HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

Is Ben running out of steam?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:42 am

I don't know the answer to this (not sure any of us do for sure) but I wanted to throw this out for discussion.

Do you guys think that Big Ben is running out of gas, emotionally, to play the game?

I suspect that might be the case. Perhaps his desire to play isn't as great as it once was?

To be clear, this is not a criticism of him. Its a hard, brutal sport and he's given a lot for the Steelers and the game, for years now. I have great respect for what he's done in the black and gold. But it takes a lot out of you - mentally, physically, emotionally.

What's your opinion guys?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Ben is a competitive guy and wants to win another Super Bowl to cement his legacy, so I have little doubt that his heart is still in it. His body, on the other hand, isn't as gung ho. Age eventually catches up to every player, and they can't physically do what they could when they were younger, and it takes them longer to recover. As the saying goes ... Father Time is undefeated. And unlike Brady, Ben's body has taken tons of abuse during his career, so we shouldn't be surprised that he hits the wall sooner.

With that said, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions based on last week's performance. I think it was just a bad game and nothing more. He's had them before. Every quarterback does. Personally, I still believe his bad performance can be attributed to rust because he didn't get much work in the preseason. He started slowly last season as well, and then turned it on. I expect we'll see the same thing this year. There will come a time when he hits the wall, physically and maybe even mentally, but I don't think he's there yet.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I think he has enough gas left in the tank to lead us to and win one more SB. Beyond that I don't think so. I look for this to be his last year. I know. I can't believe I just said that but I'm afraid it's true.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think it's the fact he's running out of gas to play the game, I think it's more his body can't sustain the pressure it's under to perform at this level.

Unlike the jackass in cheatersville, Ben has never been protected by the officials and the league. His body has sustained some hits which went beyond the game of football (some without drawing the ire of the refs or the league). Those hits are beginning to take it's toll on him.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:22 am

@stlrtruck wrote:
I don't think it's the fact he's running out of gas to play the game, I think it's more his body can't sustain the pressure it's under to perform at this level.

Unlike the jackass in cheatersville, Ben has never been protected by the officials and the league.  His body has sustained some hits which went beyond the game of football (some without drawing the ire of the refs or the league).  Those hits are beginning to take it's toll on him.

Your absolutely right! A sideways nose against the ravens come to mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 am

@stlrtruck wrote:

Unlike the jackass in cheatersville, Ben has never been protected by the officials and the league.  His body has sustained some hits which went beyond the game of football (some without drawing the ire of the refs or the league).  Those hits are beginning to take it's toll on him.

The only QB hit as much or more than Ben is Cam Newton and that's going back the last 7 years. Before that Ben has been the most hit QB. I agree it's not lack of desire I believe his "football" health is in decline and that's why I think this honestly could be his last year.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 am

THIS JUST IN: Ben has 2 elbows

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000962062/article/ben-roethlisberger-elbow-questionable-vs-chiefs
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 pm

He's not running out of steam. He's running out of a defense...GET THIS MAN A DAMN DEFENSE! !

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

the Steelers could save 17 million against the 2019 salary cap if cut before June 1st but will have 6.2 million in dead money. so I say this is Ben's last season with the Steelers.

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 am

Watching Ben this past Sunday, I think he's still playing just fine. Problem is that we don't have a defense and the offense is relied upon for everything. Ben played his ass off against the Chiefs and willed us back into contention in a game that looked like it was going to be a one-sided route early on. That last rushing TD showed me that Ben still has the heart, and still competes as hard as he can. He put his body on the line, and the defense let us down, time and time again.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:03 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Watching Ben this past Sunday, I think he's still playing just fine. Problem is that we don't have a defense and the offense is relied upon for everything. Ben played his ass off in the second half against the Chiefs and willed us back into contention in a game that looked like it was going to be a one-sided route early on. That last rushing TD showed me that Ben still has the heart, and still competes as hard as he can. He put his body on the line, and the defense let us down, time and time again.

From what I saw he was off the half but yeah he did give it a valiant effort the rest of the game. That last TD dive he was channeling Elway. Someone on this defense should be calling the rest of these guys out but who? TJ? Heyward? Pretty much the only 2 making any effort right now.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Ben still has some steam left, I just get tired when Ben gets greedy in the passing game this offense needs to work the run and short passes together to set up the down field strikes Ben likes.

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:23 am

@effyou515 wrote:
Ben still has some steam left, I just get tired when Ben gets greedy in the passing game this offense needs to work the run and short passes together to set up the down field strikes Ben likes.

We only criticize Ben when he misses those throws. When he's on no one throws a better long ball. I agree if he doesn't connect on the first or second long throw he needs to start checking down.We should be running early to set these up. Connor is proving to be reliable out of the backfield and is doing a much better job of blocking. If we get him going in the run game it sets up all kinds of possibilities like play action, RPO (just kidding) working the middle short and then take some shots. However we see Ben draw teams offside and take advantage of the free play and he's pretty damn good at that.

I think the O line needs to start opening up holes faster so Connor can get through in space. Use WR and TE to block around the edge. Unlike Bell Connor has the speed to get around that edge.

This game tomorrow will be a good test for us on both sides of the ball. My biggest fear is in our secondary. Someone not named Haden has to step up and at this point I don't believe that guy is on our roster.
Back to top Go down
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:34 pm

All Fichtner is doing is running Haley's offense like Haley ran it.

Week 1: Too much snubbing not enough playmakers on the field. 21 points.

Week 2: After giving the first two drives away with scrubs on the field RF leaves the playmakers out there, 35 points.

Week 3 same thing, too much subbing in the first half. Can't really judge them in the second half because they hardly had the ball.

Best set is 84/13/19 81 OR 89 (Not both) and 26

And get out of their way.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:35 am

@Crash wrote:

I agree. Why do you think that is?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:03 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Crash wrote:

Ben Roethlisberger,

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:02 pm

@Wallace108 wrote:
@Crash wrote:

Because it worked...IMO

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Ben is done. Stuck fork in him done. Tomlins lack of drafting talent skills and coaching are being exposed. This is going to be a long year.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 am

@SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Ben is done. Stuck fork in him done. Tomlins lack of drafting talent skills and coaching are being exposed. This is going to be a long year.

but I eat my spinach salad before every game.

Tomlin on the side lines, Tomlin talking about unleashing hell at post game interview.

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:51 am

I really don't think Ben is done at all. He is leading the league in passing yardage. That kind of speaks the opposite of "done" to me.

That being said, he needs help. He's 36 going on 37 years old. His body has taken a beating over his time in the NFL, and we can't have him throwing the ball 50-60 times a game and expect him to hold up all season. We absolutely have to get some kind of running game going, and the defense has to stop putting us at a deficit to start games so we can actually work on our running game. Everyone is so quick to blame Conner, and some are crying for Bell to come back. Bell is a dynamic player, no doubt, but I think even he'd be struggling with the way this O-Line has been playing through the first four games of the season. Conner needs running room, the O-Line has to understand that his running style is not patient like Bell's. Conner is more of a one-cut North-South kind of runner. Conner's got talent, that much was evidenced in the Browns game. Bell, also doesn't play defense, and even if he came back and gave the offense a lift, we're still dealing with a defense that's more like the Aluminum Curtain, than the Steel Curtain.

Back on topic though, I don't think Ben is done, I do think the rest of the team is wasting their best chance to win another Super Bowl before he retires.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:27 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I really don't think Ben is done at all. He is leading the league in passing yardage. That kind of speaks the opposite of "done" to me.

That being said, he needs help. He's 36 going on 37 years old. His body has taken a beating over his time in the NFL, and we can't have him throwing the ball 50-60 times a game and expect him to hold up all season. We absolutely have to get some kind of running game going, and the defense has to stop putting us at a deficit to start games so we can actually work on our running game. Everyone is so quick to blame Conner, and some are crying for Bell to come back. Bell is a dynamic player, no doubt, but I think even he'd be struggling with the way this O-Line has been playing through the first four games of the season. Conner needs running room, the O-Line has to understand that his running style is not patient like Bell's. Conner is more of a one-cut North-South kind of runner. Conner's got talent, that much was evidenced in the Browns game. Bell, also doesn't play defense, and even if he came back and gave the offense a lift, we're still dealing with a defense that's more like the Aluminum Curtain, than the Steel Curtain.

Back on topic though, I don't think Ben is done, I do think the rest of the team is wasting their best chance to win another Super Bowl before he retires.

I agree with you, Iowa Steeler. I think Ben is still pretty darned awesome. Not flawless but certainly has a lot going on still. But yes, a running game has to help him out. This is not a knock on Conner - I've seen Bell have games where he struggles too. But 6 straight series where we don't run the ball at all?

As a whole, the entire offense is wildly inconsistent. GOT to fix that! Definitely talent throughout, and guys like Switzer and MacDonald are showing that. We should be able to get first downs consistently - convert 3rd downs consistently - and Run The Ball consistently. Its rare that a team can line up 5 wide consistently, only throw the ball, and win. Balance is needed.

I still think Conner is a good back, and Steelers can win with him as the featured back. Not to say Bell isn't a terrific player and won't be missed - but ultimately, a guy has to want to Play Football - and I'm not sure Bell even wants to play the game anymore.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 am

After watching Connor yesterday It's obvious to me that he's not Bell. Bell doesn't punish people like Connor did yesterday. Connor wasn't known for being shifty either but leads the league in making people miss.

I for one don't miss Bell at all and think we're better off without him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Ben running out of steam?   

Back to top Go down

Is Ben running out of steam?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: