HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Fri May 04, 2018 5:59 pm

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 4, 2018

One year after "seriously" contemplating retirement, Ben Roethlisberger is struggling with the Steelers' decision to draft Mason Rudolph as his heir apparent.

Roethlisberger has made it clear that Rudolph won't see the field anytime soon, stating early this week his intention to play for "three or five more years."

In a Friday morning interview with KDKA's Cook and Poni in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger expressed further displeasure, questioning the allocation of resources toward another potential quarterback of the future.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931628/article/big-ben-on-rudolph-pick-how-does-it-help-us-win-now

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Fri May 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Ben's next contract is not so much in Ben's favor but in the Steelers favor I guess we'll see how much Ben loves the Steelers and what the Steelers did for him through his parting and the girls who said he raped them.

bet Ben plays he's last year of his contract and retires.

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Fri May 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Ben talks retiring last year then gets surprised we pick his possible successor... sounds like he is being a bit of a bitch about it.

He should shut his mouth and work on figuring out how to beat Jacksonville and the Patriots*...

Complaining about a draft pick just makes him sound like a drama queen especially after his flip flopping on retiring the last couple of years...

Man up BB help mentor the kid there is absolutely no reason you should feel threatened by him, this is your team the organization is just looking to the future. If you treat the rookie like shit it is only going to tarnish your history so why even go there?
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Fri May 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Ben Roethlisberger 'surprised' Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was surprised the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted a quarterback after he notified them about his plan to play three to five more years.

Appearing on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Friday, Roethlisberger was pointed when asked about last week's selection of Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph with the 76th overall pick.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23406759/quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-surprised-pittsburgh-steelers-drafted-mason-rudolph

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Ben's contract is up after the 2019 season. it would be nice if mason showed starter potential before then to give them the option to part ways with a then 39 year old who would be looking for $30 + million a year.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 2:03 am

Ben talked retirement because he hated Todd Haley.

Martavis Bryant wanted traded because he hated Todd Haley.

Todd Haley gets fired.

Ben then states, three months BEFORE they drafted Mason Rudolph, that he wants to play at least three more years.

Martavis Bryant, also states, that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh as well.

Not hard to figure out where the problem was.  

But remember what I said when I re-appeared here? That Haley being fired will light up the competitive fire in Ben?  

All this did was confirm it.  

I would be MORE upset if he didn't feel that way. He also went to bat for Bryant numerous times last season while Todd Haley was wasting too many snaps with scrubs. Then they trade Bryant, and use that pick on a player who may at some point replace you? You really don't think he would be pissed off? Again, I'd be more concerned if he weren't pissed off. He's only human.  

It's not Ben's job to mentor Rudolph, and in 12-15 years if Rudolph is the starter and they draft a potential successor guess what?  It's not Rudolph's job to mentor that guy either.

Just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 am

Quote :
He should shut his mouth and work on figuring out how to beat Jacksonville and the Patriots**...

Ben's going to play defense?

Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 2:25 am

Btw the Steelers did nothing for Ben after Georgia.  They let him twist in the wind about his playing future, Art II shit all over him after Goodell suspended him, and never called out the league publicly for the numerous cheap shots Ben endured that season from NFL defenders without so much as a penalty flag being thrown.  Not to mention never ripping Goodell for leaking supposed "confidential details" of the Roethlisberger investigation to Peter King of SI prior to their first playoff game against Goodell's favorites from Baltimore, this of course AFTER Goodell paraded the arrested and charged, but never suspended by the NFL accused murderer Ray Lewis onto the draft night stage the same week he suspended the Steelers uncharged quarterback.

Compare that to the way Bob Kraft treated Goodell when he suspended Brady.  He basically wiggled his dick at Goodell and labeled him as an incompetent buffoon.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 8:34 am

@Crash wrote:
Ben talked retirement because he hated Todd Haley.

Martavis Bryant wanted traded because he hated Todd Haley.

Todd Haley gets fired.

Ben then states, three months BEFORE they drafted Mason Rudolph, that he wants to play at least three more years.

Martavis Bryant, also states, that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh as well.

Not hard to figure out where the problem was.  

But remember what I said when I re-appeared here? That Haley being fired will light up the competitive fire in Ben?  

All this did was confirm it.  

I would be MORE upset if he didn't feel that way.  He also went to bat for Bryant numerous times last season while Todd Haley was wasting too many snaps with scrubs.  Then they trade Bryant, and use that pick on a player who may at some point replace you?  You really don't think he would be pissed off?  Again, I'd be more concerned if he weren't pissed off.  He's only human.    

It's not Ben's job to mentor Rudolph, and in 12-15 years if Rudolph is the starter and they draft a potential successor guess what?  It's not Rudolph's job to mentor that guy either.

Just the way it is.
I have to disagree here. Football is a team sport. Mentoring young players is part of the team process. It has everything to do with being unselfish. I don't believe for a minute Ben will hang out with any of these guys after he retires. I'm saying he won't care about the win/loss status after he's gone so for him to think it's OK for a backup (Jones) to take over after he leaves it doesn't surprise me. I take his statement as selfish and it honestly has me hoping Rudolph is the real deal. I hope Ben realizes it's not all about him but since it always has been there's no reason to believe that will change.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 10:24 am

what little respect I had for Big Baby Ben is lost forever. hope Mason comes out and lights it up so the Steelers can retire Baby Ben when his contract is up. boo fucking hoo Ben the Steelers got you out of your womanizing trouble paid you millions of dollars now we get to see you act like a little bitch boy.

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Quote :
I have to disagree here. Football is a team sport. Mentoring young players is part of the team process.

"If he wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing. But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward on helping 2006 rookie Santonio Holmes May 11 2006

At the time of that quote, Hines just came off a Super Bowl win, a Super Bowl MVP, signed a new contract the summer before, and his previous #2 WR left as a free agent.

The difference? Hines NEEDED Holmes to be ready to go, to help WARD'S production on the field. And he still said that.

And he NEVER got the backlash, from fans and media, the way HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger is right now.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 1:54 pm

It's no secret that Ben didn't like Haley. They finally get rid of Haley and give Ben an OC he likes, and then a few months later they bring in Ben's possible replacement. So I understand him being a little upset about the situation. I just wish he'd keep it in-house instead of turning it into a public spectacle. From AB's Facebook drama, to Bryant's tweets after JuJu was drafted, to Bell's tweets, comments, and other drama ... I'm just tired of all the distractions.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Mason's response ...

“If I was Ben, I’d probably say the same thing. He’s a competitor. Obviously, he has a lot of confidence in himself, like I do. He’s going to be a future Hall of Famer and I would expect him to say that. I’m just looking forward to going in there and learning the system, competing and raising my level of play. Preparing like I’m the starter even though I obviously won’t be the starter. Just waiting, waiting and being prepared for whenever I get my time. When my time comes, to be ready and take advantage of it.”

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/05/mason-rudolph-responds-to-ben-roethlisberger-comments-about-when-he-might-play-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-picks-2018

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 5:59 pm

I think they’re going to get along just fine. I’m more worried about the defense and Bell’s holdout than the QB position.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sat May 05, 2018 8:03 pm

James C Wexell@jimwexell

James C Wexell Retweeted mike freeman

Bradshaw, 35, said he would play 5 more years.
So Steelers passed on Marino.
Rooney cited the mistake in drafting Ben.
Rinse and repeat, but learn from history. Ben’s 36.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 am

"[Dobbs] and Landry were the two guys I've felt the worst for [after Rudolph was picked]," Roethlisberger said. "I'll be honest, I wasn't worried about someone taking my job. I feel confident that I can go out and beat whoever I need to beat out for my job."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roethlisberger-now-questioning-whether-steelers-might-have-screwed-up-recent-picks/

--------------------------------------------

Put another way: "Rudolph is Jones and Dobbs replacement, not mines."

The only silver lining is that this is happening now, and not during the season.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 6:03 am

The one positive thing about Ben's comment is that Rudolph has passed his first test.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 6:09 am

@Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
James C Wexell@jimwexell

James C Wexell Retweeted mike freeman

Bradshaw, 35, said he would play 5 more years.
So Steelers passed on Marino.
Rooney cited the mistake in drafting Ben.
Rinse and repeat, but learn from history. Ben’s 36.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

And Steelers are right to do so. We all have our favorite players, but things can change quickly. Look at Harrison. Like Seinfeld once joked, we root for jerseys, not people
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 6:47 am

@Crash wrote:
Quote :
I have to disagree here. Football is a team sport. Mentoring young players is part of the team process.

"If he wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing. But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward on helping 2006 rookie Santonio Holmes May 11 2006

At the time of that quote, Hines just came off a Super Bowl win, a Super Bowl MVP, signed a new contract the summer before, and his previous #2 WR left as a free agent.  

The difference?  Hines NEEDED Holmes to be ready to go, to help WARD'S production on the field.  And he still said that.

And he NEVER got the backlash, from fans and media, the way HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger is right now.  

I see memes on facebook of celebrities with quotes underneath. Did they really say it? Who knows? I suspect the reason Ward didn't catch the flack that Ben is right now: Hines wasn't twice accused of rape bringing all kinds of distractions to the team.

The fact is I really don't care who said what. Football is a team sport. Part of being a team player IMO is helping the guy who will probably take your job down the road. That's how you win. To me looking at Ben's statement he wasn't worried about anyone taking his job (Jones or Dobbs) until now. So the answer is be a professional, keep Randolph on the bench and make your comments in private. Haven't we had our share of drama over the past several years? Years that we haven't won a superbowl.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 7:56 am

Quote :
I see memes on facebook of celebrities with quotes underneath. Did they really say it? Who knows? I suspect the reason Ward didn't catch the flack that Ben is right now: Hines wasn't twice accused of rape bringing all kinds of distractions to the team.

BINGO!

But at the same time? If they are going to hold BASELESS, FACTLESS, acccusations against Ben from eight and nine years ago? Then the Rooney's should have done all of those high character moral people a favor and traded him.

Hines said he considrered sitting out 2004 because of his contract. That's a distraction.

Hines held out 2005 training camp, and said the Steelers didn't value recievers. That's a distraction.

That was before Ben's accusations. Where these fans and media then?

The Steelers also signed Charlie Batch in 2002, months AFTER being accused of kidnapping and gang rape, two years BEFORE they drafted Ben. Where were these fans and media then?

Nothing worse than selective moral outrage. Pisses me off to no end.

Quote :
The fact is I really don't care who said what. Football is a team sport. Part of being a team player IMO is helping the guy who will probably take your job down the road.

Not the QB position. It's just not true. Rookie QB's bond with the backup and his position coach.

It's always been that way.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 am

@Crash wrote:
Quote :

BINGO!  

But at the same time?  If they are going to hold BASELESS, FACTLESS, acccusations against Ben from eight and nine years ago?  Then the Rooney's should have done all of those high character moral people a favor and traded him.  

Hines said he considrered sitting out 2004 because of his contract.  That's a distraction.This is what I'm saying. It doesn't matter who is causing the distraction. Ward is in the past. So is Bryant but we still have Ben and Bell. We never know what AB,Bell or any other player is gonna tweet that should be talked about in team meetings or at least behind closed doors.

Hines held out 2005 training camp, and said the Steelers didn't value recievers.  That's a distraction.

That was before Ben's accusations.  Where these fans and media then?  It was a little different back then but I'm pretty sure fans were pissed off at him for being a douche.I know I was.I don't know if there is any team who hasn't siged or kept a contraversial player and we are definitely not above that.

The Steelers also signed Charlie Batch in 2002, months AFTER being accused of kidnapping and gang rape, two years BEFORE they drafted Ben.  Where were these fans and media then?That was 16 years ago. Twitter was not being used or at least not like today.

Nothing worse than selective moral outrage. In general NFL players are mostly not guys the average fan would like to hang out with.  Pisses me off to no end.  

Quote :
The fact is I really don't care who said what. Football is a team sport. Part of being a team player IMO is helping the guy who will probably take your job down the road.

Not the QB position.  It's just not true.  Rookie QB's bond with the backup and his position coach.  I agree to an extent. They should also be tutored by anyone on the team.

It's always been that way.  
Anyway it will come out in the wash.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 10:21 am

It's not like Ben tweeted like Bryant, "That's Landry's replacement, not mine!"

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 pm

read in a piece MR really likes to study football.

its a big learning curve coming to the pros but MR was really good at reading and knowing opposing college defensive that could be called against the plays his OC would be calling and his OC said MR had free rein in his offense.

Quote :
Mason Rudolph on Ben Roethlisberger: 'It's not Ben's job to teach me anything'

Rudolph thinks it's his responsibility to take what he can from Big Ben, whether Roethlisberger wants to teach or not.

Of course, Rudolph knows that Roethlisberger doesn't so much have a responsibility to Rudolph as he does to the team, and it's actually up to Rudolph to soak up all the knowledge he can from Big Ben while they're in the same locker room.

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
read in a piece MR really likes to study football.

its a big learning curve coming to the pros but MR was really good at reading and knowing opposing college defensive that could be called against the plays his OC would be calling and his OC said MR had free rein in his offense.

Quote :
Mason Rudolph on Ben Roethlisberger: 'It's not Ben's job to teach me anything'

Rudolph thinks it's his responsibility to take what he can from Big Ben, whether Roethlisberger wants to teach or not.

Of course, Rudolph knows that Roethlisberger doesn't so much have a responsibility to Rudolph as he does to the team, and it's actually up to Rudolph to soak up all the knowledge he can from Big Ben while they're in the same locker room.

Good for him. Like Stella said he passed his first test. You were right Crash. Ben doesn't need to teach him anything. I'm glad he's taking it upon himself to learn the playbook.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   Sun May 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Ben's not the only one:

Lamar Jackson not being warmly welcomed by Joe Flacco, Ravens already impressed

The Ravens are already gushing over Lamar Jackson

by John Breech

If the NFL wants to put together a dramatic reality show this year, they should skip out on Hard Knocks and just put a camera in the quarterback room of every team in the AFC North.
Not only do we have the ongoing drama in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, but it appears that Joe Flacco hasn't exactly broken out the welcome wagon for Baltimore's newest quarterback, Lamar Jackson.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lamar-jackson-not-being-warmly-welcomed-by-joe-flacco-ravens-already-impressed/

PostSubject: Re: Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?   

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: