HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:38 pm

before Shaziers injury the Steelers LBs looked damn good after his injury the Steelers LBs are slow and not that good because the next man up is slow and not close to be starting players.

it is time to rebuild the Steelers LBs from a 3-4 to 4-3 LBs.

why send 2 to 3 years converting a light 4-3 d-lineman into a 3-4 OLB ? when there are so many fast fast 4-3 LBs coming out of college now?

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 am

This is interesting from Ray Fittipaldi and would make Iowa happy as a clam:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/14/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-mock-draft-Rashaan-Evans-Ronnie-Harrison-Quin-Blanding-DeShon-Elliott-Josey-Jewell-Daesean-Hamilton/stories/201802140045
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 am

Do you know who I want? Mike Gesicki from Penn State.

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/16/nfl-draft-prospect-of-the-day-penn-state-te-mike-gesicki/
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am

@jak341 wrote:
Do you know who I want? Mike Gesicki from Penn State.

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/16/nfl-draft-prospect-of-the-day-penn-state-te-mike-gesicki/

Here is what Walter football has to say about him: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.php

I'd be OK picking him in the 3rd or 4th but if you're thinking #1 I disagree. We have more pressing needs like ILB.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am

No, not #1. I am hoping he falls to us in the late 3rd.

We do need an ILB, that is true.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 pm

@jak341 wrote:
No, not #1. I am hoping he falls to us in the late 3rd.

We do need an ILB, that is true.

I think we need a viable TE. MacDonald stays hurt and JJ is a backup. I think he could very well be there in the 3rd. I saw we don't have a 4th rd or a 6th rd pick. That only gives us 5 picks total.That doesn't seem right but if it is we may not be able to address the TE position this year. If MacDonald can stay healthy he could help us out of this bind.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Feb. 15, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:33 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

Damn it, he got my man Leighton Van Der Esch as third on his ILB list. He's going in the second round in a lot of mock drafts, but I believe he's the best linebacker in this draft. He's very versatile and a freak athlete. It's still 2 months to the draft and his stock will rise a lot if he kills it at the combine, which I think he will. If he does that he will be gone before 28. I hope he will have some minor injury at the combine and fell right into the Steelers' laps.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:41 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst

Damn it, he got my man Leighton Van Der Esch as third on his ILB list. He's going in the second round in a lot of mock drafts, but I believe he's the best linebacker in this draft. He's very versatile and a freak athlete. It's still 2 months to the draft and his stock will rise a lot if he kills it at the combine, which I think he will. If he does that he will be gone before 28. I hope he will have some minor injury at the combine and fell right into the Steelers' laps.

I don't know much about him but if he is what you say he is I'd rather see his stock stay low through the combine and hope Tomlin,Colbert see him as our #1 if he's there. They compare him to Carlos Dansby here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/leighton-vander%20esch?id=2560232
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 am

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst

I don't know much about him but if he is what you say he is I'd rather see his stock stay low through the combine and hope Tomlin,Colbert see him as our #1 if he's there. They compare him to Carlos Dansby here:

It's just my opinion of course and everyone has his favorites. So many so called experts and more are wrong than right, myself included
I like this part of the profile in your link in particular:

Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high.

With only 1 year as a starter he was very productive with a lot of tackles, 4 sacks and 3 interceptions. He's problem right now is coming off blocks, but he has the body to become a lot stronger. He has all the physical tools to make it: speed, length and strength and it seems that he has the right instincts too.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst

It's just my opinion of course and everyone has his favorites. So many so called experts and more are wrong than right, myself included
I like this part of the profile in your link in particular:

Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high.

With only 1 year as a starter he was very productive with a lot of tackles, 4 sacks and 3 interceptions. He's problem right now is coming off blocks, but he has the body to become a lot stronger. He has all the physical tools to make it: speed, length and strength and it seems that he has the right instincts too.

coming off blocks will improve with coaching more weight room time the loose hips, speed, and length is what I like he'll get stronger.

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm

2018 NFL Mock Draft

by Chris Trapasso
CBSSports.com

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. Evans is a big-hitting Alabama linebacker with impressive movement skills. He's precisely what the Steelers defense needs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-to-giants-usc-rb-ronald-jones-lands-with-eagles/

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 am

Mayock: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch Would Be ‘Great Fit’ For Steelers

By Dave Bryan February 26, 2018 at 03:51 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers will almost assuredly spend an early selection in the 2018 NFL Draft on an inside linebacker due to the serious spine injury suffered last season by starter Ryan Shazier. Because of that position being high on the Steelers need list this year, NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked during his annual pre-combine conference call with the media to name a player that might still be on the board in the first-round when Pittsburgh picks 28th overall.

“A guy that I’m really intrigued by, and I need to do more work on, is Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State,” Mayock said after first noting that he expects top inside linebacker prospects Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith to already be selected come the Steelers 28th overall pick in the first-round. “If you put his tape on against Oregon, which I believe was his bowl game, it was as good of an off-the-ball linebacker tape as I’ve seen in years. He goes sideline to sideline, he’s great in the pass game, he’s one of those guys that naturally slips under or over blocks to make the play.”

Rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/mayock-boise-state-ilb-leighton-vander-esch-great-fit-steelers/
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am

@Stella Nation wrote:

The Pittsburgh Steelers will almost assuredly spend an early selection in the 2018 NFL Draft on an inside linebacker due to the serious spine injury suffered last season by starter Ryan Shazier. Because of that position being high on the Steelers need list this year, NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked during his annual pre-combine conference call with the media to name a player that might still be on the board in the first-round when Pittsburgh picks 28th overall.

“A guy that I’m really intrigued by, and I need to do more work on, is Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State,” Mayock said after first noting that he expects top inside linebacker prospects Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith to already be selected come the Steelers 28th overall pick in the first-round. “If you put his tape on against Oregon, which I believe was his bowl game, it was as good of an off-the-ball linebacker tape as I’ve seen in years. He goes sideline to sideline, he’s great in the pass game, he’s one of those guys that naturally slips under or over blocks to make the play.”

Rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/mayock-boise-state-ilb-leighton-vander-esch-great-fit-steelers/
So Stella, if I got this right, you really like Vander Exch.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Rest of article:

And it seems like I'm not the only one
His 40 time will be important though... if he's slow, he's Matakevich 2.0
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:30 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Rest of article:

I like the little bit that I've seen of Vander Esch. For a lankier guy, he's not slow, so you won't have to worry about a poor 40 time (close to 4.6 or maybe just under). At 6'4" he covers a lot of space in the passing game. If you watch tape of him, you'll notice he has the tendency to tackle at or near the level of the ball. Even though he doesn't always come through with a big hit, he's hitting the ball carrier near the football and has a better chance of causing a fumble.

I'm still in the camp of Jerome Baker (based on his speed, pass coverage, playmaking ability and his instincts), but there are guys like Vander Esch who could become very good players for the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm

@kirklandrules wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Rest of article:

I like the little bit that I've seen of Vander Esch. For a lankier guy, he's not slow, so you won't have to worry about a poor 40 time (close to 4.6 or maybe just under). At 6'4" he covers a lot of space in the passing game. If you watch tape of him, you'll notice he has the tendency to tackle at or near the level of the ball. Even though he doesn't always come through with a big hit, he's hitting the ball carrier near the football and has a better chance of causing a fumble.

I'm still in the camp of Jerome Baker (based on his speed, pass coverage, playmaking ability and his instincts), but there are guys like Vander Esch who could become very good players for the Steelers.

as a Buckeyes fan I've seen a lot of Baker on the football field impressed the first time he stepped on the field like no drop in play at the LB position he took over.

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah as sadly that Shazier is not going to be playing in 2018. Per NFL.com

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Rest of article:

as a Buckeyes fan I've seen a lot of Baker on the football field impressed the first time he stepped on the field like no drop in play at the LB position he took over.

I believe that Baker is excellent for college football, but I believe that his lack of strength will cause problems in the NFL. Especially against the run where RB's are bigger and stronger than in college. I don't see a (future) starter in him, maybe a quality back-up. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
@kirklandrules wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

Rest of article:

I believe that Baker is excellent for college football, but I believe that his lack of strength will cause problems in the NFL. Especially against the run where RB's are bigger and stronger than in college. I don't see a (future) starter in him, maybe a quality back-up. But that's just my opinion.

to me he is more of 4-3 OLB.

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 am

Leighton Vander Esch: Playing for Steelers 'would mean everything'

INDIANAPOLIS — An inside linebacker with first-round potential, Boise State's Leighton Vander Esch has relished his chance to meet this week with NFL general managers, coaches and talent evaluators.

He relished his get-together with the Steelers more than most.

Just ask him.

“That one was really enjoyable,” Vander Esch said Saturday at the NFL Combine. “I loved it. It was a great time meeting the coaches and the organization. It was an absolute blast.”

Several NFL Draft analysts have predicted the Steelers will select Vander Esch with the No. 28 overall selection April 26. Vander Esch and Alabama's Rashaan Evans are inside linebackers most associated with the Steelers in the first round since the loss of Ryan Shazier, who won't play in 2018 because of his spinal cord injury.

“It would mean everything to play for an organization like the Steelers and the reputation the defense has,” Vander Esch said. “It would be pretty special. It would be awesome.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13372555-74/linebacker-prospect-leighton-vander-esch-playing-for-steelers-would-mean-everything

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 pm

after watching vander esch's interview, for some reason he reminds me of tj watt. they are about identical size , and both had limited starting experience , they both are bring your lunch pale to work kinda guys. watt seems to be working out just fine , so why not take a chance on this guy ?

their combine stats

40 yard dash - watt 4.69......vander 4.65
bench-............watt 21.........vander 20
vertical jump-...watt 37........vander..39.5
broad jump......watt 128.......vander 124
3 cone.............watt 6.79......vander..6.88
20 yd shuttle....watt 4.13......vander ..4.15
60 yd shuttle....watt..11.20...vander..11.57

watt -..6.4....252 lbs
vander 6-4...256 lbs

watt had a combine grade of 5.88
VE has a grade of 6.18
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
after watching vander esch's interview, for some reason he reminds me of tj watt. they are about identical size , and both had limited starting experience , they both are bring your lunch pale to work kinda guys. watt seems to be working out just fine , so why not take a chance on this guy ?

their combine stats

40 yard dash - watt 4.69......vander 4.65
bench-............watt 21.........vander 20
vertical jump-...watt 37........vander..39.5
broad jump......watt 128.......vander 124
3 cone.............watt 6.79......vander..6.88
20 yd shuttle....watt 4.13......vander ..4.15
60 yd shuttle....watt..11.20...vander..11.57

watt -..6.4....252 lbs
vander 6-4...256 lbs

watt had a combine grade of 5.88
VE has a grade of 6.18

here are 2 big athletic 4-3 OLBs who would be great against the run, blitz, and drop in to coverage now put big ole 267 lbs Dupree as the MLB. LOL

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:27 am

@solardave wrote:
This is interesting from Ray Fittipaldi and would make Iowa happy as a clam:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/14/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-mock-draft-Rashaan-Evans-Ronnie-Harrison-Quin-Blanding-DeShon-Elliott-Josey-Jewell-Daesean-Hamilton/stories/201802140045

You betcha I'd love to see The Outlaw Josey Jewell wear the Steelers Black and Gold. Hell they could just sew some patches on his Iowa jersey and call it good!

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 am

My global thoughts on this draft class:

QB: Extremely deep with a lot of quality, but not a clear number 1 for me. The big 5 who will go in the first round all have their strenghts and weaknesses. No guarantee that any of them will be a franchise QB and at the same time they all can be. Also some interesting prospects in the lower rounds (Falk, Rudolph, Shimonek, Lauletta,...).

RB: Very deep with a clear number 1 and a couple others who could/will be drafted in the first round. I think teams can find a decent RB#2 until round 5.

WR: A lot of mediocre WR's who will go in the middle rounds (3-5). Some better WR's will go earlier, but I'm missing a special player. It would surprise me if a WR would be drafted before the Ravens at 16 and not sure if they pick one here.

TE: Pretty deep. I don't see a first rounder in this class, but a lot of good ones in the later rounds. I hope one falls to us in round 5.

OL: Not so deep, but a lot of high quality players both on the inside and outside. I think a lot will go in the first 2 rounds.

DE/OLB: A very deep group like Colbert said, but outside of Chubb I don't see a special player. Maybe some other first rounders like Davenport, but I think a lot of them will go in rounds 2-3.

ILB: Good class imo with 4 first-rounders (Edmunds, Smith, Evans, Vander Esch). I hope Evans or VDE falls into our laps at 28. Also some nice players in the later rounds (Leonard, Jewell, Cichy)

DT/NT: Very strong class with Vea, Payne, Hurst, Settle and Bryant and also quite deep.

CB: Very strong and deep class with a lot of first rounders. It's a shame we don't need a CB since we need to focus on keeping a leader like Haden and we already have 4 young CB's that we need to develop. It's a shame that this quality wasn't available 2 years ago when we drafted Burns.

S: Some very good players, but overall I don't like this group so much. Regardless of that I hope we draft two of them in the first three rounds if the right players are still available.

For us at 28, I think we pick one of these 4 players: Evans, Vander Esch, Reid or Harrison (in that order) with an outside chance to take one of the 5 QB's if one of them is still available (but I don't see that happen). If so I hope it to be Darnold, Allen or Jackson. I don't like Rosen or Mayfield, but that's more because of character issues than talent.

If one of these players isn't available at 28, it's better to trade down but that's something the Steelers rarely/never do. I really don't see other interesting players at a position of need worthy a first round pick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft   

Back to top Go down

Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: