HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 
 

 fire the coach

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515



Posts : 3397
Likes : 554
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

PostSubject: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm

since the Steelers started the season with a tie in Cleveland at some point this season we might need this thread.

_________________
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 97
Likes : 18
Join date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Remember the Patriots* got blown out by KC last year in the season opener.

Its one game.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

avatar

Posts : 384
Likes : 73
Join date : 2015-04-16
Location : Pacific rim

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
Remember the Patriots** got blown out by KC last year in the season opener.  

Its one game.

Its not one game, this has been going on for a while.

And Tomlin isn’t Belichek.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17540
Likes : 1468
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm certainly not going to join the "fire Tomlin" camp, but I am getting tired of his inability to get this team to not play down to the level of the competition. It's an ongoing problem, and something needs to change. There's not a lot of room for error in the NFL ... you need to win the games you're supposed to win.

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 97
Likes : 18
Join date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 pm

@Steeler-in-west wrote:
@nine vegetable wrote:
Remember the Patriots*** got blown out by KC last year in the season opener.  

Its one game.

Its not one game, this has been going on for a while.

And Tomlin isn’t Belichek.

Dude - Nobody is Belichick but Belichick.

And speaking of which - 5 win (from 2017) Houston made it tough on NE today. AND....nearly beat them last year.

The point is, everyone in football struggles with it, not just the Steelers.

"You aren't appreciably better or more talented than anyone else in the NFL."

I don't remember who said it but its true.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

avatar

Posts : 384
Likes : 73
Join date : 2015-04-16
Location : Pacific rim

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 pm

@nine vegetable wrote:
@Steeler-in-west wrote:
@nine vegetable wrote:
Remember the Patriots***** got blown out by KC last year in the season opener.  

Its one game.

Its not one game, this has been going on for a while.

And Tomlin isn’t Belichek.

Dude - Nobody is Belichick but Belichick.

And speaking of which - 5 win (from 2017) Houston made it tough on NE today.  AND....nearly beat them last year.

The point is, everyone in football struggles with it, not just the Steelers.

"You aren't appreciably better or more talented than anyone else in the NFL."

I don't remember who said it but its true.

I don’t buy that.
For being this talented as they are and legit super bowl contenders, the Steelers have become especially good at underperforming. They’ve been doing it for a long time now. The Patriots* have consistently done more with less, I hate to say it but it’s true. I’m not calling for Tomlin to be fired this season either - but I know better now than to expect this coaching staff to change and suddenly run a tight ship. Jacksonville was the last straw. They are what they are. I’ve been following the Steelers for a long freakin time and always will so I hope I’m wrong but sorry, I just don’t share your optimism.
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb


Posts : 97
Likes : 18
Join date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 pm

I understand your perspective and I respect it. I even agree with it to some extent. I am extremely disappointed our Steelers couldn't have finished it off today. And yes - too many poor efforts against weak teams. I do believe a lot of teams struggle with it too, though.

Belichick is the best coach in football, hands off. I can't stand NE or him but I respect his ability to get the most out of his players.

I do believe the Steelers - and that includes Tomlin - have done a great job developing players into star, that wouldn't have been in other organizations. My opinion, AB is darned lucky he was drafted by Pittsburgh. They helped him develop and put him in position to become a star. On a lot of teams he probably wouldn't have even made the cut.

So, I'm hopeful. Very disappointed in today but hopeful. And I think we are still a very good team and could still have a great year.

Let's hope for the best anyway.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel



Posts : 673
Likes : 165
Join date : 2015-05-14
Location : Myerstown PA

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:29 am

@Wallace108 wrote:
I'm certainly not going to join the "fire Tomlin" camp, but I am getting tired of his inability to get this team to not play down to the level of the competition. It's an ongoing problem, and something needs to change. There's not a lot of room for error in the NFL ... you need to win the games you're supposed to win.

Well said, I'd agree 100%. I wouldn't go so far as wanting the coach fired after today but the constant losing, underperforming, tying, weak and inferior teams is old and has been an ongoing theme during his tenure. The way the schedule is stacked this year there is no room for slip ups in games you should win. The 1 and 2 seeds in AFC usually are lost after after 2-3 losses. As it is the Steelers already needed to win a game or 2 against teams they weren't picked to beat to begin with. Now they have a Browns tie to make up. It's a long season, and I definitely remember years past (especially under Cowher) where a slow start to season seemed to bury things and they were still there at the end, so I'll cling to that for now.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17540
Likes : 1468
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
@Wallace108 wrote:
I'm certainly not going to join the "fire Tomlin" camp, but I am getting tired of his inability to get this team to not play down to the level of the competition. It's an ongoing problem, and something needs to change. There's not a lot of room for error in the NFL ... you need to win the games you're supposed to win.

Well said, I'd agree 100%. I wouldn't go so far as wanting the coach fired after today but the constant losing, underperforming, tying, weak and inferior teams is old and has been an ongoing theme during his tenure. The way the schedule is stacked this year there is no room for slip ups in games you should win. The 1 and 2 seeds in AFC usually are lost after after 2-3 losses. As it is the Steelers already needed to win a game or 2 against teams they weren't picked to beat to begin with. Now they have a Browns tie to make up. It's a long season, and I definitely remember years past (especially under Cowher) where a slow start to season seemed to bury things and they were still there at the end, so I'll cling to that for now.

Spot on.


_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

avatar

Posts : 3351
Likes : 582
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 am

I listened to this game on SNR and can't believed we choked like that. I'm sure it looked even uglier than it sounded.

This was a team in-effort. I was telling my grandson that you don't have 3 turnovers and win in the NFL on a regular basis. Then it was 4,then 5, and finally I was sitting there saying after 6 turnovers we were lucky to get a tie.

I can only imagine how painful this game was to watch.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

avatar

Posts : 859
Likes : 210
Join date : 2015-04-12
Location : Winchester, CA.

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 am

This was not on Tomlin. Ben made too many mistakes for a veteran QB. This game is on Ben.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 823
Likes : 155
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 am

@OX1947 wrote:
This was not on Tomlin. Ben made too many mistakes for a veteran QB. This game is on Ben.

Exactly. Ben is a good QB and on some days even a great one, but I think a lot of Steelers fans are overrating Ben. He's a top 10 QB, but not a top 5. Like I said in the gameday thread, I hate to say it but there's some truth in Jalen Ramsey's words. He's relying on his WR's and especially AB way too much to make plays for him. He's taking too many shots which lead to interceptions, you don't see the best do that. They're going for the open man or their star when he's single covered. They 're not going to throw in double or triple coverage which Ben often does.

Also, you really can't blame this game on Tomlin. The defense did a great job yesterday, but they were not helped by the 6 turnovers and the short fields. And you can't blame him for the Conner fumble either. That wasn't a bad play call, that was unfortunate and something that happens to every runner from time to time.
Back to top Go down
solardave

avatar

Posts : 3351
Likes : 582
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Something I haven't seen come up is Jordon Berry. Dude needs to go. He had one good punt and the others were lousy. We can't continue to give great field position to our opponents.

As far as Ben is concerned until last year we could always feel like the game wasn't over with him. Now not so much. Especially when he plays like yesterday. If this is in fact a decline then he had better pull himself up to try to get 1 more Lombardi or he may not even be a first ballot HOFer.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 823
Likes : 155
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 pm

@solardave wrote:
Something I haven't seen come up is Jordon Berry. Dude needs to go. He had one good punt and the others were lousy. We can't continue to give great field position to our opponents.

I couldn't agree more. Meanwhile Matt Wile, who we had in training camp and who was looking good in the last 2 preseason games, is picked up by the Vikings.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

avatar

Posts : 3229
Likes : 1198
Join date : 2015-04-11
Location : The Great State of Iowa

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 am

I'm tired of Tomlin's lack of discipline and poor coaching decisions. Tell your players to shut the hell up to the media instead of letting them do whatever they want because you want to be that cool "player's coach". I can tell you right now Cowher would've never allowed the total lack of discipline, and you can be damn sure The Emperor wouldn't have either. These guys often lack discipline (penalties, off the field distractions, etc...) and focus (not taking opponent's seriously enough). It's high time Coach T steps up his game and sets a higher "standard" for his players. I'm normally a Tomlin defender, but seeing these things time and time again is starting to wear my patience very thin.

As much as I hate guys like Belichick who have a proven history of cheating and trying to skirt the rules, he's an infinitely better coach than Tomlin at this point in their respective careers. Do you see Patriots*** players having this kind of drama between each other? Hell no. There's the occasional hiccup like the thing with Malcom Butler but they still manage to keep most everything in-house so it doesn't effect their on-the-field play. Tomlin needs to be more of a disciplinarian and less of a Cool Uncle figure. He doesn't have to be an asshole, but he doesn't need to allow these guys to run rampant in the media, on social media, etc...

He also needs to hold himself to a higher standard and stop making poor decisions in games. It seems like every time we play against inferior talent we always manage to play down to their level? Why is that? It's incredibly frustrating. To top it off they commit penalties left and right, and the coaches make horrible in-game decisions and it's like watching a circus. Tomlin has enough experience under his belt he should be running a polished, disciplined operation, but it sure doesn't look like that a lot of the time.

All of that being said, I think Tomlin is still a good coach, but he needs to pull his head out of the sand and start holding his players accountable. This team needs to toughen up and do their jobs. As much as it hurts to say it, I actually am starting to agree with Bradshaw and Harrison when they talk about Tomlin being too much of a "player's coach". Before I wanted to take it as two guys just being salty, but at this point it's hard to deny what they're saying.

_________________
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
RIP to the late great B.B. King the Mayor of Bluesville
RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

avatar

Posts : 17540
Likes : 1468
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

Great post, Iowa. You summed up exactly how I feel about Tomlin.

Regardless of how good a coach is, there comes a time when change is needed. Even if you've got a legendary coach. Four of the top coaches in the 70s ... Noll, Shula, Madden and Landry ... got to that point. The Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders benefited from change ....the Dolphins not so much, but it was still time for Shula to go. There just comes a time when change is needed. I'm not sure if the Steelers are at that point yet with Tomlin, but it's not unreasonable to start considering it.

I'm not suggesting it's Super Bowl or bust. Getting to and winning a Super Bowl isn't easy ... that's why in more thab 50 years, no team has done it more than 6 times. They just need to start beating teams they should beat. And not just beat them ... they need to win convincingly and stop playing down to the competition. I can't think of any other team that consistently plays down to the level of competition like the Steelers do.

_________________


If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

avatar

Posts : 3351
Likes : 582
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 am

Iowa and Wally I think you guys put it exactly right. Last year we played at least 3 teams with backups in and struggled to beat them. First game this year we played Cleveland and all but lost to them after having what should have been a comfortable lead.

Hey Tomlin: You need a new standard. Go back and study Noll. So what if Ben goes into retirement saying he hates you. So what if he asks BA to be his presenter to the HOF. This buddy/buddy BS has to stop.
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3397
Likes : 554
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 pm

I wouldn't mind if some how Ryan Day become the Steelers headcoach.

_________________
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

avatar

Posts : 823
Likes : 155
Join date : 2015-05-13
Location : Stella City

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:10 am

@effyou515 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if some how Ryan Day become the Steelers headcoach.

No thanks. There's a reason the Eagles let him go as a QB coach after only one season and that's that he's purely a college coach. His mentor is Chip Kelly and that says it all. The 49ers also let him go after one season as a QB coach. If you can hold on to a QB coach job twice, how are you supposed to be a head coach?
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3397
Likes : 554
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if some how Ryan Day become the Steelers headcoach.

No thanks. There's a reason the Eagles let him go as a QB coach after only one season and that's that he's purely a college coach. His mentor is Chip Kelly and that says it all. The 49ers also let him go after one season as a QB coach. If you can hold on to a QB coach job twice, how are you supposed to be a head coach?

i didn't know that much history about him.

_________________
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

avatar

Posts : 859
Likes : 210
Join date : 2015-04-12
Location : Winchester, CA.

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Plenty of us have told everyone how shitty Tomlin is as a coach. He consistantly gets worked by young or marginal QBs. He is not a good coach, never will be. He is George Seifert of this era.

Steelers from a coaching stand point are in a bad spot. There isnt anyone out there that they can get. The analagy I thought of is they have Kirk Cousins of coaches. Ya, he will keep you winning enough games to stay relavant but can't coach next level games.

Super Bowl 43 win took players breaking code (Harrison on the drop back INT). And Ben and Holmes playing street ball to win that game. Take that game out and his career is garbage. His coaching is garbage. Always will be.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
avatar

Posts : 727
Likes : 545
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah, I won't go so far as some people I know, that want us to go 0-15-1 so that Tomlin gets fired. I'm not sure if a coach change is the solution. We definitely need someone that holds the players more accountable though.

_________________
Back to top Go down
effyou515



Posts : 3397
Likes : 554
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : from upper Ohio Valley to Conyers Ga.

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Hope they start Dobbs next week

3 different offensive coordinators, 1 starting QB, same shitty offense, new OC lets try a different QB.

Steelers have a very good offensive line, running game and WRs seems like Ben might be the problem.

_________________
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
avatar

Posts : 727
Likes : 545
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : Gulf Coast

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
Hope they start Dobbs next week

3 different offensive coordinators, 1 starting QB, same shitty offense, new OC lets try a different QB.

Steelers have a very good offensive line, running game and WRs seems like Ben might be the problem.

Ben was off of the mark a few times, but I don't think he is the issue. The defense made Mahomes look like Tom Brady. He passed for 6 touchdowns. We couldn't stop the pass and couldn't stop the run. We put up 37 points, that doesn't point to Ben being the issue.

_________________
Back to top Go down
schillah

avatar

Posts : 183
Likes : 65
Join date : 2015-04-15
Location : NY

PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Mike Hilton "We had a lot of miscommunciations and blown coverages"

How is this still happening???????

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: fire the coach   

Back to top Go down
 
fire the coach
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: