HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Quote :
Sales growth at Papa John's is slowing, and the pizza chain is blaming it on the outcry surrounding NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, the Associated Press reports.
The company, which is a sponsor and advertiser of the NFL, said customers have a negative view of the chain's association with the NFL. The company also cut its earnings growth expectations for the year and Papa John's stock fell about 10 percent Wednesday.
"NFL leadership has hurt Papa John's shareholders," said the chain's CEO John Schnatter, in a call with analysts Wednesday. "This should have been nipped in the bud a year and a half ago."

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/66347/Papa-John-s-cites-NFL-controversy-in-weak-pizza-sales-growth

also imo papa john's pizza sucks.

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 pm

NFL has nothing to do with pizza sales lol. maybe their pizza sucks.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 am

A) Their pizza is blah, B) You have a huge deal with the NFL already that many superior pizza places would kill for, C) Your company has been doing fine for sometime, and D) Your pizza sucks. No one forced PJ's to sponsor the NFL. He could have pulled the ads any time he felt troubled by the kneeling but he chose not to.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

I prefer Papa John's over Domino's and Pizza Hut except for Pizza Hut's thin crust. However, we have several local pizza places who over better pizza, more toppings, for essentially the same price.

However, in relation to the article, people have always associated sponsors with things they advertise with. The NFL allowed the protest to get to the level they did without interacting, fans reacted, and now this is the consequence of your original sponsorship agreement. Along those lines, I seriously doubt people are boycotting you b/c of the NFL.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:57 am

I think blaming the NFL for declining sales is a convenient scapegoat. As far as national chain pizza, they are decent. Pizza Hut, at least the local one, has really stepped up their game. Pizzas there are pretty good nowadays. I've completely written off Domino's. Their pizza is garbage. Last time, it was delivered 1.5 hours late, was cold, and they refused to do anything about it.

We still usually order from our local pizzerias though.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
I prefer Papa John's over Domino's and Pizza Hut except for Pizza Hut's thin crust.  However, we have several local pizza places who over better pizza, more toppings, for essentially the same price.

However, in relation to the article, people have always associated sponsors with things they advertise with.  The NFL allowed the protest to get to the level they did without interacting, fans reacted, and now this is the consequence of your original sponsorship agreement.  Along those lines, I seriously doubt people are boycotting you b/c of the NFL.

I agree with this 100%. Papa John's is better than the other main pizza chains like Domino's and Pizza Hut, but they cannot compete with the local mom & pop / artisan pizza shops. And people who seriously want a good pizza are going to go to those places, and not PJ's. It's like comparing McDonald's or Burger King to a good burger joint, there's no contest.

In reality they're losing business to small / local businesses and I think that's a good thing. In my area, these specialty pizza spots are a little more expensive than ordering from PJ's / Pizza Hut, but people nowadays seem to be willing to pay more for a higher quality product.

And as jak said Papa John's blaming lack of sales on the NFL is a scapegoat, and a total weak one at that. Who the hell orders takeout and is all like 'Oh, no actually I'm not going to order pizza, cause they're a sponsor of some sport who some players kneeled during the anthem...' lol, that just sounds incredibly ridiculous. If I'm hungry and want food, I have food on the mind, not that bullcrap.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

pizza pizza where I live there are no mom and pop pizza joints for my peperoni and cheese pizza fix is Little Caesars Detroit deep dish extra cheese and peperoni.

it is Mello Mushroom pizza if I want to a bunch of toppings.

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Quote :
NFL game telecasts averaged 14.772 million viewers during the first eight weeks of the season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. That figure is down 5 percent from 15.549 million viewers during the first half of the 2016 season and off 18.7 percent from 18.167 million viewers for the same period in 2015 — before former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick inspired a debate about racial injustice by sitting, then taking a knee, during the national anthem.

Last weekend's action featured two strong games in the late Sunday afternoon window. The Seahawks nipped the Texans 41-38, and the Cowboys beat the archrival Redskins 33-19. Even the magnet Cowboys couldn't save the numbers.

NFL Week 8 games averaged 12.685 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That's down 6.2 percent from 13.526 million during Week 8 of 2016 and off 25.5 percent from 17.036 million for Week 8 in 2015. Monday night's game, the Chiefs' 29-19 win over the Broncos, was the lowest-rated and least-watched Week 8 "Monday Night Football" game ever, according to Sports Media Watch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-tv-numbers-plunge-deepens-one-major-sponsor-points-finger-at-goodell/ar-AAum7vR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

congrats Houston Astros 2017 World Series Champs. now we'll see if the NFL ratings come up or it might really suck for the players in the next contract with the NFL.

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:48 am

I expect a strike at the next contract. The players' attitudes have become over the top and their egos are going to interfere with making millions.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:31 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
I expect a strike at the next contract. The players' attitudes have become over the top and their egos are going to interfere with making millions.

You forgot to mention Goodell's ego and attitude. The screw job that was the last CBA (remember why no one on the Steelers signed it?).

IMO, some of this shite should get discussed and resolved now before they get to the end of the current CBA. Or there's definitely going to be a strike.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:

You forgot to mention Goodell's ego and attitude.  The screw job that was the last CBA (remember why no one on the Steelers signed it?).

IMO, some of this shite should get discussed and resolved now before they get to the end of the current CBA.  Or there's definitely going to be a strike.

I see a strike myself to quote Houston Texas owner "we can't have the inmates running the prison."

I worked at this one company where the employees got to and thought they ran the show made a damn good product another company bought the company. the new company tried to improve the process get more efficient to make more units the a lot of the employees kinda fought it. long story short after 3 years the new company shut it down and moved the product to another more efficient plant the owned.

right now I working for a company this story might happen again but not being bought by another company.

PostSubject: Re: Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth    

Back to top Go down

Papa John's cites NFL controversy in weak pizza sales growth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: