HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Ed Bouchette wrote:
Contrary to popular belief throughout New England, the Patriots* do have influence in the offices of the NFL.

His name is Alberto Riveron, and he is the NFL’s senior vice president of officiating.

Whether you agree (Patriots* fans) with his call Sunday night robbing Jesse James of a touchdown or not (Steelers fans), Riveron has helped decide three victories for New England just this season.

• New England’s Brandin Cooks caught a 25-yard touchdown pass with 23 seconds left to beat Houston 36-33 on Sept. 24. He caught the ball with both feet in the end zone but lost control as he hit the ground out of bounds. It was ruled a touchdown, and Riveron did not overturn it upon review.

An NFL source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Cooks’ catch remained a touchdown because there was no good video angle that showed him losing control of the ball when he hit the ground.

• New York Jets tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught a 4-yard touchdown pass against the Patriots*, and fumbled through the back of the end zone once he crossed the line. It was ruled a touchdown on the field. Riveron overturned it. The Patriots* got the ball at the 20. New England went on to win 24-17 on Oct 15.

• Then, Sunday night Jesse James caught a pass from Ben Roethlisberger over the middle, was never touched as his knee hit the ground, stretched the ball over the goal line and only then seemed to lose control of it. Riveron overturned the score, putting the ball back at the 10. New England won, 27-24.

The Jets and the Steelers were incensed by Riveron taking the touchdowns away. Both believe their receivers made “football moves” — a factor in the rule — before losing control of the ball. In addition, many Steelers do not believe there was enough evidence that James even did lose control to overturn it, as the replay rules require.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/18/alberto-riveron-nfl-senior-vice-president-of-officiating-Patriots*-calls-jesse-james/stories/201712180138
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 pm

next time the Steelers play the Patriots* but a heavy foot on the gas and don't let up until 00:00 is left on the game clock.

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I saw that. Suspicious as hell. I want to clobber them the next we play them. Those guys need to be humiliated at home.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 pm

@ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
I saw that. Suspicious as hell. I want to clobber them the next we play them. Those guys need to be humiliated at home.

And we can. Honestly after yesterday's game, I'm not convinced that these guys are better than us. We outplayed those guys, and really the only player on that team that worries me is gronk. Other than him, nothing really exceptional. If you get in Brady's face, he looks human.

Getting Haden back should definitely help in being able to cover the field and give help covering gronk. AB well, having the best in the business is always a big plus.

I was also happy with how Vince Williams and Spence did at ILB. Spence is no Shazier, but he and Fort played well enough to win imo.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
next time the Steelers play the Patriots*** but a heavy foot on the gas and don't let up until 00:00 is left on the game clock.

Bingo! The Steelers had the ball and a 5 point lead with less than 5 minutes to play. Instead of playing to win, they played to not lose and went 3 and out. They took their foot off the gas. You can get away with that against weak teams, but not teams like the Patriots**. If the offense had gone for the jugular, the Patriots** wouldn't have had a chance for a game winning drive. And we wouldn't be sitting here blaming the refs. The Patriots* didn't beat the Steelers. The refs didn't beat the Steelers. The Steelers beat the Steelers.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
next time the Steelers play the Patriots**** but a heavy foot on the gas and don't let up until 00:00 is left on the game clock.

Bingo! The Steelers had the ball and a 5 point lead with less than 5 minutes to play. Instead of playing to win, they played to not lose and went 3 and out. They took their foot off the gas. You can get away with that against weak teams, but not teams like the Patriots***. If the offense had gone for the jugular, the Patriots*** wouldn't have had a chance for a game winning drive. And we wouldn't be sitting here blaming the refs. The Patriots** didn't beat the Steelers. The refs didn't beat the Steelers. The Steelers beat the Steelers.

If Davis catches the easy INT we sit at 12-2 so there is a lot to be said there. IMO we shouldn't need to discuss the JJ bad call. We came up one play short. The other question I have. Why doidn't we have double coverage on Gronkowshit? This douchebag is the offensive version of Burfict.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:57 am

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/WATCH-Officials-give-Pittsburgh-Steelers-a-TD-on-a-play-similar-to-Jesse-James-score-back-in-2016-112426756

I guess because it was against any other team but the Patriots* it stood. Just another example of the mockery that is the Goodell era.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 am

Harbaugh thought Steelers won too:

Quote :
Those of us who don't sit on the Throne of Ease are still attempting to process how the Patriots* managed to win on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

New England certainly looked cooked after Jesse James crossed the goal line with the ball firmly in his grasp late in the fourth quarter, an apparent touchdown that moved the Steelers ahead of the Pats* in The Game Of The Year.

Minutes later, almost all of us learned that the arcane Catch Rule had wiped away James' heroics, a twist of fate that set the stage for Ben Roethlisberger's game-deciding interception. I say almost because one notable group was not plugged in on the game's surreal conclusion. That would be the Baltimore Ravens, whose team plane was on the tarmac when the feed for the game cut out right after James' dove into the end zone.

"When I got off the plane, I thought Pittsburgh had won," said Ravens coach John Harbaugh, according to ESPN.com. "It looked like it was a catch."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895288/article/john-harbaugh-thought-steelers-had-beaten-Patriots*
Back to top Go down
mscarmel0716
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/20/upon-further-review-the-rex-burkhead-touchdown-vs-the-steelers-shouldnt-have-counted/

In case anyone has not seen this pic...
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:12 pm

The holding on Davis during that Burkhead TD is exactly the same thing the officials called on A.V. I don't mind a non-call because the blocker's body is between the defender and the ball carrier and the hold really didn't make a difference. It would have been nice if the refs called this consistently. Or even had they thrown a flag on the Pats* during their final drive for any number of flagrant holds.

Oh well, it's the Steelers vs the world.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:15 pm

And they got another gimme today against the Bills. Something really stinks here. I hate to play CT but it's very curious.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:23 pm

Not to mention the fact there's photos out there showing that Jesse had his hand underneath the ball. Play never should've been overturned in the first place. They overturned the call without 100% evidence he dropped it. We won that game, plain and simple. Cooks does the same thing, except you can plainly see he dropped the ball and it gets ruled a touchdown... Bunch of bullshit homecooking that has me questioning the NFL overall.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:30 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Not to mention the fact there's photos out there showing that Jesse had his hand underneath the ball. Play never should've been overturned in the first place. They overturned the call without 100% evidence he dropped it. We won that game, plain and simple. Cooks does the same thing, except you can plainly see he dropped the ball and it gets ruled a touchdown... Bunch of bullshit homecooking that has me questioning the NFL overall.
It really is such blatant bs. And Pats* fans really think Goodell and the NFL are out to get them. Stupid paranoid bastards really have no idea that their team has been favored by Goodell from the start and it goes back to how he handled the Spygate tapes.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:51 pm

I used to defend the NFL when people said it was rigged, now I'm starting to believe that it is. At least to the point that they use officiating to influence the outcome of games.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Not to mention the fact there's photos out there showing that Jesse had his hand underneath the ball.

I've seen those photos, and Steelers fans are arguing that they're definitive proof that the ball didn't hit the ground. The problem is that everyone is ignoring the timing of the photos. Below is the moment when contact was made with the ground, and his hand is clearly not under the ball. The photos you referenced are from later in the sequence, when he regained control of the ball.

Regardless, the rule sucks and it's not called consistently. But it is what it is. I hope the Steelers use the loss as fuel that motivates them toward a Super Bowl run.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Mach1
Quest For Seven

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:56 am

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:42 pm

The argument isn't about the football hitting the ground. The argument is a player catching the ball and extending the ball and crossing the goal line. How can you extend a god damn ball and not caught it first? Play ended when the ball crossed the plain. Game, set match. Over.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:49 pm

@OX1947 wrote:
The argument isn't about the football hitting the ground. The argument is a player catching the ball and extending the ball and crossing the goal line. How can you extend a god damn ball and not caught it first? Play ended when the ball crossed the plain. Game, set match. Over.

Exactly. I only heard about it, and did not see it, but it seems there was another controversial TD pulled from the Bills yesterday.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 am

There were 2 bad calls. One was a completion for a TD (Bills) overturned. The other was a Gronkowshit catch where he crossed the plane but landed out of bounce and did not control the ball going to the ground.

FOR AN EXPLANATION SEE MACH1'S RULE SUMMARY!

That's a 14 point spread in favor of the cheats. Here's my bold prediction. We will go into Foxboro, kick their asses only to have the officials hand them the game. AGAIN!!!!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:32 am

Make that 4 wins for the Patriots* with the Benjamin catch/TD being overturned in their favor...Take away 4 wins from that team and they don't even make the playoffs!!

PostSubject: Re: NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season   

Back to top Go down

NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots* wins this season
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: