HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:38 am

Oh boy. Bell's Twitter feed is going to be interesting on Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am

@solardave wrote:
@Crash wrote:
Tag him and trade him for Beast Mode and a pick?  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-franchise-tags-exclusive-non-exclusive-explained-article-1.2985100

According to this letting him sign an offer sheet from anyone else and not matching it nets 2-#1 picks. Lynch didn't look that good running for the Raiders last year. I think his career is on the downside.

Players who receive the designation can sign their franchise tenders right away or shop for another team to try and get an offer sheet. If another team signs a franchise player to an offer sheet, the original team has a chance to match it. But if the original team doesn't match the offer, the new team must give up
two first-round picks as compensation in order to steal the franchise player away.

2 #1 round draft picks is what the Steelers really need.

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:28 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Crash wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-franchise-tags-exclusive-non-exclusive-explained-article-1.2985100

According to this letting him sign an offer sheet from anyone else and not matching it nets 2-#1 picks. Lynch didn't look that good running for the Raiders last year. I think his career is on the downside.

Players who receive the designation can sign their franchise tenders right away or shop for another team to try and get an offer sheet. If another team signs a franchise player to an offer sheet, the original team has a chance to match it. But if the original team doesn't match the offer, the new team must give up
two first-round picks as compensation in order to steal the franchise player away.

That would be 2 this year and 2 next year. Seems like somewhere in that mix we could find a starting QB.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 am

@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Crash wrote:

That would be 2 this year and 2 next year. Seems like somewhere in that mix we could find a starting QB.

The non-exclusive tag is the same from a fiscal standpoint, but lets players negotiate with other teams, who can make them contract offers. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet, and if they decline to match, then the player’s new team has to send two first-round picks as compensation.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/what-is-the-nfls-franchise-tag/ar-BBJbhTZ

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am

Quote :
The Le'Veon Bell-Steelers showdown, Part II: What you need to know

PITTSBURGH -- Le'Veon Bell says he and the Pittsburgh Steelers are closer in negotiations than they were a year ago. It's time to find out just how close.
The franchise tag window is here, and if the Steelers use the tag as expected, Bell and the team have the next five months to work out a contract.
Here's what you need to know about what's next:
Where things stand: Both sides have expressed optimism over a long-term deal. Negotiations still are in the early stages, but they could take flight at the NFL combine next week.
Why the Steelers likely will tag Bell: Because they are prepared to use it. They've budgeted for it. And because they'd be crazy to let one of their most productive players hit free agency during a crucial Super Bowl window. If no deal is reached by early March, the Steelers can apply the tag to give themselves more options -- they can keep Bell as another one-year rental or continue to negotiate. The $14.5 million tag gives Bell leverage, but the Steelers can use it as a way to test Bell's retirement claims.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27253/the-leveon-bell-steelers-standoff-part-ii-what-you-need-to-know

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Paul Zeise: With Le'Veon Bell, the Steelers need to hold their ground

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAR 5, 2018

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/03/05/leveon-bell-franchise-tag-deadline-steelers-contract-salary-cap/stories/201803050092

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:38 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:

Steelers redzone offense

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAR 5, 2018

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/03/05/leveon-bell-franchise-tag-deadline-steelers-contract-salary-cap/stories/201803050092

After reading that the top paid running backs in the league are sitting at 8.2 million, there is NO way I give Bell 15 million. That is a markup of 175%ish. No way, no how. Not even 12 million. Not even 10 million.

I wouldn't even tag him. Let him walk and try the free market.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:30 am

@jak341 wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAR 5, 2018

After reading that the top paid running backs in the league are sitting at 8.2 million, there is NO way I give Bell 15 million. That is a markup of 175%ish. No way, no how. Not even 12 million. Not even 10 million.

I wouldn't even tag him. Let him walk and try the free market.

No way we let a player of his caliber walk. Tag him, and put him up for trades. There are some teams with front offices that are stupid enough to pay Bell what he wants. I think we need to try and get some kind of compensation for him. High draft picks in this years draft, and the next.

Honestly I'm sick of Bell and his constant distractions. Last season was really the last straw for me with that stupid holdout. He's getting paid damn good money on these franchise tags, too much to be whining about wanting a long term contract. He caused a huge distraction last offseason, and when he showed up for Week 1 against the Browns he looked like shit because he wasn't in game shape. Bell should take a page out of Kirk Cousins book on how to act like a pro when you keep getting franchise tagged.

This year is looking to be more of the same. Making asinine comments that he'd retire if he gets franchise tagged, or hold out... If Bell's focus was on winning championships he'd take the 12 million a year they offered him and shut the hell up and play. Instead he's still going on about how he wants to be paid like a #2 WR because he lines up at receiver sometimes and catches passes. Give me a break man.

And to be quite frank, Bell is slow as hell. He's no home-run hitter and his career YPC as a running back is 4.3ypc. He's been productive, and had some monster games here and there but I've never got the feeling that he could just rip of a 70yd TD run and change the game. His game is more built on versatility, and in that regard he's great, but hardly worth the ridiculous price he's asking.

The Steelers need to stand their ground, and if Bell doesn't want to play ball. Keep him tagged and shop him around. If he holds out, let him ride the pine for a couple of games. Put the message out that just because you're a star player doesn't mean you get to be a giant distraction for the team.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think the Steelers need to get back to a more professional and less buddy-buddy approach to the game like the Patriots***. Tomlin has always been known as a player's coach, and I think that's fine, but we've seen time and time again where Tomlin's "player's coach" approach has translated to players causing distractions and hurting the team in one way or another. I hate New England, I sincerely despise that team with a passion. But you cannot deny their success, and they seem to be able to just plug in joe schmoe from the streets and still be successful. You don't hear their players running their mouths to the media, you just don't see the distractions like you see with our guys a lot of the time. They are much more strict, and more professional. I think that needs to be the approach our team starts to take.

I love Bell, and I appreciate his contributions, and he's been fun to watch, but I'm tired of the games, and tired of the distractions.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:43 am

I went back and watched some late season games and have to admit Bell is a rare talent. He also is a great big distraction.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5995134-report-steelers-and-le-veon-bell-not-expected-to-reach-deal-before-franchise-tag-deadline?a_aid=36534

I think we are one step closer to getting 2-#1s for him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 am

@solardave wrote:
I went back and watched some late season games and have to admit Bell is a rare talent. He also is a great big distraction.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5995134-report-steelers-and-le-veon-bell-not-expected-to-reach-deal-before-franchise-tag-deadline?a_aid=36534

2 #1's would be a fantastic opportunity to get some top flight young talent on this squad with good drafting. Need to make this defense scary again.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 am

Put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him so teams can offer 2 first-rounders for him. If they can't make a longterm deal with him or no one makes an offer before April 25th (the day before the draft) remove the tag and draft his replacement. The last thing we need is another off-season hold out story that maybe will last into the regular season.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:17 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
Put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him so teams can offer 2 first-rounders for him. If they can't make a longterm deal with him or no one makes an offer before April 25th (the day before the draft) remove the tag and draft his replacement. The last thing we need is another off-season hold out story that maybe will last into the regular season.

This. Right here. The dude is simply asking for way way way too much money and our O-Line will make Conner and a drafted RB (which is a deep class this year) look good. Beyond tired of Bell and his drama...
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

2 #1's would be a fantastic opportunity to get some top flight young talent on this squad with good drafting. Need to make this defense scary again.

We have the right to tag him that way. Question is : Will anyone give up the picks to sign an over inflated contract with him? Maybe the Redskins. Love to see him enjoying the weather in Cleveland so our scary defense we got with the picks drops him in the backfield all game long every time we play them.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Quote :
Tim Benz: Le'Veon Bell making it impossible to stay with Steelers long term

Updated 2 hours ago
For a guy who claims he doesn't want to play on the franchise tag, Le'Veon Bell is making it impossible for his team to give him a long term contract.
For a guy who claims that he wants to be a Steeler his entire career, Le'Veon Bell is making it impossible to stay here beyond 2018.

The franchise tag isn't crafted to be a true representation of player value. It's meant to be an inflated poison pill. It's meant to be a deterrent, or a "break glass in case of emergency" tool.
More or less, the collective bargaining agreement is saying: "You don't want to pay your star player long term? OK. Then you are going to make it burdensome against your cap to keep him. Plus, he's getting a big chunk of cash in one year."

So, greedy? Maybe. But at least I understood where he was coming from.
However, this latest layer to Bell's contract demand is nothing more than him rapping about wanting $15 million per year again, like he did before 2016 ended.
With Bell, one week it's AAV. The next week, it's cash up front. Then next it's guaranteed dollars over the life of the deal. Now, it's AAV again because he's hung up on the franchise tag.
No one wonder Colbert can't get this contract done. He has no idea what the guy on the other side of the table is asking for.
Bell said to ESPN the Steelers have come up from their $13 million per-year offer of last summer. Well, if he started at $15 million and has come down less than $500,000 in two years, then this isn't a negotiation, it's a take-it-or-leave-it stick up.
I'm in favor of the Steelers keeping Bell for at least 2018. But if it's going to be beyond that, Bell needs to close the rest of the gap himself.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/13383533-74/breakfast-with-benz-leveon-bell-making-it-impossible-to-stay-with-steelers

this is just being greedy dick on Bell's part, hell give me 15 million I wouldn't have to work another day in my life.

I see another strike next contract. there is only so much money that can be squeezed out of us fan's.

Last edited by effyou515 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 pm

if i'm kevin colbert , i'd sweeten the pot and throw martavis bryant into the deal...bell and bryant for 2 1st... ....or...bell, bryant, and mike mitchell for a 1st and a 3rd
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:37 am

They placed the exclusive tag on him which means other teams can't negotiate with him and make offers Forget the trade. Stupid move. They've put everything in Bell's hands right now. I don't get it, especially after what happened last year.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am

I simply can not understand why they put the exclusive tag on him... it makes absolutely zero sense.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 pm

unfreakin believable .. ..so the steelers think his value is higher than two first rd picks ..  .. the non exclusive was a win win situation. if no other team offers higher than the steelers they win by showing bell he over values himself , but if a team does outbid them , they end up with TWO     potential good players and much needed cap relief = WIN.   ALL they've done by going exclusive is let bell know they are desperate to sign him which puts the ball in his court. then next year we may see a bell that's playing not to get hurt, or he may even sit out a few regular season games trying to force a trade.

the colts , jets, and redskins all have a shit load of cap money to spend and all need a rb. colbert should be blowing up their phones setting up a contingency plan in case bell acts up.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920122/article/antonio-brown-restructures-deal-frees-space-for-bell
I don't understand them not using the "non-exclusive" tag here. Talk about putting all your millions of eggs in one basket-case.

What happens if they get this deal done, Bell gets a shitload of money, blows out a knee (on a hit by Burfict) and never plays again. He walks away with a bunch of guaranteed money and we are cap screwed for at least a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Nice article from ESPN. Listen to the video of Stephen A. Smith as well. Especially pay attention to the graphic about RB salary.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22690200/pittsburgh-steelers-rb-leveon-bell-says-sit-2018-season

I'm not a fan of where this is heading at all.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Nice article from ESPN. Listen to the video of Stephen A. Smith as well. Especially pay attention to the graphic about RB salary.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22690200/pittsburgh-steelers-rb-leveon-bell-says-sit-2018-season

I'm not a fan of where this is heading at all.

Me neither. If he skips camp like last year he doesn't show up until game 3 or 4 condition wise. Like Smith said. Be a business man and leave emotion out of it. I smell a shit storm brewing.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Me at this point....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm

I went from the end of last year and hoping they did resign him to now hoping they pull the franchise offer. He's saying today that he'll play but don't expect anything extra. A report at ESPN is saying they were offering 13.3 per year and Bell wants at least 14.5. I don't see him being valued almost 2x as high over the next RB. His franchise tag cripples the Steelers in free agency,his attitude/hold out will start next year off towards another season of off-field distractions, not to mention he starts the first month of season rusty. At this point it would be awesome if they just dropped the franchise, drafted a RB and let Bell see how well he does when he isn't running behind an All Pro line as good as the Steelers, and without a QB Ben's caliber

PostSubject: Re: Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season   

Back to top Go down

Bell likely headed to another franchise tag for 2018 season
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: