HomeFAQRegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Share | 

don't care what you think!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
effyou515

PostSubject: don't care what you think!   Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:48 pm

lets give dobbs or rudolph a start can't get much worse offensively after the shit play ben turned in sunday night.

ben has a damn good o-line and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL why have all this offensive talent when ben can't hit a broad side of a huge side of a barn. i am a shame being a steelers fan time to pack up my Steelers shirts until next year. hell Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins might be a better QB. Shocked he didn't just say that

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 pm

We're all frustrated but I'm definitely not packing up my gear, that's a bit too fairweather for me. No offense, I can't blame you for being fed up with the product we're being treated to on gamedays.

Ben really isn't the issue here. Yes he played poorly in the second half, and had the one stupid interception. But his offensive line was far from good. Ben was running for his life a lot of the time, in the first half the Steelers were at their best when Ben was running around and extending the plays. The Ravens knew that and made adjustments at the half. You can't forget that we were playing against the #1 Defense in the NFL statistically, that has to be acknowledged.

To say the offensive line was damn good tonight though... No. They were pretty horrible and have been extremely inconsistent this season. Their run blocking has been absolutely abysmal. They aren't giving Conner any kind of running room to work with. They have been decent in their pass protection but go back and watch the film from the game tonight. The Ravens were routinely whooping them. Suggs was taking Villanueva's lunch money. They practically lived in our backfield.

I am on the wagon though that this team just isn't very good. With all of the BS off-the-field distractions that started in the offseason and are still going on now, we are a team that looks to have zero chemistry and no desire to win. The distractions have caused a locker room divide and it's obvious that this team has been hurt by that. With all of the talent that we have, particularly on offense we shouldn't be playing as poorly as we are.

RIP Tyler Sash #9. Greatest Hawkeye Safety to ever don the black & gold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Mach1
Quest For Seven

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 am

I'm beginning to wonder if Tomlin has lost the team.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
We're all frustrated but I'm definitely not packing up my gear, that's a bit too fairweather for me. No offense, I can't blame you for being fed up with the product we're being treated to on gamedays.

Ben really isn't the issue here. Yes he played poorly in the second half, and had the one stupid interception. But his offensive line was far from good. Ben was running for his life a lot of the time, in the first half the Steelers were at their best when Ben was running around and extending the plays. The Ravens knew that and made adjustments at the half. You can't forget that we were playing against the #1 Defense in the NFL statistically, that has to be acknowledged.

To say the offensive line was damn good tonight though... No. They were pretty horrible and have been extremely inconsistent this season. Their run blocking has been absolutely abysmal. They aren't giving Conner any kind of running room to work with. They have been decent in their pass protection but go back and watch the film from the game tonight. The Ravens were routinely whooping them. Suggs was taking Villanueva's lunch money. They practically lived in our backfield.

I am on the wagon though that this team just isn't very good. With all of the BS off-the-field distractions that started in the offseason and are still going on now, we are a team that looks to have zero chemistry and no desire to win. The distractions have caused a locker room divide and it's obvious that this team has been hurt by that. With all of the talent that we have, particularly on offense we shouldn't be playing as poorly as we are.

I'm still a fan always be a fan but putting the colors away, the 2 shirt i do have were bought for by a family member.

you can hold on to the dream when Ben was a franchise QB dream but in reality Ben is not a franchise QB in this stage of his career. with this wet paper bag with holes in it defense this team needs the offense to win game which Ben never had to do as a Steelers QB. Ben always had a great defense to bale him out most of his career not this year. so I say Ben take that good shit or get off the pot. in other words Ben better start earning that 20 million plus salary and start winning games because this defense isn't going to bale your inept QB play.

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 am

A lot is going wrong here. The season is reminding me of the 81 season where they lost the first game to a Chiefs team they shouldn't have and it seemed to cast a shadow over the entire season.

Ben seemed really off in the 2nd half...was really off is a better way of stating it. Although the offense was a problem tonight I still feel the greater liability is the D. I can never remember watching the Steelers and feeling like it was a lost cause everytime the D was on the field. The Ravens didn't score a lot of points, but it just seemed they were pretty much able to operate as they wanted and move the ball. I read a stat at PPG that said the Steelers have been outscored 49-0 in the 1st quarter of the past 3 Heinz games.

At some point they need to look at solving some of these yearly issues. The D has basic fundamental issues year in and out. I don't understand how you can run a football team and have yearly problems with an inability to tackle.

They draft D high every year and none of these guys seem to become impact players. Granted they do draft low but with 7 #1's starting sooner or later they need to find the next Troy or Shazier. The offense does have some impact players and they have been taking them lower than defense in drafts.

Yeah it sucks. These are the type seasons as fans we just need to hang in there. I will watch every second of every game this year because it makes the future wins so much sweeter. I am glad the Penguins start this week and hopefully they can ease some of what's been going on with the Steelers.

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 am

I looked us up in the power rankings and they had us listed as "POWERLESS". I know most of us would not be upset to see Butler get fired but I'm starting to think we should fire everyone involved in the draft. Our draft process is looking more like the Browns in the last few years. At least the Browns shuffle them off if they can't play. We start them.

I turned the game off with 3 minutes left in the 3rd with the idea that if it was close I'd finish watching it today. I did record it but see no sense in watching the rest of it. I'm pretty sure it would just piss me off more.

There is so much going wrong with this team it's hard to know where to start.

We can't cover anyone. We can't tackle anyone. We can't block anyone. The only constant with this team at this point is we are consistently bad enough to lose week in and week out.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. We have no real leaders in the locker room or ( and this is the big one) on the field. This includes our coaching staff.

Tomlin keeps saying things like "these are grown men and know what's expected of them". I call bullshit. They're not acting like grown men. This is not new we've seen plenty of selfish  behavior for several years now and NO ONE is stepping up to put a stop to it.

Any defense that can force a fumble on the 1 yard line and recover it is capable of stopping their opponent most of the game. The confusion we see every game so far on defense is Butler's fault and if he's not getting the job done it's up to Tomlin to take over his responsibilities until he can "cut" him at season's end. And if Tomlin can't get these guys prepared then maybe it's time for him to retire BA style.

I know the season is far from over but it seems like it is over to me. My reference is we suck week after week on either offense or defense or both. We can be hot and cold but I'm pretty damn sure the hot water heater is plugged up.  

I'm not making excuses here but this is what I saw. The first 2 plays of the game there was holding non-calls on the Ravens. I saw 2 times they blocked in the back on punt returns. The TD to Collins happened because apparently the back field judge could not bring himself to throw a flag when TJ was being held. TJ got called once for illegal hands to the face that on the replay I didn't see it. If you're going to call an illegal block against Connor you also need to call the one where JuJu got blocked. I know it was minor but it's still the same thing. It was still a foul.

I watched the Browns play yesterday and even though they lost they're a better team than us right now.

I never thought I'd say I miss the days when we let other teams march up and down the field on us but stiffened up at the goal line and kept them out but I do. I never thought I'd say I can't listen to Tomlin's press conferences because it . He says the same thing every time we lose and does nothing at all to fix at least some of these problems. Let's see a show of hands. Who here thought we'd see CB by committee? In for 2 out for 2. WTF is that? High school?

There is so much wrong with this team right now we could write a novel about them.

Rant over for now. Next up. Remember you're only in for 2.
Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 am

I'm starting to think the problems are far bigger than simple fixes.

Ben and AB are getting older. Their production will begin to slide. It is inevitable. We may be seeing that now.

The run game is non existent. Conner just isn't getting it done.

The D is an absolute mess. It may not be able to be fixed n one season, or two, or three.

We had a good 3 year run here. The window with this group of players may be done. It may be time to reload and rebuild.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am

@jak341 wrote:
I'm starting to think the problems are far bigger than simple fixes. Agree.

Ben and AB are getting older. Their production will begin to slide. It is inevitable. We may be seeing that now. Disagree. I think AB still has plenty of game in him. Defenses are now game planning to keep him out of our plan. Ben can still play at a high level if he's not running for his life.

The run game is non existent. Conner just isn't getting it done. Disagree. The problem here is just as much the O line playing like crap.

The D is an absolute mess. It may not be able to be fixed n one season, or two, or three.No one in his right mind would argue here.

We had a good 3 year run here. The window with this group of players may be done. It may be time to reload and rebuild.
Disagree. We have talent but no TEAM mentality and no leadership. I've seen us with a lot less talent do a whole lot more. The buddy buddy coaching is just as much a problem as the mentality. No strict authority here.

If we keep doing what we're doing we'll keep getting what we're getting. The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results".
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm

@jak341 wrote:

Ben and AB are getting older. Their production will begin to slide. It is inevitable. We may be seeing that now.

The D is an absolute mess. It may not be able to be fixed n one season, or two, or three.

I think Ben's elbow is still bothering him from week 1. His accuracy has been off ever since.

Conner had 9 carries last night. We were playing from behind for much of the game and our Oline wasn't getting him much to work with because they were getting dominated by the Ravens.

Ever since Shazier went down, it has exposed just how bad our defense was. He covered up a lot of the issues. Butler not putting any pressure on Flacco didn't help the secondary any either. Flacco had all day to pick us apart.

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Fitchner needs to grow a pair and run this offense, Letting Ben call the shots is not working...Haley ran a balanced Offense, and even though he could be a prick, he knew how call a game. Butler and Porter need to go..Tomlin to if he offers any Pushback on that, Butler has no idea how to scheme effectively, and i don't see any growth from any LB Porter gets his hands on...time for some changes
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Butler looks like Franklin the Turtle when he stands on the sideline.  

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:26 am

@Lokki wrote:
@jak341 wrote:

I think Ben's elbow is still bothering him from week 1.  His accuracy has been off ever since.

Conner had 9 carries last night.  We were playing from behind for much of the game and our Oline wasn't getting him much to work with because they were getting dominated by the Ravens.  

Ever since Shazier went down, it has exposed just how bad our defense was.  He covered up a lot of the issues.  Butler not putting any pressure on Flacco didn't help the secondary any either.  Flacco had all day to pick us apart.  

I agree. He was wearing some kind of compression sleeve on it against the Ravens as well. Ben doesn't usually wear anything like that. I think he's banged up, and it probably doesn't help he's having to throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Being 36 years old and throwing it that much can't be good for his shoulder.

It doesn't help he has no running game to take some of the pressure off of him, part of that is because we are missing Bell's ability to make something out of nothing. The bigger part however is an o-line that isn't getting the job done. I don't know if it's because they're accustomed to blocking for Bell's more hesitant running style, or if it's just poor run blocking in general. Either way, the o-line wants to tell Bell through the media that they made his career, well then put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Conner getting hit consistently in the backfield isn't helping out our run game. Neither is our defense giving up 2-3TD leads every game and forcing our offense to play from behind.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 am

I agree Ben's elbow is probably a big part of his problem and throwing 50-60 times a game is brutal but that doesn't explain all the INTs carrying over from last year. It's also poor decisions on his part plus guys not fighting for the ball. I thought we would see more combat catches when we got rid of Bryant.
I like Switzer and what he brings but I for one want to see what Washington is capable of in the slot.

Iowa's right the O line needs to create lanes for Connor. Dude's doing everything they ask. Picking up blitzes and doing better than OK at that. To say he's not getting the job done I think is unfair. To me he's a breath of fresh air. Unselfish and trying to get better every week.

AB needs to grow up and come to grips with the fact that there are other quite capable receivers on the field with him. Maybe watching some game film on guys like Larry Fitzgerald or even going back to Hines and Marvin Harrison. Right now he's more like Dez Bryant and T.O.

Mike Mayock is someone I respect and he had Burns during the draft ranked 3rd among DBs so I think he saw talent there but what he didn't see I think is the mental fortitude that right now he doesn't have and maybe never will.

I have seen worse talent on other teams with much more success due to coaching. It's fine to say "we're going to role with who we have" and "the standard is the standard" but if you are going to say these things you had better create a DAMN standard. I said it before and I'll say it again about Tomlin.

"What you're doing speaks so loud that I can't hear what you're saying"!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 am

@solardave wrote:
I agree Ben's elbow is probably a big part of his problem and throwing 50-60 times a game is brutal but that doesn't explain all the INTs carrying over from last year. It's also poor decisions on his part plus guys not fighting for the ball. I thought we would see more combat catches when we got rid of Bryant.
I like Switzer and what he brings but I for one want to see what Washington is capable of in the slot.

Iowa's right the O line needs to create lanes for Connor. Dude's doing everything they ask. Picking up blitzes and doing better than OK at that. To say he's not getting the job done I think is unfair. To me he's a breath of fresh air. Unselfish and trying to get better every week.

AB needs to grow up and come to grips with the fact that there are other quite capable receivers on the field with him. Maybe watching some game film on guys like Larry Fitzgerald or even going back to Hines and Marvin Harrison. Right now he's more like Dez Bryant and T.O.

Mike Mayock is someone I respect and he had Burns during the draft ranked 3rd among DBs so I think he saw talent there but what he didn't see I think is the mental fortitude that right now he doesn't have and maybe never will.

I have seen worse talent on other teams with much more success due to coaching. It's fine to say "we're going to role with who we have" and "the standard is the standard" but if you are going to say these things you had better create a DAMN standard. I said it before and I'll say it again about Tomlin.

The Standard seems to be mental miscues, miscommunication, lack of effort, lack of discipline, playing down to inferior competition, social media distractions, etc... That's the new Standard. I'm sick of hearing Tomlin's same-old-story explanations following these horrendous showings. I want to see the Tomlin that benched Rashard Mendenhall when he wasn't going along with the program. I want to see the Tomlin that challenges his players to be better, and maybe attacks their manhood a little bit to get the message across. Tomlin has gotten soft and it's apparent to me at this point that he really doesn't have control over his locker room.

I thought it was ridiculous and petty when Harrison called Tomlin out to the media, now I'm starting to understand that the things that Harrison was saying have some truth to them.

Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 am

@IowaSteeler927 wrote:
@solardave wrote:

The Standard seems to be mental miscues, miscommunication, lack of effort, lack of discipline, playing down to inferior competition, social media distractions, etc... That's the new Standard. I'm sick of hearing Tomlin's same-old-story explanations following these horrendous showings. I want to see the Tomlin that benched Rashard Mendenhall when he wasn't going along with the program. I want to see the Tomlin that challenges his players to be better, and maybe attacks their manhood a little bit to get the message across. Tomlin has gotten soft and it's apparent to me at this point that he really doesn't have control over his locker room.

I thought it was ridiculous and petty when Harrison called Tomlin out to the media, now I'm starting to understand that the things that Harrison was saying have some truth to them.

Spot on. I'll add that it seems like part of this Standard is Tomlin trying to baffle us with bullshit instead of dazzling us with brilliance.
At the end of Noll's tenure one knock on him was that he lost the locker room. I looked at it as the changing of the guard. A softer league. Like Art Donovan called them "a bunch of pansy's".

In Noll's case I think the league passed him by. In Tomlin's case it's different. He's not willing to do the things that need to be done to restore order and balance and I believe it will bite him in the ass sooner than later. Because of the Steeler's reputation for stability it hasn't yet but I think it will soon.

If we end up with a losing record this year I don't think Art II will be so patient. I'm pretty sure Wally touched on how Art is not his Dad and we have already seen some uncharacteristic moves since he has taken over.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:41 am

what stop Noll's Steelers in the 80's was no league salary cap and Pittsburgh being a small market team, not drafting Dan Marino the 27th pick drafting Gabe Rivera's 21st pick great talent but unfortunate drunken car accident. 28th pick Mark Malone's knee injury was never the same afterwards. the game didn't pass Noll by just bad luck.

Noll didn't lose the locker room at the end of his career he left Cowher a super bowl quality team but age caught up with him.

learn a little Steelers history

a football life Chuck Noll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNe7HsgCwhg

the Steelers need a headcoach who can evaluate talent and teach that talent to play the game correctly in today NFL. not a sociology major who's buddy buddy with fellow coaches and players and feeds you what he thinks what you want to hear.

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm

we don't need no stinkin linebackers....we'll just reach and draft more safeties and play super cool sub packages with 5 safeties...that'll fool em ...

i said it during the draft. they secured that third round pick for bryant, they should have moved up and taken the OTHER edmunds. the best lber in the draft.
Back to top Go down
solardave

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:05 pm

@effyou515 wrote:
what stop Noll's Steelers in the 80's was no league salary cap and Pittsburgh being a small market team, not drafting Dan Marino the 27th pick drafting Gabe Rivera's 21st pick great talent but unfortunate drunken car accident. 28th pick Mark Malone's knee injury was never the same afterwards. the game didn't pass Noll by just bad luck.

Noll didn't lose the locker room at the end of his career he left Cowher a super bowl quality team but age caught up with him.

the Steelers need a headcoach who can evaluate talent and teach that talent to play the game correctly in today NFL. not a sociology major who's buddy buddy with fellow coaches and players and feeds you what he thinks what you want to hear.

Funny you posted this clip. I've been using a saying that I wasn't sure where I head it but Noll says it in the first couple seconds.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 pm

@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

Funny you posted this clip. I've been using a saying that I wasn't sure where I head it but Noll says it in the first couple seconds.

I've been reviewing the posts on this board and I can tell ya with all the miss spellings all the bad grammar I'm going have to cut most of you.

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:21 am

@effyou515 wrote:
@solardave wrote:
@effyou515 wrote:

I've been reviewing the posts on this board and I can tell ya with all the miss spellings all the bad grammar I'm going have to cut most of you.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:01 am

@effyou515 wrote:

misspellings and all the bad grammar

Back to top Go down
jak341

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:22 am

Seems like a good place to drop this. Bob Labiola of Steelers.com on what the team needs to do to turn this around.

https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-a-recipe-for-saving-this-steelers-season
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: don't care what you think!   

Back to top Go down

don't care what you think!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: