HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 am

it's time to cut some players in 2019.

Ben dead money $6,200,000 cap savings $17,000,000

Joe Haden $1,916,668 $10,000,000

Mike Pounsey $951,000 $7,000,000

Bell $14,000,000

2018 under the cap $7,508,482

2019 cap savings $55,508,482

plus the dead money coming off the 2020 salary cap.

the only way to get these players attention start fucking with their money. does Rooney have the balls to do it? some of the players starting this year would be good back ups.

the Steelers can right this ship if they want. I would give Tomlin another year.

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:49 am

Ben and Pouncey aren't going anywhere.

Rumors have already surfaced about Bell being traded.

Haden will probably be here another year, and I don't see a reason not to keep him here. He's a good player who improves our defense tremendously in an area that is terrible right now.

60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

I'm a STEELERS fan, but more importantly, I'm a DIEHARD FAN OF JESUS CHRIST!
But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust -Baron Batch
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

@effyou515 wrote:

Joe Haden              $1,916,668                   $10,000,000

Mike Pounsey           $951,000                      $7,000,000

Bell                                                           $14,000,000

2018 under the cap                                       $7,508,482

the only way to get these players attention start fucking with their money. does Rooney have the balls to do

it? some of the players starting this year would be good back ups.
the Steelers can right this ship if they want. I would give Tomlin another year.

How will gutting this team save it? Trade Bell and hope for a decent pick out of it. Use our picks to bring in real talent who can help. We have to do better in the draft but to dismantle the team tossing the only players that produce ( Bell aside) doesn't make sense. We're here right now mostly because of poor evaluation of draft picks. All the cap space in the world won't save us if we start doing business like Cleveland.

When we do sign a FA we need to do a better evaluation of their health. Most of our signings lately are guys who can't stay on the field. Examples being Hayden and McDonald. They can help in a big way if they stayed healthy.

I would like to see us win at least one more SB in my life time and IMO it'll never happen if we do what you suggest.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am

Seattle Seahawks: This sounds improbable, because the Seahawks just drafted Rashaad Penny in the first round, but a deal involving Earl Thomas (and a runner?) going to the Steelers for Bell actually makes sense for both sides. The Seahawks are not afraid to make bold trades -- see Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, Duane Brown and Sheldon Richardson. They obviously value the running game more than most teams, and Seattle desperately needs some playmakers that can create on their own. This is an organization that takes big swings, and obtaining Bell fits with that mindset.

Here is a move I could get behind. Rest of story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966195/article/debrief-week-3-new-hope-for-lions-leveon-bell-landing-spots
Back to top Go down
nine vegetable
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Wrong Pouncey. Last I checked, Mike is a Charger. Markice is a Steeler (hopefully for the remainder of his career).

SolarDave, I'm with you. Ben is still one of the best in the business, he will be a Steeler until he retires. AB, despite the drama, maybe the best in the business (needs to ditch social media though). Haden and McDonald have both proven what they can do when healthy. Let's hope they stay healthy.

You can't just 'plug and play' with a new player. That's Browns thinking.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

@effyou515 wrote:

the only way to get these players attention start fucking with their money. does Rooney have the balls to do it? some of the players starting this year would be good back ups.

That's something the Browns of the last decade would do.

What's your problem with Ben? We're fortunate to have him. He already had a great career here and is still performing on a high level. Just as fans might regret wanting Tomlin being fired just to find out that it goes downhill from there, the same will certainly apply for Ben. Franchise QB's are hard to find, they're not growing on trees. When you have one you cherish him. Dobbs and Rudolph are still unproven and there's only a very slim chance that one of them will become nearly as good as Ben. The last couple of years we've already seen a couple of QB's who played a few good games or even a good season and who were called the next franchise QB not living up to those expectations. Mariota, Winston, Watson, Prescott are all already declining because opponents now have tape on them. We'll see how Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Darnold and Mayfield will do in 2 years time. Good chance some of them will wind up in the Prescott category.

And like nine vegetable said, you got the wrong Pouncey. You can at least know your own players. And like he said, let's hope our Pouncey remains a Steeler for life. Just as QB's, good centers don't grow on trees either.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 pm

@Stella Nation wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

What's your problem with Ben? We're fortunate to have him. He already had a great career here and is still performing on a high level. Just as fans might regret wanting Tomlin being fired just to find out that it goes downhill from there, the same will certainly apply for Ben. Franchise QB's are hard to find, they're not growing on trees. When you have one you cherish him. Dobbs and Rudolph are still unproven and there's only a very slim chance that one of them will become nearly as good as Ben. The last couple of years we've already seen a couple of QB's who played a few good games or even a good season and who were called the next franchise QB not living up to those expectations. Mariota, Winston, Watson, Prescott are all already declining because opponents now have tape on them. We'll see how Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Darnold and Mayfield will do in 2 years time. Good chance some of them will wind up in the Prescott category.

And like nine vegetable said, you got the wrong Pouncey. You can at least know your own players. And like he said, let's hope our Pouncey remains a Steeler for life. Just as QB's, good centers don't grow on trees either.

Ben is missing to many deep throws the 1st sign he's done peaked and on the down side how fast he declines I don't know. the first group of QBs you listed doesn't have the offensive talent around them like Ben does. also I don't think Fichtner is really calling his offense but calling plays Ben likes.

everyone bitching about the defensive secondary. I thought Tomlin was an expert DB coach? I don't see it. seems like the only real way to fix it is though free agency and that is going to take money. since the NFL is now a pass first league I'd like to see 2 shut down CBs to take other teams top 2 receivers out of the game. which will really open up the defense for more QB sacks and shutting down opponent running game.

last night the Steelers defense looked pretty good when they were playing man then in the 2nd half they went zone and got ate up. but I'm fine reading posts about how the secondary sucks.

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:07 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@Stella Nation wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Ben is missing to many deep throws the 1st sign he's done peaked and on the down side how fast he declines I don't know. the first group of QBs you listed doesn't have the offensive talent around them like Ben does. also I don't think Fichtner is really calling his offense but calling plays Ben likes.Any coach who doesn't look to the strength of his personnel and design his game plan around that doesn't last long in the "Not For Long" league. The deep throws you are talking about are over thrown balls. That's an accuracy issue. All QBs go through times like this. If they were under thrown balls I'd see your point. Decline in arm strength is age related and I don't see that. The fact that he's willing to dive into the end zone tells me what little he has lost he will compensate with sheer will and I'll take that any day.

everyone bitching about the defensive secondary.If you watch the really good defenses the DBs can play either zone or man. So yeah I see your point but that change in the second half you're referring to is on Butler and Tomlin. Name one other team out there who has 6 SBs and has done it by building through FA.Even Belicheat stock piles draft picks through trades. I thought Tomlin was an expert DB coach? I don't see it. seems like the only real way to fix it is though free agency and that is going to take money. since the NFL is now a pass first league I'd like to see 2 shut down CBs to take other teams top 2 receivers out of the game. which will really open up the defense for more QB sacks and shutting down opponent running game.

last night the Steelers defense looked pretty good when they were playing man then in the 2nd half they went zone and got ate up. but I'm fine reading posts about how the secondary sucks.

If we could trade Bell I'd love to see us do it with Seattle. I'd take Earl Thomas straight up. Even Swap. He wants out of there and could be a huge upgrade for us. But dumping players who can still play at a very high level. C'mon Man. Take a look at the Redskins since Snyder has owned them bringing in high profile FAs only to find out there was a good reason for them getting dumped in the first place. How many SBs has he won doing it that way?

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:20 am

@nine vegetable wrote:
Wrong Pouncey.  Last I checked, Mike is a Charger.  Markice is a Steeler (hopefully for the remainder of his career).

solardave, I'm with you.  Ben is still one of the best in the business, he will be a Steeler until he retires.  AB, despite the drama, maybe the best in the business (needs to ditch social media though).  Haden and McDonald have both proven what they can do when healthy.  Let's hope they stay healthy.

You can't just 'plug and play' with a new player.  That's Browns thinking.

Thanks for the plug and I fixed it for you.

I wouldn't dump Mike either if we had him. Every week I hope and pray that McDonald and Haden makes it through the game without stubbing a toe.

They do more than enough when on the field to justify keeping them here. IMO dumping stars to bring in more "stars" that other teams don't want is a knee jerk reaction and since I have a degree in knee jerk reactions (all you have to do is read some of the nonsense I post in the heat of the games going south).

The fact is if we keep playing defense like we have so far we will have a chance to draft a can't miss player or two next year. I say defense because in 3 games we are averaging 29.33 points per game. If you're playing good defense that'll be enough to win even against the better teams.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:48 am

@effyou515 wrote:

everyone bitching about the defensive secondary.

With good reason. Go back and watch the highlights from Monday. Every big pass play and touchdown came from a breakdown in coverage by Sensabaugh or Burns.

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 am

@Lokki wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

With good reason.  Go back and watch the highlights from Monday.  Every big pass play and touchdown came from a breakdown in coverage by Sensabaugh or Burns.  

The secondary as a unit is garbage outside of Joe Haden. I watched these guys in person versus the Chiefs, I watched the entirety of the game on Monday. Burns/Sensabaugh would be lucky to be backups on just about every other team in the league. Burns was a reach, everyone said he was a reach when he was drafted. I tried to have faith in the front office that they just saw something that other teams didn't but it turns out Burns was in fact a huge reach and shouldn't have been drafted in the first round when there was other talent that's proven to be better. I knew the Steelers wanted William Jackson, well they should've traded up to get him. Sometimes you have to jump up to ensure you get the player you want. Too many times we fail to do it and another team ends up taking the guys we were targeting.

I feel like we've been trying to find a corner for what seems like forever. I miss the days of when Ike Taylor was in his prime and our secondary was a vaunted unit with guys like Clark/Polamalu roaming the back-end and making offenses pay.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:17 pm

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@Lokki wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

With good reason.  Go back and watch the highlights from Monday.  Every big pass play and touchdown came from a breakdown in coverage by Sensabaugh or Burns.  

The secondary as a unit is garbage outside of Joe Haden. I watched these guys in person versus the Chiefs, I watched the entirety of the game on Monday. Burns/Sensabaugh would be lucky to be backups on just about every other team in the league. Burns was a reach, everyone said he was a reach when he was drafted. I tried to have faith in the front office that they just saw something that other teams didn't but it turns out Burns was in fact a huge reach and shouldn't have been drafted in the first round when there was other talent that's proven to be better. I knew the Steelers wanted William Jackson, well they should've traded up to get him. Sometimes you have to jump up to ensure you get the player you want. Too many times we fail to do it and another team ends up taking the guys we were targeting.

I feel like we've been trying to find a corner for what seems like forever. I miss the days of when Ike Taylor was in his prime and our secondary was a vaunted unit with guys like Clark/Polamalu roaming the back-end and making offenses pay.

You and me both. I wish we could find guys like DeShea Townsend who are on the team for a few years and thru knowing the system and coaching end up a decent starter despite not being a high pick.

Secondary has kind of been a Steelers tradition like LB that just isn't there now. We had the good players you mentioned Clark/Polamalu/Taylor more recently. Going back to the 90's they had Woodson, Lake, Perry. I remember when Woodson tore his ACL game 1 of 95 season it felt like there was no replacing him but Willie Williams stepped in and did a good job that year. When I was a kid the end of Mike Wagner, Blount and Shell. Donnie Shell was amazing in getting INTs right when they needed it. It's hard to believe sometimes that the current D is starting 7 #1 picks.

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 am

@LambertWardSteel wrote:
It's hard to believe sometimes that the current D is starting 7 #1 picks.

Isn't that just ridiculous? All that 1st Round "talent" and nothing to really show for it. With that much alleged talent we shouldn't be hurting as much as we have since we lost Shazier, but losing Shazier exposed just how mediocre some of these other guys are.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:10 pm

if the Steelers lose enough games they might be able to draft a good CB.

on a serous note Troy and Ike seemed to get old at the same time and they were really the only the 2 good DBs on the team at the time.

maybe a very good CB will fall to the Steelers in the draft and buy another CB on the free agent market to go a long with Haden.

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:16 am

@effyou515 wrote:
if the Steelers lose enough games they might be able to draft a good CB.

on a serous note Troy and Ike seemed to get old at the same time and they were really the only the 2 good DBs on the team at the time.

maybe a very good CB will fall to the Steelers in the draft and buy another CB on the free agent market to go a long with Haden.

I'd much rather we win it all and since we can't seem to hit pay dirt on 1rst rounders maybe we can "phone a friend".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team   

Back to top Go down

if Mr. Rooney wants to save his team
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: