt list. Those players are as follows:

Martavis Bryant(suspended year does not count as an accured year), Eli Rogers, Artie Burns, Fitz Toussaint, Jordan Dangerfield, Tyler Matakevich, Bud Dupree, L.J. Fort, Anthony Chickillo, B.J. Finney, Al Villanueva, Jesse James, Cobi Hamilton, Xavier Grimble, L.T. Walton, and Sammie Coates.

Only four of those players could be signed to the Steelers practice squad.

https://www.steelernation.com/practice-squad-eligibility-explained/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i believe golson is still eligible for the practice squad.

I think you are right. good talent but his body won't let him show it.

Quote :
On Thursday Bob Labriola from Steelers.com gave a list of everyone that is eligible on his weekly chat. The following players are all practice squad eligible:

Joshua Dobbs, Bart Houston, Canaan Severin, Demarcus Ayers, Marcus Tucker, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, Senquez Golson, Brian Allen, Malik Golden, James Conner, JaCorey Shepherd, Trey Williams, Brandon Dixon, Brandon Brown-Dukes, Greg Ducre, Terrell Watson, Mike Hilton, Farrington Huguenin, Jacob Hagen, Kameron Canaday, Matt Galambos, Colin Holba, Keith Kelsey, Kyle Friend, Francis Kallon, Lucas Crowley, Ethan Cooper, Christian Brown, Jerald Hawkins, Lavon Hooks, Jake Rodgers, Brian Mihalik, Roy Philon, Keavon Milton, Jake McGee, Phazahn Odom, T.J. Watt, Johnny Maxey, and Keion Adams.
Quote :

The players who have at least two years of accrued services but are still eligible are listed on the exempt list. Those players are as follows:

Martavis Bryant(suspended year does not count as an accured year), Eli Rogers, Artie Burns, Fitz Toussaint, Jordan Dangerfield, Tyler Matakevich, Bud Dupree, L.J. Fort, Anthony Chickillo, B.J. Finney, Al Villanueva, Jesse James, Cobi Hamilton, Xavier Grimble, L.T. Walton, and Sammie Coates.

Only four of those players could be signed to the Steelers practice squad.

https://www.steelernation.com/practice-squad-eligibility-explained/

PostSubject: Re: What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?   

Back to top Go down

What Steeler CB's will make the 53 man roster?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: