HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ryan Shazier injury

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am

My prayers go out to him.

I have a very bad feeling and I hope my feeling is very wrong.

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 am

There is a "leak" from some people on Twitter who have contact with the players. Spinal cord contusion is what they said.

Can't confirm if it is true though.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 am

@jak341 wrote:
There is a "leak" from some people on Twitter who have contact with the players. Spinal cord contusion is what they said.

Can't confirm if it is true though.

Oh wow, that is awful. If true, could be a long road to recovery for him and I wouldn't blame him if he decided to hang up the cleats to be safe. I do hope it's less serious than that.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 am

Found one of the Tweets.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/937918395609120768
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 am

@jak341 wrote:
Found one of the Tweets.

Oh that sounds good. Just hope he's okay. Really like Shazier and his game.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 am

@jak341 wrote:
Found one of the Tweets.

That's encouraging news. All we can do now is wait and hope/pray.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 am

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:57 am

Shazier will be OK, it's just a matter of how bad the contusion is. It's basically a really bad bruise that can cause temporary paralysis below the injury site like we saw during the game tonight. Can take a few days to clear up, or a few weeks it just depends on the severity of the injury overall. Hoping it's not very bad and clears up relatively quickly. I'm sure they're giving him anti inflammatory meds and painkillers at the moment to help.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:35 am

thanks guys...

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:17 am

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Hopefully Shazier will stop tackling with his helmet.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 am

I really hope he can fully recover. That some of the reports are true and that he's going to be ok and live a "normal" life. That's the most important part right now. We'll see about his football career afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Hopefully Shazier will stop tackling with his helmet.

I hope so too. But as you might remember he used his shoulders in his first couple of years and that caused a lot of shoulder injuries. It's at the end of the 2015-2016 season that he started to use his helmet, the Giovanni Bernard hit in the play-off game was one of the first times he did, probably to avoid these injuries.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

Myself I'd like to see players go back to just wrapping up the ball carrier with a clean tackle instead of trying for the highlight reel every play.We have players who are bigger and stronger than ever but can't seem to put two arms around someone and bring them to the ground.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am

Bad tackling has been around since the LeBeau era. It still is here with Butler. It's not going to change until we change D coordinators, or Tomlin makes it a priority.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 am

Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Tweet from Vince Williams. Just a extremely happy smiley face emoji. Assuming he got some good news.

https://twitter.com/VinnyVidiVici98/status/938088823631867904
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:10 pm

No major updates from the Tomlin presser. Shazier has regained some feeling and motion in legs. Next 24-48 hours are critical.

Edit: Tomlin visited Shazier last night. Conversation was strictly business. Shazier was asking how V. Williams played.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Update: Shazier not coming home to Pittsburgh today. Remaining in Cincinnati for more tests and evaluation.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/938149244187398151
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 pm

I very rarely come into this forum anymore, because I am extremely busy these days. Sent prayers up for Shazier right after it happened. Let's hope the swelling within the spine goes down soon.

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 am

@Jazzo wrote:
I very rarely come into this forum anymore, because I am extremely busy these days. Sent prayers up for Shazier right after it happened. Let's hope the swelling within the spine goes down soon.

Good to see you around man! I am hoping for his swelling to subside quickly as well. I sincerely hope that he doesn't rush himself back for the game, your spine isn't something you mess around with. Shazzy needs to stay out until he is 100%.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

Going to post this since it's the best explanation I've read about the current state of his injury. It's from a Broncos fan on another forum.

The fact that he didn't move his legs at all means it the cord was definitely contused. Fortunately, reports are that he has regained some movement already this morning - which is great news. The fact he's not back to full strength, though, means the contusion was significant.

That has 4 implications:

1. This early, the hope for a full recovery is very real. Swelling is still there, so the hope is as the swelling goes down, the pressure on the cord is what's causing paralysis.

2. Playing-wise, there's no way any sane doctor will clear him until the contusion is fully healed, given the severity of the injury. It would be absolutely shocking if he got cleared even in the regular season. Maddox was a different case, because it was a neck contusion - which is more commonly seen, and in some ways scarier, because it can leave a player quadriparetic (arms & legs) - but here's the thing - Maddox had regained function 30 mins after he was taken to hospital - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/maddox-is-nfl-comeback-player-1.359779. It took hours for Shazier to regain function. It's not an exact formula, obviously, but that alone means the injury here was more severe locally. Maybe it's all swelling and he'll be fine, but it really could be apples to oranges using Maddox as a comp from severity alone.

3. Both the location of the injury (lower back) and the position Shazier plays (ILB) factors in here. So few injuries involve a mid-lower back spinal cord contusion - so they will likely have done other tests to see why it happened there (because most of the time, the mild version is a neck stinger, the worst is neck involvement, back involvement they need to see if there's a specific local reason why that got affected). Shazier will need to be cleared in that respect, AND then be cleared for LB play. I don't know any sane doc would do that until the swelling's down, the contusion is completely gone, and Shazier shows 100 percent return of function.

4. Frankly, I don't know if a doc clears Shazier if he can't learn to tackle head up (remember his hit on Gio Bernard 2 years ago was just as dangerous - it just happened to injure Bernard worse than him, but it was another head-down, head first hit). Obviously, that's not a certainty, but you have to be worried that Shazier can't change his stripes when it comes to his risk of tackling head-down, given his technique is a huge part of the risk with him (and others).

The most important outcome is that Shazier returns to a normal life. His progress so far is very encouraging - but this is a far, far, different animal than Tommy Maddox - severity of presentation, location (which calls into question if there's another local reason why it happened there), and of course, the position Shazier has to play. The fact PIT isn't disclosing all the info means there is still uncertainty. Here's to hoping the best news in the next 2-3 days (walking and back to normal) - but even then, the timeline to recovery to play is going to be a LOT murkier than pointing the Maddox case. Still, most important is getting back to a full normal life outside of football - really great chances of that from the news so far.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 am

The latter is the most important thing. Hopefully he can play again but most important is his well being.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks for posting that, Stella. A lot of good info there. Here's what I want to comment on ...

Quote :
Frankly, I don't know if a doc clears Shazier if he can't learn to tackle head up (remember his hit on Gio Bernard 2 years ago was just as dangerous - it just happened to injure Bernard worse than him, but it was another head-down, head first hit). Obviously, that's not a certainty, but you have to be worried that Shazier can't change his stripes when it comes to his risk of tackling head-down, given his technique is a huge part of the risk with him (and others).

As soon as I saw the replay, and before I knew the severity of the injury, I said to my son, "I've been saying for years that it's just a matter of time before Shazier injures himself with the way he tackles." After learning the severity of the injury, his tackling style isn't something I wanted to bring up at that moment. But now that it's brought up, I think it needs to be discussed.

Shazier constantly leads with the crown of his helmet, and I can't believe that hasn't been coached out of him yet. Assuming he plays again, I hope he changes his style. If not, it would be better if he moves on from football and enjoys the rest of his life. Obviously, that's not what I want, but his health is the top priority.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   

Back to top Go down

Ryan Shazier injury
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: