HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

5th round picks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: 5th round picks   Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

S Marcus Allen, Penn State
FB Jaylen Samuels, North Carolina State

I like both of these picks.

Davis and Allen already an up-grade at FS position the what was on the roster last year.

Samuels is a FB, RB, HB, pass catching TE.

The Steelers signed a free agent and drafted two S's

Since the Steelers couldn't get the ILB they wanted, their 2 d-linemen sub-package might be what the were drafting in this draft with Burnette and Edmunds as OLB/S, Davis as FS, 3 CBs, ILB Bostic or Williams, DTs Tuitt and Hayward and DEs Watt and Dupree. or a 4-3 defense. but in reality this would be one heck of a pass defense with a bunch of hybrid to give offenses a lot of different looks. 6 DBs with enough of a front to stop the run think of the blitz packages that could be run out of this defense and the speed on the field.

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:01 am

@effyou515 wrote:
S Marcus Allen, Penn State
FB Jaylen Samuels, North Carolina State

I like both of these picks.

Davis and Allen already an up-grade at FS position the what was on the roster last year.

Samuels is a FB, RB, HB, pass catching TE.

The Steelers signed a free agent and drafted two S's

Since the Steelers couldn't get the ILB they wanted, their 2 d-linemen sub-package might be what the were drafting in this draft with Burnette and Edmunds as OLB/S, Davis as FS, 3 CBs, ILB Bostic or Williams, DTs Tuitt and Hayward and DEs Watt and Dupree. or a 4-3 defense. but in reality this would be one heck of a pass defense with a bunch of hybrid to give offenses a lot of different looks. 6 DBs with enough of a front to stop the run think of the blitz packages that could be run out of this defense and the speed on the field.

I like both picks as well. Allen is a big Steelers fan. Samuels seems to have incredible versatility:

Quote :
The Steelers planned to get running back help at some point in the draft and went with a hybrid option in Samuels, who has experience as an H-back or even a tight end. The Steelers are looking for matchup help on third down and feel Samuels, at 225 pounds with a 4.54 40 time, can help in the open field against dime defenses. He’ll start in the running back room. Samuels says he has a “knack for the end zone,” and the numbers back that up. He scored 11 touchdowns on 71 rushing attempts and four scores on 69 catches in 2017, good for a touchdown every 9.3 touches.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27693/pittsburgh-steelers-2018-draft-analysis-for-every-selection

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:11 am

Pittsburgh Steelers: Jaylen Samuels, TE/RB, N.C. State A Grade

I thought Jaylen Samuels could go in the third round, but it seems like he fell to the fifth frame because he doesn't have a natural position. However, Samuels is an athletic player who is a Swiss Army Knife type who can contribute in multiple facets. I love this pick for Pittsburgh.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades5.php

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:47 am

All in all I think this was a solid draft even though it was unpredictable to say the least. I see a totally different defense in the works this year with a lot of sub packages. A hard hitting Safety who might be able to transition to ILB.

We got what could be our future starting QB with his own personnel WR. A very versatile RB.

This could be a year where every pick makes the 53 man roster. We got some serious talent on a team defense that could very well make Keith Butler look like the DC we hoped for.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:45 am

@solardave wrote:
All in all I think this was a solid draft even though it was unpredictable to say the least. I see a totally different defense in the works this year with a lot of sub packages. A hard hitting Safety who might be able to transition to ILB.

We got what could be our future starting QB with his own personnel WR. A very versatile RB.

This could be a year where every pick makes the 53 man roster. We got some serious talent on a team defense that could very well make Keith Butler look like the DC we hoped for.

It was indeed an interesting draft. After the FA signing of Burnett, they drafted 2 other hybrid safeties/linebackers in Edmunds and Allen. They probably felt there wasn't a LB good enough to replace what Shazier did on the field. Colbert already stated months ago that they thought this linebacker class was underwhelming so they opted to change the way they approach their defense as you said. I like the Joshua Frazier signing too. He should be able to finally push McCullers from the roster.

On the other side of the field the pick of Rudolph in the 3rd is an absolute steal. Whether he pans out or not, he checks all the boxes to become a franchise QB. Any other year he would have gone in the first, but because of the quantity of first-round QB prospects he dropped to us. I love his mentality and it's a good thing he can sit behind Ben for at least a year. James Washington is another pick I like a lot. He was one of the receivers I really liked months before the draft, with the others being DJ Moore, Dante Pettis and Equanimeous St Brown (can't believe he dropped to the 6th). Jaylen Samuels is the kind of player The Patriots* typically value high. Another steal in this draft. I wonder what he bring to us as he's a dream for a creative offensive coordinator to work with. The only pick I absolutaly don't understand is Chukwuma Okorafor. There were so many good O-linemen in this draft and they picked someone I don't like at all. He has great physical attributes but he plays soft. Sounds like the O-line version of McCullers to me. That being said we only can watch some tape from players and read some evaluations about them, but we and all the draftniks don't have the intel teams have.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:40 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Pittsburgh Steelers: Jaylen Samuels, TE/RB, N.C. State A Grade

I thought Jaylen Samuels could go in the third round, but it seems like he fell to the fifth frame because he doesn't have a natural position. However, Samuels is an athletic player who is a Swiss Army Knife type who can contribute in multiple facets. I love this pick for Pittsburgh.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades5.php
he doesn't have a natural position because his college coach didn't leave him in one spot and his weight. he's obviously to small to be an NFL TE. he runs a 4.55 (?) which isn't bad for a big RB , but a little slow for a WR but not bad either as long as he can get seperation. if you ask me he's a third down RB who you can line up in the slot.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

This draft will go down as the Mason Rudolph draft regardless of anyone else. Either the Steelers stole one or whiffed. If Mason is legit, Steelers may have added another decade of Super Bowl chances and that for me is exciting. Waiting 21 years from Bradshaw to Big Ben was bad!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th round picks   

Back to top Go down

5th round picks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: