HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
Bell says he, Steelers closer in contract talks

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have offered Le'Veon Bell a contract extension, Bell told The Athletic at the Pro Bowl.

Bell played the 2017 on a $12.12 million franchise tag, which is a fully guaranteed one-year contract, after he and the team failed to come to terms on a multi-year deal last offseason.

But he and the Steelers are closer to an extension this year than they were last year, according to The Athletic.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2018/01/steelers_leveon_bell_contract_2.html

In the last couple of years we've seen the FO brake tradition signing free agents. I think Bell will be locked up before the draft. Bob Labriola said what you said Wally, that they made him an offer and they are closer than last year. I think with him,Connor and Ridley we will be stacked. Bad news for Tous but he'll make another team.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Bell saying that he had excused absence for personal reasons at the walk through before divisional game. I had been kind of down on him resigning after that but hope they do get him resigned. It would be good to keep his talent and the offense intact, not worry so much about RB early in draft, and go defense heavy.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm

I just hope they don’t do a stupid contract and break the bank. They usually are pretty savvy but sometimes a Woodley contract comes up and fucks them for years...
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 pm

From Gerry Dulac's chat Wednesday:

Doug in Raleigh: Gerry, do you have any sense of what the team will do with Bell, franchise him again, or let him walk and use the money elsewhere (I'm assuming Bell will turn down a long term as not sufficient)? Seems like no matter what they do it will be the wrong thing.

Gerry Dulac: I wouldn't sign him, and I think they are starting to lean in that direction. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't franchise him, given his suspensions, camp holdout (which will happen again) and social-media nonsense. In fact, I'd be in favor of it. I'd put the exclusive tag on him and if someone offered two No. 1 picks, I'd get the party room ready.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Bell and the Steelers set a Feb. 20th dead line on contract talks.

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:

Doug in Raleigh: Gerry, do you have any sense of what the team will do with Bell, franchise him again, or let him walk and use the money elsewhere (I'm assuming Bell will turn down a long term as not sufficient)? Seems like no matter what they do it will be the wrong thing.

Gerry Dulac: I wouldn't sign him, and I think they are starting to lean in that direction. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't franchise him, given his suspensions, camp holdout (which will happen again) and social-media nonsense. In fact, I'd be in favor of it. I'd put the exclusive tag on him and if someone offered two No. 1 picks, I'd get the party room ready.
2 #1 picks ? not a chance in hell. i'd be happy with a 1ST and a 3rd or 2 2nd round picks. this draft class is deep in rb talent.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:

2 #1 picks ? not a chance in hell. i'd be happy with a 1ST and a 3rd or 2 2nd round picks. this draft class is deep in rb talent.

Bell has a good chance being a Steeler for a long time,,, a hit in the middle on the contract. both sides want the money up front.

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Le'Veon Bell changes his Instagram handle and Steeler Nation freaks out

When Le’Veon Bell caught up with Odell Beckham Jr. at the Super Bowl last weekend, the New York Giants wide receiver posted a picture of himself with the Pittsburgh Steelers running back on his Instagram account. Pretending he had been recruiting Bell to New York, the photograph was accompanied by a few words that read “Welcome the newest member of the Giants @steelersrb26 (Please change ur handle)”.

By Monday, it appeared Bell had taken some of that advice to heart when he announced a new handle for his Instagram account. For a number of Steelers fans, this small change had sent them into panic mode.

Ignoring the common sense fact that the handle “leveonbell” is much more appropriate for one of the most well-known running backs in the NFL over “steelersrb26”, some within Steeler Nation believe this is an obvious sign he is leaving.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/06/leveon-bell-changes-his-instagram-handle-and-steeler-nation-freaks-out/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 am

no need to panic or be concerned until either the ink dries or the door barely misses his arse when he walks out of the Steelers facility.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:57 am

Honestly I am kind of hoping they part ways. It's been exciting to watch him, but I would rather go with a younger back that has something to prove rather than an older one that thinks he's worth more than the high-end of the RB market. Bell is more interested in how much money he makes, his social media image, and his rap career than he is in winning a championship.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 am

^ I tend to agree. Bell is a fantastic back, but I would rather have a Leonard Fournette type back that hits the hole with such power, he takes defenders with him.

Bell has really worn on me that past year or so. The biggest thing is the cap hit. There is so much more we could do with that to better the team.

Last edited by jak341 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:

According to Bob Labriola: The CB agreement states that if he receives an offer and the FO refuses to match we get 2 #1s for him.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Would like to see them sign him, but not at the cost of the defense. We got lucky last year facing a number of weak teams with backup QB’s and we barely got by. We won’t get so lucky this year unless the defense improves.

Bell is a great back but he could never deliver that homerun TD like Willie Parker used to. I wouldn’t mind seeing another back of the same type in there again if we can’t come to a mutually fair agreement.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Art Rooney had his end of year press conference today. #1 topic? Resigning Bell. He is "absolutely committed" to signing Bell to a long term contract.

More will be said on tomorrow's Pittsburgh morning show, where AR II is the special guest.

Last edited by jak341 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 am

Signing Bell to a long term contract is a good start, but both sides have to realize:
1. You can't under pay him.  I honestly believe he's shown why he's one of the best, if not the best, RB in the league right now.
2. You can't over pay him.  If it's money he's after then let him walk to a team that will pay him outlandishly but won't be able to provide a supporting cast (like the one he has now).

I'd offer him 4 years, $15M per year, $35M Guaranteed but I'd also have clauses that if he gets suspended (for any reason) he has to repay a certain amount of his contract.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm

AR II was on the WDVE morning show today. When asked about Bell, he said they both agree on wanting him to stay in Pittsburgh. AR II was then asked how it was going. He said to go read Bell's Twitter and you will have more info. than him, or something like that.

Odd thing to say. IMO, reading between the lines, it's not going well.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm

think Ben is going to redo his contract to add years and help the Steelers with Bell's new contract.

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 pm

@jak341 wrote:
AR II was on the WDVE morning show today. When asked about Bell, he said they both agree on wanting him to stay in Pittsburgh. AR II was then asked how it was going. He said to go read Bell's Twitter and you will have more info. than him, or something like that.

Odd thing to say. IMO, reading between the lines, it's not going well.

Not sure how to take that comment without hearing tone and more context. On the surface, it sounds rather passive-aggressive.

Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 am

I wish Art II would stop doing these things.

He sounds foolish.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Quote :
Le’Veon Bell rumors: 5 best fits in NFL free agency

Video
5. San Francisco 49ers
The 49ers have the most cap space in the league going into free agency (nearly $116 million, via Over The Cap.com), pending what they do with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo via the franchise tag or a multi-year deal. Running back Carlos Hyde is set to hit free agency as well, and it seems unlikely he’ll be back in San Francisco.

4. Cleveland Browns
The Browns have added credibility to their organization with the hiring of John Dorsey as general manager, and they will have plenty of cap space available to spend in free agency ($109.6 million as of right now, via Over The Cap.com). The ongoing question is centered on if any big-named free agents will take the money the Browns can offer, but they have the ability to bump up their contract offers in order to be competitive in the market.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Buccaneers had a highly disappointing 2017 season, finishing 5-11 after being a popular preseason sleeper and getting a lot of hype from appearing on “Hard Knocks.” The league’s 27th-ranked rush offense (90.6 yards per game) needs a spark, and Doug Martin (2.9 yards per carry in 2017) is as good as gone after back-to-back dismal seasons. Peyton Barber had some good moments in Martin’s stead, but he looks like nothing more than a serviceable backup.
Tampa Bay already has the fifth-most salary cap space in the league right now ($61.45 million-Over The Cap.com), with the possibility to add another $6.75 million by making the obvious decision to cut Martin. So an entrance into the mix for Bell, if he is available, cannot be totally ruled out.

2. Oakland Raiders
The Raiders created some hype by bringing Marshawn Lynch in out of retirement last offseason, but the results were not great. Lynch had 891 rushing yards and seven touchdowns in 15 games (4.3 yards per carry), as the “leader” of the league’s 25th-ranked rushing attack (97.1 yards per game).
Lynch may be back for another go-round in Oakland, with a $4 million base salary and a cap hit just over $5.9 million for this year. His re-retirement or a surprising decision to cut him would clear that money without implications, however inconsequential it looks on the surface, while creating a need on the roster.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
As Bell gets set to become a free agent again, the Steelers still hold a lot of cards. Placing the franchise tag on him for a second straight year would control Bell’s status for 2018, even with a potential “tag and trade” scenario, so a return to Pittsburgh is the most likely development this offseason.
Bell has, as previously mentioned, backed off his threat to retire or sit out next season if he was franchise tagged again and replaced it with optimism about contract talks. Most recently, he has stated a priority of guaranteed money in a new deal

https://fansided.com/2018/02/14/first-last-rumors-destinations-fits-nfl-free-agency/5/

if Bell wants to run behind a quality offensive line the Steelers is his team but chasing the money he might find out yard could be harder to come by.

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Quote :
Top 5 running back prospects + sleepers before the 2018 NFL Combine

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/2/12/17002770/2018-nfl-combine-preview-top-5-running-backs-sleepers

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 am

REPORT: Le'Veon Bell to get franchise tag on Tuesday

According to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, Tuesday is a big day for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Le’Veon Bell. According to Rapoport, the Steelers are planning to go ahead and put the franchise tag on Bell Tuesday while they continue to try and work out a long-term contract.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/19/report-leveon-bell-to-get-franchise-tag-on-tuesday/

Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 am

Tag him and trade him for Beast Mode and a pick?
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:33 am

@Crash wrote:
Tag him and trade him for Beast Mode and a pick?  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-franchise-tags-exclusive-non-exclusive-explained-article-1.2985100

According to this letting him sign an offer sheet from anyone else and not matching it nets 2-#1 picks. Lynch didn't look that good running for the Raiders last year. I think his career is on the downside.

Players who receive the designation can sign their franchise tenders right away or shop for another team to try and get an offer sheet. If another team signs a franchise player to an offer sheet, the original team has a chance to match it. But if the original team doesn't match the offer, the new team must give up
two first-round picks as compensation in order to steal the franchise player away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   

Back to top Go down

Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: