HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TollingtheBell26

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:26 pm

I think im gonna be sick
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:26 pm

That just makes me sick. I’ll always appreciate what Harrison did for the team but I want him to make Belichick look bad in the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 pm

@rellimie wrote:
@solardave wrote:
If he signs with them I'll loose all respect for him.

Why?  Guy wants to work and wants to win.  Steelers cut him, he didn't quit on the team.

Hines Ward was in a similar situation. He felt he had more in the tank, and there were rumors that he might sign with the Ravens. Most of us were sick over the thought of seeing Ward in a Ravens uniform. Instead, he decided to retire and said this ... “I don’t want to play in any other uniform. I will remain a Steeler for life.”

Polamalu is another recent example. They still wanted to play. But not for a team other than the Steelers. And especially not for a hated rival.

If Harrison was still in his prime or had 3 or 4 more good years in him, that would be one thing. But at his age, he should have followed in the footsteps of Troy and Hines and went out a Steeler.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:32 pm

An old wrestling reference.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Kinda makes sense for the Patriots*. Their front 7 is not all that good and they don't seem to have healthy pass rushers on their roster. At the end of the day, I'm not too worried about it. The Patriots* know what Harrison knows, so it's not like he's going to give them secrets. And the Steelers know Harrison. If the Pats* put Harrison on the field against the Steelers, good luck watching him try to cover Bell when they split him out in the slot.

From Harrison's perspective, he's got a shot at another ring and a few more games. He knows the end is in sight, so why not keep pounding until no one else is interested in your services?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@rellimie wrote:
@solardave wrote:
If he signs with them I'll loose all respect for him.

Why?  Guy wants to work and wants to win.  Steelers cut him, he didn't quit on the team.

Hines Ward was in a similar situation. He felt he had more in the tank, and there were rumors that he might sign with the Ravens. Most of us were sick over the thought of seeing Ward in a Ravens uniform. Instead, he decided to retire and said this ... “I don’t want to play in any other uniform. I will remain a Steeler for life.”

Polamalu is another recent example. They still wanted to play. But not for a team other than the Steelers. And especially not for a hated rival.

If Harrison was still in his prime or had 3 or 4 more good years in him, that would be one thing. But at his age, he should have followed in the footsteps of Troy and Hines and went out a Steeler.

I couldn't agree more. I immediately thought back to the Hines release/Baltimore rumor. I guess we don't know some of these guys as well as we think. I really thought Harrison would be the last player to go to NE. I wish he had pulled a Hines Ward. It's kind of ironic that he's out of Pittsburgh and in NE less than a week after they played. Another Blount going for a SB. NFL should have a rule like baseball that players can't play in postseason if they weren't on the roster before a certain point.

Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm

If the release was amicable as Harrison’s agent said, then I find it strange that he went to NE. Philly, the rams, I could understand but NE? Doesn’t seem amicable to me.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 am

Really hope Steelers do not regret their decision. Sure he did not play well this year. But still going to the enemy now.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 am

Article downplaying this at ESPN: Steelers seem unfazed by James Harrison's new role with Patriots**

For what it's worth some of the highlights:

Quote :
Harrison's signing with New England can impact the Steelers, since the player still has a few transferable skills on the field, but Steelers fans might be giving New England too much credit.

The likelihood of Harrison clinching a Patriots** Super Bowl berth with a Ben Roethlisberger sack is not very high.

He can still play, but this is mostly a matchup flier after the Steelers played him on just 40 snaps through 14 games.

Quote :
The reaction I got from a few Steelers people Tuesday night was mostly indifference while acknowledging the business side of football.

Quote :
Sure, Harrison might have inside information from Pittsburgh's locker room that could aid the Patriots**. But the Steelers largely believe the two teams know each other well enough, anyway, and the intel game can be overblown.

Quote :
New England might be signing Harrison more for another matchup, such as Kansas City in the divisional round. Harrison has had success against Chiefs left tackle Eric Fisher. This might not be about Pittsburgh at all.

Complete article here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/26662/steelers-dont-seem-concerned-with-james-harrison-as-unlikely-patriot
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 am

@kirklandrules wrote:
Kinda makes sense for the Patriots**. Their front 7 is not all that good and they don't seem to have healthy pass rushers on their roster. At the end of the day, I'm not too worried about it. The Patriots** know what Harrison knows, so it's not like he's going to give them secrets. And the Steelers know Harrison. If the Pats** put Harrison on the field against the Steelers, good luck watching him try to cover Bell when they split him out in the slot.  

From Harrison's perspective, he's got a shot at another ring and a few more games. He knows the end is in sight, so why not keep pounding until no one else is interested in your services?

And he won't have to worry about any more fines. Still I lost all respect for him doing this. To me it is the same as kissing Goodell's ring.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:43 am

They will use him for maybe 5-10 snaps a game. His real usage? INTEL. The coaching staff will grill him defensively AND offensively for intel on formations, plays, signal calling, anything he knows to get a competitive edge over the Steelers. Doubt it?? This is New England we are talking about remember. They'll do anything to win.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 pm

2 opposing views on this from Ben and Anthony Chickillo

Ben wrote:
“James has to do what James has to do,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s not like he called asked me if he should or not. James was out there as a free agent. He has to do what’s best for his family. I wish him the best. I had a lot of good years with him.”

Anthony Chickillo wrote:
Outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo wasn’t quite as diplomatic. When he was asked if he was mad Harrison signed with the Patriots**, he said: “There are a lot of different things, but he knows what he did.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/27/james-harrison-Patriots*-steelers-release-ben-roethlisberger-ashley-afc-championship/stories/201712270115
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:06 pm

As is often the case, there appears to be more to the story.
It's beginning to look like my suspicion was in the ballpark ...

@Wallace108 wrote:
The end of an era, but we shouldn't be surprised. I just wish they would have released him after the season. Then again, he seemed pretty disgruntled, so it's possible he was starting to be a distraction. That's just speculation.

A few quotes from teammates:

"If you didn't want to be here, come out and say it," Pouncey said. "Don't make it look like it's the team's fault ...You think the team and the organization wanted to get rid of James Harrison? Come on now. If I wanted out, I wouldn't let the team take the blame for it."

Added linebacker Bud Dupree: "I don't want the media to portray that we're the reason he left. That ain't the reason. He chose to leave. He made certain decisions and his actions got him to this circumstance."

Cornerback Artie Burns said Harrison's "energy" showed the team he was mad over a lack of playing time, which created "a whole thing with him and the guys upstairs," leading to his release.

Asked whether Harrison became a locker room distraction toward the end, Pouncey sent a message to the pass rusher.

"I don't care. Bye. Have fun," Pouncey said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21893214/multiple-pittsburgh-steelers-blast-james-harrison-forcing-exit

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I was giving harrison too much credit. I thought he had too much respect for himself and the team to pull something like this and it left me wondering why the team would release a legend. Does it seem ironic, fishy, to anyone else the way this played out less than a week after the 2 teams played?

I was worried this would demoralize the team but after reading today's comments it may pull them together.

I gained a lot of respect for Pouncey for his comments today. I also liked what Mitchell said.

Pouncey wrote:
"We're going to speak the truth, that's what it is," Pouncey said. "I want (backup B.J. Finney) to be the best offensive lineman. If he comes and takes my position, it is what it is ... I'm not going to complain about that. I'm very thankful for everything. I'm a man about everything. Any time I messed up, every time I never did anything, I stood up to everybody and told them. It is what it is. I'm not going to run from no one."

Mike Mitchell wrote:
Safety Mike Mitchell points out Harrison is a friend but adds about going to New England, "I probably wouldn't have done it for $59,000," citing Harrison's per-game average at the league's veteran minimum.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21893214/multiple-pittsburgh-steelers-blast-james-harrison-forcing-exit
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Marcus Gilbert
@MarcusGilbert88
truth will always come to light. But of course fans will jump to judgement. I get it

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 pm

James Harrison says he asked for release three times

By Nick Shook NFL.com
Published: Dec. 27, 2017

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000899438/article/james-harrison-says-he-asked-for-release-three-times

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 pm

From https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-player-gives-shocking-details-on-james-harrisons-final-days-in-pittsburgh/

Apparently, DuPree felt it was important to get the story because a lot of people have been ripping the Steelers over the past few days for cutting a veteran like Harrison. According to DuPree, the Steelers wanted to keep him, but he made it impossible.

"People going in on coach [Mike] Tomlin, saying the Steelers are stupid for cutting James Harrison, the Steelers are dumb, [Harrison's] gonna tell the whole -- if he tells the whole playbook, that's his fault," DuPree said. "I didn't see him in meetings, so I don't know if he knows the plays or not."

The Steelers linebacker believes that Harrison signed with New England as a way to spite the Steelers.

"It feels like he went to the Patriots* just to spit in Coach Tomlin and Mr. Rooney's face. That's all it was to us," Dupree said. "Like basically you spit on your teammates, you spit on us because the whole season you've been shown as someone different than what you were supposed to, so-called, be to us -- other than a leader."

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 pm

DuPree doesn't mince any words there. Hard to believe how this played out. It's incredible how someone who most of us considered a living legend really turned out to be. Maybe this gives the team a little more incentive in a playoff rematch.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
DuPree doesn't mince any words there. Hard to believe how this played out. It's incredible how someone who most of us considered a living legend really turned out to be. Maybe this gives the team a little more incentive in a playoff rematch.

Yep. And a lot of things are starting to make sense now. Like why he was deactivated for numerous games. The Steelers didn't make this move based only on a week or two of bad behavior. Apparently, Harrison has been a problem for some time.

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 pm

LOOK: Irate Steelers fans are burning and trashing their James Harrison jerseys
James Harrison isn't a very popular person in Pittsburgh right now

There are two types of people in this world, people who burn their jerseys after one of their favorite players signs with a hated rival and people who don't. This story is about that first group.

Less than 24 hours after James Harrison made the decision to sign with the Patriots*, dozens of Steelers fans decided to take their anger out by burning Harrison's jersey and then sharing a video of it on social media.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-irate-steelers-fans-are-burning-and-trashing-their-james-harrison-jerseys/
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:48 pm

lol at DuPree's 2nd comment. I'm glad the players spoke up in the end.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Really disappointing that he acted this way and could be rewarded with a ring. I really want to beat him and NE now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   

Back to top Go down

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: