HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Ryan Shazier injury

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 707
Likes : 142
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Stella. A lot of good info there. Here's what I want to comment on ...

Quote :
Frankly, I don't know if a doc clears Shazier if he can't learn to tackle head up (remember his hit on Gio Bernard 2 years ago was just as dangerous - it just happened to injure Bernard worse than him, but it was another head-down, head first hit). Obviously, that's not a certainty, but you have to be worried that Shazier can't change his stripes when it comes to his risk of tackling head-down, given his technique is a huge part of the risk with him (and others).

As soon as I saw the replay, and before I knew the severity of the injury, I said to my son, "I've been saying for years that it's just a matter of time before Shazier injures himself with the way he tackles." After learning the severity of the injury, his tackling style isn't something I wanted to bring up at that moment. But now that it's brought up, I think it needs to be discussed.

Shazier constantly leads with the crown of his helmet, and I can't believe that hasn't been coached out of him yet. Assuming he plays again, I hope he changes his style. If not, it would be better if he moves on from football and enjoys the rest of his life. Obviously, that's not what I want, but his health is the top priority.

As I stated earlier I think that at the start of his career he was tackling correctly (at least not leading with the crown of his helmet), but that injuries to his shoulder(s) initiated him to start tackling with the crown of his helmet to spare his shoulders. The Bernard hit to be (one of) the first of those tackles. I didn't try to find any tape to prove it so I could be wrong. It would be interesting if anyone could confirm/refute this.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 707
Likes : 142
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am

I just watched his 2015 highlights and the Bernard tackle seems the only one where he's leading with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhjVyoKHnU
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17346
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
I just watched his 2015 highlights and the Bernard tackle seems the only one where he's leading with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhjVyoKHnU


Here's four different hits from just games against the Bengals ...








_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1889
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Shazier is back in Pittsburgh. The team is still not releasing any more details regarding his injury.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21693415/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-transferred-pittsburgh-hospital-cincinnati
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

avatar

Posts : 11191
Likes : 760
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am

I expect Shazier will be back in uniform some time this year, most likely the playoffs.

I also expect him to find a new way to tackle people without putting his helmet down.

Finally, I expect him to come back with a passion.

_________________

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17346
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm


_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

avatar

Posts : 2051
Likes : 1169
Join date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I honestly just hope he's alright. The long silence does have me worried, though.
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1889
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Update from UPMC. Not good. Spinal fusion sugery.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/938849666464210944
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17346
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm

@jak341 wrote:
Update from UPMC. Not good. Spinal fusion sugery.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/938849666464210944

Am I wrong to read negativity into the update? The fact that I can't find any mention of his current status concerns me. People on twitter are debating if his season/career is over. I'm just hoping he walks again.

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17346
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 pm



The responses to that tweet are in line with my thinking .... football? Are we sure yet whether he'll walk again?

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

avatar

Posts : 2051
Likes : 1169
Join date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

:(
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1889
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

A lot more negativity in Twitter about this now.

https://twitter.com/chasepwilliams/status/938867293676822534
https://twitter.com/chasepwilliams/status/938867518504095744

Shazier's father is just hoping for a better tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/kemico/status/938864940064083968

Definitely sounds more serious than the initial optimism. A lot of people questioning not when, if, he comes back.


Last edited by jak341 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 505
Likes : 109
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

His career is done. I hate saying that but that’s the truth of it. The only reason they would do the surgery is that things got worse as the time went by or they didn’t want it to get any worse. Man this sucks...


So what are some 1st round ILBs in the draft that have his characteristics?
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu



Posts : 1395
Likes : 576
Join date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Awful. :(
Back to top Go down
jak341

avatar

Posts : 1889
Likes : 498
Join date : 2015-04-09
Location : Pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Update from ESPN. It's bad. Real bad. Opinion from an unaffiliated neurologist.

https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele/status/938858845287387136
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

avatar

Posts : 2051
Likes : 1169
Join date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

fricking a. i'm not even excited about this week's game any more and it's ravens week, i should be.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
avatar

Posts : 670
Likes : 533
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
fricking a. i'm not even excited about this week's game any more and it's ravens week, i should be.

I feel the same way, but about the rest of the season. No Shazier is going to be really bad against the Pats* and in the playoffs.

_________________
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 540
Likes : 147
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Hopefully he can get back on his feet. This is the sort of thing that even if he can come back his perspective on things will likely, and rightfully, be drastically altered.
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3098
Likes : 535
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Fort Worth Texas

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 am

if he can walk again would be great his football days are done.

I'm just praying for the best.

_________________
Pigs rule, Dogs enforce, Sheep abide.
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3098
Likes : 535
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Fort Worth Texas

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 am

[quote="effyou515"][quote="effyou515"]Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

Quote :
On Wednesday night, Shazier's fiance, Michelle Rodriguez, used her Instagram account to ask for continued prayers.
"This is honestly more than football," she wrote. "You guys honestly don't know how much this means to us and our families. The love and support that has been flooded our way is something that we are very grateful for. We THANK YOU!

I may not be PC i'll make fun of all the races but the selfish Steelers fans piss me off thinking about him in the playoffs or returning to the line up,,, I just want to see the man walk around on his own.

_________________
Pigs rule, Dogs enforce, Sheep abide.
Back to top Go down
TollingtheBell26

avatar

Posts : 313
Likes : 64
Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:30 am

Just awful awful news, I hope hes able to get back on his feet, thats the main thing. Not only this Sunday but hopefully we win the whole damn thing for him this year
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17346
Likes : 1442
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 am

The following article is from Deadspin and not exactly an expert source, but it does a good job of making the point I was trying to make earlier. It should go without saying that I hope me and the Deadspin writer are wrong.

These Ryan Shazier Updates Don't Seem Reassuring

Normally, when a player sustains a brutal, scary injury in a game, his team and the NFL media machine rush to get out word that he’ll be okay. Suspension of disbelief matters a great deal in a league as violent as the NFL, which means that it makes sense to remind fans that, however horrifying the injury looked, the person who suffered it had movement in his extremities, or is in good spirits at the hospital. It’s part of what football fans need to make peace with watching this game.

This has been what’s most worrying about the days since Pittsburgh’s Ryan Shazier was carted off the field with a back injury on Monday night. There hasn’t been any explicitly bad news, but the general silence about his condition as he continues to receive medical treatment has seemed concerning at best and ominous at worst.

It’s most likely that Shazier’s condition is still up in the air, with a too-wide gap between possible outcomes to speculate responsibly, or even irresponsibly. But for now, until more information gets confirmed, no news sure does not feel like good news.

https://deadspin.com/these-ryan-shazier-updates-dont-seem-reassuring-1821096886
--------------------------------------------------------------




And here's some rather ominous quotes, which hopefully I'm reading too much into...

Keith Butler: "All I am is hopeful that he gets well. I'm not worried about him playing for us again. I'm more worried about him. And so I think y'all been updated as much as we have, so the thing that we were hopeful for and prayerful for that he comes back and he's going to be OK.

Bud Dupree: "We ain't really worried about football with him anyway. So we don't really give a damn about football right now with him. We're just looking at it from the standpoint of him being our brother."

Cam Heyward: "Because that's not a concern right now. I'm worried about Ryan being able to be there for his kids. That's all you really hope for because this football thing is going to run out anyway. That's the last thing on your mind right now."

Quotes from http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/ryan_shazier_steelers_life.html

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 540
Likes : 147
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
The following article is from Deadspin and not exactly an expert source, but it does a good job of making the point I was trying to make earlier. It should go without saying that I hope me and the Deadspin writer are wrong.

These Ryan Shazier Updates Don't Seem Reassuring

Normally, when a player sustains a brutal, scary injury in a game, his team and the NFL media machine rush to get out word that he’ll be okay. Suspension of disbelief matters a great deal in a league as violent as the NFL, which means that it makes sense to remind fans that, however horrifying the injury looked, the person who suffered it had movement in his extremities, or is in good spirits at the hospital. It’s part of what football fans need to make peace with watching this game.

This has been what’s most worrying about the days since Pittsburgh’s Ryan Shazier was carted off the field with a back injury on Monday night. There hasn’t been any explicitly bad news, but the general silence about his condition as he continues to receive medical treatment has seemed concerning at best and ominous at worst.

It’s most likely that Shazier’s condition is still up in the air, with a too-wide gap between possible outcomes to speculate responsibly, or even irresponsibly. But for now, until more information gets confirmed, no news sure does not feel like good news.

https://deadspin.com/these-ryan-shazier-updates-dont-seem-reassuring-1821096886
--------------------------------------------------------------




And here's some rather ominous quotes, which hopefully I'm reading too much into...

Keith Butler: "All I am is hopeful that he gets well. I'm not worried about him playing for us again. I'm more worried about him. And so I think y'all been updated as much as we have, so the thing that we were hopeful for and prayerful for that he comes back and he's going to be OK.

Bud Dupree: "We ain't really worried about football with him anyway. So we don't really give a damn about football right now with him. We're just looking at it from the standpoint of him being our brother."

Cam Heyward: "Because that's not a concern right now. I'm worried about Ryan being able to be there for his kids. That's all you really hope for because this football thing is going to run out anyway. That's the last thing on your mind right now."

Quotes from http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/ryan_shazier_steelers_life.html

Thanks for posting. I don't have a lot of time for searching these things down. Such a sad situation. It puts things in perspective. I get hung up too much on NFL at times, normally I'd be focusing on my Ravens hatred. Next week Pats*. Right now I just hope Shazier walks out of that hospital.
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3098
Likes : 535
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Fort Worth Texas

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 am

to small to fast

_________________
Pigs rule, Dogs enforce, Sheep abide.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2997
Likes : 542
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 am

All I care about is him getting well. Some of you may remember Gabe Rivera. We drafted him in 83' (#1) as a nose tackle out of Texas Tech. He crashed his 280Z and is paralyzed. He only played 6 games.

Right now I care about Ryan Shazier the man. Not what he means to our playoff chances. If all we care about is our next game or draft strategy going forward without him IMO we're no better than half of the fan base out there.

I wouldn't wish this on any player, ever. I have said it in the past and I'll say it again.

If any athletes deserve the big bucks it's football players because of these types of injuries. After football they end up with head trauma, post concussion, and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

I remember Nascar fans saying Earnhardt didn't even hit the wall that hard but who knows when or where it's going to happen?

I just pray he recovers and can live a normal life.



Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   

Back to top Go down
 
Ryan Shazier injury
Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: