HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/16/vince-mcmahon-is-thinking-about-bringing-back-the-xfl/

At the end of ESPN’s recent “30 for 30” documentary on the XFL, WWE owner Vince McMahon and former NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol — the men who spearheaded the failed early-aughts competitor to the NFL — mused about possibly giving it another go.

“Do you ever have any thoughts about trying again?” Ebersol asks McMahon, per Pro Football Talk’s transcription.

“Yes, I do,” McMahon replies. “I don’t know what it would be. I don’t know if it’s going to be another XFL or what it may be or how different I would make it. It seems like in some way it would tie in either with the NFL itself or the owners.”

And then Friday, a journalist and pro wrestling fan named Brad Shepard tweeted this:

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 am

When the XFL debuted, the NFL was extremely popular, and it was impossible for any new league to compete with it. But with the NFL's popularity in decline, fans might be more receptive to an alternative league.

When the XFL first debuted, it was a joke from the start. But you have to consider the time period. The WWE was riding high during its Attitude Era, which was raunchy and very adult oriented. Think sex jokes and women wrestling in bras and panties. The XFL was born during this time, when McMahon was always looking to push the envelope, and he did so with the XFL, which made it impossible to take seriously. But the Attitude Era is long gone, and the WWE transformed back to a PG promotion that caters to a much younger audience.

The XFL is remembered as a joke, but the NFL ended up copying some of its innovations. If the XFL had been treated more seriously, it possibly could have survived. Then again, with the NFL at the top of its game, maybe not. But now the landscape is different. The NFL is somewhat vulnerable. Now could be the time for an alternative league to rise up and challenge it. Could the XFL be that league? Probably not. McMahon is a billionaire, but at the end of the day, he's still a carny. And I'm always skeptical about anything he does. But if there's someone with the balls to stand up and kick the NFL while it's down, McMahon is the guy.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:32 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
When the XFL debuted, the NFL was extremely popular, and it was impossible for any new league to compete with it. But with the NFL's popularity in decline, fans might be more receptive to an alternative league.

When the XFL first debuted, it was a joke from the start. But you have to consider the time period. The WWE was riding high during its Attitude Era, which was raunchy and very adult oriented. Think sex jokes and women wrestling in bras and panties. The XFL was born during this time, when McMahon was always looking to push the envelope, and he did so with the XFL, which made it impossible to take seriously. But the Attitude Era is long gone, and the WWE transformed back to a PG promotion that caters to a much younger audience.

The XFL is remembered as a joke, but the NFL ended up copying some of its innovations. If the XFL had been treated more seriously, it possibly could have survived. Then again, with the NFL at the top of its game, maybe not. But now the landscape is different. The NFL is somewhat vulnerable. Now could be the time for an alternative league to rise up and challenge it. Could the XFL be that league? Probably not. McMahon is a billionaire, but at the end of the day, he's still a carny. And I'm always skeptical about anything he does. But if there's someone with the balls to stand up and kick the NFL while it's down, McMahon is the guy.

I would consider watching it. For it to have any chance of success, it has to:

1. Be a real league. No brush league stuff.
  2. The league isn't going to be successful going head to head with the NFL. The best time for it would be March though July.
  3. Marketing. Marketing. Marketing. Advertise yourself as a complementary league. Each year, only ~250 players are drafted out of college. What about those fringe players? The XFL would make a perfect home for them. Advertise as young and potential NFL stars trying to make it to the big leagues.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Right now I think would be a good time to do it. A lot of people (not me) are getting fed up with the NFL. I would hope they would tone down on the cheesyness. XFL was cheesy as hell

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 am

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 pm

He hate me... Cause I love the game of football. He hate me... Cause I will outplay my opponent. He hate me... Cause I'm an outlaw. He hate me
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:28 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:
He hate me... Cause I love the game of football. He hate me... Cause I will outplay my opponent. He hate me... Cause I'm an outlaw. He hate me

Out of everything the XFL did, that's probably the most memorable lol.

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Hey let's not forget we found our QB in the XFL too, MVP Tommy gun Maddox

back to he hate me, i almost bought the jersey too lol
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:31 pm

@vasteeler wrote:
Right now I think would be a good time to do it.  A lot of people (not me) are getting fed up with the NFL.  I would hope they would tone down on the cheesyness.  XFL was cheesy as hell

Honestly I thought that was some of its allure. It even got more entertaining the drunker you got. I'm surprised it never caught on more with college kids haha.

Sideline interviews were hillarious! "you see them over there, you see how they lookin at me? he hate me!" lol. Yeah I was a Las Vegas Outlaws fan lol. If the team had a charismatic personality it made that part of the game a lot more entertaining. I never saw the XFL as a contender to the NFL but just as an entertaining side show. And I thought it succeeded at that.

In a way sort of like wrestling, I didn't care who was the best team in that league, I just followed LV cause He Hate Me was hilarious
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:00 am

I hope they get it right this time and it shows up the NFL in all aspects.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 am

30 players the XFL should go after to make an immediate impact (according to this article):

https://sports.yahoo.com/vince-mcmahon-xfl-must-target-205445771.html
Quote :

Kaepernick
Tebow
Manziel
DeAngelo
James Harrison
Stone Cold Steve Austin

Just to name a few

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm

@stlrtruck wrote:
30 players the XFL should go after to make an immediate impact (according to this article):

https://sports.yahoo.com/vince-mcmahon-xfl-must-target-205445771.html
Quote :

Kaepernick
Tebow
Manziel
DeAngelo
James Harrison
Stone Cold Steve Austin

Just to name a few

Manziel is probably the only one who is even close to realistic.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I was excited about the relaunch of the XFL, but after reading the few details that were released, I think it's going to make the same mistakes it did the first time. Vince wants to reinvent football, but I don't think that's what most football fans want. In fact, the NFL has been reinventing football, and that's part of its problem. Fans want the game we grew up with. Back when we knew what a catch was, when players weren't flagged and fined for great hits, when it was all about football and not politics, etc.

Speaking for myself, I don't want a reinvented game ... I want the game I used to know.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:21 pm

He's not wrong.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL   

Back to top Go down

Vince McMahon is thinking about bringing back the XFL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: NFL-
Jump to: