HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Moving Forward

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:19 am

Where do we go from here? The big thing is going to be AB's returning to action. Hopefully he can get back in a few weeks. I don't know we so much need him the last 2 regular season games, and he has 4 weeks until the first game in divisional round.

Still a chance to regain the 1 seed if Steelers win last 2 and cheats lose 1. Not something I want to hold my breath over though

Steelers hold 2nd seed now and need to win out, or win one and have Jax lose one to maintain it.

Barring further injuries, assuming AB can be back for playoffs, Haden should be go by then too.

I understand all the thinking about it's impossible to win up there. We've all been thru it, we've seen the results....Ben plays better at home, they don't lose up there in playoffs, etc. That being said, as gut wrenching as this one was tonight I think it showed we can play with them. There is going to come a time when we do win up there and I think this team has a chance to do it. As miserable as this feels right now a win today wouldn't compare to beating them there, denying them a SB shot, and us advancing

It's becoming apparent to me from the comments leading up to this that the players and team want this as badly as the fans. A tweet from Mike Mitchell tonight:

Quote :
It is what it is!!! So much fuel for the fire

Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 am

I like the optimism, but this truly was a must win game. Teams simply don't go into Foxboro and win. Brady has lost once in Foxboro in a playoff. That was to the 2013 Ravens, with Flacco playing at a historic level, and a defense for the ages.

Plus, the Patriots* were down 3 starters tonight. They will be back for the playoffs.

As for AB, I read on Twitter that IF he can back this season, it would be for the last playoff round or Superbowl time. Lots of football to be played, and Houston or the Browns will simply roll over. It's going to be hard to win out.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 am

Yeah, I know. Optimistic it is and must win it was, but I'm not giving up. Losing sleep over this one..I need to be up in 5 hours for work.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:58 am

BTW..screw the cheats

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:44 am

I agree, this team can win in foxboro. They just need to be healthy. This Gillette crap is overblown. This team can win anywhere. just have AB and Haden out there and no new significant injuries along the way and I like our chances. For all intents and purposes we won today, and that was without AB and Haden.

I would like to see Butler come up with a better plan on slowing down Gronkowski, they should’ve doubled him on that last drive. Other than that matchup, I thought the Steelers were kicking their asses up and down the field.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 am

The Patriots* had only 2 penalties in that game for 2 yards.

With my limited view here is what I saw: 1st quarter a holding penalty on their TD run where their FB held Davis. That would have put them 3rd and goal from around the 20. Not a sure TD from there.

3rd quarter Ben was hit after he released. DT took 2 steps after the ball was released. Should have been 15 yds. That keeps the drive going. Instead we had to punt.

4th quarter on a punt there was an illegal block in the back on their punt team. That, if called would place them 1st and 10 on their own 5.

4th quarter Gronkowski stood over Davis and taunted him. Again no call but should have been 15 yds.

That's 4 penalties not called. A total of 6 for 44 yards and critical loss of down. That alone would have changed the outcome.

To rub salt in our wounds they reverse a TD on us where the ball crossed the plane. The receiver never let the ball touch the ground but because the ball rotated slightly in his hands they used this to take it away.
It needs to be mentioned that everyone one on both Fox and CBS morning show called this "the game of the year" and what does the NFL do? Pick the most controversial, most incompetent officiating team this year to call this game.

The Patriots* were 2.5 point favorites in Vegas before the game. They predicted 53 points total. I';m just wondering if any of this changed after the game started.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 am

I'm pissed about the officiating since it was one sided. AV's holding penalty was ticky tack as he kept his body between the defender and the RB. Was it holding? Yes. But not something that draws a flag very often. On the flip side, I challenge anyone to watch the Patriots* final drive and point out any of the plays where the offensive line does not hold. I'm fine if you want to call ticky tack BS as long as your consistent, which the refs weren't.

James was robbed on the TD. The ground didn't help him maintain possession nor did he lose control. Does the ball move and does it hit the ground? Yes, but when you see it in full speed, it's obvious James does not lose control of the ball and the ground doesn't help him secure the ball. I think Tony Corrente is exaggerating when he claims James "lost complete control of the football". I maintain James kept control even if the ball moved and have seen this same type catch stand up under replay before.

Having said all that, the Steelers needed to make just one more play to win and didn't. Davis should have caught that tipped pass. Gronk should not have been running down the middle of the field uncovered, twice, on the final Pats* drive. James should have kept his feet after his catch and run into the endzone. Ben should have called a normal pass play with multiple receivers running routes instead of a fake spike and only Rogers running a route. The final pass should have been a fade to Bryant, who had about a foot height advantage on the CB covering him. Ben should have thrown the ball away when Rogers obviously didn't succeed in getting separation.

So refs aside, the Steelers lost this game because they didn't make any numbers of plays that would have won the game.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
I'm pissed about the officiating since it was one sided. AV's holding penalty was ticky tack as he kept his body between the defender and the RB. Was it holding? Yes. But not something that draws a flag very often. On the flip side, I challenge anyone to watch the Patriots** final drive and point out any of the plays where the offensive line does not hold. I'm fine if you want to call ticky tack BS as long as your consistent, which the refs weren't.

James was robbed on the TD. The ground didn't help him maintain possession nor did he lose control. Does the ball move and does it hit the ground? Yes, but when you see it in full speed, it's obvious James does not lose control of the ball and the ground doesn't help him secure the ball. I think Tony Corrente is exaggerating when he claims James "lost  complete control of the football". I maintain James kept control even if the ball moved and have seen this same type catch stand up under replay before.

Having said all that, the Steelers needed to make just one more play to win and didn't.  Davis should have caught that tipped pass.  Gronk should not have been running down the middle of the field uncovered, twice, on the final Pats** drive. James should have kept his feet after his catch and run into the endzone. Ben should have called a normal pass play with multiple receivers running routes instead of a fake spike and only Rogers running a route. The final pass should have been a fade to Bryant, who had about a foot height advantage on the CB covering him. Ben should have thrown the ball away when Rogers obviously didn't succeed in getting separation.

So refs aside, the Steelers lost this game because they didn't make any numbers of plays that would have won the game.

It's hard to argue with you on any point except if Ben ignores Haley/Tomlin and actually spikes the ball do you think Boswell misses a short FG? I don't and OT would give us another shot at pulling it out. That is on the coaching staff. Even if he spikes the ball to set up a better play it still makes sense to do that.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 am

Yeah, I don't disagree that a FG and OT would be better than that fake spike. But I don't have an issue with the team trying to get one more shot at a TD. I think they could have called a regular pass play and my opinion is a fade to Bryant or even a slant to James would have been a better option than a slant to your smallest receiver. Oh well, Ben has snuck those passes in before and it's worked out. It didn't work and I'm second guessing the call. Part of being a passionate fan.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
I'm pissed about the officiating since it was one sided. AV's holding penalty was ticky tack as he kept his body between the defender and the RB. Was it holding? Yes. But not something that draws a flag very often. On the flip side, I challenge anyone to watch the Patriots** final drive and point out any of the plays where the offensive line does not hold. I'm fine if you want to call ticky tack BS as long as your consistent, which the refs weren't.

James was robbed on the TD. The ground didn't help him maintain possession nor did he lose control. Does the ball move and does it hit the ground? Yes, but when you see it in full speed, it's obvious James does not lose control of the ball and the ground doesn't help him secure the ball. I think Tony Corrente is exaggerating when he claims James "lost  complete control of the football". I maintain James kept control even if the ball moved and have seen this same type catch stand up under replay before.

Having said all that, the Steelers needed to make just one more play to win and didn't.  Davis should have caught that tipped pass.  Gronk should not have been running down the middle of the field uncovered, twice, on the final Pats** drive. James should have kept his feet after his catch and run into the endzone. Ben should have called a normal pass play with multiple receivers running routes instead of a fake spike and only Rogers running a route. The final pass should have been a fade to Bryant, who had about a foot height advantage on the CB covering him. Ben should have thrown the ball away when Rogers obviously didn't succeed in getting separation.

Agreed on all counts. Whole thing just makes me sick as hell and I will still contend if this had been Gronk, they don't reverse it. I'm sorry but I've seen the league favor that team damn too much inconsistency including as you get during this very game to believe otherwise.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Moving forward, use this game as fuel to focus on the next two games, secure the bye week, then work on making everything leading up to the first game against either the 3, 4, or 5 seed (currently Jags, Chiefs, Titans).

All 3 teams are capable of beating the Steelers offensively, but only the Jags have the defense to keep it close.

IMO, last night's debacle will serve as fuel to drive this team to getting to the AFC Championship game.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:

Having said all that, the Steelers needed to make just one more play to win and didn't.  Davis should have caught that tipped pass. Gronk should not have been running down the middle of the field uncovered, twice, on the final Pats** drive. James should have kept his feet after his catch and run into the endzone. Ben should have called a normal pass play with multiple receivers running routes instead of a fake spike and only Rogers running a route. The final pass should have been a fade to Bryant, who had about a foot height advantage on the CB covering him. Ben should have thrown the ball away when Rogers obviously didn't succeed in getting separation.

where was the Safety? should of been 2 deep on Gronk the drop in the bucket passes Brady was throwing to Gronk could of been easy INTs. you would of thought after two Gronk catches the deep safety would be cheating towards Gronk. this is where I miss Polamalu in his prime complete one of those drop in the bucket passes to Gronk Troy would of INT. the second one.

the Steelers man coverage defense played really well the Steelers defensive play was night and day from last year to last night Steelers need a true free safety Mike Mitchell is a week link.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:46 pm

They aren't gonna beat us again if we play a 2nd time
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm

this was a hard loss but the Steelers were in the game to the end Steelers got a lot of film on their man coverage defense against the Pats*. for adjustments hopefully Haden will be back in the line up next Steelers vs Patriots* game.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
I'm pissed about the officiating since it was one sided. AV's holding penalty was ticky tack as he kept his body between the defender and the RB. Was it holding? Yes. But not something that draws a flag very often. On the flip side, I challenge anyone to watch the Patriots*** final drive and point out any of the plays where the offensive line does not hold. I'm fine if you want to call ticky tack BS as long as your consistent, which the refs weren't.

Having said all that, the Steelers needed to make just one more play to win and didn't.  Davis should have caught that tipped pass. Gronk should not have been running down the middle of the field uncovered, twice, on the final Pats*** drive. James should have kept his feet after his catch and run into the endzone. Ben should have called a normal pass play with multiple receivers running routes instead of a fake spike and only Rogers running a route. The final pass should have been a fade to Bryant, who had about a foot height advantage on the CB covering him. Ben should have thrown the ball away when Rogers obviously didn't succeed in getting separation.

where was the Safety? should of been 2 deep on Gronk the drop in the bucket passes Brady was throwing to Gronk could of been easy INTs. you would of thought after two Gronk catches the deep safety would be cheating towards Gronk. this is where I miss Polamalu in his prime complete one of those drop in the bucket passes to Gronk Troy would of INT. the second one.

the Steelers man coverage defense played really well the Steelers defensive play was night and day from last year to last night Steelers need a true free safety Mike Mitchell is a week link.

Here is the thing about Gronk. If you go back and check every time he cleared the line he pushed off but no call was made. I'm pretty sure even with the 5 yard rule pushing off is still pushing off. You're right though. We should have taken away Brady's safety valve.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Antonio Brown wrote:
even in adversity I can’t help but feel blessed. Thanks to everyone who reached out. This is a minor setback for me but not this team. The goal is still the same & I’m confident that we can & will achieve it. We may not have won the game yesterday but this TEAM made astatement
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Now that I've had time to reflect, I'm really not that upset about the loss. Sure, it sucks losing to the Patriots**, but it might be a blessing in disguise.

Despite their record, the Steelers haven't looked like a great team all season, barely beating teams like the Browns, Colts and Rodger-less Packers, and losing to the Bears. But thanks to yesterday's loss, and the way it occurred, they now have a huge chip on their shoulder, and that's when the Steelers are at their best.

As for losing homefield advantage, I think that's being overvalued. AFC chamionship games since 1994:

1994 Steelers lose to Chargers in Pittsburgh.
1995 Steelers beat Colts in Pittsburgh.
1997 Steelers lose to Broncos in Pittsburgh.
2001 Steelers lose to Patriots** in Pittsburgh.
2004 Steelers lose to Patriots** in Pittsburgh.
2005 Steelers beat Broncos in Denver.
2008 Steelers beat Ravens in Pittsburgh.
2010 Steelers beat Jets in Pittsburgh.
2016 Steelers lose to Patriots** in Foxborough.

Since 1994, the Steelers are 3-4 in championship games at home, and 1-1 on the road. Their odds of winning on the road are essentially the same as winning at home.

If the Steelers play the Patriots** again, it doesn't matter where the game is played. What matters is whether the Steelers show up to play. And this team historically has played well as the underdog with a chip on its shoulder.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
Now that I've had time to reflect, I'm really not that upset about the loss. Sure, it sucks losing to the Patriots***, but it might be a blessing in disguise.

Despite their record, the Steelers haven't looked like a great team all season, barely beating teams like the Browns, Colts and Rodger-less Packers, and losing to the Bears. But thanks to yesterday's loss, and the way it occurred, they now have a huge chip on their shoulder, and that's when the Steelers are at their best.

As for losing homefield advantage, I think that's being overvalued. AFC chamionship games since 1994:

1994 Steelers lose to Chargers in Pittsburgh.
1995 Steelers beat Colts in Pittsburgh.
1997 Steelers lose to Broncos in Pittsburgh.
2001 Steelers lose to Patriots*** in Pittsburgh.
2004 Steelers lose to Patriots*** in Pittsburgh.
2005 Steelers beat Broncos in Denver.
2008 Steelers beat Ravens in Pittsburgh.
2010 Steelers beat Jets in Pittsburgh.
2016 Steelers lose to Patriots*** in Foxborough.

Since 1994, the Steelers are 3-4 in championship games at home, and 1-1 on the road. Their odds of winning on the road are essentially the same as winning at home.

If the Steelers play the Patriots*** again, it doesn't matter where the game is played. What matters is whether the Steelers show up to play. And this team historically has played well as the underdog with a chip on its shoulder.

Yeah, I've kind of been thinking the same. Maybe had they won Sunday it may have been the sort of thing where the monkey was off their back. I feel like this may only serve to make them all the more determined in a game that matters the most. I know all the history, I know the Pats* don't' lose at home, and the Steelers can't beat them there. This team feels different...hopefully we can have AB, Haden, no more injuries. They are a talented, determined team, with something to prove. This likely is the team the Pats* least want to see in the postseason.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:

Yeah, I've kind of been thinking the same. Maybe had they won Sunday it may have been the sort of thing where the monkey was off their back. I feel like this may only serve to make them all the more determined in a game that  matters the most.

Exactly. Had they won Sunday, they likely would be going to the playoffs on an 11 game win streak (asuuming they beat the Texans and Browns). And like you said, the monkey would be off their backs. That's a recipe for the Steelers to be favored (a position they don't play well in) and quite possibly a bit overconfident. No, I prefer they go into the playoffs pissed off and with something to prove.

As I pointed out earlier, since 1994, the Steelers have lost more championship games at home than they've won. So having homefield advantage really isn't as important as the team's attitude. And I think that loss put them in a better place mentally than a win would have.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 am

With a lot of people, media and fans, it's hard to get past the idea that they absolutely can't win in NE. Again, we all know the history all too well. Sooner or later it's going to turn. The game yesterday makes me feel like we're getting closer to that point.

I like Mitchell's comments after the game: "more fuel for the fire". I used to have the idea the coaches and team didn't realize how badly the fanase despised and wanted to beat NE. I think the coaches and team may have passed us at this point. They seem to be tired of being second best. What better way to remove the monkey than go in there and beat them for a trip to the SB.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:33 am

If the Steelers play NE in the conference championship, I highly recommend they take a page from the Patriots* playbook and buy out the entire hotel. Oh, and have enough security to make sure there are no 3 a.m. fire alarm pulls. Kinda funny how the Pats* do things to prevent what happens to opposing teams that travel to Foxboro.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:46 am

Key for beating the Patriots* in Boston will be how healthy AB will be at that point.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:17 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
Key for beating the Patriots** in Boston will be how healthy AB will be at that point.

and Joe Haden.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 am

I'm with a few in this thread might be better in the long run that the Steelers lost Sunday.

as I hated the lost as they played a good game and came up short as a few has posted here and talking with a few other Steelers fans this loss should give the Steelers the underdog fire as in resent history is the spark that makes this team play hard.

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:14 am

Some interesting thinking from Gerry Dulac in his chat this week:

Still sick to my stomach: Gerry, can we please move on from taking about the Pats* game? Quite honestly, thinking about it still makes me want to puke. What can the Steelers do to improve over the next two games to excel in the playoffs?

Gerry Dulac: Do you think they really need to improve? If JJ doesn't drop that ball, would you be thinking they need to improve. They don't. They just need to stay healthy and do their job. If they do, they will end up back in the AFC championship game. And I'm not even going to say it will be in New England, because I believe the AFC title game will be in Heinz Field, anyway.

Jonathan Mason: Hey Gerry, love all the work you do for the Steelers. Since you think the AFC title game will be at Heinz Field, who do you think the Steelers opponent will be?
Gerry Dulac: I'm not that prescient.

John: AFC title game at Heinz Field anyway? Between Steelers and Baltimore?
Gerry Dulac: Could very well be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving Forward   

Back to top Go down

Moving Forward
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: