HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Randy Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2018

There’s a bit of an elephant in the room. People have different opinions about who that elephant will be, and when it will be determined who is the elephant. But Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner outright said that the elephant is going to have to go.

The elephant is the fourth quarterback, and after the team selected Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft yesterday, they now have four. With Ben Roethlisberger indicating that he wants to play for a few seasons yet, Landry Jones locked in as the backup (albeit on the final year of his contract) and Joshua Dobbs a fourth-round pick a year ago, there is going to be an odd man out.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/randy-fichtner-knows-theres-one-too-many-in-qb-room-after-drafting-mason-rudolph/

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:54 pm

My guess is that it comes down to how much Rudolph progresses during camp and preseason. If they feel comfortable entering the season with him as the backup, then Jones is gone. If not, then Dobbs is gone. That's a rather simple theory. The reality can play out a number of ways.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 am

Landry Jones is the odd QB out Haley pick for his offense now with Fitchner as OC the 2 young QB fit in his offense.

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
My guess is that it comes down to how much Rudolph progresses during camp and preseason. If they feel comfortable entering the season with him as the backup, then Jones is gone. If not, then Dobbs is gone. That's a rather simple theory. The reality can play out a number of ways.

Sounds logic to me. It also could come down if and how much Dobbs will make progress this preseason. If he doesn't show anything the choice will be easy.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:53 am

I think Dobbs is out. Jones has the experience and apparently the coachs' confidence to step into a game and give them a chance to win. I've seen nothing from Dobbs that makes me think he's a winner in this league. His preseason last year didn't convince me he's ready to be the #2.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:50 am

@Wallace108 wrote:

I think if Rudolph learns the offense well enough to land at #2 Jones will ask to be either released or traded to a team where he can compete for a starting job. I don't see Jones being OK with the #3 slot. By taking Rudolph it's apparent they don't see Jones as our future starting QB. Who knows about Dobbs? We haven't seen him play enough but the coaches must know. Or maybe they saw Rudolph as the BPA.

This preseason is going to be competition central is what I believe.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 am

The North has a chance to become entertaining in a couple of years. The Browns have Mayfield, The Ravens Jackson and we Rudolph. And the Bengals are stuck with good old Andy
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:29 pm

looks like it will cost them $300,000 dead money to dump landry. so what happens if both landry and dobbs out performs rudolpf ? i know 3rd rounders usually get a one year pass , but would a qb get a little more time ? i doubt he would make it to the practice squad without some team wanting to kick his tires.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 am

I think Dobbs is the odd man out regardless. That's based on last year though. If Dobbs kills it in preseason, who knows.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:50 am

@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
looks like it will cost them $300,000 dead money to dump landry. so what happens if both landry and dobbs out performs rudolpf ? i know 3rd rounders usually get a one year pass , but would a qb get a little more time ? i doubt he would make it to the practice squad without some team wanting to kick his tires.

I think it is Dobbs too. Which begs the question, why did we draft him to begin with?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

@jak341 wrote:
@Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

I think it is Dobbs too. Which begs the question, why did we draft him to begin with?

We drafted him because a week after the loss to the Patriots* BB said the word RETIREMENT and the FO acted accordingly just in case. Dobbs made some decent throws in last years preseason. He should be given an opportunity to push Jones out of a spot with a year of development under his belt he may surprise people.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Ben Roethlisberger: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

The Steelers QB also said Tuesday he plans on playing “for three to five more years.”

by Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 1, 2018

Like most everyone else, Ben Roethlisberger was surprised when the Steelers drafted quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round last Friday.

Unlike others, he does not see Rudolph as his successor in a year or two. That’s because Roethlisberger, 36, believes he will play another three to five years and has told management and his coaches as much.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/01/mason-rudolph-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201805010130

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 01, 2018 6:22 pm

BB has two years left to help put Fitchner's new offense in and help Mason take over. imo BB doesn't want to play 5 more years.

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

BB wants to play 5 more fine but he better show he has the arm for it. If MR can hit AB, Juju, or Washington 60 yards down field in stride and shows a good command of the offense then BB better come up with some rings...if not the ball should be passed on to MR. BB has been surrounded by a shit ton of talent on his side of the ball and he has not been able to win the games when it counted most in a really long time.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 pm

The comments from him seem very surprising considering just last year he didn't know all winter if he was coming back. I guess that had to do a lot with Haley being there but even after he left Ben was saying 2-3 years. Maybe the idea that they may actually have someone who could eventually be the starter is making him more nervous than when Jones and Dobbs were behind him.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
The comments from him seem very surprising considering just last year he didn't know all winter if he was coming back. I guess that had to do a lot with Haley being there but even after he left Ben was saying 2-3 years. Maybe the idea that they may actually have someone who could eventually be the starter is making him more nervous than when Jones and Dobbs were behind him.

you could be right, although i don't know why Ben would be nervous. He's a HOF Franchise QB coming off a great year (for him)

If anyone should be a little nervous its Landry Jones and more so Dobbs.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27823/mason-rudolph-is-the-steelers-great-jimmy-g-experiment

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Wed May 02, 2018 12:44 pm

I believe in Rudolph if he ends up having to play at some point.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Fri May 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Joshua Dobbs: ‘I Plan On Being’ In Camp ‘And Plan To Compete’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 4, 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers know that they have one too many quarterbacks in the room. I don’t know that they have much of a plan for how it will play out for the number two and number three positions on the roster. Presumably, there are only three things that they know for sure.

One is that Ben Roethlisberger will be their starting quarterback this year. Two is that Mason Rudolph will definitely be on the roster. And three is that there will be three quarterbacks on the roster. No more, no less.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/joshua-dobbs-i-plan-on-being-in-camp-and-plan-to-compete/

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sat May 05, 2018 4:19 am

lol,,, Fichtner can count to four.

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sat May 05, 2018 12:42 pm

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
BB wants to play 5 more fine but he better show he has the arm for it. If MR can hit AB, Juju, or Washington 60 yards down field in stride and shows a good command of the offense then BB better come up with some rings...if not the ball should be passed on to MR. BB has been surrounded by a shit ton of talent on his side of the ball and he has not been able to win the games when it counted most in a really long time.

Yeah that AFC TITLE GAME they went to two years ago was a really long time.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Sat May 05, 2018 1:02 pm

@Crash wrote:
@SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Yeah that AFC TITLE GAME they went to two years ago was a really long time.  

And lost... because of stalled offense 3 and outs and a pick... again win the games when’s it counts the most.. been a long time...
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Ben Roethlisberger is already helping rookie Mason Rudolph

ED BOUCHETTE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 22, 2018

Ben Roethlisberger broke the ice with Mason Rudolph on Tuesday and ended the weeks-old narrative that he would give the rookie quarterback the cold shoulder.

“I always have done that,” Roethlisberger said of helping young Steelers quarterbacks, and he did so during their first meeting Tuesday.

“Obviously we’re in meetings and stuff and I tried to help him out with a couple of things I saw out there.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/22/mason-rudolph-steelers-otas-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors/stories/201805220100

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   Tue May 22, 2018 4:31 pm

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Ben Roethlisberger is already helping rookie Mason Rudolph

ED BOUCHETTE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 22, 2018

Ben Roethlisberger broke the ice with Mason Rudolph on Tuesday and ended the weeks-old narrative that he would give the rookie quarterback the cold shoulder.

“I always have done that,” Roethlisberger said of helping young Steelers quarterbacks, and he did so during their first meeting Tuesday.

“Obviously we’re in meetings and stuff and I tried to help him out with a couple of things I saw out there.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/22/mason-rudolph-steelers-otas-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors/stories/201805220100

I'm glad Ben got over his drama and now can see the big team 1st picture.

PostSubject: Re: Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph   

Back to top Go down

Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Rudolph
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: