HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:02 am

Quote :
The Steelers are in a funny little game of chicken with their superstar running back Le'Veon Bell. Bell has been given the franchise tag for the second year in a row and, just like last year, sounds like he isn't going to just show up as if he was under contract.
GM Kevin Colbert said at the owners' meetings the team is hitting the pause button on negotiations with Bell, certainly through free agency and probably through the draft. Even if Colbert didn't expressly say it, there is an idea here that the Steelers could draft a running back early as a potential replacement for Bell.
The news they are meeting with LSU running back Derrius Guice, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, is extremely interesting.

Remember that Bell, back in 2013, was a second-round pick for Pittsburgh. The Steelers are not afraid to pull the trigger on a running back early if the talent warrants the selection.

But there is definitely an opportunity to increase the Steelers' leverage in contract talks by both meeting with running back prospects and by drafting a running back early.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-reportedly-meeting-with-derrius-guice-potential-first-round-leveon-bell-replacement/

looks like the Steelers are done with Bell the Steelers can easily replace Bell using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 am

I think Guice would fit in fine with us if we can snag him. As good as Bell is his attitude and inflated self worth have become a real problem. I think he sees himself as a pioneer for RBs. Paving the way to what? Making the RB position more important and higher paid than QB. honestly at this point if Bell walks I wouldn't even wish him luck. To me he falls into the same category as Harrison. Sell-out.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 am

The only thing I would hate more than drafting a QB like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph in round 1 is drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds and here is why:

1. Way bigger needs (ILB, FS, NT, OLB, WR depth, TE, OL depth)
2. Drafting a RB early would mean giving up on both Bell and Conner. It would mean that you don't believe that you can get a long term deal done with Bell and that you don't see Conner as his replacement. You would have 2 options with Bell: rescind the tag, something very uncharacteristic for the Steelers or keeping him. Keeping him is paying him $14.5M and he will probably say fuck you the second he signes the tag and he will play with very little effort, not risking an injury and knowing he will be gone to another team where he will make money next year.
3. Outside Saquon Barkley, there's no other RB worthy a first-round pick.

Placing the exclusive tag on Bell was a big mistake, but drafting his replacement now would be even worse.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:30 pm

don't think the Steelers are giving up on Conner it is if the Steelers draft a RB 1 they are saying Bell is not long term. 2 drafting a RB the Steelers let Bell hit the free market and let Bell see what his worth really is then if the Steelers really want to sign him to what the highest bidder will pay. 3 during the draft the Steelers do some wheeling and dealing with Bell and draft pick.

I know the other position of need are.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

here more fuel for the fire.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/3/28/17173436/report-leveon-bell-continues-make-headlines-requests-antonio-brown-type-money-from-steelers-rumors

Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 am

@effyou515 wrote:
3 during the draft the Steelers do some wheeling and dealing with Bell and draft pick.

He has to sign the tender first.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:11 am

You can trade his rights.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:45 pm

@solardave wrote:
I think Guice would fit in fine with us if we can snag him. As good as Bell is his attitude and inflated self worth have become a real problem. I think he sees himself as a pioneer for RBs. Paving the way to what? Making the RB position more important and higher paid than QB. honestly at this point if Bell walks I wouldn't even wish him luck. To me he falls into the same category as Harrison. Sell-out.

It's not like anything he does makes him anything new. He's  an above average RB with good blocking and receiving skills, without the home run threat. I'd take Jamaal Charles in his prime or Todd Gurley over Bell any day. He's already been offered more $$ than the rest of the RB market without even being the best. He should be grateful.

Anyway if we can snag Guice I'd be ecstatic, Bell's drama is something I'm sick of to be quite honest
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 am

Swell.

https://twitter.com/LeVeonBell/status/979463710250098688
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:01 am

🙄

I'm just about, almost, really close to being done with Bell.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 am

He's an ungrateful moron.

Or he's just plain stupid.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:20 pm

@Crash wrote:

Or both.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Steelers drafted two players out of Michigan State in resent memory Plex and Bell both turned out to be head cases.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 pm

He sure isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed that’s for damn sure... lol
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Crash wrote:

Or both.

I vote both.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Here is to hoping they take the exclusive tag off Bell and we can get some picks for him. Been done with Bell for some time now but with every tweet he puts out it just keeps solidifying my belief he is a cancer for this team.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Here is to hoping they take the exclusive tag off Bell and we can get some picks for him. Been done with Bell for some time now but with every tweet he puts out it just keeps solidifying my belief he is a cancer for this team.
doesn't work that way.

Quote :
Can the Steelers Trade Bell?

Given that the trade deadline has already passed for the 2017 season and that Le’Veon Bell is not under contract for the 2018 season, the Steelers can not currently trade him. In order to trade Bell, they would have to come to some kind of contract agreement with him (either a long-term deal or a franchise tag) first. It would be ill-advised for the Steelers to sign Bell to a long-term deal and then trade him. While these “sign-and-trade” agreements are popular in other sports, they would not work in the NFL. If the Steelers signed Bell to a long-term deal and then traded him, the Steelers would be responsible for all of his signing bonus money and it would all count as dead money against the Salary Cap. Players are permitted to be traded after they have received the Franchise Tag. Most recently, this happened when New England placed a Franchise Tag on backup QB Matt Cassel then traded him to the Kansas City Chiefs. However, it is worth noting that Bell would have to sign his Franchise Tag before the Steelers would be able to trade him, which is something that did not happen last year until after the conclusion of Training Camp. In both respects, trading Le’Veon Bell would be an incredibly difficult proposition.
http://steelcityblitz.com/steelers-options-leveon-bell/
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:38 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
doesn't work that way.

Quote :

Given that the trade deadline has already passed for the 2017 season and that Le’Veon Bell is not under contract for the 2018 season, the Steelers can not currently trade him. In order to trade Bell, they would have to come to some kind of contract agreement with him (either a long-term deal or a franchise tag) first. It would be ill-advised for the Steelers to sign Bell to a long-term deal and then trade him. While these “sign-and-trade” agreements are popular in other sports, they would not work in the NFL. If the Steelers signed Bell to a long-term deal and then traded him, the Steelers would be responsible for all of his signing bonus money and it would all count as dead money against the Salary Cap. Players are permitted to be traded after they have received the Franchise Tag. Most recently, this happened when New England placed a Franchise Tag on backup QB Matt Cassel then traded him to the Kansas City Chiefs. However, it is worth noting that Bell would have to sign his Franchise Tag before the Steelers would be able to trade him, which is something that did not happen last year until after the conclusion of Training Camp. In both respects, trading Le’Veon Bell would be an incredibly difficult proposition.

This quote should be made a sticky on every forum I've seen. Most people doesn't seem to know that Bell can't be traded until he signs the frachise tag. The Steelers shot themselves in their feet the moment they put the exclusive franchise tag on Bell. The only options they have now if they don't want another drama-Bell filled off-season is either rescind the tag (I don't see them do that) or agree to a long-term deal with him (I don't see that happen). In other words, we're fucked and we need to live with his dipshit comments for another year.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:22 am

even if the Steelers draft a RB they still need Bell for one more year. I know the defense needs help but I would like the Steelers to draft a starter quality RB then try to negotiate with Bell for next season.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:46 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
doesn't work that way.

Quote :

I thought the team could swap the tag from exclusive to non-exclusive when they chose? Wish they would have done that out of the block... oh well stuck with the douche for another year... run his wheels off Tomlin!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:44 am

My problem with Bell's twitter comment is that football players are not heroes. A hero in my book is someone that sacrifices of themselves for other, or for their country and the greater good. Playing a football game isn't enough in and of itself to be calling yourself a hero. Firefighters, Police, Corrections, EMS, the Military... Those are heroes. Those are people who go to work every day trying to save lives, protect lives, and they give back to their country and their communities. They are more often than not criminally underpaid. They don't get to make 15 million dollars on a franchise tag and have enough money to retire for the rest of their lives.

That being said there are football players that go out and spend a ton of time helping their communities and what not. JJ Watt is a hero in my book. Pat Tillman was a hero. Those kinds of people are heroes. Not some running back that's trying to be paid way above market because of his ego. Not some doofus that can't quit publicly whining to the media about his contract situation.

If Bell would just shut the hell up and keep the negotiating behind closed doors then nobody would have a problem. The fact that he has to come out and run his mouth isn't endearing himself well to the fans. The fact that he thinks he's worth AB money when he's playing a position that just doesn't hold up as long as other positions in the NFL is just ridiculous. I sincerely hope the Steelers don't cave in to his demands. Make him play this season, run the wheels off of him, and then let some other team overpay for his services.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 am

You're absolutely right Iowasteeler. I would add Alejandro Villanueva to your list of NFL players who are heroes.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
You're absolutely right Iowasteeler. I would add Alejandro Villanueva to your list of NFL players who are heroes.

I'd happily second that motion.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement   

Back to top Go down

Steelers reportedly meeting with Derrius Guice, potential first-round Le'Veon Bell replacement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: