HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 515
Likes : 143
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:11 pm

The Steelers are signing one of their halfbacks to a new contract.

But it’s not Le’Veon Bell.

Stevan Ridley, a veteran who joined them last December after James Conner’s season ended with a knee injury, has agreed to a one-year contract for 2018, a team source told the Post-Gazette.

Full article here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/03/stevan-ridley-contract-steelers-re-signed-nfl-draft-running-backs/stories/201804030193
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 515
Likes : 143
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 pm

I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:22 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17273
Likes : 1429
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
who seen juju coming

Definitely not Burfict. Ben LOL

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2939
Likes : 532
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:47 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
who seen juju coming

Definitely not Burfict. Ben LOL

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 471
Likes : 104
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

Another classic low cost high upside signing if he stays healthy. Quality back up.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 515
Likes : 143
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?

Yeah, all very true. Before the Ridley re-sign Ed Bouchette had this question-answer in his chat yesterday. Maybe Ridley is also a little bit of insurance in case Conner isn't ready. Or, maybe they draft a RB high now and pull the Bell franchise

Michael: If the Steelers draft a running back between rounds 2-3 is that a sign they don't expect to resign Bell?
Ed Bouchette: it might be that plus they need another plus will James Conner be ready to go at the start of 2018?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 2785
Likes : 1172
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 am

Absolutely love Ridley being re-signed. He looked pretty good with limited touches last season. Good quality veteran depth in our backfield on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:22 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?

Yeah, all very true. Before the Ridley re-sign Ed Bouchette had this question-answer in his chat yesterday. Maybe Ridley is also a little bit of insurance in case Conner isn't ready. Or, maybe they draft a RB high now and pull the Bell franchise

Michael: If the Steelers draft a running back between rounds 2-3 is that a sign they don't expect to resign Bell?
Ed Bouchette: it might be that plus they need another plus will James Conner be ready to go at the start of 2018?

plus the steelers resigned toussaint back in march to a one year deal. so they now have 3 backs on the roster. i guess once bell signs, or they draft someone to replace bell , one of those 3 will get cut. do they carry 3 or 4 rb's on the active 53 roster ? plus the fullback
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 515
Likes : 143
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?

Yeah, all very true. Before the Ridley re-sign Ed Bouchette had this question-answer in his chat yesterday. Maybe Ridley is also a little bit of insurance in case Conner isn't ready. Or, maybe they draft a RB high now and pull the Bell franchise

Michael: If the Steelers draft a running back between rounds 2-3 is that a sign they don't expect to resign Bell?
Ed Bouchette: it might be that plus they need another plus will James Conner be ready to go at the start of 2018?

plus the steelers resigned toussaint back in march to a one year deal. so they now have 3 backs on the roster. i guess once bell signs, or they draft someone to replace bell , one of those 3 will get cut. do they carry 3 or 4 rb's on the active 53 roster ? plus the fullback

Yeah, it seems to be a lot of RBs. I really had the idea they might draft one but the way the roster shaping up seems less likely. From what I've read after the obvious defensive needs WR seems to be a more important offensive position of greater need. Maybe RB early next year when Bell gone.

Ray Fittipaldo is reporting they re-signed Justin Hunter today.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 pm

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?

Yeah, all very true. Before the Ridley re-sign Ed Bouchette had this question-answer in his chat yesterday. Maybe Ridley is also a little bit of insurance in case Conner isn't ready. Or, maybe they draft a RB high now and pull the Bell franchise

Michael: If the Steelers draft a running back between rounds 2-3 is that a sign they don't expect to resign Bell?
Ed Bouchette: it might be that plus they need another plus will James Conner be ready to go at the start of 2018?

plus the steelers resigned toussaint back in march to a one year deal. so they now have 3 backs on the roster. i guess once bell signs, or they draft someone to replace bell , one of those 3 will get cut. do they carry 3 or 4 rb's on the active 53 roster ? plus the fullback

Yeah, it seems to be a lot of RBs. I really had the idea they might draft one but the way the roster shaping up seems less likely. From what I've read after the obvious defensive needs WR seems to be a more important offensive position of greater need. Maybe RB early next year when Bell gone.

Ray Fittipaldo is reporting they re-signed Justin Hunter today.

depends on if your looking for a guy to help you now, or your planning for the future. i don't see a wr or rb rookie helping them this year. maybe a rookie could land the 4th wr spot. Bryant is gonna have to go balls out this year if he wants to land a descent contract else where. so i look for 100% from him.
as far as looking to the future, i'd say a rb is the wiser choice. i just don't see conner as a 3 down feature back at all. his 4.65 forty doesn't translate to a big play kinda guy, plus he wasn't known for his receiving out of the back field, and his pass blocking unless he improves , is below the standard.
i think bell is now the prototype back the steelers will be looking for in the future. darius guice spent his whole pro day running routes to prove his receiving skills. (maybe to impress tomlin and colbert )
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 515
Likes : 143
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:12 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm glad they brought him back but this would give them 3 RBs, so I wonder if they aren't really looking for one in the draft.

its not really surprising. conner's pass blocking apparently isn't up to snuff and that's what limited his playing time last year. so if bell goes down or decides to be a super douche and hold out games, they are going to need a reliable vet. it doesn't mean they won't still draft one for insurance / future , i mean who seen juju coming in the second ?

Yeah, all very true. Before the Ridley re-sign Ed Bouchette had this question-answer in his chat yesterday. Maybe Ridley is also a little bit of insurance in case Conner isn't ready. Or, maybe they draft a RB high now and pull the Bell franchise

Michael: If the Steelers draft a running back between rounds 2-3 is that a sign they don't expect to resign Bell?
Ed Bouchette: it might be that plus they need another plus will James Conner be ready to go at the start of 2018?

plus the steelers resigned toussaint back in march to a one year deal. so they now have 3 backs on the roster. i guess once bell signs, or they draft someone to replace bell , one of those 3 will get cut. do they carry 3 or 4 rb's on the active 53 roster ? plus the fullback

Yeah, it seems to be a lot of RBs. I really had the idea they might draft one but the way the roster shaping up seems less likely. From what I've read after the obvious defensive needs WR seems to be a more important offensive position of greater need. Maybe RB early next year when Bell gone.

Ray Fittipaldo is reporting they re-signed Justin Hunter today.

depends on if your looking for a guy to help you now, or your planning for the future. i don't see a wr or rb rookie helping them this year. maybe a rookie could land the 4th wr spot. Bryant is gonna have to go balls out this year if he wants to land a descent contract else where. so i look for 100% from him.
as far as looking to the future, i'd say a rb is the wiser choice. i just don't see conner as a 3 down feature back at all. his 4.65 forty doesn't translate to a big play kinda guy, plus he wasn't known for his receiving out of the back field, and his pass blocking unless he improves , is below the standard.
i think bell is now the prototype back the steelers will be looking for in the future. darius guice spent his whole pro day running routes to prove his receiving skills. (maybe to impress tomlin and colbert )

You make many valid points. My thinking is often shaped by the writers chats at PPG. There's been some talk there about a WR with Bryant's likely leaving after this season. Also a little about RB, at least before re-signing Ridley, so I guess I'm kind of stuck there. In the end I defer to the Steelers judgement because they're often right...especially in the case of WRs. I never would have guessed a WR 2nd round last year but it was an awesome choice. What is the draft now, 3 weeks away? Seems like an eternity
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 471
Likes : 104
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 am

I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2939
Likes : 532
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.

You make sense. Hunter showed flashes last year but he has to prove he can be consistent. If he does that he could push Bryant or Rogers out. None of these 3 screamed consistency last year. Talent wise I still think Bryant is best but his attitude and level of maturity lacks. The other 2 being more like team players weighs in their favor.

I still think our #28 pick will be on the other side of the ball. I will say if the deal with Bell goes completely south and Guice is there I would be fine with that pick.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.
and the titans had high expectations from him when they spent a 2nd on him. he's a classic example of why teams shy away from guys with limited film / experience. he checks off the measurable blocks...6'-4" track star...ran a 4.4 forty...how can he not be a success ?

honestly i don't know why he's been a failure to this point. can't run the routes ? can't get separation ? bad hands ? or all the above ?
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 am

@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.

You make sense. Hunter showed flashes last year but he has to prove he can be consistent. If he does that he could push Bryant or Rogers out. None of these 3 screamed consistency last year. Talent wise I still think Bryant is best but his attitude and level of maturity lacks. The other 2 being more like team players weighs in their favor.

I still think our #28 pick will be on the other side of the ball. I will say if the deal with Bell goes completely south and Guice is there I would be fine with that pick.
both colbert and tomlin are on record adamantly saying bell will be a steeler in 2018. do you think they'd use the draft currency , plus a roster spot on a guy who likely would see very little playing time  or make any contribution towards a super bowl run ?
 i think they  stick with the win now mentality and look for guys to possibly upgrade the defensive side of the ball. guys that have a chance to challege and replace the starters like ILB and OLB.
bens not getting any younger....tick tock
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 471
Likes : 104
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.
and the titans had high expectations from him when they spent a 2nd on him. he's a classic example of why teams shy away from guys with limited film / experience. he checks off the measurable blocks...6'-4" track star...ran a 4.4 forty...how can he not be a success ?

honestly i don't know why he's been a failure to this point.  can't run the routes ? can't get separation ? bad hands ? or all the above ?

Some said he had hand issues and route running. Same issues they said about Bryant minus the suspensions/pot baggage. I think the staff see him as the same kind of project player they can build up and utilize.

Here’s to hoping he gets and seizes the opportunities he is presented with.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2939
Likes : 532
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:00 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.

You make sense. Hunter showed flashes last year but he has to prove he can be consistent. If he does that he could push Bryant or Rogers out. None of these 3 screamed consistency last year. Talent wise I still think Bryant is best but his attitude and level of maturity lacks. The other 2 being more like team players weighs in their favor.

I still think our #28 pick will be on the other side of the ball. I will say if the deal with Bell goes completely south and Guice is there I would be fine with that pick.
both colbert and tomlin are on record adamantly saying bell will be a steeler in 2018. do you think they'd  use the draft currency , plus a roster spot on a guy who likely would see very little playing time  or make any contribution towards a super bowl run ?I'm not sure who you are referring to here. Guice?
 i think they  stick with the win now mentality and look for guys to possibly upgrade the defensive side of the ball. guys that have a chance to challege and replace the starters like ILB and OLB.This is also what I think will happen but if we kick Bell to the curb I do think a guy like Guice could step right in. Do we have to have him? No. I think we need to spend our first 2 picks on defense even with the additions in free agency because these guys look like contributors but who knows really until they put the pads on. Even then some players are practice warriors but lack skills in real games.I
bens not getting any younger....tick tock
I agree. Who do you think is a good enough QB to spend our #1 on?


Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 679
Likes : 141
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:43 pm

I agree that we need to draft a defensive player with our #1 pick. Probably defense again in round 2, although I wouldn't mind Equanimeous St. Brown there. The trio of him, AB and Juju would be a nightmare for defenses for the next couple of years. Imo he's a better version of MB and a great guy off the field.

I would wait to draft a RB until next year. When Bell signs his tag we will already have 4 under contract and you never know they reach a longterm deal with him. Not that I expect that to happen.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 471
Likes : 104
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
I agree that we need to draft a defensive player with our #1 pick. Probably defense again in round 2, although I wouldn't mind Equanimeous St. Brown there. The trio of him, AB and Juju would be a nightmare for defenses for the next couple of years. Imo he's a better version of MB and a great guy off the field.

I would wait to draft a RB until next year. When Bell signs his tag we will already have 4 under contract and you never know they reach a longterm deal with him. Not that I expect that to happen.

All depends if they think that the Offense is easy to pick up for a rookie RB or not really. Would you rather have a young man learn under Bell, Ridley, Toiusannt, and absorb a year of info to get over that rookie shock... or is the RB field for next year so deep that we can snag a great one with another late 1st or 2nd round draft pick and throw him into the trial by fire as a rook?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 679
Likes : 141
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:37 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
I agree that we need to draft a defensive player with our #1 pick. Probably defense again in round 2, although I wouldn't mind Equanimeous St. Brown there. The trio of him, AB and Juju would be a nightmare for defenses for the next couple of years. Imo he's a better version of MB and a great guy off the field.

I would wait to draft a RB until next year. When Bell signs his tag we will already have 4 under contract and you never know they reach a longterm deal with him. Not that I expect that to happen.

All depends if they think that the Offense is easy to pick up for a rookie RB or not really. Would you rather have a young man learn under Bell, Ridley, Toiusannt, and absorb a year of info to get over that rookie shock... or is the RB field for next year so deep that we can snag a great one with another late 1st or 2nd round draft pick and throw him into the trial by fire as a rook?

You forgot Conner ;-) That's another reason I wouldn't draft a RB this year. I would give him more chances this year to see if he can take over from Bell in 2019. I know he hadn't a great season last year, but sometimes you need to be patient with rookies or young players in general. That's why I still have high hopes for Davis and especially Burns. I think Burns' mistakes last year where more mental errors, albeit his technique isn't perfect either. He's still very young so I think there's a good chance he can overcome those. I honestly believe Davis is a great player and a high character guy, but his issue is imo harder to overcome. I really don't know what his best position is for the NFL. His coverage is not good enough for a CB and he's not strong enough for a SS to play in the box. As a FS I fear that his tackling in the open field will be a bit off. He's decent in everything, but not great for one position. Btw It could be that Minkah Fitzpatrick will have the same problems in the NFL. He's a better prospect of course, but the team that will draft him will need to find his best position.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

avatar

Posts : 471
Likes : 104
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Modesto CA

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
I agree that we need to draft a defensive player with our #1 pick. Probably defense again in round 2, although I wouldn't mind Equanimeous St. Brown there. The trio of him, AB and Juju would be a nightmare for defenses for the next couple of years. Imo he's a better version of MB and a great guy off the field.

I would wait to draft a RB until next year. When Bell signs his tag we will already have 4 under contract and you never know they reach a longterm deal with him. Not that I expect that to happen.

All depends if they think that the Offense is easy to pick up for a rookie RB or not really. Would you rather have a young man learn under Bell, Ridley, Toiusannt, and absorb a year of info to get over that rookie shock... or is the RB field for next year so deep that we can snag a great one with another late 1st or 2nd round draft pick and throw him into the trial by fire as a rook?

You forgot Conner ;-) That's another reason I wouldn't draft a RB this year. I would give him more chances this year to see if he can take over from Bell in 2019. I know he hadn't a great season last year, but sometimes you need to be patient with rookies or young players in general. That's why I still have high hopes for Davis and especially Burns. I think Burns' mistakes last year where more mental errors, albeit his technique isn't perfect either. He's still very young so I think there's a good chance he can overcome those. I honestly believe Davis is a great player and a high character guy, but his issue is imo harder to overcome. I really don't know what his best position is for the NFL. His coverage is not good enough for a CB and he's not strong enough for a SS to play in the box. As a FS I fear that his tackling in the open field will be a bit off. He's decent in everything, but not great for one position. Btw It could be that Minkah Fitzpatrick will have the same problems in the NFL. He's a better prospect of course, but the team that will draft him will need to find his best position.

Yeah I left Connor out of it because I don’t know now where he is with his knee and he is still learning the system himself. If they happened to get another RB this year a high draft pick not real sure Bell would be a good teacher/mentor either considering he would probably just be looking at the exit. Really would come down to Ridley or Toiussant taking the new kid under their wing and showing him what it takes to be a RB in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3032
Likes : 533
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Fort Worth Texas

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm

what I like about Ridley with the Steelers o-line he can get the off tackle, outside zone blocking, he can get the edge with kinda like Willie Parker speed where Ridley has the RB vision that Willie didn't have.


_________________
Pigs rule, Dogs enforce, Sheep abide.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets



Posts : 662
Likes : 347
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.

You make sense. Hunter showed flashes last year but he has to prove he can be consistent. If he does that he could push Bryant or Rogers out. None of these 3 screamed consistency last year. Talent wise I still think Bryant is best but his attitude and level of maturity lacks. The other 2 being more like team players weighs in their favor.

I still think our #28 pick will be on the other side of the ball. I will say if the deal with Bell goes completely south and Guice is there I would be fine with that pick.
both colbert and tomlin are on record adamantly saying bell will be a steeler in 2018. do you think they'd  use the draft currency , plus a roster spot on a guy who likely would see very little playing time  or make any contribution towards a super bowl run ?I'm not sure who you are referring to here. Guice?
 i think they  stick with the win now mentality and look for guys to possibly upgrade the defensive side of the ball. guys that have a chance to challege and replace the starters like ILB and OLB.This is also what I think will happen but if we kick Bell to the curb I do think a guy like Guice could step right in. Do we have to have him? No. I think we need to spend our first 2 picks on defense even with the additions in free agency because these guys look like contributors but who knows really until they put the pads on. Even then some players are practice warriors but lack skills in real games.I
bens not getting any younger....tick tock
I agree. Who do you think is a good enough QB to spend our #1 on?



as i said , every time a question about bell is thrown at colbert or tomlin, the only impression they leave is that bell will be a steeler in 2018 regardless if they get a deal done or not. so if they have no intention of yanking the tag , then it makes no sense to waste a high pick this year on a RB that would not get on the field. if they are forking out 14.5 million for bell's services, bet your ass he won't be seeing much of the sidelines.
the same pretty much goes for a WR to an extent. brown , juju, and bryant are locked in. bryant needs to produce if he wants to see fat checks after this year. he'll be playing like a pro bowler and on his best behavior.  4th and fifth receiver is up for grabs with a chance to be promoted to 3rd next year.  90% chance bryant's locker is available come march. now the question is, will they spend a high pick on a WR that might see 15 -20 passes thrown his way this year ? i think not. maybe in the 3rd round if there is one they really like.
our # 1 ain't to far away from a #2.  the only one i can say without a doubt i wouldn't pick is lamar jackson. sorry but we've seen too many of his style of play be total failures or one year wonders to fall for that shit. speaking of which the ravens signed RG3 to be a back up. i'd don't get to see much college ball and you can't judge by watching youtube highlights because.....well they're just highlights. you need to see the bad to really get a grip on what kinda player they are. i wanna see the bone headed plays and see how often they make them. anywho , unless one drops in their lap they really like, a backup QB ain't gonna make the team better this year.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 2939
Likes : 532
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I honestly think they may already be thinking they have Bryant’s successor in Hunter. He is just as fast, tall, and has had the same questions about his hands in his career with less drama and no suspensions. Hunter got to learn the system last year and if he shows up and shows of his skills in preseason the Steelers just might have a need filled.

You make sense. Hunter showed flashes last year but he has to prove he can be consistent. If he does that he could push Bryant or Rogers out. None of these 3 screamed consistency last year. Talent wise I still think Bryant is best but his attitude and level of maturity lacks. The other 2 being more like team players weighs in their favor.

I still think our #28 pick will be on the other side of the ball. I will say if the deal with Bell goes completely south and Guice is there I would be fine with that pick.
both colbert and tomlin are on record adamantly saying bell will be a steeler in 2018. do you think they'd  use the draft currency , plus a roster spot on a guy who likely would see very little playing time  or make any contribution towards a super bowl run ?I'm not sure who you are referring to here. Guice?
 i think they  stick with the win now mentality and look for guys to possibly upgrade the defensive side of the ball. guys that have a chance to challege and replace the starters like ILB and OLB.This is also what I think will happen but if we kick Bell to the curb I do think a guy like Guice could step right in. Do we have to have him? No. I think we need to spend our first 2 picks on defense even with the additions in free agency because these guys look like contributors but who knows really until they put the pads on. Even then some players are practice warriors but lack skills in real games.I
bens not getting any younger....tick tock
I agree. Who do you think is a good enough QB to spend our #1 on?



as i said , every time a question about bell is thrown at colbert or tomlin, the only impression they leave is that bell will be a steeler in 2018 regardless if they get a deal done or not. so if they have no intention of yanking the tag , then it makes no sense to waste a high pick this year on a RB that would not get on the field. if they are forking out 14.5 million for bell's services, bet your ass he won't be seeing much of the sidelines.
the same pretty much goes for a WR to an extent. brown , juju, and bryant are locked in. bryant needs to produce if he wants to see fat checks after this year. he'll be playing like a pro bowler and on his best behavior.  4th and fifth receiver is up for grabs with a chance to be promoted to 3rd next year.  90% chance bryant's locker is available come march. now the question is, will they spend a high pick on a WR that might see 15 -20 passes thrown his way this year ? i think not. maybe in the 3rd round if there is one they really like.
our # 1 ain't to far away from a #2.  the only one i can say without a doubt i wouldn't pick is lamar jackson. sorry but we've seen too many of his style of play be total failures or one year wonders to fall for that shit. speaking of which the ravens signed RG3 to be a back up. i'd don't get to see much college ball and you can't judge by watching youtube highlights because.....well they're just highlights. you need to see the bad to really get a grip on what kinda player they are. i wanna see the bone headed plays and see how often they make them. anywho , unless one drops in their lap they really like, a backup QB ain't gonna make the team better this year.


I'm not concerned with Colbert,Tomlin, or Art II for that matter when it comes to Bell. They are the rational ones. Bell could hold out until week 10 before signing the tag and I think he is going to do just that. Having said that I don't think they will give up on Connor after just 1 year. So we have Ridley, Connor, Fitz as insurance. It sure looks on paper like we have some insurance in the way of Berhe,Burnett,and Bostic. It gives us breathing room but like I said. Who knows how these 3 will work out so we go after defensive BPA in rds 1&2. This is just what I believe and I am far from being an expert. I'm just guessing and I would love to see a way to pick up a guy like Guice for the future but in reality he is most likely gone before we pick. I still believe they screwed up by not placing the non-exclusive tag on Bell because he seems to be convinced he's the MVP of this team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers   

Back to top Go down
 
Stevan Ridley agrees to one-year deal with Steelers
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: