HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Ryan Shazier injury

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks Wally. I see light at the end of the tunnel and hope to get back to my normal schedule, and posting more in about 2 weeks.

Great news regarding one of the things that kept me busy since June: my son's 6th grade football team, that I was an assistant coach with, won their championship for the first time in over 20 years. They were awarded the Middle School Football Team Of the Year award for the Greater Charlotte region. It's a great group of young guys who play tough football as a team. More importantly, those kids are very respectful and hard working. Truly an amazing experience!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:36 am

imo,,, Shazier OLB in a 4-3 two deep zone defense could of been Jack Ham X2 and a good man coverage on a slot.

imo,,, Shazier / Troy, Troy when the killer shot was there he took it if the killers shot wasn't there he'd take the lower legs or feet out (everybody misses tackles) or when blitzing went for the ball and not so mush the QB. Troy was always going for the ball 1st player with the ball 2nd.

Shazier most times went with the big hit on the player first and thought about the ball 2nd.

Shazier is good people like Troy and both great team defense players.

my favorite fast attacking defenses but it has to be fast attacking the ball defense 1st and the player with the ball 2nd. imo the ball is more important then the player who is throwing, running, or catching the ball. if you understand that I mean hit the ball harder then the player.

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 am

Quote :
“We’re not going to see him [play] again this season. He may not play football again,” Alessi said. He added that the stabilization surgery is needed when “bones around his spinal cord are dislocated. This is a more severe injury [than a contusion, as the injury was initially announced to be]. This is a much more severe situation on our hands than we thought.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/hospital-provides-update-steelers-ryan-shazier-not-provide-many-details-215049169.html

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
Thanks Wally. I see light at the end of the tunnel and hope to get back to my normal schedule, and posting more in about 2 weeks.

Great news regarding one of the things that kept me busy since June: my son's 6th grade football team, that I was an assistant coach with, won their championship for the first time in over 20 years. They were awarded the Middle School Football Team Of the Year award for the Greater Charlotte region. It's a great group of young guys who play tough football as a team. More importantly,  those kids are very respectful and hard working. Truly an amazing experience!

Congrats to you and the team.
We don't call you Captain for nothing.
--------------------------------------------------

A good article on the latest Shazier update ...

Ryan Shazier remaining hospitalized for rehab signals he has a ways to go

There is possible bad news and possible good news to be gleaned from the reports Ryan Shazier remains in the hospital as he begins his rehabilitation phase.

Obviously, doctors believe there is hope for improvement, or there would be no need to move to rehabilitation.

However, the circumstance also indicates Shazier does not have full neurologic function.

The spinal stabilization surgery Shazier underwent last week after being injured making a tackle in a game on Dec. 4 requires rehabilitation and therapy, but that is usually done on an outpatient basis if there is no neurologic issue.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-ryan-shazier-movement-legs-hospital-rehab-1215-story.html

-----------------------------------------------

The above article, from a sports medical analyst, says the same thing I've been saying (unfortunately) ...

Quote :
The lack of information on his neurological status is concerning, as good news usually comes easily where bad news comes slowly. Still, I continue to hope lack of information is due to the player/family request for privacy.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Ryan Shazier was in a wheelchair today

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Shazier was seen in a wheelchair at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on Saturday.

The Steelers inside linebacker rolled through the lobby at the team facility and smiled as he greeted team staff. Defensive teammates came downstairs to greet him. He was joined by his fiance and Le'Veon Bell, who was holding Shazier's puppy, in an elevator.

Pittsburgh had just finished practice and was set to tie off its last meetings on the team's final pull practice day before facing the Houston Texans in a 4:30 p.m. kickoff on Christmas Day.

Shazier's use of a wheelchair was not previously known publicly.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/ryan_shazier_wheelchair.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Not too much in the way of updates. Shazier's father posting a cryptic, yet seemingly good news, update.

https://twitter.com/VernonShazier/status/946158332712284160
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54 am

I believe his playing days are over. The important thing is his health going forward. As much as I loved him as a player all of that is in the background. The fact that he wheeled himself in to the facility and was at the Texans game says all we need to know about the man.
Team player. Team is family. I hope and pray he can recover and be a part of this team going forward. Not as a player obviously but as a leader in a coaching/mentor capacity.
I can only imagine what he is going through but I do know his character is out there for the world to see.
The fact that numerous teams have done things to honor him tells me he is respected among his peers as well.

Back to top Go down
TollingtheBell26

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Shaziers dad said in a radio interview hes beginning to regain some feeling in his legs and has come a long way since the initial injury happend. Thats a good sign but obviously still has a long way to go
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 am

If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots****** (should we win in the Divisional round)

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots******* (should we win in the Divisional round)

As awesome as that would be, getting some feeling back in his legs is still a long way from being able to walk.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:09 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots******** (should we win in the Divisional round)

As awesome as that would be, getting some feeling back in his legs is still a long way from being able to walk.

Even if he needs a walker or crutches, or some other assistance in walking, just the idea of him walking out of the tunnel would be awesome.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:32 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots******* (should we win in the Divisional round)

Patriots* are 1 and done in the playoffs. They're shelf life expires soon. I would like to see him lead them out there even if it's in a wheelchair but walking would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots********* (should we win in the Divisional round)

Even if he needs a walker or crutches, or some other assistance in walking, just the idea of him walking out of the tunnel would be awesome.

I love your optimism, but walking even with the use of crutches or some other aid is still a long way off. It'll take months and months of rehab. And he's not even ready yet to begin that process. Although he now has feeling in his legs, I saw no indication that he can move his legs yet.

Truck, I think you've been watching too many episodes of Vikings. He's not Ryan the Boneless.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
@stlrtruck wrote:
If Ryan can get in some steps, I think it would be awesome to see him lead the Steelers out of the locker room on to the field in the AFC Championship game against the Patriots********** (should we win in the Divisional round)

I love your optimism, but walking even with the use of crutches or some other aid is still a long way off. It'll take months and months of rehab. And he's not even ready yet to begin that process. Although he now has feeling in his legs, I saw no indication that he can move his legs yet.

Truck, I think you've been watching too many episodes of Vikings. He's not Ryan the Boneless.

If Ivar can do it, damn it, so can Ryan Shazier!

All you need to do is SHALIEVE!!!

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdx7_Kqn0iD/

Back to top Go down
TollingtheBell26

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd39sM4n_a3/

Pretty cool stuff, I definitely want one
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

Hope for the best plan for the worst....

Who is a draft choice for this year that is like Shazier that Pittsburgh can possible draft in the late first or second round?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:42 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Hope for the best plan for the worst....

Who is a draft choice for this year  that is like Shazier that Pittsburgh can possible draft in the late first or second round?

Absolutaly no one. Roquan Smith is the only decent MLB and he'll probably be gone before Shazier and he isn't even close to Shazier athletic abilities.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 pm

This may be good news! Click the link to the Twitter feed, then click the link on the Instagram link.

In short, it is Ryan standing in braces next to Ben. Ryan is officially out of the hospital!

https://twitter.com/RyanShazier/status/959138629674299394?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E2
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:29 pm

@jak341 wrote:
This may be good news! Click the link to the Twitter feed, then click the link on the Instagram link.

In short, it is Ryan standing in braces next to Ben. Ryan is officially out of the hospital!

https://twitter.com/RyanShazier/status/959138629674299394?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E2

Good news indeed.

Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/Beqjm6LHQxr/
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:29 am

@Crash wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Beqjm6LHQxr/

This was really nice to see. I am really hoping he makes a full recovery, and if it's his goal to get back to football then I hope that he realizes it. I know a lot of people are probably hoping he doesn't get back on the field just from the point-of-view that they don't want to see him re-injure himself and makes things worse. I think we only live once, so if he wants to play football, and that's his passion, and he can get back to it with a Doctor's blessing, then more power to the man.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 am

Kind of surprised they didn't bring him out here.  Craig Hospital in Colorado is one of the leading facilities in the country as far as spinal cord injuries and rehabilitation.  

A guy I grew up with in Pittsburgh was injured out here in a car accident (He was in the military stationed in Colorado at the time, I was 10) and they told his family he would be in a veg state so bad that he would not be able to feed himself, much less walk again.  

Then he went to Craig, and was walking in mere months.  

And that was almost 40 years ago, medicine and rehab is much more advanced now.  Another thing that will help #50 is the physical condition he was in at the time of his injury.  

I don't believe he'll play either, but I DO believe he will walk, and they expect him to walk, based on what I've read coming from his Dad's tweets.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 am

@Crash wrote:
Kind of surprised they didn't bring him out here.  Craig Hospital in Colorado is one of the leading facilities in the country as far as spinal cord injuries and rehabilitation.  

A guy I grew up with in Pittsburgh was injured out here in a car accident (He was in the military stationed in Colorado at the time, I was 10) and they told his family he would be in a veg state so bad that he would not be able to feed himself, much less walk again.  

Then he went to Craig, and was walking in mere months.  

And that was almost 40 years ago, medicine and rehab is much more advanced now.  Another thing that will help #50 is the physical condition he was in at the time of his injury.  

I don't believe he'll play either, but I DO believe he will walk, and they expect him to walk, based on what I've read coming from his Dad's tweets.

That's the biggest thing. If he can walk on his own again, I'll be happy. If he plays again, great, but all I care about is if he can walk again. Looks like he's on his way to doing just that.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 am

I love Shazier, and was at the Pats* game when he showed up on the bigscreen for the first time and the place went bananas. I got a little choked up while I was screaming. However, and this is my opinion of course, he won't be able to play at a professional level again.

Even if he makes a full physical recovery and can train his injured body to get back to that level, mentally it will be impossible to do what he did with that fear in the back of his mind.

When I played middle linebacker in High School, I played like I was invincible. (as most teenagers feel anyway) I knew that if I played fearful, I wouldn't be able to drive through tackles like an assassin to lay hats on players as hard as I could. I wasn't the best LB in the state but I certainly tried to play like one. Mid way through my senior year I blew my ACL and because this was high school and I was a senior, I was playing on it 2 weeks later with tape. Obviously I was a shell of myself and played like shit.

That was for a simple knee injury in High School. Imagine how magnified that feeling would be after being paralyzed in the pros?

To be honest, I wouldn't even want to see him try...

Absolutely ecstatic that he is walking again however.

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Shazier injury   

Back to top Go down

Ryan Shazier injury
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: