HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

FA and it's impact on the Steelers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:45 am

Tahir Whitehead signed a 3 year 6 million deal with the Raiders. You gotta be fucking kidding me
All that's left is some old over the top and/or injury prone players like NaVorro Bowman, Derrick Johnson, Karlos Dansby, Brian Cushing and Lawrence Timmons. The only signing I might like a bit would be Gerald Hodges. And Zach Brown of course but I would be surprised that we could afford him.
With Colbert saying that the ILB group in the draft is weak you would expect that they tried to address this is FA, but no...
The only thing we can hope now is that Evans or Vander Esch is still there at 28 and that he will be the choice. But even then, you've only replaced an All-pro with a rookie while even before Shazier's injury we were already thin at the position.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
I don't want to set my expectations too high, but with any luck, maybe the Steelers will sign a special teams guy this week. Or maybe a few camp bodies. A fan can dream.

Seriously

Ok, Matthew Slater is about the only special teams player I know from other teams. He's really good, but even then... We have much bigger needs I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Well, with the signings of Bostic and Burnett (the 2 new killer B's ) all is possible now in round 1. BPA from OL (depth needed here), ILB (upgrade for VW/Bostic), FS (depth/upgrade for Davis), OLB (upgrade for Dupree), QB (Someone who can develop a couple of years behind Ben), WR (depth needed), NT (upgrade for Hargrave), RB (to take over from Bell in 2019), TE (upgrade for McDonald/James). It's going to be an interesting draft. We have a lot of needs (mostly depth) so I wouldn't mind a trade down unless a high caliber player drops to 28 (Barkley, Chubb, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Nelson, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Edmunds, Vea, Davenport), but the Steelers usually don't trade down (in any round).
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:33 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
Well, with the signings of Bostic and Burnett (the 2 new killer B's ) all is possible now in round 1. BPA from OL (depth needed here), ILB (upgrade for VW/Bostic), FS (depth/upgrade for Davis), OLB (upgrade for Dupree), QB (Someone who can develop a couple of years behind Ben), WR (depth needed), NT (upgrade for Hargrave), RB (to take over from Bell in 2019), TE (upgrade for McDonald/James). It's going to be an interesting draft. We have a lot of needs (mostly depth) so I wouldn't mind a trade down unless a high caliber player drops to 28 (Barkley, Chubb, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Nelson, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Edmunds, Vea, Davenport), but the Steelers usually don't trade down (in any round).

Definitely can feel better about them going BPA now hard to say what they will shoot for at this point though. I am pretty stoked with the Bostic and Burnett signings I think Bostic is really going to make this D better and  shock some people if he can stay healthy. Burnett is an instant upgrade and makes,the midfield damn good.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:34 am

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-giants-replace-jpp-with-bradley-chubb-cardinals-move-up-to-grab-josh-allen/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/mock-draft-sam-darnold-browns-bills-trade-giants-josh-allen-broncos-trade-browns-baker-mayfield
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:14 pm

i wouldn't at all be surprised if the steelers took a RB at #28. if they don't sign bell , he is outta there after the season. that is of course if they have one that high on their board.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i wouldn't at all be surprised if the steelers took a RB at #28. if they don't sign bell , he is outta there after the season. that is of course if they have one that high on their board.

I wouldn't either. I still don't understand not placing the "non-exclusive" tag on him. An extra #1 this year would be great if Bell walks. I don't think a trade is an option. What else is there: let him walk and get little or nothing for him except a cap hit?
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:15 pm

If you trade him there is no cap hit because his salary is all base salary from the tag.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 pm

@Crash wrote:
If you trade him there is no cap hit because his salary is all base salary from the tag.

Trade him to who was what I meant. There's a bunch of good RBs coming out and a rookie contract will be a fraction of what Bell would cost. I'm not saying there is no team crazy enough to trade for him but I can't think of one who would benefit long term with Bell.

I think they screwed up big time by not using the non-exclusive tag.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:28 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

I wouldn't either. I still don't understand not placing the "non-exclusive" tag on him. An extra #1 this year would be great if Bell walks. I don't think a trade is an option. What else is there: let him walk and get little or nothing for him except a cap hit?
well he hasn't signed the tag so therefor until he does he is not steelers "property" to trade.
i seen a chat with jerry dulac , and someone brought up trading him, and dulac said he has no trade value because very few if any would want to take on his demanded contract.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Steelers put Bell talks on hold to concentrate on the draft and free agency.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 am

This is looking more and more like a bad Divorce. We don't get custody but have to pay child support.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:18 am

The local morning show played some of the Colbert interview by Missi Matthews (Steelers.com beat writer). Some interesting points, besides the awful EDM music in the background:
  • Bell's contract extension is on hold past FA and even past the draft. No action is expected until then.
  • The FA and the draft may necessitate termination of more player contracts.
  • Steelers won't commit yet to picking up Dupree's 5th. However, they expect a breakout season from him this year. Feel as if injury has been holding him back.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 pm

@jak341 wrote:
The local morning show played some of the Colbert interview by Missi Matthews (Steelers.com beat writer). Some interesting points, besides the awful EDM music in the background:

• Bell's contract extension is on hold past FA and even past the draft. No action is expected until then.
  • The FA and the draft may necessitate termination of more player contracts.
  • Steelers won't commit yet to picking up Dupree's 5th. However, they expect a breakout season from him this year. Feel as if injury has been holding him back.

this is smart they might find another free agent deal and how the draft follows.

in reality the Steelers offense is a very good passing game and o-line I like Bell and what he can do on the field but they don't need a 14 million dollar salary cap hit on a RB. what I have read Fichtner's offense core running plays are power off tackle run plays with pass option off of those running plays. so a pass catching RB might not be as important as the way Haley used Bell.

maybe the Steelers have a couple of RBs in the draft who fits that mold and if one falls to them Bell might not be needed with his high salary cap hit.

over the years the Steelers offense was been a bigger RB who could run off tackle, Chuck Noll put the off tackle play in the Steelers offense with a athletic o-line to set up the inside trap run. Cowher's offensive running game was off tackle run game with a power / trap inside run game. but Koll or Cowher never gave their QBs the option to use the off tackle run play as play action. which imo adds another layer to the off tackle play.

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm

A few more follow up points from the afternoon sports show:
  • Steelers draft could go anyway with 1st Round. Could be ILB, QB, RB, or OLB.
  • Steelers looking long and hard at Mason Rudolph.
  • If Steelers draft RB, Conner may be odd man out.
  • Steelers not 100% sold on Dupree. May go OLB 1st, if a player is available. Host seemed to think whatever magic the Steelers had for drafting OLB is gone.
  • Safety need seems to have diminished.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm

I am ok with them snagging the BPA at either RB, ILB, OLB, CB, or DL (Nose GuardJ. I really think we need a run stuffing NG for first and second down someone in the Big Snack mold if there is one out there. The type of guy that demands to be double teamed so the LBs can crash down and disrupt.

When we were the most feared and consistent defense in the 3-4 we had a dominant NG that set up everything for the front seven.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 am

I've been saying for 3 years we need our future QB but I don't know if any this year warrant a #1. Especially any one left at #28. Sounds to me like the FO thinks Rudolph is worth it.

jak341 I don't see Connor as odd man out if he shows he can learn to pick up the blitz. He has speed and power to get around the edge. Something Bell never had.

I still would like to see ILB @#1. Almost all of the other positions mentioned can be addressed in the middle rounds except QB. I think the days of 2 down NT are over. We need big run stuffing ILBs. It would be nice to have a safety that can cover TEs so we don't have to worry about the Gronkowshits of the league.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I am ok with them snagging the BPA at either RB, ILB, OLB, CB, or DL (Nose GuardJ. I really think we need a run stuffing NG for first and second down someone in the Big Snack mold if there is one out there. The type of guy that demands to be double teamed so the LBs can crash down and disrupt.

When we were the most feared and consistent defense in the 3-4 we had a dominant NG that set up everything for the front seven.

thank you ! been saying that for month and nobody has agreed. in fact some disagreed. the steel curtain turned into aluminum foil once we lost hampton. if Da'ron Pain is there at # 28, i want him ! he is possibly a better version of casey hampton. the guy ran a 4.95 at 311 lbs. compared to hamptons 5.25.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
I don't want to set my expectations too high, but with any luck, maybe the Steelers will sign a special teams guy this week. Or maybe a few camp bodies. A fan can dream.

Steelers sign free agent Nat Berhe

Nat Berhe, a special teams player from the New York Giants, announced he is joining the Steelers as a free agent.

Berhe, who visited the Steelers on Monday, thanked the Steelers on Twitter and said “Let’s bring home a Super Bowl.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/04/Steelers-sign-free-agent-Nat-Berhe/stories/201804040176
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:

Steelers sign free agent Nat Berhe

Nat Berhe, a special teams player from the New York Giants, announced he is joining the Steelers as a free agent.

Berhe, who visited the Steelers on Monday, thanked the Steelers on Twitter and said “Let’s bring home a Super Bowl.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/04/Steelers-sign-free-agent-Nat-Berhe/stories/201804040176

Like this signing. Should be able to fill Robert Golden's Special Teams role nicely. Hopefully he can stay healthy, from what I've seen that's about the biggest knock against Berhe.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FA and it's impact on the Steelers   

Back to top Go down

FA and it's impact on the Steelers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: