HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Roster move coming?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

PostSubject: Roster move coming?   Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Wow, that would be awesome! I can only hope they bench Dupree now.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:01 pm

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 pm

I would argue against John Simon for the very reasons he was cut in Indy. Here is a good article detailing why: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/2/17811544/cutting-john-simon-makes-sense-for-the-colts-hear-me-out

However, I wonder if the cap space is for another player to sign: Bell. Here are my thoughts.

• Bell is the only player who held out NOT to get paid. Mack, Donald, Gurley, etc. all got paid in the end, either by their team or a trade.
  • The restructure gives the team a few more coins to add to Bell's potential contract.
  • Related to this: on today's morning show in the sports report, Ben is "shocked" that Landry was cut. They played a few older interviews with Ben talking about how Landry helps him on the sideline breaking down footage. Dobbs cannot do this. Ben didn't say he was unhappy, but was "shocked" by the decision. Ben said he understands the business side of the game.
  • It was rumored that privately, Ben is extremely unhappy by this move.
  • Enter the Bell drama: if Bell sits, our chances at a deep playoff run are reduced. Bell >>> Conner in every way possible.
  • Sign Bell, and Ben may feel happier again, as it feels we are "all in" for his last years.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 pm

From Ed Bouchette's chat at Pitts Post Gazette tuesday:

Quote :
TXSTEELER : With all the restructuring they are doing to free up cap space this year there has to be something on the horizon....any idea what it could be?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe a trade? They could use, of course, another inside linebacker and they have only 3 outside linebackers on the roster.

Drew: Is there a reason the Steelers converted 8 mil of Heyward's salary to a signing bonus? Timing seems odd.

Ed Bouchette: It does seem odd, unless they are opening things up to acquire a high-salaried player, the way they added Joe Haden last year. I'm not sure who that could be, though.

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:39 am

@Stella Nation wrote:

You think Simon would be an upgrade? Looking at his stats he doesn't exactly stand out to me. What am I missing? I think Dupree should get one more year to prove himself. I say that because he will be on the other side this year and because I don't think he's as bad as some do. He can dominate. I'm not sure why he isn't more consistent. The games I did watch he didn't exactly suck. Not like Jarvis Jones. I know! We don't want another Jarvis Jones era but I think Bud is going to brake out this year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/johnsimon/2539280/profile

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 am

@jak341 wrote:
I would argue against John Simon for the very reasons he was cut in Indy. Here is a good article detailing why: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/2/17811544/cutting-john-simon-makes-sense-for-the-colts-hear-me-out

However, I wonder if the cap space is for another player to sign: Bell. Here are my thoughts.

• Bell is the only player who held out NOT to get paid. Mack, Donald, Gurley, etc. all got paid in the end, either by their team or a trade.
  • The restructure gives the team a few more coins to add to Bell's potential contract.
  • Related to this: on today's morning show in the sports report, Ben is "shocked" that Landry was cut. They played a few older interviews with Ben talking about how Landry helps him on the sideline breaking down footage. Dobbs cannot do this. Ben didn't say he was unhappy, but was "shocked" by the decision. Ben said he understands the business side of the game.
  • Enter the Bell drama: if Bell sits, our chances at a deep playoff run are reduced. Bell >>> Conner in every way possible.
  • Sign Bell, and Ben may feel happier again, as it feels we are "all in" for his last years.

Solid post with good points, but I hope you're not right. I was surprised they offered Bell as much as they did. If they cave in and meet his demands, that would constitute a fundamental change in the way the team operates. One of the reasons they've been successful for so long is because they don't mortgage the future on a player like Bell.

I forget where i saw it, but our offense averages almost exactly the same amount of points without Bell as it does with him. If they're going to make an uncharacteristically big move, I hope it's on defense.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

Solid post with good points, but I hope you're not right. I was surprised they offered Bell as much as they did. If they cave in and meet his demands, that would constitute a fundamental change in the way the team operates. One of the reasons they've been successful for so long is because they don't mortgage the future on a player like Bell.

I forget where i saw it, but our offense averages almost exactly the same amount of points without Bell as it does with him. If they're going to make an uncharacteristically big move, I hope it's on defense.

I agree. We don't need Bell as much as he needs us right now. Our need is at LB both at ILB and OLB.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Dupree has turned out to be better dropping into pass coverage then rushing the QB.

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:43 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

The money certainly isn't for Bell. At least not this year. Simply because they can't offer him a new contract, even if he signs the tag. The Steelers had by rule time to agree to a longterm deal with him until the 16th of July. That's part of placing the tag on a player. The player can't negotiate with other teams, but you only have a certain period to come to a deal. There are only 2 possibilities left now: Bell signs the tag and he plays the season for the Steelers (or another team if they would trade him, but no team is going to do that because they can't offer Bell a new contract until he's FA at the end of the season) for $900000 a week once he signs or they recind the tag and he becomes a FA.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 pm

@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

You think Simon would be an upgrade? Looking at his stats he doesn't exactly stand out to me. What am I missing? I think Dupree should get one more year to prove himself. I say that because he will be on the other side this year and because I don't think he's as bad as some do. He can dominate. I'm not sure why he isn't more consistent. The games I did watch he didn't exactly suck. Not like Jarvis Jones. I know! We don't want another Jarvis Jones era but I think Bud is going to brake out this year.

I believe Simon is an upgrade yes. Not that he's an outstanding player but he's better than Dupree imo. Dupree is fast once he's untouched and when he has room to run, but his first step is way too slow, he has no moves to shed blockers and he doesn't use his hands very well. Like effyou said he's better in pass coverage than in rushing the QB, but even there he's already been outplayed by Watt in his rookie year.

Simon had a PFF rating of 73.6 and was #40 of all the OLB last year, Dupree had a 55.4 rating and was #100. Watt was #46 with a 71.0 rating btw. Simon has also the advantage of being cheap. Dupree will make $9.2M next year. Way too much for a player of his level.

On Walterfootball Simon was ranked as the 3rd best player overall being cut:
http://www.walterfootball.com/toprostercuts.php
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

I believe Simon is an upgrade yes. Not that he's an outstanding player but he's better than Dupree imo. Dupree is fast once he's untouched and when he has room to run, but his first step is way too slow, he has no moves to shed blockers and he doesn't use his hands very well. Like effyou said he's better in pass coverage than in rushing the QB, but even there he's already been outplayed by Watt in his rookie year.

Simon had a PFF rating of 73.6 and was #40 of all the OLB last year, Dupree had a 55.4 rating and was #100. Watt was #46 with a 71.0 rating btw. Simon has also the advantage of being cheap. Dupree will make $9.2M next year. Way too much for a player of his level.

Reading thru what you posted here it seems Simon would be a nice upgrade.

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 am

@Stella Nation wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:

I stand corrected. Here is why I'm not real big on stats. If you look close Simon has a higher rating than Watt. No way this guy is better than Watt and gets cut by Indi. I want to see if Dupree has a better year. If he doesn't than I'm onboard with you.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 am

They signed Trey Edmunds to the practice squad but no word yet on any other signings. One would think it'd definitely be OLB with only three OLBs on the roster currently since Adeniyi is out for an injury. Simon could be a good depth signing, he doesn't need to come in and start, I think Butler will definitely be rotating guys out to get fresh legs out on the field for our pass rush.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 am

The Trey Edmunds signing feels like what they did with Vince William's brother.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 am

@jak341 wrote:
The Trey Edmunds signing feels like what they did with Vince William's brother.

I thought the same thing. Hopefully he's not a head case.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:27 am

@jak341 wrote:

Forget everything I've said here. Not going to happen. I think the metaphorical bridges were burnt yesterday.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am

Steelers don't have a reliable 3rd receiver. Dez Bryant is still available. Just saying...
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 am

@jak341 wrote:
Steelers don't have a reliable 3rd receiver. Dez Bryant is still available. Just saying...

He'd sign then hold out with Bell. Sorry. Don't need his drama. Besides we have this dude named Washington who I hope will be ready soon. Why we kept Hunter with his track record I can't imagine except they thought "this time it's going to be different".
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am

@jak341 wrote:

I agree with Dave. We should see Washington in that role soon. Hopefully Sunday.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I agree with Dave. We should see Washington in that role soon. Hopefully Sunday.

Thanks Wally. Checks in the mail
Seriously I would like to see Washington and Samuels (just to spell Connor or even at TE) on the field Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roster move coming?   

Back to top Go down

Roster move coming?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: