HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

prosects who have met with the Steelers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/4/13/17231388/an-in-depth-look-at-the-nfl-draft-prospects-who-have-met-with-the-steelers-combine-pro-day-visits

I'm ready for the draft tired of reading peoples opinions, the way the Steelers draft BPA and the way player positions can go on a run it is hard telling how the draft falls to the Steelers. imo the 2 defensive free agent signings Bell's contract drama we might be in for some surpises.

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 pm

i am terrified at the thought that the steelers might piss away their 1st on lamar jackson.

i remember a cocky kordell stating he will be in the hall of fame as a QB. Well he came about 8 good passing years short of that goal. kordell had a career passer rating of a miserable 70.7 and a career completion percentage of 55.8. i strongly believe had kordell switched to WR he would have had a prolific possible hall of fame career as a WR he had 41 receptions in his career for 658 yards with an average of 16 yds per rec and 5 touchdowns !!!
pretty nice numbers for not practicing at WR and having limited snaps. plus he had O'donell and tomsuck throwing to him.
Terell Pryor is still collecting an NFL check due to the fact that he came to terms that he wasn't NFL QB material. he was just a good athlete.

did anyone else notice how the talking heads were trying to turn the subject of jackson being asked about playing wr into a racial issue ?
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 am

If we pick Lamar Jackson we have wasted a pick IMO. A very valuable pick. I watched a couple of his games and what I saw was a run first QB. We've all seen enough of this type to know that they have highlights but their careers are plagued with injury at best. I can't name one that was even close to HOF material.
I also agree that Stewart would have been a pretty damn good WR. Far better than he was at QB. Last I checked Robert Griffin III is backing up Flacco. Flacco once said he was the best in the NFL so does that make RG III the second best? I got off track here but you get my point. There are running QBs and there are QBs that can run. Running QBs get figured out and then get hurt.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 am

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 am

@Fire Arians wrote:

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 pm

@Fire Arians wrote:

LOL!!
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 pm

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i am terrified at the thought that the steelers might piss away their 1st on lamar jackson.

i remember a cocky kordell stating he will be in the hall of fame as a QB. Well he came about 8 good passing years short of that goal. kordell had a career passer rating of a miserable 70.7 and a career completion percentage of 55.8.  i strongly believe had kordell switched to WR he would have had a prolific possible hall of fame career as a WR  he had 41 receptions in his career for 658 yards with an average of 16 yds per rec and 5 touchdowns !!!
pretty nice numbers for not practicing at WR and having limited snaps. plus he had O'donell and tomsuck throwing to him.
Terell Pryor is still collecting an NFL check due to the fact that he came to terms that he wasn't NFL QB material. he was just a good athlete.

did anyone else notice how the talking heads were trying to turn the subject of jackson being asked about playing wr into a racial issue ?

Agree with that. I used to always think too that if he had played out as a 'Slash' he may have ended up HOF as well. He could have played WR mostly, throw in a little RB here and there, once in a while throw a pass from RB spot. I didn't like him when he played QB for the most part, but I loved his rookie year when he was playing no one really knew what he was going to do and when he was running with the ball he was incredible. The Baltimore game where he had the 70-80 yard run after faking a hand off was incredible
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 am

Off all the prospects the player I absolutely don't want is Derrius Guice, not even in round 3. He's SPARQ-test is off the charts in a really bad way. Must be the worst test for any high-round RB ever.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/derrius-guice
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:

i remember a cocky kordell stating he will be in the hall of fame as a QB. Well he came about 8 good passing years short of that goal. kordell had a career passer rating of a miserable 70.7 and a career completion percentage of 55.8.  i strongly believe had kordell switched to WR he would have had a prolific possible hall of fame career as a WR  he had 41 receptions in his career for 658 yards with an average of 16 yds per rec and 5 touchdowns !!!

Agree with that. I used to always think too that if he had played out as a 'Slash' he may have ended up HOF as well. He could have played WR mostly, throw in a little RB here and there, once in a while throw a pass from RB spot. I didn't like him when he played QB for the most part, but I loved his rookie year when he was playing no one really knew what he was going to do and when he was running with the ball he was incredible. The Baltimore game where he had the 70-80 yard run after faking a hand off was incredible

looking back to bad the Steelers didn't use him as a run option QB in a run first offense with Bettis in 3 or 4 WR sets.

yes he was great as Slash but his 10 cent head didn't want to do it he left a lot of money on the field wanting to be just a QB.

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
@LambertWardSteel wrote:

Agree with almost all of this. I thought Kordell would become one of the best WRs in the league with that special capability to line up in the backfield a few times per game and have defenses pissing themselves trying to figure out what he would do (run, throw). At the end of the day, he was the starting QB, which is an indication of how poor the QBs were that the Steelers had access to. I think if they could have upgraded, they would have. But then again, that same story played out for them for most of the 80's.

looking back to bad the Steelers didn't use him as a run option QB in a run first offense with Bettis in 3 or 4 WR sets.

yes he was great as Slash but his 10 cent head didn't want to do it he left a lot of money on the field wanting to be just a QB.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
Off all the prospects the player I absolutely don't want is Derrius Guice, not even in round 3. He's SPARQ-test is off the charts in a really bad way. Must be the worst test for any high-round RB ever.

so would you take barkley , even though penn state running backs have a history of failure in the NFL?

Quote :
Of the top 50 running backs in NFL history, only one was a Nittany Lion. Former Steeler Franco Harris (ranked 14th) is the most recent PSU running back to make a major impact in the NFL affraid . That’s an astonishing fact for a perennially top-ranked program that emphasizes the run.
Quote :

Three of the biggest busts in NFL history are also Penn State running backs. Curtis Enis (who was probably never made fun of for his name) was selected fifth overall in the 1998 draft, ahead of Randy Moss and Alan Faneca. Enis reached an NFL end zone four times in his career and amassed slightly under 1,500 yards rushing. He ignobly finished his once-promising career with Cleveland. Ki-Jana Carter was chosen No. 1 overall by the Cincinnati Bengals, which was the equivalent of two curses working together to form a nuclear bust. Sure, Cincinnati could’ve chosen Steve McNair, Warren Sapp or even Kerry Collins that year, but the Bengals like to bungle. Carter rushed for 1,114 yards in his lackluster career, hampered by some serious injuries. Both Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis are Ohio natives, so that may have something to do with it also.

Finally, D.J. Dozier, whom Barkley will pass next on the PSU list, ran for just 691 yards after being drafted 14th in the first round in 1987. He parlayed an unaccomplished NFL career into a pitiful MLB career. Dozier played with the New York Mets, where he batted .191 and drove in two runs. But give him lots of credit for making it to the pros in two sports. He is the poor man’s Bo Jackson.

Although many of them were great at Beaver Stadium, Nittany Lions backs can’t excel in the NFL. The university’s all-time leading rusher is … you guessed it, Evan Royster. Royster was better than any of the aforementioned backs during his time at Penn State. Royster went to the pros and rushed for even fewer yards than Dozier: 416 NFL yards with the politically incorrect Washington football team. He latched onto the Atlanta Falcons practice squad two years ago and is now out of the league. There are so many cautionary tales for Saquon Barkley to heed. Barkley, talented as he may be, is hoping not only to win the Heisman, but go to the NFL and succeed. We will soon find out if he is an Elaine or a Kramer.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 am

@Stella Nation wrote:

so would you take barkley , even though penn state running backs have a history of failure in the NFL?

Quote :
Of the top 50 running backs in NFL history, only one was a Nittany Lion. Former Steeler Franco Harris (ranked 14th) is the most recent PSU running back to make a major impact in the NFL  affraid . That’s an astonishing fact for a perennially top-ranked program that emphasizes the run.
Quote :

Three of the biggest busts in NFL history are also Penn State running backs. Curtis Enis (who was probably never made fun of for his name) was selected fifth overall in the 1998 draft, ahead of Randy Moss and Alan Faneca. Enis reached an NFL end zone four times in his career and amassed slightly under 1,500 yards rushing. He ignobly finished his once-promising career with Cleveland. Ki-Jana Carter was chosen No. 1 overall by the Cincinnati Bengals, which was the equivalent of two curses working together to form a nuclear bust. Sure, Cincinnati could’ve chosen Steve McNair, Warren Sapp or even Kerry Collins that year, but the Bengals like to bungle. Carter rushed for 1,114 yards in his lackluster career, hampered by some serious injuries. Both Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis are Ohio natives, so that may have something to do with it also.

Finally, D.J. Dozier, whom Barkley will pass next on the PSU list, ran for just 691 yards after being drafted 14th in the first round in 1987. He parlayed an unaccomplished NFL career into a pitiful MLB career. Dozier played with the New York Mets, where he batted .191 and drove in two runs. But give him lots of credit for making it to the pros in two sports. He is the poor man’s Bo Jackson.

Although many of them were great at Beaver Stadium, Nittany Lions backs can’t excel in the NFL. The university’s all-time leading rusher is … you guessed it, Evan Royster. Royster was better than any of the aforementioned backs during his time at Penn State. Royster went to the pros and rushed for even fewer yards than Dozier: 416 NFL yards with the politically incorrect Washington football team. He latched onto the Atlanta Falcons practice squad two years ago and is now out of the league. There are so many cautionary tales for Saquon Barkley to heed. Barkley, talented as he may be, is hoping not only to win the Heisman, but go to the NFL and succeed. We will soon find out if he is an Elaine or a Kramer.

I know what you mean, but for me Saquon Barkley is in another league. I think he would've had success in any program and he will have a great career in the NFL. Even with the Browns. But as with all prospects, you never know. Injuries, off field issues,... a lot of things can happen.

Guice can have great success too. But with that test I wouldn't take the risk as there are other RB's with similar qualities that can be found in round 2 or 3. Personally I don't think the Steelers will draft one, maybe in the later rounds.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Ray Fittipaldo posted this today:

Ray Fittipaldo
✔️
@rayfitt1
Steelers predraft visits have concluded. There were 21 reported visits. (Maybe a few more not reported). Here is the breakdown of the reported visits: 6 ILB, 5 DBs, 4 DL, 3 WRs, 2 RB, 1 OL
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:32 am

I'm not a college guy, in the sense I follow many players. I have my favorite, PSU, and then anyone who beats OSU, Michigan, FSU, and Alabama. So I don't know which players are highly coveted.

Here's what I feel we need:
1. ILB
2. OLB
3. DB
4. RB
5. QB

Somewhat in that order and someone who can pretty much jump in the starting lineup.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm usually not too into mock drafts but pay a little more attention to Pittsburgh Post Gazette writers. RAY Fittiplaldo posted a mock today. He talks about each pick in the article:

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers seven-round mock draft: April 19

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
2. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest
3. WR Dante Pettis of Washington
5a. DL P.J. Hall of Sam Houston State
5b. RB Akrum Wadley of Iowa
7a. ILB Joel Iyiegbuniwe of Western Kentucky

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/19/nfl-draft-mock-steelers-preview-rashaan-evans-alabama-leighton-vander-esch/stories/201804190024
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:21 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
I'm usually not too into mock drafts but pay a little more attention to Pittsburgh Post Gazette writers. RAY Fittiplaldo posted a mock today. He talks about each pick in the article:

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers seven-round mock draft: April 19

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
2. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest
3. WR Dante Pettis of Washington
5a. DL P.J. Hall of Sam Houston State
5b. RB Akrum Wadley of Iowa
7a. ILB Joel Iyiegbuniwe of Western Kentucky

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/19/nfl-draft-mock-steelers-preview-rashaan-evans-alabama-leighton-vander-esch/stories/201804190024

Liking that 5b. pick!

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: prosects who have met with the Steelers   

Back to top Go down

prosects who have met with the Steelers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: