HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Le'Veon Bell says he'd consider sitting out '18 if tagged

By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com
Published: Jan. 11, 2018

Days away from the Pittsburgh Steelers starting their playoff run, Le'Veon Bell says he doesn't want to play under the franchise tag again.

Bell told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler before practice Thursday he "would definitely consider" sitting out the 2018 season if the Steelers tagged him for the second straight season. He said his message to the Steelers is simple: "value me."

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905446/article/leveon-bell-says-hed-consider-sitting-out-18-if-tagged

_________________
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 503
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Talking about it right now 26? Another distraction right now in the playoffs 26? What the fuck 26... what the fuck...

I say the Steelers pick up another RB in the draft and roll with Conner, Ridley, and let Bell test that free agent market. The OLine is one BIG reason Bell has done so well. Yes he is talented and worth being the highest paid RB in the league but threatening to sit out a season or retire right at this point in time while they are preparing for the Jags is just plain stupidity.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 2842
Likes : 1176
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeah no need to even be commenting on it right now. Bell still needs to grow up. Honestly he wants too much money in my opinion. Running backs are too short lived to be paid as highly as WRs who often last a lot longer in the league. I like Bell, and he is dynamic but we could replace him with younger talent.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1888
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Yep. I'm right there with you. Bell hinted in his "rap" video earlier this year he wants 18 million a year. No F'ing way.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 11191
Likes : 760
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 am

IMO, Bell has proven his role in the Steelers' success is vital. He's still young and productive. I'd hold his value at about $15M/year. Yes, I'd gladly see him get paid that to remain a Steeler. However, I believe he also has to understand if he gets too greedy, then by all means hit the road. No one player transcends the organization and the goal of winning another SB.

I did see his twitter response yesterday where he said he's focused on winning in the playoffs this year and he'll worry about next year afterwards.


_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 11191
Likes : 760
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am


_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 707
Likes : 142
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am

Sometimes it seems like our players just like distractions so they get pumped up after the negative comments they get about it
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 11191
Likes : 760
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

This isn't all on Bell, didn't he get asked the question? Yes, he could've ignored it and just not play up to it, but then he gets punked out for not talking to the media.

Personally, the media should keep their questions to the upcoming game against the Jagoffs from Jagsonville.


_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3097
Likes : 535
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Fort Worth Texas

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am

Call his bluff franchise tag him for 2018 don't even offer a contract just tag him.

_________________
Pigs rule, Dogs enforce, Sheep abide.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
Call his bluff franchise tag him for 2018 don't even offer a contract just tag him.    

the Steelers will franchise tag Bell again and offer him a very fair reasonable contract just like they did this past season, it's up to Le'Veon what he wants to do after that. if it means he will sit out the season, the Steelers have proven in the past they won't give in to players making unreasonable demands.

_________________
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2996
Likes : 542
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
Call his bluff franchise tag him for 2018 don't even offer a contract just tag him.    

the Steelers will franchise tag Bell again and offer him a very fair reasonable contract just like they did this past season, it's up to Le'Veon what he wants to do after that. if it means he will sit out the season, the Steelers have proven in the past they won't give in to players making unreasonable demands.

I think they will offer him something like last year unless we win the SB and he is key to us winning. Then I think the offer will be higher but I don't see the FO office selling the farm to sign him.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Jaguars vs. Steelers: AFC Divisional Round Preview

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 12, 2018

Le'Veon Bell, Steelers RB: Bell's 5.5 yards per carry in the postseason rank fourth-highest in NFL history. Pittsburgh's ultra-productive workhorse hasn't posted fewer than 80 yards from scrimmage since the regular-season opener, but Bell has been held under 100 yards rushing all but once since Week 7. At the same time, he beat out Alvin Kamara (81) and Christian McCaffrey (80) with a league-leading and franchise-record 85 catches this season. Bell is a special talent, but his yards per carry have tumbled from 4.6 over his first six games to 3.2 over his last eight. During that span his total scrimmage yards have fallen from 122.0 over his first six outings to 86.0 ever since.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905124/article/jaguars-vs-steelers-afc-divisional-round-preview

_________________
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 1.15.18

RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Moose: Bell is great, but I am about fed up with his antics. Who brings up next year's contract situation 2 days before a playoff game? No focus on this team.

Ray Fittipaldo: All I know is the Patriots* change running backs every year and continue to win. Bell is a great player, but his sideshow is tiresome. He's as guilt as Mitchell with the looking ahead and talking about it. He ought to look back to 2015 and check the success the Steelers had without him. He's not irreplaceable. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Look at the Saints. When did they get Alvin Kamara? Third round?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-1-15-18/stories/201801150092

_________________
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1888
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

I would not sign Bell to what he wants. Let him walk and plug some of the other holes with the savings. Draft a RB.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 503
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 pm

@jak341 wrote:
I would not sign Bell to what he wants. Let him walk and plug some of the other holes with the savings. Draft a RB.

With our O-line we will make Conner and Ridley look good. Let him go. He forgets the team stuck with him over his pot smoking issues, his hold outs from camp, and his complaining. Hyde from SF is going to be a FA offer him a good deal and let Bell go. You send a message to the players that the organization isn’t going break the bank over one player that think to highly of himself.

I love the way Bell runs and he is a great RB but with a salary cap the organization just simply cannot break the bank for a running back. The O-line really makes him all that much better as well.
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1888
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
@jak341 wrote:
I would not sign Bell to what he wants. Let him walk and plug some of the other holes with the savings. Draft a RB.

With our O-line we will make Conner and Ridley look good. Let him go. He forgets the team stuck with him over his pot smoking issues, his hold outs from camp, and his complaining. Hyde from SF is going to be a FA offer him a good deal and let Bell go. You send a message to the players that the organization isn’t going break the bank over one player that think to highly of himself.

I love the way Bell runs and he is a great RB but with a salary cap the organization just simply cannot break the bank for a running back. The O-line really makes him all that much better as well.

I'm not sold on Conner being anything more than a change of pace back. Ridley looked good for a 3rd string RB. I still think we need a solid RB, should Bell go.

Even outside of the transgressions that are non-football related, I would not pay him what he is asking for. Also, Bell has had 2 knee surgeries in his relatively short career. That can't be good for a RB.

Look at Baltimore and the Flacco contract. That contract is crippling the team, given Flacco's performance, and not allowing them to get what they need. Same could happen with Bell.

We have a top 5 QB, and arguably the top WR in football. Do we really need the top RB as well, or will a top 10 RB due?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 707
Likes : 142
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 am

I would let Bell walk and try to get Dion Lewis. He's a FA and the Patriots* don't pay their RB's. He has the same skill set as Bell and had a great second half of the season, I think we can get him for 8 or 9M a year.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 am

Rapoport: Steelers won't talk long-term contract with Bell until franchise tag is signed

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000908476/Rapoport-Steelers-won-t-talk-long-term-contract-with-Bell-until-franchise-tag-is-signed

_________________
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 503
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Rapoport: Steelers won't talk long-term contract with Bell until franchise tag is signed

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000908476/Rapoport-Steelers-won-t-talk-long-term-contract-with-Bell-until-franchise-tag-is-signed

Franchise tagging him is a mistake big time. It will create a major contention point with the team and Bell moving forward. He wants paid just way way too much money for a RB. It doesn’t make good business sense with the cap. Bell will bring in a major attitude if he feels he doesn’t get the contract he thinks he is worth that has been proven from him turning down the contract last year. Why on earth would you want to bring that cancer back in to the locker room right out of the gate?

You franchise tag him here is what can happen...

1. He refuses to sign and decides to sit out a year “retired” BOOM INSTANT MAJOR DISTRACTION FOR THE TEAM ALL THROUGH OTAs and Training camp and throughout the actual year...

2.He signs the franchise but doesn’t show up to camp again and doesn’t like any offer the Steelers offer long term... BOOM DISGRUNTLED RUNNING BACK who has shown he puts himself way way above the team... missed meeting missed practices... walkthroughs etc.... you won’t get 100% from him... all next year distraction...

3. He signs the FT and signs a long term contract with the Steelers but it’s not exactly at his “price” he has mentioned 15 to 18 million a year in various tweets... if you think this organization should pay that for a RB with drama problems and a ton of baggage you are fucking nuts. You pay more then 12 million a year for him (which btw I think is way too much for a RB) you will put the organization in a CAP bind for years to come... anyone remember the Woodley  contract and how that fucked us up for years?

This organization needs to move on from him there is no real “GOOD” quality ending to this situation he has shown his attitude and temperament and if you really look at it there is no good outcome for the organization if they keep him.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 83
Likes : 30
Join date : 2015-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Rapoport: Steelers won't talk long-term contract with Bell until franchise tag is signed

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000908476/Rapoport-Steelers-won-t-talk-long-term-contract-with-Bell-until-franchise-tag-is-signed

Franchise tagging him is a mistake big time. It will create a major contention point with the team and Bell moving forward. He wants paid just way way too much money for a RB. It doesn’t make good business sense with the cap. Bell will bring in a major attitude if he feels he doesn’t get the contract he thinks he is worth that has been proven from him turning down the contract last year. Why on earth would you want to bring that cancer back in to the locker room right out of the gate?

You franchise tag him here is what can happen...

1. He refuses to sign and decides to sit out a year “retired” BOOM INSTANT MAJOR DISTRACTION FOR THE TEAM ALL THROUGH OTAs and Training camp and throughout the actual year...

2.He signs the franchise but doesn’t show up to camp again and doesn’t like any offer the Steelers offer long term... BOOM DISGRUNTLED RUNNING BACK who has shown he puts himself way way above the team... missed meeting missed practices... walkthroughs etc.... you won’t get 100% from him... all next year distraction...

3. He signs the FT and signs a long term contract with the Steelers but it’s not exactly at his “price” he has mentioned 15 to 18 million a year in various tweets... if you think this organization should pay that for a RB with drama problems and a ton of baggage you are fucking nuts. You pay more then 12 million a year for him (which btw I think is way too much for a RB) you will put the organization in a CAP bind for years to come... anyone remember the Woodley  contract and how that fucked us up for years?

This organization needs to move on from him there is no real “GOOD” quality ending to this situation he has shown his attitude and temperament and if you really look at it there is no good outcome for the organization if they keep him.

They just can't let him walk.

1.  Him sitting out the year and not being around the team is probably the least distracting thing he can do.

2.  He did that this year, we went 13-3.  If he misses meetings/practices he doesn't dress, suspended, not around the team but he isn't playing for someone else.

3.  This probably won't happen.  
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

avatar

Posts : 158
Likes : 28
Join date : 2015-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Really think that he is not a team player at all. Great RB and can catch. But a team player not so much.

_________________
July Fireworks!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

avatar

Posts : 2422
Likes : 1133
Join date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Paul Zeise: The Steelers should franchise tag Le'Veon Bell Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

PAUL ZEISE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JAN 23, 2018

Le’Veon Bell’s contract is the most important decision the Steelers have to make this offseason. Bell is important but that doesn’t necessarily mean the best course of action is to sign him to a long-term deal. In fact, of the three options available, a long-term deal with a lot of guaranteed money makes the least amount of sense. Bell is going to be 27 next February, and most studies suggest that’s when running backs peak and begin to decline.

The Steelers should use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Bell. That way, they’d either have him for one more year or get two first-round picks if he leaves in free agency.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/01/23/leveon-bell-franchise-tag-contract-negotiation-holdout/stories/201801230117

_________________
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17344
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Paul Zeise: The Steelers should franchise tag Le'Veon Bell Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
 
PAUL ZEISE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JAN 23, 2018

Le’Veon Bell’s contract is the most important decision the Steelers have to make this offseason. Bell is important but that doesn’t necessarily mean the best course of action is to sign him to a long-term deal. In fact, of the three options available, a long-term deal with a lot of guaranteed money makes the least amount of sense. Bell is going to be 27 next February, and most studies suggest that’s when running backs peak and begin to decline.

The Steelers should use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Bell. That way, they’d either have him for one more year or get two first-round picks if he leaves in free agency.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/01/23/leveon-bell-franchise-tag-contract-negotiation-holdout/stories/201801230117

I've seen a number of people suggesting the Steelers should use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Bell. I think this makes the most sense. I doubt any team would give up 2 first round picks for him, but if some team is willing, good ... we win either way. Worse case scenario is we end up losing him this year or next and get zero in return.

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersNorth



Posts : 567
Likes : 112
Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I say let him walk. Running backs are a dime a dozen.
The only position on the team you can’t replace is QB as it currently stands.
As much as people don’t want to believe it they could live without AB too. Yes he’s fantastic I won’t argue that but he’s only as good as he is because of 7.
Case in point the Steelers BEAT the cheatriots WITHOUT AB for 3/4s of that game (I say beat because that was a TD)
The next week they torched the Texans 36-6 WITHOUT AB.
Again don’t get we wrong he makes the team better as it stands but if he was injured or outright cut or something they’d survive and still win 10+ games.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17344
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Bell says he, Steelers closer in contract talks

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have offered Le'Veon Bell a contract extension, Bell told The Athletic at the Pro Bowl.

Bell played the 2017 on a $12.12 million franchise tag, which is a fully guaranteed one-year contract, after he and the team failed to come to terms on a multi-year deal last offseason.

But he and the Steelers are closer to an extension this year than they were last year, according to The Athletic.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2018/01/steelers_leveon_bell_contract_2.html

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   

Back to top Go down
 
Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season
Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: