HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Ben Roethlisberger will tie Terry Bradshaw for the longest tenure as a Steelers quarterback when he embarks on his 14th season.

The question now becomes, will it be his last?

Roethlisberger, 35, told the Post-Gazette Friday that retirement remains an option for him after this season, and that his wife, Ashley, would like to see him give up football.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/07/28/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors-steelers-training-camp-2017-latrobe/stories/201707280132?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1501257723
--------------------------------------------------

Over the past 4 or 5 years, many of us have asked, "Is this the year the Steelers should draft Ben's future replacement?" Every year, the draft ended without them doing it.

And now I fear they may have waited too long.

Since drafting franchise quarterbacks is far from an exact science, I've always believed that it's better to start the process too early rather than too late, even if it means you have to let go of a legend who still has a little more gas in the tank ... such as Montana, Favre, and Manning.

If Ben does retire after this season, instead of possibly having the next Young, Rogers, or Luck waiting in the wings, they'll likely overreach for the next Mark Malone. I've seen this movie before, and the ending is terrible.

Of course, there's another possibility ... at the risk of bringing Gonzo's wrath down upon me ... Dobbs could end up being the next Prescott.  

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm

I read I think Steeler depot if Ben retires after this season the Steelers might give a sales pitch to Curt Cousins next offseason because Landary and Dobbs are not ready. Thinking will be with all the offensive weapons, offensive line the Steelers have he's best chance to be a Superbowl winning QB with the Steelers then with other teams. He might take less money and more friendly Steelers contract and give the Steelers a couple more years for Dobbs to develop or draft a franchise QB.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 am

I almost wonder if Ben is just playing games like Favre did, or maybe it's some kind of way to motivate his teammates that little extra bit to win a championship in the next season or two.

Either way, just seems to me like Ben being Ben, always got something dramatic going on.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:

Of course, there's another possibility ... at the risk of bringing Gonzo's wrath down upon me ... Dobbs could end up being the next Prescott.  

Wally, if he is the next Prescott then great, but Prescott impressed most NFL scouts at the Senior Bowl and showed his upside in a pro style offense. I think other than Carson Wentz that week, Prescott was the QB of interest. Dobbs however was probably 3rd on the depth chart this year at the Senior Bowl. He was kind of the equivalent of Jacoby Brisett at the 2016 Senior bowl.

I think the retiring of some NFL players due to CTE concerns, like John Urschel this week, definitely makes the retiring of Ben a possibility in 2018. Either way, father time is coming on strong and the Steelers will need somebody in the near future. Expect a 1st rounder this year and I don't mind the Kurt Cousins talk (I LIKE THAT!), but think he will want too much $$ that the Steelers will not pay, IMO.

If 2017 is Ben's last year, then expect a blue chip rookie, a big LeVeon Bell payday and Landry Jones, or some other veteran to bridge the gap, while the Steelers try to win with Defense, a run game and a scaled down passing game like Alex Smith has in KC.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:07 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

Wally, if he is the next Prescott then great, but Prescott impressed most NFL scouts at the Senior Bowl and showed his upside in a pro style offense.  I think other than Carson Wentz that week, Prescott was the QB of interest.  Dobbs however was probably 3rd on the depth chart this year at the Senior Bowl.  He was kind of the equivalent of Jacoby Brisett at the 2016 Senior bowl.

I think the retiring of some NFL players due to CTE concerns, like John Urschel this week, definitely makes the retiring of Ben a possibility in 2018.  Either way, father time is coming on strong and the Steelers will need somebody in the near future.  Expect a 1st rounder this year and I don't mind the Kurt Cousins talk (I LIKE THAT!), but think he will want too much $$ that the Steelers will not pay, IMO.

If 2017 is Ben's last year, then expect a blue chip rookie, a big LeVeon Bell payday and Landry Jones, or some other veteran to bridge the gap, while the( Steelers try to win with Defense, a run game and a scaled down passing game ) like Alex Smith has in KC.

Bill Cowher football maybe the Steelers could get Kordell Stewart out of retirement.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 am

The + with Dobbs is his intelligence. Can he learn and play in a pro style offense sooner rather than later. Or at all. I think he can and look forward to seeing him in the preseason.
Can he be our future franchise QB? That would be great.
I agree Cousins will be to expensive but would be better than Jones as our starter.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

Wally, if he is the next Prescott then great, but Prescott impressed most NFL scouts at the Senior Bowl and showed his upside in a pro style offense.  I think other than Carson Wentz that week, Prescott was the QB of interest.  Dobbs however was probably 3rd on the depth chart this year at the Senior Bowl.  He was kind of the equivalent of Jacoby Brisett at the 2016 Senior bowl.

I think the retiring of some NFL players due to CTE concerns, like John Urschel this week, definitely makes the retiring of Ben a possibility in 2018.  Either way, father time is coming on strong and the Steelers will need somebody in the near future.  Expect a 1st rounder this year and I don't mind the Kurt Cousins talk (I LIKE THAT!), but think he will want too much $$ that the Steelers will not pay, IMO.

If 2017 is Ben's last year, then expect a blue chip rookie, a big LeVeon Bell payday and Landry Jones, or some other veteran to bridge the gap, while the( Steelers try to win with Defense, a run game and a scaled down passing game ) like Alex Smith has in KC.

Bill Cowher football maybe the Steelers could get Kordell Stewart out of retirement.

Easier to maybe get Peyton Manning, since that is how the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.(Defense, Run game and mediocre QB play).
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:52 pm

@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

Easier to maybe get Peyton Manning, since that is how the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.(Defense, Run game and mediocre QB play).  

Kaepernick is still looking for a job.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:05 am

@effyou515 wrote:
[

Kaepernick is still looking for a job.    

He couldn't pass gas, never mind passing a football. Honestly, Bob Griffin 3 is a better passer and that isn't saying a lot. Have to have somebody who is at least a "game manager" like a McCown brother to have a shot winning with defense and a top tier RB.

My guess again is that the Steelers 1st round pick this year will be a QB and Ben plays in 2018 unless he takes a lot of shots this year.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 am

As long as he is under center, the team is his. But think it would be nice to go out like Peyton Manning with a SB ring on top.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 am

@JPPT1974 wrote:
As long as he is under center, the team is his. But think it would be nice to go out like Peyton Manning with a SB ring on top.

Ben is going to drama this out to the end of his contract. and the Steelers front office is on board, kinda keeping the Steelers in the news.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 am

maybe Kaepernick can teach Dobbs to be the weak link on a Superbowl talented type team.

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017   

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: